Quick Observations

KRL

It's always nice to win but it was a 1 win team that we beat, so let's not get crazy:

- The best way to describe Bryce Petty's performance is, uneven but intriguing.
He was better than the LA game but he has a ton of work to do on trusting his eyes.
At least 3 of the sacks were because he held the ball too long because he was confused
by the coverage.  And he double clutches too much because he doesn't trust himself to
throw into NFL windows.  But he shows excellent arm strength, toughness and an ability
to make plays when things break down.  Let's see how much he can improve in the final
three games.  And finally he has to develop better chemistry with ALL the WR's not just
Robby Anderson

- Excellent game from Juston Burris after so many games of soft CB coverage it was a
pleasure to see someone play physical.  Bowles should've gotten him reps earlier in the
year with the decline of Revis

- Nice that Jordan Jenkins got in on a sack BUT he and Freddie Bishop were awful setting the
edge in our run defense.  You can't get caved in everytime an outside run comes to your side

- Props to Leonard Williams for his play this year, he and Steve McLendon were the only ones
who were consistent on the DLine.  Williams plays hard every play no matter what the score 
and is on his way to 10 sacks in his second year

- MVP of the game goes to Bilal Powell without him they don't come back.  He carried the offense

Thanks KRL. Catapano was also horrific in setting the edge. The LB corps acted like that was not part of their job description. Jenkins is a big hitter. That sack was a good text book tackle of a very difficult QB. 

Petty just needs work. That injury set him back. I think the re-signing of Futz hurt him and Hack even more. TB should have went to the bullpen after the KC debacle. BP was clearly the Man on offense. Leo is the DMVP. He is not a NT as the49'ers gashed the Jets often, particularly early on. Good to see the D make some difficult but needed stops.

ST was solid also. Big leg work from Folk. Hope that the Jets draft a RB. You can really see how much it helps a young QB or any QB for that matter. Robby Anderson is starting to break out. 

43 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Thanks KRL. Catapano was also horrific in setting the edge. The LB corps acted like that was not part of their job description. Jenkins is a big hitter. That sack was a good text book tackle of a very difficult QB. 

Petty just needs work. That injury set him back. I think the re-signing of Futz hurt him and Hack even more. TB should have went to the bullpen after the KC debacle. BP was clearly the Man on offense. Leo is the DMVP. He is not a NT as the49'ers gashed the Jets often, particularly early on. Good to see the D make some difficult but needed stops.

ST was solid also. Big leg work from Folk. Hope that the Jets draft a RB. You can really see how much it helps a young QB or any QB for that matter. Robby Anderson is starting to break out. 

I think McCLendon being out also contributed to the gashing by Hyde

Comfort in the pocket comes with years of experience. How long has Fitz been in the league & he still doesn't feel pressure at times & holds the ball too long (End of the Cheaters game).

What Petty has similar to Favre is you don't want him moving around because he's got good instincts when things break down & he has the arm to deliver anywhere on the field. Unlike Fitz, who can't get the ball to you (so WRs give up), if Bryce scrambles you better move around because the ball may be coming & fast.

Belichick is gonna squeeze the pocket & keep him there & make his reads, guaranteed lol. I'm calling 3 picks in that one if the run game stalls. Pretty good test next week as Miami has a good pass rush & our line is Swiss cheese. Petty will be edgy as he's not gonna have a lot of time. My biggest fear is that Bryce is more Browning Nagle than Brett Favre but maybe, just this time, we get lucky & Petty becomes our guy. He's got moxie & determination in his favor & he can sling it like his idol. WRs are gonna have to get use to his passes as he throws darts compared to Fitz balloons. Marshall needs to keep his head in the game & come on board, if not try to trade him or release him & save the money.

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Hyde gashed them with mostly with outside runs. As previously mentioned, the OLBs were all terrible at containment. 

This offseason the Jets need to focus on rebuilding the O-Line.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

It's always nice to win but it was a 1 win team that we beat, so let's not get crazy:

He was better than the LA game but he has a ton of work to do on trusting his eyes.
At least 3 of the sacks were because he held the ball too long because he was confused
by the coverage.  And he double clutches too much because he doesn't trust himself to
throw into NFL windows.  But he shows excellent arm strength, toughness and an ability
to make plays when things break down.  Let's see how much he can improve in the final
three games.  And finally he has to develop better chemistry with ALL the WR's not just
Robby Anderson

- Excellent game from Juston Burris after so many games of soft CB coverage it was a
pleasure to see someone play physical.  Bowles should've gotten him reps earlier in the

- Nice that Jordan Jenkins got in on a sack BUT he and Freddie Bishop were awful setting the
edge in our run defense.  You can't get caved in everytime an outside run comes to your side

- Props to Leonard Williams for his play this year, he and Steve McLendon were the only ones
who were consistent on the DLine.  Williams plays hard every play no matter what the score 

- MVP of the game goes to Bilal Powell without him they don't come back.  He carried the offense

Two things:  Petty showed doggedness and toughness, and he came from behind.  Very uneven, but better as the game went on.  I saw the report card, but his numbers were okay. I would have given him a C+. A full grade for winning.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Robby Anderson

Good stuff.  Appreciate the observations. 

3 hours ago, KRL said:

This is something I have been harping on all season. With Revis and Skrine playing so poorly and Burris having a really solid pre-season and camp I desperately wanted Bowles to give him more opportunities on the outside. He is a prototypical man-press corner and is nicely suited to play on the outside with his skill set, size and speed.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the Jets bite the bullet and eat a bunch of guaranteed $$$ to part ways with Skrine, Revis and Gilchrist. Instead, opting to sign a FA (Gilmore?), draft a CB early and play Burris on the outside with Roberts in the slot (where he is used to playing). Macc needs to scrap his original plan of rebuilding the secondary and start from scratch.    

3 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Hope that the Jets draft a RB

I am thinking if the Jets can manage to lose a few more games they will have a shot at Fournette. A super stud if his medicals clear and he shows up in tip top shape at the combine. 

But I would prefer a trade down scenario. We shall see. 

I think the 49ers did a good job of throwing confusing looks at Petty, which really tripped him up.  The interception was a big risk play by the 49ers, but they took a big chance on Petty making the simple read.  At the line, Petty sees the defender playing back a good eight yards away from his guy, so he does the quick pass to him.  95% of the time, this is a safe throw.  What Petty failed to see was that the safety was extremely shading to that side, instead of being in the middle.  This should have given him pause, but he tried to fit it in there, and it failed.  I think that is something that should improve as he gets better at reading defenses.  

I'm not sure why the media is hyping up Fitzpatrick as some kind of savant, helping Petty make reads.  It was probably one of his worst areas of strength, so what exactly is he going to teach him?  I wish we could bring someone in like Peyton to coach the team on pre-snap reads, and the repercussions of each player movement.  

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Robby Anderson

Petty was saying in the preseason the biggest change he felt from last year was he was trusting himself and letting it rip.

Seems he's lost that trust and he's very hesitant.  I wonder how much of that had to do with the early INT?

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Petty was saying in the preseason the biggest change he felt from last year was he was trusting himself and letting it rip.

Seems he's lost that trust and he's very hesitant.  I wonder how much of that had to do with the early INT?

he let it rip on the pass to Enunwa. He needs reps like every young player at every position.

5 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I think the 49ers did a good job of throwing confusing looks at Petty, which really tripped him up.  The interception was a big risk play by the 49ers, but they took a big chance on Petty making the simple read.  At the line, Petty sees the defender playing back a good eight yards away from his guy, so he does the quick pass to him.  95% of the time, this is a safe throw.  What Petty failed to see was that the safety was extremely shading to that side, instead of being in the middle.  This should have given him pause, but he tried to fit it in there, and it failed.  I think that is something that should improve as he gets better at reading defenses.  

I'm not sure why the media is hyping up Fitzpatrick as some kind of savant, helping Petty make reads.  It was probably one of his worst areas of strength, so what exactly is he going to teach him?  I wish we could bring someone in like Peyton to coach the team on pre-snap reads, and the repercussions of each player movement.  

They used to have Tom Moore (Peyton's old OC) as a consultant, but he has been with the Cards for a few years now. 

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

Indeed. And they will be primed to do so with Clady almost a certainly cut due to injuries and salary, Breno almost certainly cut due to salary, injuries and poor play, Ijalana a FA, Winters a FA, W.Johnson a RFA (he will surely be back), and Mangold's injuries and salary.

The only 2 'starters' that are pretty much guarantee to stay on the Jets are Carpenter (who has been solid as a rock), W.Johnson (who has filled in admirably for Mangold and is a RFA), and Qvale (who is a cheap, young, borderline starter).

I expect the Jets will bring back W.Johnson (I have no idea what they will do with Mangold) and I expect they will offer Winters a deal. Other than that, they will most likely address the other holes on the O-line via FA and the draft. That means we have Shell and Qvale as the only OTs and will need to bring in a big money FA to play LT and draft an OT early so he can step i at RT if Qvale or Shell don't improve.

A lot of work will have be done by Macc. I expect a lot of changes all over this team. But I also think with the right FAs and a little of luck at the QB position (Petty? Hack?), the Jets can be competitive next year. High draft picks will help.    

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Indeed. And they will be primed to do so with Clady almost a certainly cut due to injuries and salary, Breno almost certainly cut due to salary, injuries and poor play, Ijalana a FA, Winters a FA, W.Johnson a RFA (he will surely be back), and Mangold's injuries and salary.

The only 2 'starters' that are pretty much guarantee to stay on the Jets are Carpenter (who has been solid as a rock), W.Johnson (who has filled in admirably for Mangold and is a RFA), and Qvale (who is a cheap, young, borderline starter).

I expect the Jets will bring back W.Johnson (I have no idea what they will do with Mangold) and I expect they will offer Winters a deal. Other than that, they will most likely address the other holes on the O-line via FA and the draft. That means we have Shell and Qvale as the only OTs and will need to bring in a big money FA to play LT and draft an OT early so he can step i at RT if Qvale or Shell don't improve.

A lot of work will have be done by Macc. I expect a lot of changes all over this team. But I also think with the right FAs and a little of luck at the QB position (Petty? Hack?), the Jets can be competitive next year. High draft picks will help.    

The Jets obviously need an infusion into their OL. If Clady and Mangold were amenable to very reasonable contracts and pledged to train daily in Florham Park, I am not opposed to bringing them back and letting them platoon with the younger talent.  Assuming Dozier and Breno are sent on their way, that means we can bring in 2 new faces on the OL this year, and then perhaps replace Clady and Mangold next year.   I would also start the year with perhaps an extra lineman, planning for injury.  We can stash TEs on the practice squad.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Had more to do with him missing most of the year with an injury.

He was showing signs of out-growing that issue, and talked about it exactly that way, during preseason. Trust in your preparation, diagnosis and ability to execute can only develop with time seeing it prove out more often than not.

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

Shell looked decent in limited action. 

18 hours ago, varjet said:

The Jets obviously need an infusion into their OL. If Clady and Mangold were amenable to very reasonable contracts and pledged to train daily in Florham Park, I am not opposed to bringing them back and letting them platoon with the younger talent.  Assuming Dozier and Breno are sent on their way, that means we can bring in 2 new faces on the OL this year, and then perhaps replace Clady and Mangold next year.   I would also start the year with perhaps an extra lineman, planning for injury.  We can stash TEs on the practice squad.

Sure. I would not mind Bringing Mangold and Clady back- especially Clady- IF they were 100% healthy and reworked their deals. But its a catch 22. Typically, a low cap hit contract has more years on it with guaranteed money spread out. I don't want to invest long term in either player. Clady is one more injury away from possible retirement and Mangold is a couple of years away from possible retirement.

Having said that, the Jets can purge a number of other players that are under-performing and over-paid and have plenty of money to keep (re-work) both guys. When you look at the FA market, there are not that many good OTs available and relying on a FA to come in as a starter is tricky because there is no guarantee he will sign with your team. Clady may be your best bet on the blind side if he is healthy. Breno definitely needs to be let go. I like his mean streak but at his salary he is simply not good enough to be a starting OT. I'm not sure why you would let Dozier go. He is young, cheap, and versatile (can play C or G).

I'm really not sold on Ijalana and Winters. Both are FA's and I'm not sold on re-signing either one. Winters has held his own, but is he worth investing in? Ijalana has been solid as a starter but has also struggled on the blind side. Re-structuring Mangold and Clady may help a ton if the Jets decide to let Ijalana and Winters walk. Then you have Clady on the left side, Mangold at C, Carpenter at LG, and the Jets can bring in a FA OT to play RT, like Kalil from Minn. I would also assume the Jets draft an OT fairly early. So then you have W.Johnson, Dozier and the rookie OT as potential starters at the other Guard position. I mean, imagine the Jets draft C.Robinson out of Alabama. He would be a perfect fit at OG while he learns the game to transition to OT. Just an example. But again, with Dozier, Johnson and Shell, they may not even need to rely on a rookie.

The one thing you have to assume is that the Jets will want to upgrade the O-line b/c its almost certain that the Jets will push one of their young QBs to make a jump to starter. A solid run game and veteran O-line will be crucial for the QB's development. Bringing in a FA OT, holding on to Mangold and Clady, and resigning RFA W.Johnson may end up being the best option for the Jets upgrade the O-line. There is another wild card that may come via the draft. Because the Jets will have a high draft pick, the best move would be to trade down. But they can also decide to 1. Draft a QB. 2. Draft L.Fournette or D.Cook or 3. Draft the top OT (C.Robinson, McGlinchey, Ryan Ramcyzk). It depends on where they pick, who is there and what the QB and RB positions on the Jets look like as we approach the draft.      

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65598/a-few-revealing-trends-emerge-from-bryce-pettys-first-audition-as-jets-qb

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Bryce Petty's evaluation is far from complete, but he provided a few clues Sunday as to the type of quarterback he can be. One early thought:

He's better on the move.

Whether throwing outside the pocket, trying to avoid pressure within it or just scrambling for yards, Petty seems more effective when his legs are moving. That's what the next-level statistics tell us. That's what the film tells us. That's what Todd Bowles tells us.

"Some things he could've done better, but as the game went on, he got a little more comfortable and started using his legs better," the New York Jets coach said.

Let's take an inside look at Petty's performance in the 23-17 overtime win over the San Francisco 49ers, with help from ESPN Stats & Information.

Bryce Petty didn't throw from outside the pocket that often, but he was successful when he did. AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez

He didn't throw from outside the pocket that often, but he was successful when he did -- 4-for-4, 46 yards, including the 26-yarder to Robby Anderson that set up the winning touchdown in overtime. Inside the pocket, he struggled -- 19-for-31, 211 yards, with an interception and six sacks.

I'm no offensive coordinator, but it seems to me that Chan Gailey might want to call some rollouts, giving Petty a chance to throw on the run.

Looking at other aspects of his performance, Petty's ability to handle pressure was a good news-bad news situation. Things went well when he actually threw the ball under duress (7-for-8, 89 yards), but too often he held it too long, resulting in those six sacks.

He was more efficient when facing base coverages (four defensive backs), as opposed to nickel coverages (five defensive backs), which isn't unusual for inexperienced quarterbacks. He was 5-for-6, 56 yards against four DBs (a 105.6 passer rating), compared with 10-for-19, 71 yards, one interception and three sacks against nickel (39.6 rating). Memo to Gailey: Make the defense play less nickel by using base personnel more often.

As expected, Petty spent most of the game in shotgun (17-for-25, 189 yards, one interception, six sacks). He played most of his Baylor career exclusively in the shotgun, so there's a comfort level. Under center, he was 5-for-9, 58 yards.

Petty improved as the game progressed. The reason, according to Bowles, is because he tried to maximize his skill set.

"He got more relaxed and his competitive nature started to come out," Bowles said. "He forgot he was a first-year quarterback and he started playing more to himself, so that was encouraging."

Bowles tempered his praise of Petty, knowing the second-year quarterback still has a long way to go. He listed areas where he'd like to see improvement over the final three games:

Better command of the offense. Better command on the clock. Better game management. Improved reads. And so on.

Bowles wants to see Petty "get comfortable in the offense and allow himself to play more for who he is as opposed to just being in the system and allow some of his moxie to come out and some of the things he can do well, like moving in the pocket and getting his legs moving and involved."

19 hours ago, varjet said:

How many NFL teams use a platoon system at LT and C?

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

So him struggling in the pocket is 60% completion percentage at 11 yards a completion? He needs to trust his reads more but the kid has talent and intangibles out the ass. 

Agree

The things Petty needs improvement on  " Better command of the offense. Better command on the clock. Better game management. Improved reads."  Are the things nearly all young QB's in their first couple of  starts need improvement on.  Particularly when they are from a NCAA O like Baylor.  Plus the O line is very shaky.  

His strong points, very good arm, making good throws n the move, are something a young QB who is supposed to be a film junkie should be able to build on.   

When I saw Petty  Sunday my conclusion was he has all kinds of natural talent, toughness, and the respect of his team mates for a young guy.   What he needs is REPS, Reps and a few more reps.  If I'm the Jets I go with him next year.  Strengthen the OL to give him a chance..  He should have a decent WR corp.  Going to be a lot of growing pains, but  IMO he just might develop into a good NFL QB.

If he doesn't, at this point in time, the 2018 NFL QB class looks like a pretty good one, and the Jets will have an early pick.

If they send him to the bench, no reps, or cut him and bring in another retread QB to get an. 8-8 9-7 record, it's more of the same for the Jets for the foreseeable future.  

20 hours ago, PepPep said:

This is something I have been harping on all season. With Revis and Skrine playing so poorly and Burris having a really solid pre-season and camp I desperately wanted Bowles to give him more opportunities on the outside. He is a prototypical man-press corner and is nicely suited to play on the outside with his skill set, size and speed.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the Jets bite the bullet and eat a bunch of guaranteed $$$ to part ways with Skrine, Revis and Gilchrist. Instead, opting to sign a FA (Gilmore?), draft a CB early and play Burris on the outside with Roberts in the slot (where he is used to playing). Macc needs to scrap his original plan of rebuilding the secondary and start from scratch.    

I need him to do well. My NC State daughter is still pissed we didnt re-sign Cotchery.  Perhaps Burris will get her back into the scheme of things.

GO WOLFPACK!!!!

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

If he doesn't, at this point in time, the 2018 NFL QB class looks like a pretty good one, and the Jets will have an early pick.

If they send him to the bench, no reps, or cut him and bring in another retread QB to get an. 8-8 9-7 record, it's more of the same for the Jets for the foreseeable future.  

There is no way we have a .500 record next year, unless we get the worlds easiest schedule.  We will have less talent next year than what's currently on our roster, so it seems doubtful we are going anywhere but down.

This might be a good thing if we get a real qb in the 2018 draft.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:54 PM, sourceworx said:

Hyde gashed them with mostly with outside runs. As previously mentioned, the OLBs were all terrible at containment. 

without a doubt ....

8 hours ago, flgreen said:

Agree

The things Petty needs improvement on  " Better command of the offense. Better command on the clock. Better game management. Improved reads."  Are the things nearly all young QB's in their first couple of  starts need improvement on.  Particularly when they are from a NCAA O like Baylor.  Plus the O line is very shaky.  

His strong points, very good arm, making good throws n the move, are something a young QB who is supposed to be a film junkie should be able to build on.   

When I saw Petty  Sunday my conclusion was he has all kinds of natural talent, toughness, and the respect of his team mates for a young guy.   What he needs is REPS, Reps and a few more reps.  If I'm the Jets I go with him next year.  Strengthen the OL to give him a chance..  He should have a decent WR corp.  Going to be a lot of growing pains, but  IMO he just might develop into a good NFL QB.

Giving up already on Hack?

11 hours ago, kdels62 said:

So him struggling in the pocket is 60% completion percentage at 11 yards a completion? He needs to trust his reads more but the kid has talent and intangibles out the ass. 

I had some cheap Chinese food in the city last week and the next day I got that too!!

Archived