Sam Darnold & Josh Rosen Staying in School to Avoid Jets?

Jack Straw

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you were the father of a potential franchise QB, you're honestly telling me you'd actively want to put your child's future in the hands of the New York Jets franchise? FOH.

The answer to your question is YES!  If you could turn the Jets into a winner you would own the New York area and write your own ticket.  The off field earnings would be crazy!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darnold I guess I can see a small, small chance of him staying in school.

But no way Rosen stays in school behind that mediocre o-line, taking another year of beatings for free

If the Jets suck enough, they'll have a shot at one of these guys.

I also don't buy this idea that college players will actively single out the Jets as a team to avoid.  How exactly are the Jets any worse than any of the other teams in the running for the top pick?  If anything, I think these guys would WANT the spotlight of the NY market, assuming they truly believe in their talents. Darnold and Rosen were probably about 12 years old when the Jets made back-to-back AFC title games, so it's not like their only memories of the Jets are them being in the basement of the NFL.

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

As opposed to....Indy, Buffalo, Cleveland, Jacksonville?  Basically it's a turd pie any way you slice it.  Why single out the piece on the right?

4 minutes ago, Joejet said:

The answer to your question is YES!  If you could turn the Jets into a winner you would own the New York area and write your own ticket.  The off field earnings would be crazy!

Follow up: would you let your kids go to a sleepover at the Sandusky household? 

Seriously if I were a college QB with confidence in my skills I would love the chance to pull a Lebron and bring a title to a longtime suffering franchsie. Can you imagine winning a SB as a NY jets franchise QB? Holy crap, at the very, very least you get Joe Namath status in NY. Jeter status. You'd never have to buy a drink in NY again.

But maybe I'm just  a romantic

3 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

The 2018 NFL Draft was set to be stacked with quarterback talent, with multiple franchise-level players ready to enter the league.

But according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, two of the top prospects may choose to stay in school for another year rather than enter the NFL next season.

Speaking with WEEI's "Kirk & Callahan" show, Schefter brought up the possibility of both UCLA Bruins quarterback Josh Rosen and USC quarterback Sam Darnold passing up an NFL contract in 2018.

The topic was brought up as the Boston-based show discussed the future of longtime Patriots backup Jimmy Garoppolo. Kirk and Callahan were wondering where Garoppolo might end up with the big draft class coming in, but Schefter told them not to be so sure.

"Everybody's talking about the quarterback class next year," Schefter said, "and I continue to hear that it's possible that Sam Darold is going to stay in school, and I continue to hear that it's possible that Josh Rosen is going to stay in school."

While it's odd for a player expected to go as high in the draft as Darnold and Rosen are expected to go to pass up on the opportunity, Schefter seemed to imply that one reason the players might opt for another year of school was to avoid getting drafted by the New York Jets.

"If you were walking around USC's campus and you had the life that Sam Darold did and you were from California would you be in any rush to play in Florham Park, New Jersey?" he asked Kirk & Callahan.

Florham Park is home to the Jets' practice facility.

It's still way too far out to know what Darnold or Rosen will eventually decide on — the Jets are still a season away from having the first overall pick, and depending on how USC and UCLA play out the year there's different things that could happen that could sway the star players in one direction on another.

But for now, they potential for Darnold and Rosen to stay in school adds an interesting wrinkle to anyone looking forward to the 2018 Draft and beyond.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sam-darnold-josh-rosen-skip-draft-adam-schefter-2017-9

Up yours Adam. Are you their agent? STFU

Must be a super slow news day for Schefter to break away from his normal routine of breaking HIPAA for leads to give a take on this.

Next year's class has guys like Jacob Eason, DeAndre Françoise, and Shae Patterson (big maybe here though), all eligible.  Darnold saw what happened to Leinart and Barkley and Rosen isn't putting his ass behind that UCLA O-Line, a year removed from a career year and successfully rebuilding his draft stock, so he could "avoid" being drafted by teams who will likely be picking high the next year anyway.  This year, they're looking at Top 2 money.  Not top 5.  Top 2.  Of all the stupid sh*t Schefter has said, this is up there at the top.  "HEY BOSTON RADIO GUY, WHADDYA THINK ABOUT DA TOP QB DRAFT PROSPECTS SKIPPING OUT TO AVOID DA JETS? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL".

Barring injury or implosion, they're almost definitely coming out.  This is "will Jameis declare?!?!" speculation all over again.  Darnold is the only guy I could see maybe staying.  Rosen already has one foot out the door.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Follow up: would you let your kids go to a sleepover at the Sandusky household? 

That one would be a big fat NO!!!!  Although my son is now 40 and stronger than 2 mules so there might be some comedy there.  That old bastard would be in for a major whooping!

4 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

The 2018 NFL Draft was set to be stacked with quarterback talent, with multiple franchise-level players ready to enter the league.

But according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, two of the top prospects may choose to stay in school for another year rather than enter the NFL next season.

Speaking with WEEI's "Kirk & Callahan" show, Schefter brought up the possibility of both UCLA Bruins quarterback Josh Rosen and USC quarterback Sam Darnold passing up an NFL contract in 2018.

The topic was brought up as the Boston-based show discussed the future of longtime Patriots backup Jimmy Garoppolo. Kirk and Callahan were wondering where Garoppolo might end up with the big draft class coming in, but Schefter told them not to be so sure.

"Everybody's talking about the quarterback class next year," Schefter said, "and I continue to hear that it's possible that Sam Darold is going to stay in school, and I continue to hear that it's possible that Josh Rosen is going to stay in school."

While it's odd for a player expected to go as high in the draft as Darnold and Rosen are expected to go to pass up on the opportunity, Schefter seemed to imply that one reason the players might opt for another year of school was to avoid getting drafted by the New York Jets.

"If you were walking around USC's campus and you had the life that Sam Darold did and you were from California would you be in any rush to play in Florham Park, New Jersey?" he asked Kirk & Callahan.

Florham Park is home to the Jets' practice facility.

It's still way too far out to know what Darnold or Rosen will eventually decide on — the Jets are still a season away from having the first overall pick, and depending on how USC and UCLA play out the year there's different things that could happen that could sway the star players in one direction on another.

But for now, they potential for Darnold and Rosen to stay in school adds an interesting wrinkle to anyone looking forward to the 2018 Draft and beyond.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sam-darnold-josh-rosen-skip-draft-adam-schefter-2017-9

Lol Can't have the Jets get a good QB..

If they do stay in school, who do they think will be picking top 2 in 2019, the Pats, Packers, Steelers? - No it's going to be the same olde teams Jets, Browns, Bill's, 49ers.

So let's skip a year of getting paid. Plus if they get injured or have a bad year their stock drops. This is just stupid if they do it!

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's so much fun watching some of you SOJFs eat up these BS stories that feed into your nonsense. It's going to be awesome when macc is back next year and you guys are forced to cry for another year. 

So if Macc is back and he picks the wrong guy with the #1 pick wont you be crying too?

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

chance of either of them staying on school and giving up a year of their 30 million dollar careers ... about .05 percen

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Either of them would be moronic to stay in school.

But the point being made is a good one.  The Jets right now are not a quality, stable organization.   Compared to 49ers (Lynch and Shanahan), Cleveland (Brown and Jackson), the Bills even (Beane and McDermott) and the Jaguars  (Coughline and Morrone), if I am a rookie high picked Qb I would rather plan for those teams the Jets.  The Jets are a mess, and my guess is at USC they blame the Jets partially for how Sanchez ended up, and the Hack thing makes them look bad.  

The Jets are a cornerstone team in the largest TV market in the world.  If they stink, it will affect the NFL's overall ratings.  

It would be very embarrassing for the NFL if either or both of these future stars played any games about their draft status.  If Goodell was trying to make the NFL work, he would make Woody run a better team.

All the top QBs go to the worst teams.  That is how it works.  They will not stay another year in college when they can get $$$.  What if they stay and get seriously injured?  That would be the worst business move. 

This one hundred percent...all they need to do is get injured and lose half the season or more and big time stats are gone. Then potentially get picked in the bottom of the first or later and it's a better team but your huge paycheck just vanished. Rosen actually knows what losing out on a season is like...no way he stays.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived