• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Pittsburgh Steelers run a 30 front.

Ryan Shazier plays MLB

Ryan Shazier is 6'1, 230 lbs. out of Ohio State

Darren Lee is 6'1, 232 lbs. out of Ohio State

Lol the only difference is Shazier is good at Football and played that postion in college. He had more tackles in half a season than Lee has his entire college career.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Lol the only difference is Shazier is good at Football and played that postion in college. He had more tackles in half a season than Lee has his entire college career.

I did not post that to say Lee is in the same league as Shazier. I know he is not. Maybe one day

I posted that to show, wether you think Lee is a good player or not, it is not because of his size. 

There are plenty of MLBs playing in the NFL right now who are around that size.

Rueben Foster, the #1 MLB prospect is 6'0 229.

The NFL has plenty of undersized MLBs right now.

The larger LBs are the OLBs in a 34 D because they have edge setting responsibilities.  

1 minute ago, RESNewYork said:

I did not post that to say Lee is in the same league as Shazier. I know he is not. Maybe one day

I posted that to show, wether you think Lee is a good player or not, it is not because of his size. 

There are plenty of MLBs playing in the NFL right now who are around that size.

Rueben Foster, the #1 MLB prospect is 6'0 229.

The NFL has plenty of undersized MLBs right now.

The larger LBs are the OLBs in a 34 D because they have edge setting responsibilities.  

Agreed.  It’s the new rave.  Speed over size. Unfortunately the Jets forgot about the “knows how to play football” when selecting Darron Lee and those guys aren’t typically selected in the 1st.

35 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Somebody has to get me in a room with cj2k. I swear to god I have the blueprint to never ever get fired from running the Jets. Every year we change the depth chart on the official site from 4-3 positions to 3-4 positions and we fire the offensive coordinator. Then you can do whatever you want. Now I just have to get the gig. I think changing my username to Personnel Guy Miss Lonelyhearts should seal the fan vote.

Don't forget to draft multiple terrible quarterbacks outside the first round. 

People don't like him. He's easily disliked. He's young, with little world experience and has made lightning rod statements and gets upset when people don't share his views. He also got into an almost physical altercation with his girlfriend. It is significantly easier to root for someone that people perceive as likeable as opposed to the opposite. I don't care what he says, so long as he produces, but he has to realize that. 

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

No we should draft guys that will fit the system.

I HATE this philosophy unless you have an established SB winning never gonna be fired HC who runs HIS defense, and I can't think of one of the top of my head, and don't give me Belicheck he has changed his defensive scheme, and philosophy so many times over the past years based on his talent.

When you draft this way all your doing is giving the next DC who probably runs a different scheme, and this specialty player for your last coach no longer is a fit, and your stuck with a high draft pick the coach has no use for, just go look at the Bills, and what they did with all of Rex's scheme specific draft picks this year, they exiled as many as possible.

Find me a DC who when you give him players he puts them in position to succeed, not one that bangs the table screaming I need so, and so to make my scheme work, build the scheme around the talent, and be ready to change that scheme when the talent gets turned over, and your strengths are better suited to play differently, that is what a true successful coach does, Bowles, Ryan, Mangini, and Herm before them all drafted to fit their schemes, and we wasted numerous picks on guys who no longer were wanted by the new coach like Vilma, and guys who stink  like Wilson because the HC wanted 5 1st round CB's Revis, and Cromartie we're not enough for him.  Next up will be Lee being rendered useless by the next coaching regime either next year, or the year after.

20 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I HATE this philosophy unless you have an established SB winning never gonna be fired HC who runs HIS defense, and I can't think of one of the top of my head, and don't give me Belicheck he has changed his defensive scheme, and philosophy so many times over the past years based on his talent.

When you draft this way all your doing is giving the next DC who probably runs a different scheme, and this specialty player for your last coach no longer is a fit, and your stuck with a high draft pick the coach has no use for, just go look at the Bills, and what they did with all of Rex's scheme specific draft picks this year, they exiled as many as possible.

Find me a DC who when you give him players he puts them in position to succeed, not one that bangs the table screaming I need so, and so to make my scheme work, build the scheme around the talent, and be ready to change that scheme when the talent gets turned over, and your strengths are better suited to play differently, that is what a true successful coach does, Bowles, Ryan, Mangini, and Herm before them all drafted to fit their schemes, and we wasted numerous picks on guys who no longer were wanted by the new coach like Vilma, and guys who stink  like Wilson because the HC wanted 5 1st round CB's Revis, and Cromartie we're not enough for him.  Next up will be Lee being rendered useless by the next coaching regime either next year, or the year after.

It’s not a matter of not tailoring the scheme to this or that player. Reality is if we tailored it to Lee then our 2 big ends are somewhat out of position. The problem is these players don’t really go together. Their downturn season aside, from a team-building perspective Mo and Leo are 3-4 ends and Lee isn’t a 3-4 LB (inside, outside, or upside down). Sheldon was a 3-4 end that was well-suited to playing DT full-time. I don’t know that you forcefeed changes to two superior players and take away from their game, in an attempt to make an inferior third player better. 

Some guys are just more versatile than others. The reason Sheldon was moved all over the place wasn’t for the simplistic reason that Bowles has an IQ of 40 and doesn’t know what position Sheldon plays. It’s that Sheldon was the most versatile of the three, they’re all (thought to be) too valuable to keep one on the bench 1/3 of the time, and a 4-DT DL is employed by nobody, outside of obvious running downs.

Some smaller LBers can play in a larger variety of schemes than others, so they seem to be just system picks. Some offensive linemen are maulers; others are more finesse guys who pull and rely on their quick feet. Then there are those for whom it doesn’t matter what the blocking scheme is, he’ll be fine. Thing is the most versatile ones aren’t necessarily the best players in any scheme (i.e. jack of all trades master of none).

There’s always give and take. When players are drafted into schemes for which they’re ideally-suited, and are successful, it’s just hidden more effectively.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He made a very nice play on the strip fumble last game, unfortunately for every big play like that there are a half dozen terrible plays.  He cannot play head on without getting blowup even by TEs and rbs.  He can't cover at all, and no being close to making a play 5 times a game puts him in Kyle wilson territory.  He is not a a rush end, can't set the edge or rush the passer.  He also seems to b a bit of a nutjob from some of the off season stuff. 

In any case I am fully confident that Todd bowles will put him in great position to succeed with the abilities he does have......not!

dleepats1.jpg

On his ass in the end zone, away from the Dion Lewis touchdown.  Always out of position.

6 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

He's very athletic, but still to small for ILB in a 3-4. He will shoot the occasional gap, but most of the time will get man handled.

I guess he is around the same size as Kiko Alonso and Shazier, both of whom played or play in a 3-4.

This was a lousy draft.

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

It's why I offered both sides, personally think you play to your strengths, and not try to fit a square peg in a round holes as so to speak.

"No we should draft guys that will fit the system. Or we should change the D to suit the personal we've drafted?"

I do think Lee is a hybrid player that has the odd nice play, but isn't suited to 3-4 MLB. I also not believe he plays at 232, he looks like a safety. 

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What a coincidence , his rating from pro football focus from last game is 23 as well.

Unfortunately, this is an example of a Bad Mac Hypothesis.  '

The pick in that draft was Artie Burns.  But Mac had Cromartie and Revis, and the suspicion is that he would not have wanted to spend more on a CB.  We know how those 2 ended up.

One wonders if Hack influenced not picking Watson or Mahomes.  

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

No way he's 232 more like 215.

210 lbs by Nov when the summer "supplemental chemistry" is all gone.

He is a natural 190

Gotta hand it to the guy he played this perfectly.

He showed up really big and fast at the combine and got the pay day,

8 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

This usually happens after these players leave the Jets/Mets/Knicks and blossom with other teams!!!!

Seeing Justin Turner go "Beast Mode" on the Dodgers pisses me off to no end!

And don't forget Daniel Murphy. Pretty nice offensive infield with those two.

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

From @NYJEts

Darron Lee just turned 23.

The doubters have made him the man he is today.

I think they are just being negative here for no reason. Darron Lee has many people who believe in him. Each week the running back and tight end from the other team rave about him.

By the time Mark Sanchez was 23 he had gone on a 16-4 run, engineered 5 epic 4th quarter comebacks, won 4 road playoff games, and was the best Jet on the field in 2 AFC Championship Games.

And you ran him out of town.  And then you make love to Darron Lee.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

By the time Mark Sanchez was 23 he had gone on a 16-4 run, engineered 5 epic 4th quarter comebacks, won 4 road playoff games, and was the best Jet on the field in 2 AFC Championship Games.

And you ran him out of town.  And then you make love to Darron Lee.

SAR I

I ran Mark out of town?

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I ran Mark out of town?

You never say anything nice about him and you operate a mechanism which enables thousands of fans to voice emotional and improper opinions leading Jets brass to punt the best QB prospect we've seen since Namath to the curb.

So, yes.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

You never say anything nice about him and you operate a mechanism which enables thousands of fans to voice emotional and improper opinions and led Jets brass to punt the best QB prospect we've seen since Namath to the curb.

So, yes.

SAR I

You are way off, more so than usual. I got a ton of heat for believing in Mark Sanchez. And search my posts to see what I have ever said good about Darron Lee.

Do yourself a favor and read the first post in this thread again. I made sure to attribute the post to the NY Jets, because they wrote it. The last line, the one that is critical of Lee, that is what I wrote.

I just wanted to clarify this because you were so wrong on both counts. Most of your posts contain something wrong, but 100% is not your normal percentage lol.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

You are way off, more so than usual. I got a ton of heat for believing in Mark Sanchez. And search my posts to see what I have ever said good about Darron Lee.

Do yourself a favor and read the first post in this thread again. I made sure to attribute the post to the NY Jets, because they wrote it. The last line, the one that is critical of Lee, that is what I wrote.

I just wanted to clarify this because you were so wrong on both counts. Most of your posts contain something wrong, but 100% is not your normal percentage lol.

That's fair.  I apologize.

Still, I don't see you shutting down all negative Mark Sanchez threads, I don't see Mark Sanchez in your avatar, I don't see Mark Sanchez next to Curtis Martin and Joe Klecko in the JN header, there is a lot you can do to right the wrong of the social media assassination of Mark Sanchez.

SAR I

9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Should we change the team to accommodate him?  A guy drafted specifically to fit the system.

Honestly, I think we should change to a base 4-3 regardless of Lee.  I think most of our players would benefit from it.

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Still, I don't see you shutting down all negative Mark Sanchez threads, I don't see Mark Sanchez in your avatar, I don't see Mark Sanchez next to Curtis Martin and Joe Klecko in the JN header, there is a lot you can do to right the wrong of the social media assassination of Mark Sanchez.

SAR I

Man has a point here.

39 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Let's make a deal. You get Mark Sanchez to hang out with us and I will:

1. Buy dinner for the three of us

2. Apologize to him in person

:)

Archived