NY Jets OTA Updates

JetNation

8 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

And in other news, 

What a f'ing douche. 

I really dont like this man. The Jets gave this guy every opportunity to a fault, and a great portion of this fanbase supported this asshat. 

This is why you dont pay career back ups as "mentors".They end up being really ungrateful after they jacked your franchise for 15 million dollars in 2 years. 

Hahahahhaha so Fitz' HORRIFIC play had nothing to do with why he was benched...

Yea and folks are still defending this man's sick attitude.....

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Scoop24 said:

Jalin Marshall continues to do what he do . Drop passes .. bad things happens when the ball is in his presence .. been saying it since last year ..

So disappointing to hear.  Between the drops, the suspension, the muffed punts...I think Peake beats him out easily.

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

did the receiver even extend his arms?  the throw was a little off but it looked like the receiver didn't even try to go up and get the ball.

And notice the comment by the beat writer "misfires".  So much for believing anything Hughes writes. 

Some of these writers already have their narrative setup for this year.  Any slight mis-q by Hack will be blown out of portion. He could go 19-20 and all that will be mentioned is the 1 incomplete. 

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

Yeah, looks like he shuld have been running his route 5 yards out of bounds. :)

True, he doesn't belong on the field. He put more effort into making the throw look bad than making the catch.

He was cut once already when Cannon arrived. If he's too stupid to value a second opportunity and show some skills then that's that.

Chad Hansen would've snared it with one hand and ballet-toed it inbounds while texting his hot California babe fanbase and his mom.

42 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

So disappointing to hear.  Between the drops, the suspension, the muffed punts...I think Peake beats him out easily.

Not sure it's Marshall vs Peake.  I see it as Marks, Cannon, Patton vs Marshall. 

3 hours ago, win4ever said:

-I'm actually somewhat encouraged by the video of Hackenberg missing the receiver.  It's a quick out route, but notice his feet on the throw.  It's pointed almost directly at the receiver, which is mechanically sound.  In college, he had this really bad habit of opening up his hips too much (in this case, it would have been more towards the sideline instead of at the receiver) which made his throws float.  It at least shows some signs that he worked on his mechanics in the off-season so that is encouraging.  

-Lol at Fitzpatrick claiming the Jets did him wrong.  This is where Bowles really needs to step up and defend his team.  He can't play the good guy card and just brush it off.  I wish someone would show Fitz the statistics that proved he sh*t all the throne the Jets placed under him.   

-I don't believe in much of the results of practices because it's in the middle of the off-season and timing is bound to be off.  I see it more as glorified combine drills for each team.  In this case, I care more about athletes performing at premium positions like WR/CB.  Are there reports on receivers standing out (good/bad?) or any CBs that looked good?  

-Sheldon still taking jabs at Marshall, which should be interesting as the season goes on.  Marshall has a voice on TV and will play for a team expected to compete so I expect some shots back from him as well.  This could escalate to full blown media war if the team isn't careful.  

Bowles probably won't and shouldn't address the Fitz comment. "We're on to 2017"

Pretty sure it's already been out there in the press that Brandon won't be doing "Inside the NFL" show this yr. Giants practice Tuesday afternoons which is when ITNFL tapes. 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Bowles probably won't and shouldn't address the Fitz comment. "We're on to 2017"

Pretty sure it's already been out there in the press that Brandon won't be doing "Inside the NFL" show this yr. Giants practice Tuesday afternoons which is when ITNFL tapes. 

I wouldn't talk about Fitz, but I would have a sit down with Richardson on tonight

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

And in other news, 

What a f'ing douche. 

I really dont like this man. The Jets gave this guy every opportunity to a fault, and a great portion of this fanbase supported this asshat. 

This is why you dont pay career back ups as "mentors".They end up being really ungrateful after they jacked your franchise for 15 million dollars in 2 years. 

When a guy plays as crappy as he did last year he has a lot of nerve to bitch about getting cut.

4 hours ago, win4ever said:

-I'm actually somewhat encouraged by the video of Hackenberg missing the receiver.  It's a quick out route, but notice his feet on the throw.  It's pointed almost directly at the receiver, which is mechanically sound.  In college, he had this really bad habit of opening up his hips too much (in this case, it would have been more towards the sideline instead of at the receiver) which made his throws float.  It at least shows some signs that he worked on his mechanics in the off-season so that is encouraging.  

-Lol at Fitzpatrick claiming the Jets did him wrong.  This is where Bowles really needs to step up and defend his team.  He can't play the good guy card and just brush it off.  I wish someone would show Fitz the statistics that proved he sh*t all the throne the Jets placed under him.   

-I don't believe in much of the results of practices because it's in the middle of the off-season and timing is bound to be off.  I see it more as glorified combine drills for each team.  In this case, I care more about athletes performing at premium positions like WR/CB.  Are there reports on receivers standing out (good/bad?) or any CBs that looked good?  

-Sheldon still taking jabs at Marshall, which should be interesting as the season goes on.  Marshall has a voice on TV and will play for a team expected to compete so I expect some shots back from him as well.  This could escalate to full blown media war if the team isn't careful.  

On the contrary, BMarsh is a professional and knows how to handle the media and at least in the offseason.  Here is what he said in reaction to Richardsons comment today.

Marshall did, however, say that the 2016 season was "extremely difficult" in a text message sent to Newsday.

"Last year was an extremely difficult season for all of us," Marshall told the newspaper. "Players and coaches fought their tails off trying to get our season turned around and it didn't happen for us. It was disappointing, but now it's a fresh year for Sheldon, for myself, for the Jets, and now I'm a Giant and I'm so excited for this opportunity.

"I'm working my butt off to learn the plays. It's like I'm starting all over again from scratch. I feel like a rookie, and I kind of like that feeling. And hopefully, I can do my job this year to the best of my ability to bring that Lombardi Trophy back where it belongs. That's my only focus right now and I'm excited to be a New York Football Giant."

This is my favorite quote:

Intentional or not, the Jets didn't make observing Christian Hackenberg's first public throws since the 2016 preseason finale very easy. At the team's first organizes team activity of the year, Hackenberg worked on the far field away from the media. He threw primarily to scrub receivers, who were covered by scrub defenders. 

called a lot of players scrubs lol

3 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

This is where Bowles has to grow a pair and lay down the law, basically you tell Sheldon you want to talk your riding pine. 

I really doubt he will, not after he let Fitz just trash him to the media after being benched, and didn't have the guts to bench him again when Geno got hurt.  

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Oh, I don't think Brandon needs the show to have a voice because he'll get plenty of media attention.  He's been a media whore pretty much everywhere he has gone, and he always loves to be a lightning rod.  In Chicago, he started trashing Cutler around the same time Jeffery took off because he was losing his title as No. 1 receiver on the team.  I'm sure he'll be hungry for attention when OBJ gets press clippings and he can't do the same on the field.

1 hour ago, JETSfaninNE said:

On the contrary, BMarsh is a professional and knows how to handle the media and at least in the offseason.  Here is what he said in reaction to Richardsons comment today.

He's a professional in the off-season because he knows there isn't much to say now without being out of line.  However, if they are say 4-2 and we're at 1-5, I'm pretty sure he'll take some jabs our way then.  The issue for me is that, both Marshall and Sheldon seem like the guys that feel the need to have the last word and that usually doesn't end well.  

I don't like Fitzpatrick, but quote was taken out of context.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/24/ryan-fitzpatricks-musical-chair-comments-not-as-biting-as-initially-reported/

"It was a new team, new environment for me and I had to step up when my number was called. It’s the harsh reality of the NFL: There are [only] so many jobs that are available. I can’t complain about it. Last year I was the starter, and if you play well as the starter you continue to play. I didn’t play well and so I lost the game of musical chairs. They pulled my chair out from under me. But I’m happy to be here, and I do just enjoy football. I enjoy the Xs and Os and just the day-to-day interaction. I’m really happy to be in this role and to be here.”

4 minutes ago, Beaver said:

I don't like Fitzpatrick, but quote was taken out of context.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/24/ryan-fitzpatricks-musical-chair-comments-not-as-biting-as-initially-reported/

"It was a new team, new environment for me and I had to step up when my number was called. It’s the harsh reality of the NFL: There are [only] so many jobs that are available. I can’t complain about it. Last year I was the starter, and if you play well as the starter you continue to play. I didn’t play well and so I lost the game of musical chairs. They pulled my chair out from under me. But I’m happy to be here, and I do just enjoy football. I enjoy the Xs and Os and just the day-to-day interaction. I’m really happy to be in this role and to be here.”

The media taking statements out of context???? SHOCKING!

Was listening to Mike and Mike this morning and Schefter indicated that there is some optimism about Hack's development. Could be real optimism or it could be the new offensive coaching staff trying to breed some confidence in Hack. Either way, it's nice to hear positives about Hack because he is our only hope for this year to be anything but a  Suck for Sam year. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Was listening to Mike and Mike this morning and Schefter indicated that there is some optimism about Hack's development. Could be real optimism or it could be the new offensive coaching staff trying to breed some confidence in Hack. Either way, it's nice to hear positives about Hack because he is our only hope for this year to be anything but a  Suck for Sam year. 

With our luck we will suck, but not quite enough to get a QB.

We have been mostly sucking for 50 years and no QB luck yet

15 hours ago, flgreen said:

Yeah, looks like he shuld have been running his route 5 yards out of bounds. :)

Or maybe just like you know, lift up his arms and make an attempt to catch a catchable ball?

Matt Forte criticizes Chan Gailey's 'odd' handling of Jets' backfield

Matt Forte hopes for a better season in 2017. (Winslow Townson | AP Images for Panini)

Matt Forte hopes for a better season in 2017. (Winslow Townson | AP Images for Panini)

FLORHAM PARK -- Jets running back Matt Forte is no fan of how now-retired offensive coordinator Chan Gailey handled the team's backfield rotation last season. 

Forte on Tuesday criticized Gailey's "odd, to say the least" approach -- and said new coordinator John Morton "will have a better grasp of how we will fit in the offense." 

The Jets held their first organized team activities practice Tuesday, and afterward, Morton said he favored a committee approach with his top two backs -- Forte and Bilal Powell. 

"That's pretty much what we did last year, except in a different order," Forte told NJ Advance Media. "Chan kind of did me on first and second down, and then put Bilal in on third, which is odd, to say the least." 

Why is it odd? 

"Because I catch the ball, so why would you take me out on third down?" Forte said. "It was a very odd approach." 

Forte last season was targeted 43 times and had 30 catches -- down from 58 and 44 in 2015 and 130 and 102 in 2014. From 2008-14, he averaged 63 catches per season. He is a proven pass catcher out of the backfield. 

"That's why I say it's an odd approach," Forte said of Gailey's plan. "I think Johnny Mo will have a better grasp of how we will fit in the offense, and rotate from there. It keeps everybody fresh."

Forte is not against a running back rotation. Far from it. He just thinks rotating by series is wiser than rotating by downs, as Gailey did. 

"Done by downs, it's kind of weird," Forte said. "Sometimes, running backs run off of rhythm. I know, sometimes, I'm sort of a rhythm guy. [Morton] is a smart guy. I think [the rotation] will go [with] whoever has got the hot hand." 

Forte wants to play more on third down, and catch more passes. His early sense is that Morton will let him do both. 

Last season, Forte had 218 carries, Powell 131. Forte gained 3.7 yards per carry, Powell 5.5. Powell caught 58 passes, to Forte's 30. Forte said he didn't lobby Gailey last season to change his rotational approach, despite Forte's displeasure about how things were unfolding.  

"Nah, that's not my place, really," Forte said. "He's the coordinator, so that's his deal to do that stuff. Not to harp on the past, but to say the least, we struggled anyway. So we had a lot more problems than rotations." 

The Jets sure did. They finished 5-11 last season, and ranked second-to-last in the NFL in offensive DVOA ratings. 

Which Jets pick will have biggest impact?

Forte, who is entering his ninth season, got a bunch of action early last season -- 22 and 30 carries in the first two weeks. But he didn't always favor a run-heavy approach from Gailey. 

"That's what we go [back] to about the rotation," Forte said. "Maybe it shouldn't have been like that. Sometimes, it was like we were running into bad looks. Like if we got a look where there's eight, nine in the box, why run into it, when there could be a better play when a guy is one-on-one outside? Let's take the best play available." 

12 hours ago, C Mart said:

Cannon's speed intrigues me. He might be PS material this season Patton seems like a pros pro.  Was in SF with Morton. 

That kid has a knack or making spectacular catches and dropping easy ones . I have had my fill of receivers who can't catch . That's why I'm pulling for Marks, because he catches the ball if he can get to it . It's also why I like the other 3 receivers the Jets drafted, because that's what they do also . 

12 hours ago, C Mart said:

Cannon's speed intrigues me. He might be PS material this season Patton seems like a pros pro.  Was in SF with Morton. 

That kid has a knack or making spectacular catches and dropping easy ones . I have had my fill of receivers who can't catch . That's why I'm pulling for Marks, because he catches the ball if he can get to it . It's also why I like the other 3 receivers the Jets drafted, because that's what they do also . 

15 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

called a lot of players scrubs lol

yeah well until those guys actually make a team they are scrubs

there's a 90 man roster that gets cut down to 53 let's not pretend like they are all awesome. 

Lost in all this Hack microanalysis is that McCown actually looked way better

all the Hack supporters need to ask themselves

why did the team pay Josh mCCown 6 million dollars? To sit the bench for a year? That doesn't sound right. 

why would the team push Hack to start when there's at least one if not two better options on the roster?

why should Hack start if he's not better than McCown? Because of "hope?" 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

yeah well until those guys actually make a team they are scrubs

there's a 90 man roster that gets cut down to 53 let's not pretend like they are all awesome. 

Lost in all this Hack microanalysis is that McCown actually looked way better

why would the team push Hack to start when there's a better option on the roster?

Lost in all this Hack microanalysis is that McCown actually looked way better.

- I mean, yeah, sure he's supposed to. He's been in the league a long time. I'd be shocked if he wasn't the best looking QB in practice.

why would the team push Hack to start when there's a better option on the roster?

- Is this for real? To get him on the field. To develop him. To play a kid with potential over a guy who's 38 and holding the fort. To try to take steps now to positively affect the future of the franchise.

- Uh. Yes.  Or for his potential.  Or just to develop a young asset with better chance for future value rather than wasting development opportunity on a declining backup.

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Chan kind of did me on first and second down, and then put Bilal in on third, which is odd, to say the least." 

Why is it odd? 

"Because I catch the ball, so why would you take me out on third down?" Forte said. "It was a very odd approach." 

I'd take you out because you gained all of FOUR yards on 1st and 2nd down and I need a SPEED back to pick up the other 6 yards required for a first down.

Yeah, you can catch, but you have ZERO speed.

Just now, phill1c said:

I'd take you out because you gained all of FOUR yards on 1st and 2nd down and I need a SPEED back to pick up the other 6 yards required for a first down.

Yeah, you can catch, but you have ZERO speed.

A little louder, I don't think he heard you. :P

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Matt Forte criticizes Chan Gailey's 'odd' handling of Jets' backfield

FLORHAM PARK -- Jets running back Matt Forte is no fan of how now-retired offensive coordinator Chan Gailey handled the team's backfield rotation last season. 

Forte on Tuesday criticized Gailey's "odd, to say the least" approach -- and said new coordinator John Morton "will have a better grasp of how we will fit in the offense." 

The Jets held their first organized team activities practice Tuesday, and afterward, Morton said he favored a committee approach with his top two backs -- Forte and Bilal Powell. 

"That's pretty much what we did last year, except in a different order," Forte told NJ Advance Media. "Chan kind of did me on first and second down, and then put Bilal in on third, which is odd, to say the least." 

Why is it odd? 

Forte, who is entering his ninth season, got a bunch of action early last season -- 22 and 30 carries in the first two weeks. But he didn't always favor a run-heavy approach from Gailey. 

"That's what we go [back] to about the rotation," Forte said. "Maybe it shouldn't have been like that. Sometimes, it was like we were running into bad looks. Like if we got a look where there's eight, nine in the box, why run into it, when there could be a better play when a guy is one-on-one outside? Let's take the best play available." 

I was certainly wrong!!

This last bolded sentence is rocket science??? :( 

Based on this article alone Chan Gailey was a big big problem last year!!!

Good Grief!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Hard to believe there is much room for WRs to make this team.  I'd assume Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, Stewart, Hansen are all locks. Who's left? Patton, Peake, Marshall for one, maybe 2 spots? 

I gotta think Patton is almost a lock, unless we get surprised by someone in camp. Marshall probably gets another long look because he can return kicks. If the RB we drafted can take over that job, he's probably a cut. I'd love to see another Chrebet type story, but hard to think it's going to happen. I think if we keep more than 6 WRs, it will be for return ability.

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter  

One interesting item to pop up this spring: Jets are pleased with the way QB Christian Hackenberg has looked. The Jeremy Bates effect.

Archived