Give cousins 30 mil per and draft a QB in the first

nico002

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

And that isn't a problem unless you pay Kirk Cousins $30m/year. 

I'm with what you said yesterday..  no team is giving Kirk Cousins 30 Mil a year.  He will get something like 25 a year with 70 mil guaranteed though.  Too early to tell if the Jets would be players.  Gotta see what pick they wind up with.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Cousins is in his early 30s, no way, he’s got another 5-6 years at least. 

Says you.

He might have 2-3 years left. He might have 1 year left before he starts to play visibly worse.

You really don't know. Everyone doesn't feel the effects of getting older at the same pace.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Says you.

He might have 2-3 years left. He might have 1 year left before he starts to play visibly worse.

You really don't know. Everyone doesn't feel the effects of getting older at the same pace.

this, and the fact that he's already made a ton of money, are two great reasons not to overpay him.

19 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Worked for Washington....to a degree.  They drafted Cousins in round 4 same year they drafted Griffin.  I don't think it is the worse idea, but it would also depend on how the rest of the draft was utilized.

Last paragraph....I have to laugh.  You really despise Mac and all his moves, don't you? :)

Wrong. Washington didn't pay RGIII $30m/year, nor the 2012 equivalent of it, and they haven't won jack squat.

The last paragraph means you can't trade away a pick on someone else's flop, and then go throwing away more draft picks at the same position you spent $30m/year to solve. It has nothing to do with Macc.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Wouldn't be the drop dead worst outcome.  Expensive, but I like the idea of having multiple younger QB options.  Keep Hack as the #3, because why not, he's only 22 years old.

Overkill effort at QB is warranted for this franchise, tbqh.

If I had been GM, we'd currently have Deshaun Watson, Petty and Hack.  And I'd likely STILL draft Baker Mayfield this coming draft (dumping Petty to do it).

God, imagine having Watson, Mayfield, and Hack as the QB trio going into 2018.  Man that'd have been exciting.

One of these things is not like the others
One of these things just doesn't belong
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

On 10/31/2017 at 1:57 PM, BrickTamland said:

Exactly.

This offseason, between draft and FA, should be excellent for the Jets and should set them up nicely for a number of years.

The FA market has some guys who would be nice contributors and we have only a handful of guys to re-sign. Thankfully those guys are not break the bank type players.

Going into next year, we should have a QB (whether Alex Smith, Cousins or a 1st round talent), a playmaker and a pass-rusher.

Weren't we all saying this in February of 2015?  Are we set up nicely?

I think we'd be foolish not to go after Cousins (unless we land a top 2 pick). We have so much cap space next year and we can likely resign Claiborne, ASJ, Ealy, Davis, and Enunwa for $35M or so leaving us $50M to play with. Figure we save 10M for draft + in season moves so we have $40M left over. I don't think there is any FA that I'm really eyeing. Without a QB we are going to have to overpay to get someone here. Ansah is the only player I'd really covet in FA but I think he'll be tagged. I'd kick the tires on Landry, Robinson, or Adams but if they are looking for top WR money then I'd walk away. I'd rather front load a contract for Cousins while we have no one else to pay. I don't care what Woody pays him so long as it doesn't effect our ability to sign players in the later years of the contract. If we can resign our guys this offseason I'd be fine with devoting the rest of the cap to Cousins even it that's $50M in one year. It makes all the remaining years that much cheaper.

35 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think we'd be foolish not to go after Cousins (unless we land a top 2 pick). We have so much cap space next year and we can likely resign Claiborne, ASJ, Ealy, Davis, and Enunwa for $35M or so leaving us $50M to play with. Figure we save 10M for draft + in season moves so we have $40M left over. I don't think there is any FA that I'm really eyeing. Without a QB we are going to have to overpay to get someone here. Ansah is the only player I'd really covet in FA but I think he'll be tagged. I'd kick the tires on Landry, Robinson, or Adams but if they are looking for top WR money then I'd walk away. I'd rather front load a contract for Cousins while we have no one else to pay. I don't care what Woody pays him so long as it doesn't effect our ability to sign players in the later years of the contract. If we can resign our guys this offseason I'd be fine with devoting the rest of the cap to Cousins even it that's $50M in one year. It makes all the remaining years that much cheaper.

Jonathan joseph (not young but if Claiborne does not resign)

Aldon smith (big risk)

Adrian Clayborn (if we punt mo wilk)

Ziggy Anash (like you I'd view him as the #1 priority not on our team now.)

Carlos Hyde (surprised this guy seems to have fallen out of favor)

Jarvis Landry (he might want too much cash but a very useful player)

Russel Bodine (starting C for cincy)

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

His career record as a QB is 22-25-1, 0-1 in the playoffs.

I.e. he is not a "proven NFL winner", he's (thus far) a net loser as a NFL QB. 

These are the facts, no judgement being made here.

Second, let's expand your post:

I would bet on a proven (in college), low-cost college winner/producer over a productive, but exceedingly expensive, NFL QB with a career record of 22-25-1 to-date.

Remember, Kirk Cousins was once a unproven college kid too, one so poorly considered he wasn't taken till the 4th, and even then only by a team that just wanted a young backup for their shiny new #1 pick QB. 

If Cousins cost 15 mil a year, I'd be far more supportive (well, accepting) of it.  At his predicted asking price.....no.  He's good, no doubt.  He's not 30 mil a year for 7 years good.  Which is why the Skins haven't themselves signed him long term.

You grab cousins AND mayfield. Then best ol man in the 2nd and best o playmaker in the 3rd and so on. 

You have a starter in cousins, whi IS very good despite what some freaks claim here, Mayfield gets groomed for the future or as a back up plan and your o is instantly improved

its pretty simple. You could have cousins, a top 3 or 4 rated qb plus tons of offensive help. Who cares about money. This foolish organization never spends on qb were way overdue

5 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Cousins is in his early 30s, no way, he’s got another 5-6 years at least. 

Cousins turns 30 in August.   Look at the QBs now, there is no reason he can't be good for 6-7 years. 

He's not a 2-3 year stop gap.   He's an answer for 6-8 years, and he's proven he can play in the NFL.

@Sperm Edwards What are your thoughts on Alex Smith?  How much $$ and years do you think it would take for us to get him and are you a fan? Does 4 years at $18M per sound reasonable?

My biggest concern about him is his ceiling.  The goal is to win the Super Bowl and it's questionable if he can stand up to the big boys in post-season.   I would definitely bring back McCown as a backup QB if he'd re-sign here btw.  He feels like a poor man's Alex Smith to me. 

As for Cousins, I don't feel good about paying top $ for a guy who isn't worthy of that contract.  Plus QBs can always get injured.  Do we want to destroy our cap on a guy who may be a questionable fit?

Also, I would have to think that late next year Hackenberg might start being ready to be on the active roster so there's always that.

49 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

You grab cousins AND mayfield. Then best ol man in the 2nd and best o playmaker in the 3rd and so on. 

You have a starter in cousins, whi IS very good despite what some freaks claim here, Mayfield gets groomed for the future or as a back up plan and your o is instantly improved

its pretty simple. You could have cousins, a top 3 or 4 rated qb plus tons of offensive help. Who cares about money. This foolish organization never spends on qb were way overdue

If you pay Cousins big money for multiple, the other draft picks are to make the team better NOW.  You can't draft Mayfield if you do that with Cousins.

Sign Cousins for 2 years-they maybe you draft Mayfield.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

@Sperm Edwards What are your thoughts on Alex Smith?  How much $$ and years do you think it would take for us to get him and are you a fan? Does 4 years at $18M per sound reasonable?

My biggest concern about him is his ceiling.  The goal is to win the Super Bowl and it's questionable if he can stand up to the big boys in post-season.   I would definitely bring back McCown as a backup QB if he'd re-sign here btw.  He feels like a poor man's Alex Smith to me. 

As for Cousins, I don't feel good about paying top $ for a guy who isn't worthy of that contract.  Plus QBs can always get injured.  Do we want to destroy our cap on a guy who may be a questionable fit?

Also, I would have to think that late next year Hackenberg might start being ready to be on the active roster so there's always that.

I would pay Alex Smith a 1-2 year rental and draft a QB too.

If the Jets have to sign a QB for more than 2 years, QB drafting starts in 2019.

It would be nice to get out of the FA QB trap, but I think the Jets have to find a way to reset the meter.  This past draft was a good place to start, as was 2016 if they took Prescott.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No. Use my words, not your changing of my words with the "So, you're saying..." that I was not saying.

Derek Carr was 4.5 years younger than Cousins will be this coming FA period.

Stafford is a good year younger, has unusual arm strength that GMs drool over, arguably became a better QB once he lost Calvin Johnson, and he was "their" guy as a former #1 overall pick rather than a FA switching teams, making him already a fan favorite. You may scoff at that stuff, but you'd be wrong to think emotional ties to the player - for both the organization and for the fan base - doesn't factor in the talks. 

So whatever Carr's or Stafford's agents may or may not have said is irrelevant. Cousins does not have the same pull those guys had. He doesn't have the long-term future potential that Carr has for Oakland; Cousins wouldn't have the emotional attachment that Stafford has for Detroit, and quite simply, no GM is making him the highest paid QB in the history of the league. 

But put in more plain terms, those guys got that much because they are unanimously viewed as franchise QBs. Cousins is not.

Cousins seems more in line for a slightly-higher (but proportional for salary cap inflation) version of what Alex Smith got in KC. That isn't in the $30m range. It's closer to the $23m range at the very top end.

Actually, what I was trying to clarify was your words, not the changing of said words.  Now I understand.  Still disagree to a point, but at least I understand.

34 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Smith is a guy I’d bring in if the rest of the team looked like the 2009-2010 or 2015 Jets, where a competent but unspectacular QB is enough to maybe get where we want to get. I don’t see the 2018 Jets in that light. 

At the same time, it’s not a slam dunk he’ll be available. 

As far as money, he’s under contract for 2018 at $17m. At that money, it would require a trade because he has that value. In the freakish off-chance the Cheifs release him somehow, he’d still get that same $17m from someone before clearing waivers. It’s somewhat ideal for him: he’s good but not other-wordly; it’s not a bank-breaking amount, and every year with him going forward is a crapshoot to an extent because you don’t know when time will catch up with him until it happens.

So many QBs still looked really good, with a couple years left in him, in their 2nd-last season. Then reality happened.

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Actually, what I was trying to clarify was your words, not the changing of said words.  Now I understand.  Still disagree to a point, but at least I understand.

Fair enough.

Quick summary is here: he won’t get $30m from anybody because no GM will view him as a $30m/year franchise QB. Not unless he manages to get to or win a SB this year, in which case he’s not hitting FA anyway.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Fair enough.

Quick summary is here: he won’t get $30m from anybody because no GM will view him as a $30m/year franchise QB. Not unless he manages to get to or win a SB this year, in which case he’s not hitting FA anyway.

That is my feeling; Washington doesn't view him as a franchise QB, but if he hits the market, there will be a team that will give him Carr or Stafford money I bet.

We shall see in about six months.  I hope we see Petty and Hack play after Thursday, because the season will basically be over.

20 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

That is my feeling; Washington doesn't view him as a franchise QB, but if he hits the market, there will be a team that will give him Carr or Stafford money I bet.

We shall see in about six months.  I hope we see Petty and Hack play after Thursday, because the season will basically be over.

Nope. Not happening. Nobody is offering him $30m. Bet whatever you want. Name it.

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Jonathan joseph (not young but if Claiborne does not resign)

Aldon smith (big risk)

Adrian Clayborn (if we punt mo wilk)

Ziggy Anash (like you I'd view him as the #1 priority not on our team now.)

Carlos Hyde (surprised this guy seems to have fallen out of favor)

Jarvis Landry (he might want too much cash but a very useful player)

Russel Bodine (starting C for cincy)

Joseph will be 34 in April so I think I'd pass on him.

Aldon Smith can't get his head on straight, I don't think he is they type of personality I'd like to invest any money in.

I like Ealy at age 25 over Clayborn at 30 not to mention I like paying our own guys more than FAs.

I really like Ansah but again I don't see Detroit letting him walk, I think he'll get the franchise tag if he is not resigned. If he hits FA then by all means I'm 100% on board with paying him a big deal.

I like Hyde, not sure he provides much of an upgrade over Powell or McGuire though.

I like Jarvis Landry if he'll sign for 11M or around what Desean Jackson signed for. I'd kick the tires on Allen Robinson on a prove it deal with Enunwa (prove it deal), Anderson, Kearse, Stewart, & ASJ I think we are in good shape. 

Russel Bodine, I don't know anything about him but he's young and at a position of need so pending quality of play I'm on board.

I'm really okay with any of these options but I think we need to at least address QB in FA to allow us the flexibility to do what we want on draft day. If we roll into the draft with some combo of Petty/Hack/McCown then I think we need to trade up to #1 to make sure we secure the QB we want. I don't think we'd be able to sit back and let the draft fall to us because teams will jump us to get a QB.

1) Cousins + Keep all draft picks and go BPA

2) Alex Smith/Drew Brees + 1st Round QB who falls to us

3) Tyrod Taylor/AJ McCarron + 2nd Round QB

4) Trade a ton of picks to get up to #1 pick for a QB

There is no situation where I view Cousins + QB in this draft as a good thing let alone a QB in the top 3 rounds. I can't see Cousins signing less than 5 years with a team.

On 10/31/2017 at 12:30 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Cousins isn't going to command $30m/year from us or from anyone.

he will be in the 20-25 range and that could go higher if a bidding war starts and it also depends on where Cousins wants to play and how that weighs in on the bidding/ He would be smart to keep quiet where he wants to play hoping said team gets run up in the bidding. It will be interesting to watch how it all plays out

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

he will be in the 20-25 range and that could go higher if a bidding war starts and it also depends on where Cousins wants to play and how that weighs in on the bidding/ He would be smart to keep quiet where he wants to play hoping said team gets run up in the bidding. It will be interesting to watch how it all plays out

I'd be pretty surprised if you can land a FA QB in his prime for that rate.

5 minutes ago, nico002 said:

This team with cousins, enunwa, a solid draft, and some key FA additions can be scary good

1. Kearse

2. Enunwa

3. Robinson

4. Stewart

5. Hanson

6. Sefarian-Jenkins

7. Thompson

8. Leggett

Is this enough talent for 2018?

Archived