Please Jets Win

Ugh, I want the Jets to Tank again

Now I want the Jets to Win

Please Jets Win

Ugh, I want the Jets to Tank again

Now I want the Jets to Win

Please Jets Win

so true...

I don't remember a year where there was not a portion of the fan base wanting to tank...…...its an annual tradition unique to the Jet fan base...

Its always the next guy who will solve all our problems....

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, genot said:

Im real curious about the posters who want us to move on from Sam. If he's under center next year will you be rooting for him to suck, so you would be proven right about all your negative posts about him.

I want to see the team move on from him, really would like to see Wilson or Fields at 2.  But if Saleh/Douglas decides to stay with Sam for another year, of course I will root for him.  I am a Jet fan first, I couldn't give a rat's ass about being right.  I just want the team to win.  The fastest way for this team to get competitive is if Sam takes a big jump in year 4 and we use our draft capital and cap space to build around him.

What about you, if we move on from him and trade him, especially within conference, will you be rooting for Sam's new team or the Jets.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Absolutely.  I want to see the team move on from him, really would like to see Wilson or Fields at 2.  But if Saleh/Douglas decides to stay with Sam for another year, of course I will root for him.  I am a Jet fan first, I couldn't give a rat's ass about being right.  I just want the team to win.  The fastest way for this team to get competitive is if Sam takes a big jump in year 4 and we use our draft capital and cap space to build around him.

What about you, if we move on from him and trade him, especially within conference, will you be rooting for Sam's new team or the Jets.

I'll be rooting for the Jet's of course,as i have for the last 25 years. I'll be rooting also for Sam to do well, unless his team is playing us.

• Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, genot said:

Im real curious about the posters who want us to move on from Sam. If he's under center next year will you be rooting for him to suck, so you would be proven right about all your negative posts about him.

If Sam starts, I'll root but not like before.  I'll be more critical.  He's on a short leash.  He'll have to convince me he's improved and hit the ground running next year.

Sam needs a Josh Allen turnaround.  I watched Allen this year with my jaw open mumbling "Holy sh*t, who's that wearing Josh Allen's number".  I hope Sam does that. 

30 minutes ago, dcJet said:

If Sam starts, I'll root but not like before.  I'll be more critical.  He's on a short leash.  He'll have to convince me he's improved and hit the ground running next year.

Sam needs a Josh Allen turnaround.  I watched Allen this year with my jaw open mumbling "Holy sh*t, who's that wearing Josh Allen's number".  I hope Sam does that. 

We all need to hope that. It's possible that he is what he is. It's also possible that with a better system, real coaching, and more offensive talent, he starts to realize his potential. What bothers me is that a segment of the posters here, are sure beyond any doubt that Sam can't turn it around. They just isn't any reason for them to be so sure about it

• Sympathy 1

The kid was setup to fail from the day he was drafted in this crap of an organization, until the day CJ finally realized he should listen to JD. I won't be hurt if they let him go, but I'd love to see a turnaround now that we actually have a coaching staff that has a QB coach, etc... If he doesn't, then I'll admit I am wrong as well, and accept the fact that he just wasn't that good. I do believe he needs an attitude overhaul, to become more like Mahomes. I get some people aren't the rah rah type, but I think he needs an injection of that to turn it around. At this point in time, I don't believe he has a real positive outlook on his play or his situation.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, genot said:

I think the number of Jets fans who would actively root for the Jets failure so they could be "right" is honestly so minuscule it doesn't deserve to be talked about (even if it does describe 2-3 posters on this board.)

The overwhelming majority of us who want to move on from Sam are just looking at objective evidence complied over three years (and exacerbated in 2020) and believe the likelihood of a dramatic turnaround to be extremely low -- at least to the extent that Darnold would be worth investing $30+mm in.

Hell, many of us who want to move on were genuinely "all in" and emotionally invested in Sam. I wanted nothing more than for him to be "the guy." But clinging to the excitement of draft day 2018 in January 2021 doesn't make much sense when we have 3 seasons of play to evaluate.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

The kid was setup to fail from the day he was drafted in this crap of an organization, until the day CJ finally realized he should listen to JD. I won't be hurt if they let him go, but I'd love to see a turnaround now that we actually have a coaching staff that has a QB coach, etc... If he doesn't, then I'll admit I am wrong as well, and accept the fact that he just wasn't that good. I do believe he needs an attitude overhaul, to become more like Mahomes. I get some people aren't the rah rah type, but I think he needs an injection of that to turn it around. At this point in time, I don't believe he has a real positive outlook on his play or his situation.

So he has to fail in his 4th season, under a 3rd coaching staff, for you to finally admit he sucks.

No wonder you're against trading for Watson.  ?

• Upvote 1

I get why some want to move on from Darnold, but I don’t get why so many are acting like it’s impossible for him to turn things around and develop into a quality QB.

The dude is still 23 and is going to be going from the tutelage of Adam Gase and Dowell Loggains to being around guys like Mike LaFleur, Greg Knapp and Rob Calabrese every day.

We’re now putting him into a system that is creative and plays to his strengths instead of the completely unimaginative, constant bubble screen and ISO up the middle bullsh*t that Gase shoved down everyone’s throats.

Being in a Shanahan WCO with an improved OL and improved talent at the skill positions absolutely makes a turnaround possible.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

I get why some want to move on from Darnold, but I don’t get why so many are acting like it’s impossible for him to turn things around and develop into a quality QB.

The dude is still 23 and is going to be going from the tutelage of Adam Gase and Dowell Loggains to being around guys like Mike LaFleur, Greg Knapp and Rob Calabrese every day.

We’re now putting him into a system that is creative and plays to his strengths instead of the completely unimaginative, constant bubble screen and ISO up the middle bullsh*t that Gase shoved down everyone’s throats.

Being in a Shanahan WCO with an improved OL and improved talent at the skill positions absolutely makes a turnaround possible.

Because it basically never happens. It’s happened once and the resulting player was Alex Smith.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

A Turnaround could very well happen, but with the body of work we've seen so far putting any capital and investment into him is a big risk and not worth taking imo. 

8 minutes ago, Grandy said:

A Turnaround could very well happen, but with the body of work we've seen so far putting any capital and investment into him is a big risk and not worth taking imo. 

I don’t see it as a big risk at all. In fact, rolling with Darnold next year is the least risky realistic option IMO. Watson isn’t happening. People need to let that go already instead of obsessing over some pie in the sky fantasy.

I fully expect the Jets to decline Darnold’s 5th year option in a few months. He’ll be headed into a make or break year in which the Jets have put him in an offensive system perfectly suited to his strengths while also improving the talent around him. It’s up to him to either sink or swim. All of the excuses will be thrown out the window.

If he falls flat on his face, oh well.

The overall roster will be better and the Jets could very well be armed with 3 1st round picks come next year. More than enough ammo to make a move for someone like Sam Howell if need be.

• Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Fast forward to next year:

"It's still possible Darnold can turn things around.  I mean, he's only 24."

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Nope

This would be his last chance.

Improved OL and skill positions, offensive system perfectly suited to his abilities...he either sinks or swims.

He’s been surrounded by crap rosters and crap coaches so far 

How is Sam not rewriting record books throwing to Chris Hogan on 3rd and long after 2 1 yard run plays by Frank Gore?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think the number of Jets fans who would actively root for the Jets failure so they could be "right" is honestly so minuscule it doesn't deserve to be talked about (even if it does describe 2-3 posters on this board.)

The overwhelming majority of us who want to move on from Sam are just looking at objective evidence complied over three years (and exacerbated in 2020) and believe the likelihood of a dramatic turnaround to be extremely low -- at least to the extent that Darnold would be worth investing $30+mm in.

Hell, many of us who want to move on were genuinely "all in" and emotionally invested in Sam. I wanted nothing more than for him to be "the guy." But clinging to the excitement of draft day 2018 in January 2021 doesn't make much sense when we have 3 seasons of play to evaluate.

Great post. There's also objective evidence that Sam has been one of the least protected QB's in the league. Objective evidence that a Gase run offense will fail, as it did for three years in Miami. Combine that, with what we all know is a lack of talent at the skill positions, i think it can be fairly stated that the jury is still out on Sam.

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, genot said:

Great post. There's also objective evidence that Sam has been one of the least protected QB's in the league. Objective evidence that a Gase run offense will fail, as it did for three years in Miami. Combine that, with what we all know is a lack of talent at the skill positions, i think it can be fairly stated that the jury is still out on Sam.

I'll be honest -- I think the skill talent and offensive line, while below average, are actually very "capable" and I think a lot of the talk about how bad they are is projection from those who don't want to admit the obvious -- that Sam is actually the worst player on the offense. 

That said, I think the bolded is extremely true and if Sam were to turn it around dramatically in 2021 I think the massive upgrade and coaching and scheme would be the reason why. Gase's scheme and coaching doesn't seem to make anyone better. Maybe it's a good offense for slot receivers, but by and large the number of players who were better away from him than under him is seemingly endless. It seems to be an outdated scheme that places tremendous burden on the QB and doesn't simplify anything.

To me the biggest hope for a quick turnaround where the Jets make the playoffs (or are at least competitive and in the hunt in December) is to upgrade the two single biggest difference makers in the NFL -- coach and QB. Trade out Gase, Loggains, and Darnold for Saleh, LaFleur and Watson and I think the entire complexion of the offense changes instantly.

But if a Darnold turnaround were to happen -- coaching would be why. I just worry that even if Darnold could have been good the damage has been done.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So he has to fail in his 4th season, under a 3rd coaching staff, for you to finally admit he sucks.

No wonder you're against trading for Watson.  ?

You finally caught on lol...  It could also be due to the brain damage I suffered as a youth,