For the folks who have been here for awhile: "Worst ingame startegist? Herm or Bowles?"

SouthernJet

So who is a worse ingame manager/adjuster/startegist/game manager? Bowles or Herm?   

69 members have voted

1. 1. So who is a worse ingame manager/adjuster/startegist/game manager? Bowles or Herm? 

• Bowles
    • Herm

Thye both have same resume for gods sake. 1 - Both had NFL careers (I hate long NFL career Vets who become coaches , cause while they were playing, other guys were wrrking way up coahcing tree learning the job and different positions etc). 2 - Both had pretty short NFL coaching careers before getting to be a HC.  3 - WORST of all non Coordiantor experience. Its a NFL NO-NO to hire non coordinators. Herm was DB coach on a team that had asd DC , Defensive Genius Monte Kiffin (Herm got coffee for Monte) and was NEVER a coordinator when NnFL rammed Herm on Woody. Bowles was ONLY a 1 year coordinator under Arians after also being a DB coach.

This lack of putting time in, going up the ropes as coaches, to me, shows as both of these guys  (we all remember the Herm Time Mgt threads here) have terrible ingame adjusments, startegy ability once game starts. We seem to not be able to counter the adjustments opponenents make on us and we lost any early leads we had. I rarely saw a different approach on 2nd half or alter scheme vs opposing offense. I think we got the Gipper speech at halftime from Herm and Bowles.

So who is a worse ingame manager/adjuster/startegist/game manager? Bowles or Herm? 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Philc1 said:

Bowles makes Herm look like Belichick 

LOL. I looked back and Walton had same disease Bowles did. Quite a few halftime laeads or very close game, but losing at end. Walton was up 75% of time at halftime and well you know the rest. They are OK w/gameplan when given 4 days to plan quietly at Florham w/no pressure , but once game starts they can not INGAME coach/adjust, which is 75% of how game ends up. All teams adjust to what you throw at them, yet I never saw Bowles make hardly any ingame adjustments or counter those thrown at us. (as you mention Herm also had this unskill)

Some folks blame OC or DC, but remember, all calls go thru HC headset. a HC can awats yell to OC at 1st&goal at 3 yd line:  "DONT RISK PASS, RUN 3 TIMES, then kick FG to WIN"

Just now, SouthernJet said:

LOL. I looked back and Walton had same disease Bowles did. Quite a few halftime laeads or very close game, but losing at end. Walton was up 75% of time at halftime and well you know the rest. They are OK w/gameplan when given 4 days to plan quietly at Florham w/no pressure , but once game starts they can not INGAME coach/adjust, which is 75% of how game ends up. All teams adjust to what you throw at them, yet I never saw Bowles make hardly any ingame adjustments or counter those thrown at us. (as you mention Herm also had this unskill)

Some folks blame OC or DC, but remember, all calls go thru HC headset. a HC can awats yell to OC at 1st&goal at 3 yd line:  "DONT RISK PASS, RUN 3 TIMES, then kick FG to WIN"

Bowles is a clown.  It’s amazing he survived this crappy season but the Johnson’s are as clueless as it gets

6 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I think people here have short memories.  Herm was among the worst time managers that I have ever seen.

I’ve seen Bowles take timeouts that helped the other team to the point the players on the other sideline were in disbelief 

Wasn't it Dick Curl  or Jimmy "someone" (offensive coach) or other who was hired to take over clock managment because Herm was so bad at it ? A good idea but there seemed little difference after we had a fulltime clock guy.

Not saying its true, but I thought Herm would get more votes. many JN oldtimers posting here got kicked off of that other jet site (I forget its name) for being anti-Herm. Actually banned for non curse word posts just saying he is horrible etc. etc. Maybe Phil knows why (that site was getting perks from Jets etc? I have no clue)

I know that was last reason why I was banned from there.

I respect your opinion, but I never saw much good in Herm other than motivation (which Tuna said lasted for 1 series of smashmouthing and bone crunching hits)

in Herms defense, Jets did disservice hiring him. Literally one of 2 or 3 guys ever hired as HC without ever being  acoordinator (wher eyou lrearn to manage/lead/gameplan one side of team). He was thrown to wolves by NFL and Woody accepted. herm needed to be promoted by some team in NFL to coordinator 1st and then see if he had the chops othe rtahn motivating. I want Xsos and ingame coaching baility. games are won by smartest General once game starts who can adjust in  a milliseconde and counter adjust.

Thanks for posting :) Go Jets 2018

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Bowles is the worst...because when he sees something isn’t working he plays like he never seen something not working....

THIS.

Herm couldn't call a timeout when needed. I think he was physically unable to do it. The guy was utterly clueless.

Bowles is bad in every facet of in game management. Bad to the point of grab the TV and shake that sh*t. In my younger days my flat screen would not have survived the season with Bowles as the HC.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Herm never coordinated, adjusted, or strategized anything.  Hell, he hired Dick Curl to tell him when to call a time out!

Herm was a cheerleader and motivator.  Nothing else. 

Remember that? So F-in funny and sad - that an NFL HC had to hire someone to tell him when to call TO's...Only the Jets.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Kotite would take the cake as worst HC - no question in my mind.  Herm won playoff games.  Bowles has won 10 games.

IMO Bowles is already the fourth best coach the Jets have ever had. Weeb Ewbank, Walt Michaels, Bill Parcells, than Todd Bowles. Why he gets no, or so little, credit is beyond me. 

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I think people here have short memories.  Herm was among the worst time managers that I have ever seen.

Yeah, Herm was demonstrably worse but I don't want that to be interpreted as an endorsement of bowles in game management which, while not as bad, is still not acceptable.

17 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

IMO Bowles is already the fourth best coach the Jets have ever had. Weeb Ewbank, Walt Michaels, Bill Parcells, than Todd Bowles. Why he gets no, or so little, credit is beyond me. 

Because the fan base is frustrated with losing and bowles lacks any emotion. But let's be honest, bowles in game management is not good. 

Is that a product of the talent? Perhaps, but he has a lot to prove before I'm convinced that he's the man to lead us into the future.

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Bowles is the worst...because when he sees something isn’t working he plays like he never seen something not working....

Like running the ball to try and kick a long FG into the wind at Heinz Field. Bowles in conservative Herm was ultra conservative .

Archived