Offensive Line

DMan77

Foles is a pretty good QB. Wentz looks good too... But neither of them come close to putting up the numbers they put up without that offensive line of the Eagles. Both guys had all the time in the world back there. Paired with some athletic WRs, they made it look easy.

That's what a good line can do. It elevates your QB from a 7 to a 9.

I know we all want a Manning/Brady/Rodgers type QB. Of course we do. But with a focus on greatly improving the offensive line you don't need one of those guys to win. I think this year really proved that. Sure, someone like McCown may not be good enough, but I think with a strong line you don't have to hope to find a hall of fame QB to win. The odds are better to find someone on the next tier or two, and give him all the protection you can. 

I really hope to see the Jets work hard to revamp things there in the next 80 days or so. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Foles is a pretty good QB. Wentz looks good too... But neither of them come close to putting up the numbers they put up without that offensive line of the Eagles. Both guys had all the time in the world back there. Paired with some athletic WRs, they made it look easy.

I know we all want a Manning/Brady/Rodgers type QB. Of course we do. But with a focus on greatly improving the offensive line you don't need one of those guys to win. I think this year really proved that. Sure, someone like McCown may not be good enough, but I think with a strong line you don't have to hope to find a hall of fame QB to win. The odds are better to find someone on the next tier or two, and give him all the protection you can. 

I really hope to see the Jets work hard to revamp things there in the next 80 days or so. 

I want Quentin Nelson then if we follow this line of reasoning.  Give me Lauletta or one of those 2nd tier QBs in the 2nd round.

21 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Eagles lost their MVP candidate QB and perennial pro bowl LT and they won the super bowl.  We lose some sh*tty role player and wet our pants every Sunday.

It is amazing the injuries they had and over came.  

Lost Sproles too, pretty sure they lost the MLB, who calls the signals on D.  

Hell, we lose Fireman Ed for a game and can't get over that.

40 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

the eagle oline certainly did a great job keeping foles clean.  but foles also threw passes into very small windows and his receivers were catching the ball too.

For reference...

Eagles OL PFF grade:

Vaitai 39.7 (But Peters 86.4)

Wisniewski 75.4

Kelce 91.5

Brooks 88

Johnson 85.3

Jets OL PFF grade:

Beachum 72.7

Carpenter 41.4

Johnson 31.3

Winters 36.9 

Shell 65.3

Redskins OL PFF grade:

Williams 82.1 

Kouandjio 49 

Roullier 56.6

Scherff 83.2

Moses 71.4

It's an and/or thing for me regarding Oline and QB. Dont HAVE to have both be awesome, but at least one of them better be and, ideally both, of course. 

Dont want to repeat what has been said and is true of the NE O line when it comes to holding, but theyve done it for a long time with a decent O line and a HOF QB.

19 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Get all 3 = prosper 

Rather get one of the OTs but really, I'd rather see if I could sneak up to get Barkley if we already signed Cousins.  Think about that insta-upgrade.  Cousins, Barkley, Jensen, Norwell.  Oh...and budget some money for Robby Anderson to have a good attorney.

32 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Rather get one of the OTs but really, I'd rather see if I could sneak up to get Barkley if we already signed Cousins.  Think about that insta-upgrade.  Cousins, Barkley, Jensen, Norwell.  Oh...and budget some money for Robby Anderson to have a good attorney.

Forever I've always been a big fan a a super group, so I'd take Nelson and draft Michel and a TE in R2. Btw I'd actually keep Mo too. I'd expect him motivated with a better team around him.  

This would at least be an interesting team to watch 

your 3 big FA signings QB, OG, OC

your 3 big draft picks OG, RB, TE

2 hours ago, Larz said:

If they sign cousins I would love Nelson at 6, if he is still available 

Nelson would be my choice too.  And I don't know why maybe it has something to do with his like on a Jets related tweet which could've meant absolutely nothing but I feel like they're trying to get Cousins and Allen Robinson here right away.  I think they're going to tell Cousins that they're going to go hard and will most likely be able to get Allen Robinson here to join our already young talented receiving unit.  I also think they'll tell Cousins that they plan on upgrading the offensive line by adding two All Pro caliber lineman like Ryan Jensen and Weston Richburg.  I also think they tell Cousins that they plan on adding a stud RB with one of our two 2nd round picks.  Who wouldn't drool over that potential offense??

At the end of the day I think we end up with Cousins, Allen Robinson, Ryan Jensen and Trumaine Johnson via Free Agency and draft Quenton Nelson with our 6 along with Billy Price and Sony Michel or Ronald Jones II with our two 2nd round picks.  

2 hours ago, DMan77 said:

You are absolutely right, but Mac's philosophy is to not put heavy resources into the offensive line.  I think that's how the Texans did things when he was there.  Maybe that changes this year.  

Whether the Jets sign Cousins or draft a QB, they need to go heavy on the OL.  You can't develop a QB behind a swiss cheese offensive line.  And say what you want to say about Petty, but he definitely was worse this year than he was last and that's because of how many times he got smashed last year.

27 minutes ago, GATA said:

Funny enough this team continues to spend the majority of its resources on Defense and old QBs than a well rounded O line.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

David DeCastro was just named the best Olineman for 2017. When our line was weak yrs ago I wanted this guy. He was a cant miss anchor they said. Smart too coming out of Stanford. Great scouting report. He is the reason why bell gets all his yards, and he didn’t let up a sack this yr. But a Dminded HC felt a Dlineman with questions about dogging it ( coples) was the better way to go ?. We could have used the hackenberg pick on a good lineman also. But we haven’t draft a Onlineman before 2nd round since 2006. We made the playoffs in 09/10 in large part of the dominant Oline we had. Picking dbrick and mangold at 4 and 34? sounded them with a few good vets. It’s not a hard blueprint to success. But ofcourse we let Dminded coaches only give attention to D

14 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

David DeCastro was just named the best Olineman for 2017. When our line was weak yrs ago I wanted this guy. He was a cant miss anchor they said. Smart too coming out of Stanford. Great scouting report. He is the reason why bell gets all his yards, and he didn’t let up a sack this yr. But a Dminded HC felt a Dlineman with questions about dogging it ( coples) was the better way to go ?. We could have used the hackenberg pick on a good lineman also. But we haven’t draft a Onlineman before 2nd round since 2006. We made the playoffs in 09/10 in large part of the dominant Oline we had. Picking dbrick and mangold at 4 and 34? sounded them with a few good vets. It’s not a hard blueprint to success. But ofcourse we let Dminded coaches only give attention to D

Ugh. I really hope that changes this year. 2 (or more) new pieces on that line will dramatically change this team for the better. I really believe that. 

22 hours ago, nycdan said:

Norwell (88.8) and Jensen (74.9) in FA.  Fixes our two worst spots.  Don't even need to reach for Nelson at #6.  He looks great but he's a Guard and let's just try not to do that unless we trade down.  

Agreed. I'm all for taking a Left Tackle in the 1st round, but please no guard. Almost as bad as taking a safety.

20 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Nitpick but Mangold was picked with the 29th pick.  Both were first rounders.  It was a fantastic move by Tannenbaum in his first draft, overshadowing the pick of the boar-hunter two rounds later.  

21 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

Nelson would be my choice too.  And I don't know why maybe it has something to do with his like on a Jets related tweet which could've meant absolutely nothing but I feel like they're trying to get Cousins and Allen Robinson here right away.  I think they're going to tell Cousins that they're going to go hard and will most likely be able to get Allen Robinson here to join our already young talented receiving unit.  I also think they'll tell Cousins that they plan on upgrading the offensive line by adding two All Pro caliber lineman like Ryan Jensen and Weston Richburg.  I also think they tell Cousins that they plan on adding a stud RB with one of our two 2nd round picks.  Who wouldn't drool over that potential offense??

At the end of the day I think we end up with Cousins, Allen Robinson, Ryan Jensen and Trumaine Johnson via Free Agency and draft Quenton Nelson with our 6 along with Billy Price and Sony Michel or Ronald Jones II with our two 2nd round picks.  

I don't really feel like Cousins is the right solution but if we were to go in that direction, I like the choices you made.  

The one thing about an OL is that you can keep that player for 10 years.  Mangold and D'Brick were staples on our OL for about that long.  We appeared in 2 AFC title games too and they were no small part of that (especially considering we had Sanchez as our QB).  Drafting a RB at 6 feels really risky because their shelf life is short and you can usually get comparable production from guys in later rounds.  I still think drafting a QB is the way to go (assuming Macc likes and can acquire one of these guys at a reasonable enough cost).  If not though, Quentin Nelson sounds like a very intriguing prospect.

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Nitpick but Mangold was picked with the 29th pick.  Both were first rounders.  It was a fantastic move by Tannenbaum in his first draft, overshadowing the pick of the boar-hunter two rounds later.  

I thought he may have. Did we trade up a few spots for him from our early second ? I thought debrick was a bit of a reach at 4. But I always believed a Olineman is by far the lowest risk of a bust. And given our early first round busts I understood playing it safe. Maybe now Bowles keeps his mouth shut a little more, but can you imagine last yr or yr before picking two Olineman in first round ? Bowles would literally have to be restrained from attacking Mac. He should not even be in the draft room this yr

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I thought he may have. Did we trade up a few spots for him from our early second ? I thought debrick was a bit of a reach at 4. But I always believed a Olineman is by far the lowest risk of a bust. And given our early first round busts I understood playing it safe. Maybe now Bowles keeps his mouth shut a little more, but can you imagine last yr or yr before picking two Olineman in first round ? Bowles would literally have to be restrained from attacking Mac. He should not even be in the draft room this yr

I believe we traded Abraham for that pick but it was a 3-team trade with Atlanta and Denver.  I don't remember the details.  Worked out pretty well for us though.

The scoop: "The Iowa guys are always going to be quick and proficient, but you have to see them tested against power because they are usually going to be a little smaller, too. This guy has decent size and I think he's got pretty good functional power. He would come in and challenge for best center in our division right away." -- NFC exec on Iowa C James Daniels

The skinny: It's become a given that Kirk Ferentz's Iowa program will crank out well-schooled, zone-heavy blockers with good hand placement and footwork. However, Daniels is not just a "system" lineman. His initial quickness is outstanding, allowing him to win the race for top position as a run blocker. While he loses to power on occasion, Daniels appears to have room for more mass on his frame. He'll appeal to teams with move-oriented running games, like the Giants, Redskins and 49ers. Daniels should be one of the top two centers off the board, along with Ohio State's Billy Price.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915591/article/sources-tell-us-asus-kalen-ballage-will-be-star-of-nfl-combine?campaign=tw-cf-sf181737590-sf181737590&sf181737590=1

On 2/6/2018 at 6:49 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

The one thing about an OL is that you can keep that player for 10 years.  Mangold and D'Brick were staples on our OL for about that long.  We appeared in 2 AFC title games too and they were no small part of that (especially considering we had Sanchez as our QB).  Drafting a RB at 6 feels really risky because their shelf life is short and you can usually get comparable production from guys in later rounds.  I still think drafting a QB is the way to go (assuming Macc likes and can acquire one of these guys at a reasonable enough cost).  If not though, Quentin Nelson sounds like a very intriguing prospect.

You can keep them 10 years if you pay them.  You can also pay another team's guys  top dollar like we did with Mawae and Faneca.  I don't care about shelf life.  You have the player for 4-5 years.  After that it is 2nd contract, which is reserved for the truly special IMO.

On 2/5/2018 at 10:13 PM, Jetsplayer21 said:

You make good points.  A great OL could be the way for a team with a less-than-spectacular QB to succeed.  Then again I guess the Cowboys are an example of an attempt of that move.  They've been up and down.

If the Jets sign Cousins, they could easily fix the Oline in many scenarios.

1- Sign Jensen/Richburg & Norwell

2- Sign Jensen, draft Nelson & cut Carpenter

3- Sign Norwell & draft Price or Daniels

4- Trade out of 6 & get another 2nd & 3rd and draft Nelson/Hernandez & Price/Daniels

I've been a supporter of Macc but if he doesn't fix our Oline with the free agent dollars we have & 3 picks in the top 50 he's gotta go.

Now we are talking!  Love the O-Line talk.  I would love to build up one of the top offensive lines in the league.  Nelson at 6 is interesting but every draft analyst will tell you that with a top 6 pick you either take a QB, Left Tackle, or Pass rusher.  Nelson and Price would be tremendous additions to this line.

44 minutes ago, jets rooter said:

It wouldn't surprise me.If the jets drafted 3 offensive linemen in the coming draft.left tackle,center and guard would be a blessing for the jets future.

It certainly wouldn't be the worst decision.  A great OL makes the whole offense better.  It opens holes for RBs.  It gives the QB time to throw.  It gives the WRs more time to get open.  It even helps the defense if your offense can control the clock.

I still hope we draft a QB at 6 if one Macc likes falls to us but there might be value at QB in round 2 (Lauletta/Rudolph).  

And whoever this Norwell guy is, I'm all for the Jets signing him.  

Archived