6 213 Tajh Boyd QB Clemson Compensatory

7 233 Trevor Reilly LB Utah

how does Horrific sound ?

IK contributed even if indirectly

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, man I remember that draft.  

I think almost every pick was a "WTF" moment.  It was just ridiculous.  We had a legit chance at Cooks/Allen Robinson tandem for a team that was trotting out there David Nelson, Greg Salas, and I believe Jeff Cumberland still.  

I still don't get why Idzik didn't try and trade some picks for the future, there were plenty of deals done, yet we sat there trying to talk ourselves into all these guys.  Enunwa was actually on the PS for most of that year, so anyone could have snatched him as well, shows you how much the GM thought of him.  

Now granted, there we guys that I missed out on as well (loved Arron Colvin as a prospect, and irrationally loved Done Moncrief) but anyone could have done better.  Anyone.  I think I was posting back at JI then, and I believe there were numerous mock drafts where guys picked so much better than Idzik (and where the players were actually available in reality- not like OBJ).  I can't believe how horrible of a draft this turned out to be.  

Back in '07, I wrote an "Anatomy of a GM" one on Omar Minaya, that got blasted by Met fans because Minaya was seen as the savior.  I really feel like there would be interest for an Anatomy of a GM: John Idzik potential with all his disasters.  

If anyone wants to see the Minaya one:

http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/29381-the-anatomy-of-a-gm-omar-minaya/

12 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Pryor has never been good.

Well this year proved that last year was an outlier, but there was production on a tangible level in 2015.  I wonder what 2017 has in store!?  On the real though, the second they picked him over Brandon Cooks and decided they were gonna pass on Allen Robinson/Devante Adams for Amaro, I knew exactly where this draft was going.  It gets said a lot from draftniks, but I could have actually drafted better than John Idzik.  Only thing I can hope for is that a solid coverage Safety allows Pryor to play comfortably at SS and he plays like the guy we saw in 2015.  Not that it matters much anyway.  The 2014 draft run by Scarecrow will go down in history as one of the biggest failures in draft history.  12 picks in one of the deepest drafts in history.  We have one player to to show for it.  12.  F*cking.  Picks.

Long story short:  F*ck John Idzik.

Lets not forget the three players selected after Jace Amaro in the 2nd round:  Allen Robinson WR Penn State, Jarvis Landry WR LSU, and oh yes Jimmy Gorappalo QB who might get traded for a first and 4th.

In the first Could have been instead of Pryor:  Brandon Cooks Wr, Kelvin Benjamin Wr, or Teddy Bridgwater.

Calvin Pryor- has been a decent starting safety. C-

Jace Amaro- had a good rookie season, then missed the entire '15 season with an injury, he's been mostly inactive for the '16 season. Incomplete

Dexter McDougle- missed his rookie season then came back in '15 and was primarily a special teams guy. D-

Jalen Saunders- got cut early in the '14 season and has proceeded to bounce around the league. F

Shaquille Evans- was injured for his rookie year, then got cut in '15, last I heard he was on the Jaguars practice squad. Incomplete 

Dakota Dozier- has mostly been a developmental player. Incomplete 

Jeremiah George- he was on our practice squad before another team claimed him. F

Brandon Dixon- he was on our practice squad before getting claimed by another team. F

Quincy Enunwa- was on our practice squad in '14, he was then given a chance in '15 and he showed some promise. He broke out in '16 becoming our leading receiver. B

Ikemefuna Enemkpali- he spent part of his rookie season on the practice squad before getting a chance later in the season. He showed some promise. He was cut after an ugly incident in the locker room, played decently for the Bills as a backup. D

Tajh Boyd- he was cut in the preseason. F

Trevor Reilly- solid special teams guy and backup line backer. Pretty good pick for a 7th rounder. C

So I have grades of 3 F's, 2 incompletes, 2 D's, 2 C's and a B. Overall grade D. 

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

D+ for one good year of Pryor and finding the now emerging Enunwa. That's it.

F*ck John Idzik.

Pryor has sucked from day one. I hate the guy. McDougle has been hurt and is not good enough. Wasted picks on Shaq Evans and Jalen Saunders. F. But that's what you get when you combine a bean counter (Idzik) with a buffoon (Rex).

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Amaro. Christ. It is absolutely mind boggling how bad the Jets have been in the 2nd round through like the last 4 GMs.

the thing is amaro was supposed to have good hands.  he did pretty well at texas tech with their chuck and duck offense.  who knows why he couldn't latch on with the jets.

46 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

Even with Enunwa this draft is an absolute  F.   Zero contribution from six picks in first four rounds. Amazingly bad.

in all fairness, a couple of those players wereclaimed by other teams and are making contributions.  but what is really bad are the 2nd and 3rd round picks.  amaro was horrible and macdougle can't get on the field.  considering that he was highly touted coming out of maryland and all the issues they had at corner you just gotta wonder.

It's a fair question, Saul, because it's three years. You can give a fair grade and overall not a good draft. The one player who is still truly on the bubble in terms of his career is Calvin Pryor. He's been up and down and 2017 should be a key year in his career. Right now he doesn't look like he should have been a first round pick. One criticism on Idzik for 2014 was for passing on good wide receivers and taking bums like Evans and Jalen Saunders. They actually drafted Saunders mostly to be a return man something the Jets desperately need. Even if his receiver skills weren't that good. He was a 4th round pick. But drafting Q kind of makes up for not selecting other guys available like Mathews, etc. There are guys from that draft who are still in the NFL. As fringe or backup players or on PSs. And remember most NFL careers are about three seasons,. 

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

D+ for one good year of Pryor and finding the now emerging Enunwa. That's it.

F*ck John Idzik.

Pryor did not play well for a year.  He sucked the whole time.  But some were fooled because he made a tackle behind the LOS every third week.

How many times do I have to point this out?

1 hour ago, August said:

Calvin Pryor- has been a decent starting safety. C-

Jace Amaro- had a good rookie season, then missed the entire '15 season with an injury, he's been mostly inactive for the '16 season. Incomplete

Dexter McDougle- missed his rookie season then came back in '15 and was primarily a special teams guy. D-

Jalen Saunders- got cut early in the '14 season and has proceeded to bounce around the league. F

Shaquille Evans- was injured for his rookie year, then got cut in '15, last I heard he was on the Jaguars practice squad. Incomplete 

Dakota Dozier- has mostly been a developmental player. Incomplete 

Jeremiah George- he was on our practice squad before another team claimed him. F

Brandon Dixon- he was on our practice squad before getting claimed by another team. F

Quincy Enunwa- was on our practice squad in '14, he was then given a chance in '15 and he showed some promise. He broke out in '16 becoming our leading receiver. B

Ikemefuna Enemkpali- he spent part of his rookie season on the practice squad before getting a chance later in the season. He showed some promise. He was cut after an ugly incident in the locker room, played decently for the Bills as a backup. D

Tajh Boyd- he was cut in the preseason. F

Trevor Reilly- solid special teams guy and backup line backer. Pretty good pick for a 7th rounder. C

So I have grades of 3 F's, 2 incompletes, 2 D's, 2 C's and a B. Overall grade D. 

Anyone that gives Pryor a C-, and calls him a decent starting safety, grades on some kind of wacky curve.  

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Enunwa is a legit player and Pryor was good last year. But thats about it. All the rest of those picks have not worked out. Dozier has shown some potential this year but is probably a decent backup at best.

Pryor wasn't horrible in 2015.  He was putrid last year.  A total liability in coverage.

Maybe the worst first round pick we ever made and that's saying something.  We passed on a ton of excellent players for him.

14 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

2014 New York Jets draft

Round Pick Player Position College

1 18 Calvin Pryor S Louisville

2 49 Jace Amaro TE Texas Tech

3 80 Dexter McDougle CB Maryland

4 104 Jalen Saunders WR Oklahoma Pick from TB

4 115 Shaquelle Evans WR UCLA

4 137 Dakota Dozier OT Furman Compensatory

5 154 Jeremiah George LB Iowa St

6 195 Brandon Dixon CB Northwest Missouri St

6 209 Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska Compensatory

6 210 Ikemefuna Enemkpali DE Louisiana Tech Compensatory

6 213 Tajh Boyd QB Clemson Compensatory

7 233 Trevor Reilly LB Utah

FAIL

2 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

FAIL

What was that like 12 picks?  One good player Enunwa.  That's really inept talent evaluation right there even a mediocre GM would be able to get 3-4 good players out of 12 picks

And the guys we pass on for Pryor: Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater ugh

F even with Q. Pryor was and is a HORRIBLE pick. The others are actually worse than horrible. Only thing keeping this draft from being a F- is Q. And Q is not a dominant player, either. This is a true statement:

WE WOULD HAVE DRAFTED BETTER JUST USING MAYOCK's OR SOMEONE ELSES DRAFT GRADES

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Pryor did not play well for a year.  He sucked the whole time.  But some were fooled because he made a tackle behind the LOS every third week.

How many times do I have to point this out?

I am in no way a Calvin Pryor defender, but by the end of last year his arrow was trending upward as a SS.  Then he did Calvin Pryor things this season and looked like the same lost goof from his rookie year.  It's very light praise when I say "one good year".

46 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I am in no way a Calvin Pryor defender, but by the end of last year his arrow was trending upward as a SS.  Then he did Calvin Pryor things this season and looked like the same lost goof from his rookie year.  It's very light praise when I say "one good year".

Fair enough.  But then you should say he looked average for a couple of months.  "Good" is a word that doesn't belong anywhere near him.

Honestly, I thought he raised his play from pathetic to below average at best.

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Fair enough.  But then you should say he looked average for a couple of months.  "Good" is a word that doesn't belong anywhere near him.

Honestly, I thought he raised his play from pathetic to below average at best.

Soooooooo...your not a fan?

20 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Soooooooo...your not a fan?

I have been Pryor's biggest critic, by a mile.  Even through that little period early last season when many around here began saying how good he was playing.  I kept saying he sucked and that people weren't looking close enough. 

He would make a tackle behind the LOS.  Yippee.  But Jet fans missed that he was beaten badly in coverage for potentially long TD passes by mediocre players like Ryan Mathews and Gary Barnidge... but nobody noticed because the QBs missed the throws.

23 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Amaro. Christ. It is absolutely mind boggling how bad the Jets have been in the 2nd round through like the last 4 GMs.

Lol, I remember arguing with people.  I said Amaro wouldn't be as good as Dustin Keller and a lot of people on this board weren't having it.  

23 hours ago, Pcola said:

While Pryor has really disappointed, what really makes it a terrible pick was that Brandin Cooks was sitting there.  This bullcrap take defense only first round is incredibly disappointing.

I Remember telling my son if they were going for defense and a safety I wanted Ha Ha Dix. He was more of a ball hawk than Pryor who was a harder tackler. Dix was the top safety and he went after Pryor to Green Bay. 

Archived