Clint Hurtt OLB Coach

NYDreamer

Hurtt is leaving to explore an opportunity with another club, a league source told the Tribune on Friday, meaning the team will be seeking new position coaches to develop further its two most promising young players.

The Bears blocked Hurtt from leaving to be the defensive line coach for Adam Gase in Miami at this time last year as he remained under contract. He was considered instrumental in the development of first-round draft pick Leonard Floyd. He also is credited with helping Willie Young make the move from defensive end to a stand-up outside linebacker, a transition that turned into a major success as he has had 14 sacks in the last two seasons after coming off a torn Achilles tendon.

3 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

I'm told good chance Clint Hurtt leaving staff to become OLBs coach on 2-year deal. At least 1 other team interested

Alex Marvez (@alexmarvez)

1/7/17, 3:59 PM

Confirmed: 2 sources tell @sn_nfl that Clint Hurtt leaving @ChicagoBears staff to become @nyjets OLB coach on 2-year deal.

A native of Rochester, N.Y., Hurtt had an outstanding prep career at Milford (Conn.) Academy. He graduated from the University of Miami in 2001 with a degree in criminology and liberal arts. His father, Clinton, played for the New York Jets and Baltimore Colts.

18 minutes ago, C Mart said:

A native of Rochester, N.Y., Hurtt had an outstanding prep career at Milford (Conn.) Academy. He graduated from the University of Miami in 2001 with a degree in criminology and liberal arts. His father, Clinton, played for the New York Jets and Baltimore Colts.

Good work C Mart as always .

Bears brought him in after Fox converted the defense up there into a 3-4... 

One of his big moves was converting Willie Young from DE over to OLB... And he's had 14 sacks since then... So that's at least interesting too. He might have a knack for noticing who might be able to play at that OLB spot... Could be good, we'll see!

He sounds like he was pretty popular on the Bears from a few of the chicago papers and blogs I've seen.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-clint-hurtt-latest-to-depart-bears-staff-20170106-story.html

Clint-Hurtt.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

Looking to re-build his coaching staff after firing five assistants at season’s end, one of them being outside linebackers coach Mark Collins, Jets head coach Todd Bowles has reportedly tabbed former Bears OLB coach Clint Hurtt for the spot.  Alex Marvez of the sporting news broke the story.

Hurtt has been with the Bears for three seasons and reportedly turned down a contract extension to make the move to New York.

It’s a two-year deal for Hurtt, who spent 2014 as an assistant defensive line coach with the Bears before spending each of the past two seasons with the outside linebackers.

The move also reunites Hurtt with one of his former pupil’s in Jets outside Linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin, who played for Hurtt at Louisville.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
tMa7EDaVXUA

Click here to read the full story...

Found a good read on Hurtt almost getting the Dolphins DL job prior to this season.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/20/chicago-bears-clint-hurtt-miami-dolphins-adam-gase

The Chicago Bears have blocked outside linebackers coach Clint Hurtt from becoming the Miami Dolphins' defensive line coach according to sources.

The move would have reunited Hurtt with newly-hired Miami coach Adam Gase, who was the Bears' offensive coordinator this past season. The 37-year-old Hurtt just finished his second season in Chicago and is regarded as a fast-rising assistant in NFL circles, but has a year remaining on his contract per the sources.

He's also attracted interest from other NFL teams and in the college ranks according to the sources.

Last season, Hurtt was the Bears' assistant defensive line coach before being promoted to his current position this past year. He's been instrumental in the play of outside linebacker Lamarr Houston, who had a team- and career-high eight sacks this season after tearing his ACL last year.

Hurtt has also tutored outside linebacker Willie Young, who had 6.5 sacks this season after a career-high 10.5 last year. Outside linebacker Pernell McPhee also played well for Hurtt this season before he struggled with a knee injury, but still finished with six sacks.

With Hurtt as assistant defensive line coach in 2014, Chicago's defensive linemen had 35 sacks, 14 more than the previous season. Prior to joining the Bears, Hurtt spent 13 years coaching in college with stops at Louisville, Miami and Florida International.

An acclaimed Miami recruiter, Hurtt played for the Hurricanes from 1997 through 2000. The Bears had a 6–10 record this past season in coach John Fox's initial campaign with the team.

Just now, TNJet said:

Is this guy even an upgrade over Collins? Never heard of him...I guess its mostly because he had close ties with Mauldin, one of my fav new Jets.

Check out the article I posted above.  Miami wanted him before this season but they were shut down.  He's had some young LBers play well under him.

Guess the question is if there is a tie between a Pass rusher at OLB and some other position of need for the jets like finally taking round 1 skill position types RB Cook, WR Mike Williams, etc. do Jets not take the Pass rusher since this coach might be able to increase greatly productivity of the OLBs we have.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I hope he can teach Sheldon Richardson how to be a good stand up linebacker at 290 lbs because that's gonna be key moving forward. 

You always blow things out of proportion. Richardson is going to report at 279lbs next season. Nothing to see here.

Why is this guy ringing some weird bell? I don't follow college ball and only look up what's coming near the draft, but for some odd reason, I vaguely remember some scandal over a loan or some crap.  Whatever, I'm sure it was small potatoes.  I didn't keep old year books when my Dad died except for '65 & '66 (dumb, I know), but Clinton Hurtt, Sr. is not sticking out to me. If he played for both the Colts and the Jets, musta been early 70s. I'm sure someone can find it if they try hard enough. 

13 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Why is this guy ringing some weird bell? I don't follow college ball and only look up what's coming near the draft, but for some odd reason, I vaguely remember some scandal over a loan or some crap.  Whatever, I'm sure it was small potatoes.  I didn't keep old year books when my Dad died except for '65 & '66 (dumb, I know), but Clinton Hurtt, Sr. is not sticking out to me. If he played for both the Colts and the Jets, musta been early 70s. I'm sure someone can find it if they try hard enough. 

it was LITERALLY the 2nd post and 1st reply in the thread. 

On January 7, 2017 at 2:43 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

Was a DL coach at Louisville and Miami before going to the NFL. He was caught up in the Nevin Shapiro scandal

Nevin Shapiro scandal

Archived