Prepping for Trade Down, Jets Exploring Later Round 1 Options

JetNation

IMG_1661-1.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

To say the Jets are hoping to trade out of the number 6 spot in this months upcoming NFL draft would hardly be breaking news as General Manager Mike Maccagnan has publicly voiced his desire to move down in round one to accumulate more picks.  In looking at some of the team’s recent player visits, it appears the Jets are preparing for that possibility.

Yesterday, the team hosted Washington cornerback Kevin King, a player who currently carries a late round one grade according to CBSSports.com and Optimum Scouting’s 2017 draft guide grades him as an 8/10, their mark for “great NFL skills” while PFF.com’s player comp is Richard Sherman.

The Sherman comparison is fitting if you believe what one source told NFL.com about King, saying “I’m not 100 percent sure what you do with him because he’s not a physical tackler, but he’s almost too tall to be trusted against shifty receivers. Maybe a team like Seattle, which love those long, press corners. Or you might see a team try to make him a free safety.” — West Coast regional scout for AFC team

King’s height isn’t what you’re used to seeing in a cornerback as he checks in at 6′ 3”, one reason why some see him as a better option to convert to safety.  His most eye-popping stat?  King allowed just one touchdown in his collegiate career, and none in his final 28 games.

Another player carrying a late first/early second round grade piqued the interest of Jets fans yesterday during an appearance on Sirius XM NFL radio in Missouri defensive end Charles Harris.  When asked which teams were looking at him most intently, Harris mentioned the Jets, saying “One team that’s really been keeping tabs on me and checking in a lot is the Jets.  I got a good vibe from them”.

We do know that Gang Green sent scouts to at least one Mizzou practice this past season, and that they also sent new linebackers coach Kevin Greene to the team’s pro day in March.

In regards to his potential as a pass-rusher, this is what CBS Sports had to say:

IN OUR VIEW: A lack of production early in the 2016 season left Harris being unfairly criticized by some but his talent did not just simply disappear. While perhaps lacking elite length and fluidity, Harris is a proven pass rusher with the initial quickness and complementary moves to extend Missouri’s impressive NFL pipeline, projecting as an immediate impact threat off the edge

Two of the Jets biggest needs, cornerback and pass-rusher, both meeting with the team weeks before the draft.  It’s entirely possible that these are visits to scout a pair of players who  may fall to the Jets in the second round, but there are also those who see both players being off the board before the Jets get a shot at them with their second pick.

Jets fans have been spending a lot of time looking at players who the team may take at number 6, but maybe it’s time to start looking at the back-end of round one, because the Jets certainly are.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
uhPIzelaW8A

Click here to read the full story...

26 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Everyone loves to talk offense, but this is a defense draft.  

King and Harris would be great picks.

this draft is not a defense draft.  there are good prospects on both sides of the ball.  

if the offense does not improve this year, both mccags and bowles are getting fired.  this is why i believe they will take another qb high in the draft.  and i think they have had discussions of moving back substantially in the first round, that's just my hunch.  this is going to be a fun draft for us to watch, since i believe the jets will be moving both up and down to target certain players and positions.  i don't think this is a pure 'BAP' draft where mccags sits back and takes the guy at the spot they pick.  

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

this draft is not a defense draft.  there are good prospects on both sides of the ball.  

if the offense does not improve this year, both mccags and bowles are getting fired.  this is why i believe they will take another qb high in the draft.  and i think they have had discussions of moving back substantially in the first round, that's just my hunch.  this is going to be a fun draft for us to watch, since i believe the jets will be moving both up and down to target certain players and positions.  i don't think this is a pure 'BAP' draft where mccags sits back and takes the guy at the spot they pick.  

It's not hard to imagine a trade down from #6 and then using the second rounder to trade back into the first.

1 hour ago, Stonehands said:

Late first round guys are sometimes there for high second round picks.  I think that may be our thinking.

draft is deep with DB, LB & RB prospects. I'd take one of each in the first 3 rounds-- if the jets could make some trades and end up with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds it would be a major haul

I feel like every team in the league wants to trade out of the first 15.  After the first 4-5 who are really a cut above the value is basically all the way into rounds 3 and 4 and almost every team will want to get two players instead of one.

I don't see many teams moving up unless the Texans start getting desperate for a QB.

15 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Everyone loves to talk offense, but this is a defense draft.  

King and Harris would be great picks.

15 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

We'll find out exactly what this draft is 2-3 years from now

11 minutes ago, section314 said:

Again, the major factor in any of this is if the player you love is there at #6. If he's there, then trading down is a moot point.

While I agree with this, it all depends on what is offered in this draft . This Draft is a Scout's wet dream  .

The Jets have plenty of needs and certainly the more picks they have, the more needs they can fill, but I would prefer them to actually make the RIGHT pick at #6 and in the rest of the draft as opposed to stocking up on picks. This is a crucial draft for the Jets as they rebuild, and I can't see them trading away a pick where they can grab a top 10 impact player, whoever that ends up being. 

Just now, ChuckkieB said:

The Jets have plenty of needs and certainly the more picks they have, the more needs they can fill, but I would prefer them to actually make the RIGHT pick at #6 and in the rest of the draft as opposed to stocking up on picks. This is a crucial draft for the Jets as they rebuild, and I can't see them trading away a pick where they can grab a top 10 impact player, whoever that ends up being. 

this year i disagree.  there is no one guy at #6 who really, really upgrades the roster, unless you like one of the qbs.  as much as i'd like a stud TE like howard or a guy like fournette to juice up the offense, the jets are better off trading back if they can.  i doubt they stay at #6 this year.  i also wouldn't be surprised if they trade back into the teens, take a cb, then trade back into the first round to get an offensive player who slid.  

i also believe the rumors that the jets like trubisky, and i wouldn't be surprised if they traded back and wound up taking him in the middle of the first round.  he seems right for the type of offense they are going to run.

11 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

While I agree with this, it all depends on what is offered in this draft . This Draft is a Scout's wet dream  .

Very good point. If the Browns, for example, really want a QB, and offer their 1st pick in rd #2 to move down 6 spots, it would be a tough thing to pass on.  FWIW, read on Tony's latest 3 rd mock that Cincy may really want Fournette, and he had a trade of them swapping firsts plus giving us a high 3rd, to move up.

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Very good point. If the Browns, for example, really want a QB, and offer their 1st pick in rd #2 to move down 6 spots, it would be a tough thing to pass on.  FWIW, read on Tony's latest 3 rd mock that Cincy may really want Fournette, and he had a trade of them swapping firsts plus giving us a high 3rd, to move up.

I'd be asking for more than that.

10 hours ago, cant wait said:

If the jets trade down they have to look at OTs ramczyk & cam robinson. this team is going nowhere until the OL is rebuilt

I am actually ok with this.  If they end up with 2 OL I might actually have a party.  :)

1 hour ago, section314 said:

We need assets, and those assets would be even more valuable if we could used them to acquire even more/better assets even if we can't use them until the 2018 draft .  If we could trade a 2nd this year for a 1st rounder next year, then it would be worth it IMO. 

The trick is not adding the picks, it's using them wisely . Think about all the picks the Patriots have acquired over the years, how many of those picks play an important part in their active roster compared to all the players they have signed in free agency or traded for because those picks didn't pan out and the cap cost it incurs .

I am so happy that the vast majority of the Jets front office is made up of former scouts, not exec who don't know a football from a football .

Yes, I know what I just posted .

Archived