Give cousins 30 mil per and draft a QB in the first

nico002

We have more cap that we know what to do with. There are not enough quality FA for us to spend even 2/3 of it.

if we are ok paying bum ass Wilkerson 18 mil, cousins is easily worth it.

guy is a top 5 QB and has 3-6 years of production left.

QB issue solved for present and future.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe.  the trick is to make sure the other needs on the oline are addressed or they may be stuck with an injured player. the thing too, is for all his ability the redskins only have 3 wins and 4 losses.  i don't follow them so i don't know how good they are.  but it points out that the qb isnt everything.

8 minutes ago, nico002 said:

We have more cap that we know what to do with. There are not enough quality FA for us to spend even 2/3 of it.

3-6? He's a QB, he has 8-10 years of production left.  I agree as well.  I've been on the Cousins train for since last season.  Big fan

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

maybe.  the trick is to make sure the other needs on the oline are addressed or they may be stuck with an injured player. the thing too, is for all his ability the redskins only have 3 wins and 4 losses.  i don't follow them so i don't know how good they are.  but it points out that the qb isnt everything.

His Oline has been ravaged.  This past Sunday he was playing with 3 OLineman that literally had a couple days worth of practice with him before the game and he lost his other starting guard during the game.  In previous seasons, the Skins have had no running game nor a defense so any wins or points has mostly been because of Cousins carrying the team to those wins.  

I liked Cousins alot coming out of school, as a mid-round pick.

I like Cousins alot less as a 30+ million a year, 5+ year contract, type player.

He is simply not that good.

30 million buys alot of talent.

Draft a QB, use the 30 mil to surround him with talent and O-line help.

It'll be interesting to see what Cousins gets. Is Carr's $25m a year the highest? I'm sure UFA is going to help his market value but $30m a year would really blow the previous largest annual value out of the water. Also will be interesting to see the balance between years, guarantees, and max value.

Do like the idea of signing Cousins and making heavy improvements to the OL.

They definitely have the cap space to make a big splash.

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I liked Cousins alot coming out of school, as a mid-round pick.

I like Cousins alot less as a 30+ million a year, 5+ year contract, type player.

He is simply not that good.

30 million buys alot of talent.

Draft a QB, use the 30 mil to surround him with talent and O-line help.

Even if they spent $30M on Cousins, they'll still have another 50-60M to spend. I agree that he's not worth the top contract in the NFL, but I also think he's easily heads and shoulders the best option out there for 2018. And with 3 picks in the top two rounds, I'd still take a chance on a QB in the draft.

That being said, I don't think there's a chance in hell Cousins comes to NY.

You structure the contract so his biggest years are up front, f*ck it, it's not my money! This whole OVERPAYING BS is exactly that. You can't win in this league without a freaking QB! In the draft the Jets will have 3 of the top 100 players. 

Call me crazy but if they get a QB you take the best CB, LT or Pass Rusher with that 1st pick. Premier positions. You try to resign, ASJ, Claiborne (won't get a huge contract anywhere else because of his past injury history), you hope that a QB you like falls to that 1st second rounder if not your looking for Olineman to protect Cousins. 

Lets hope the Jets are in the running for Mike McGlinchey. Now you have Cousins & you have your 12 year LT. Boring but efficient to start the 2018 draft. 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

You structure the contract so his biggest years are up front, f*ck it, it's not my money! This whole OVERPAYING BS is exactly that. You can't win in this league without a freaking QB! In the draft the Jets will have 3 of the top 100 players. 

Call me crazy but if they get a QB you take the best CB, LT or Pass Rusher with that 1st pick. Premier positions. You try to resign, ASJ, Claiborne (won't get a huge contract anywhere else because of his past injury history), you hope that a QB you like falls to that 1st second rounder if not your looking for Olineman to protect Cousins. 

Lets hope the Jets are in the running for Mike McGlinchey. Now you have Cousins & you have your 12 year LT. Boring but efficient to start the 2018 draft. 

Exactly.

This offseason, between draft and FA, should be excellent for the Jets and should set them up nicely for a number of years.

The FA market has some guys who would be nice contributors and we have only a handful of guys to re-sign. Thankfully those guys are not break the bank type players.

Going into next year, we should have a QB (whether Alex Smith, Cousins or a 1st round talent), a playmaker and a pass-rusher.

Make or break for Mac. 

26 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Cousins isn't going to command $30m/year from us or from anyone.

I agree with you. Stafford set the bar at the 25 million rung on the ladder. I'd be dancing my azz off landing Cousins! You hope McGlinchey is there (I see us at 3rd or 4th pick). You go BAP at CB, Pass Rusher at 2, unless a really talented RB is sitting there like Leveon Bell was for the Steelers. I would not be averse to say drafting Nick Chubb with our first #2. 

Cousins-Chubb-McGlinchey....yea pinch me. With our second 2nd & high 3rd still to come! Wesley Johnson is underwhelming at Center so we need an upgrade to get the running game going so if Billy Price lasts to top of the 3rd we'd all be in heaven. Might be good enough to take with our 2nd two. McGlinchey-Carpenter-Price-Winters-Shell, now we're talking. 

Enunwa comes back. We resign ASJ & Claiborne. We target 2 other named free agents, 1st one being Ezekiel Ansah and the 2nd one being Malcom Butler (Trumaine Johnson is way too expensive), Butler adds toughness & is really versatile. Plus he's a special teams demon & brings with him passion & a winning attitude. That's a helluva start with your high #3 & #4 picks still to come. You remade your Oline, you have mid tier CBs at mid tier prices, ASJ can't ask for too much with his past, Ansah brings the edge presence we need to take the heat off of Williams, we give Mo a take it or leave it ultimatum of a contract reduction. 

You fill out the roster with bargain vets i.e. LBs. Not rocket science, lol.

1 minute ago, JetFaninMI said:

These scenarios are all well and good but your forgetting MACC is still the GM. As long as he is calling the shots I am skeptical as to whether he can make it happen.

Also what's preventing anyone else with cap room from signing him?

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

Even if they spent $30M on Cousins, they'll still have another 50-60M to spend. I agree that he's not worth the top contract in the NFL, but I also think he's easily heads and shoulders the best option out there for 2018. And with 3 picks in the top two rounds, I'd still take a chance on a QB in the draft.

That being said, I don't think there's a chance in hell Cousins comes to NY.

I agree, he's not coming here.

But even if he was willing, spend the 90 million on talent, and draft a QB.  JMO, I DO understand why others feel differently, but the problem is no one lets legit franchise QB's go.  IF Cousins, or Bridgewater, or Luck even are available...there is a reason.  The kind that should be a huge warning sign to a franchise like ours.

I'll take Baker Mayfield, 2 2nd Round Draft Pick O-linemen, and 90 million of Free Agent RB, WR, Pass Rush and D-line help > Cousins.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree, he's not coming here.

But even if he was willing, spend the 90 million on talent, and draft a QB.  JMO, I DO understand why others feel differently, but the problem is no one lets legit franchise QB's go.  IF Cousins, or Bridgewater, or Luck even are available...there is a reason.  The kind that should be a huge warning sign to a franchise like ours.

I'll take Baker Mayfield, 2 2nd Round Draft Pick O-linemen, and 90 million of Free Agent RB, WR, Pass Rush and D-line help > Cousins.

Here's another scenario based on what your saying above. Let's say that for some crazy reason Sean Payton gets let go & Brees isn't resigned. Would you be averse to hiring Payton as Head Coach, signing Brees, you have Morton and Bates in place, you draft Baker Mayfield, who being similar to Brees in stature gets to learn behind him? Even if we couldn't get Payton it could work. You'd still have your high 2, low 2 & high 3. Or are you totally averse to signing an older veteran?

37 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

These scenarios are all well and good but your forgetting MACC is still the GM. As long as he is calling the shots I am skeptical as to whether he can make it happen.

Don't you worry, I've sent him my blueprint for success. I do actually think that a group of Jet fans that post on this board could have had better drafts than the Jets have had over the last 5 years. Not hard to do,

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

Give cousins 30 mil per.. "...

aa623f5c470f29b2c5d645f3da9dde2e

Cousins is a good QB who's not going to win many games he's not supposed to win. There's also a large Twitter/media faction that hates Cousins for a multitude of reasons and they'd be relentless in killing the Jets when he inevitably doesnt live up to the outrageous contract. Either way, unless the Jets were able to build a perfect team around him, it's not going to work. Go homegrown on the QB.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

If we sign Cousins, the move is to draft an OL or Saquon Barkley with our first round pick. With Cousins/Barkley/Enunwa/Anderson/ASJ/Kearse/Stewart/Hansen this offense will be top 10 for game 1 of next season. 

Obviously, if neither an elite OL or Barkley are available you go edge rusher. Not a fan of going DB again. The CBs don't need to be elite if you have Adams/Mayes. 

As we know from our years of being Jet fans, the Johnsons are not purists-they are entertainers.  The Jets, like the Chiefs, have generally been reluctant to invest 1st round draft picks on QBS, and would rather play in the FA and other markets.  The Chiefs, despite their success this year, have not lately been a team to go deep in the playoffs despite at times the best OL or secondary in the NFL.  I think they have tried to change that under a GM, who they fired, who hopefully will one day be the Jets GM.

Hopefully the Jets really did not offer Mike Glennon real money.  But in any event, I find it hard to believe that the Jets will not throw a ton of money at Cousins.  It is the best way to fill the stadium with Jet and not other fans.  Any QB will be some risk-look at Bortles or Tannehill.  To me the issue is not what to pay him per year-it is how many years we are on the hook.  Depending on where we are picking, I would say few (if picking high) or more (if picking lower).  First round QBs are under contract for five years, so 2 years of Cousins would not be bad.  

But knowing Snyder, he is thinking he needs to get something from Cousins.  No team should be stupid enough to pay him top dollar and give up high draft picks.  You pay a high draft pick or money for a player, not both.

The 49ers are not out of this race-Garopollo's contract is up-they would need to extend him or franchise him.  I can't say I completely buy what the 49ers did.

But the Jets would have to be bold to make a Cousins deal happen.  Don't know whether they can do it.  I do think it makes some sense if they can use it as an opportunity to find a QB later on that can replace him.  

Archived