Jets look to sign Avery Williamson

hawk

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I like this signing. He's still only 26. Good move.

Now if we can just get Darron Lee playing at a high level on a consistent basis...

Trade Daron Lee. Move J Adams to his ILB spot. Sign Honey Badger. I just want no part of Lee in the box and no part of Adams in the secondary.

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is an exciting one. If you have $100 mil, you need to steal young, productive players. Sort of feel bad for Demario who was one of the few Jets still battling at the end of the season. He’d be a good pickup for the Giants, who need linebackers and who need leadership. Something to watch: Davis covered up for Lee a lot and did a bunch of the dirty work. Is Williamson the type of dude to sacrifice himself so Lee can clean up?

Agreed.... though Williamson is bordering all pro.  Jury’s out on Lee.  Arrow looks to be pointing up !

36 minutes ago, BigO said:

Trade Daron Lee. Move J Adams to his ILB spot. Sign Honey Badger. I just want no part of Lee in the box and no part of Adams in the secondary.

I thought about this, Adams is smaller than Lee. I don't think he has the meat to compete in the running game as an ILB

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is an exciting one. If you have $100 mil, you need to steal young, productive players. Sort of feel bad for Demario who was one of the few Jets still battling at the end of the season. He’d be a good pickup for the Giants, who need linebackers and who need leadership. Something to watch: Davis covered up for Lee a lot and did a bunch of the dirty work. Is Williamson the type of dude to sacrifice himself so Lee can clean up?

Can we get a mod to handle this? It appears tomshane's account has been hacked by a optimistic Jets fan. 

1 minute ago, Sully80 said:

I thought about this, Adams is smaller than Lee. I don't think he has the meat to compete in the running game as an ILB

True but I’m desperate to get rid of Lee. And Adams is just terrible in coverage. Use him as a hybrid LB/safety, and sign the honey badger to play along with Maye. 

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Williamson can play the thumper role that Davis played last year, while Lee will continue as the floater.

1 minute ago, BigO said:

True but I’m desperate to get rid of Lee. And Adams is just terrible in coverage. Use him as a hybrid LB/safety, and sign the honey badger to play along with Maye. 

I agree with you about Lee, I don't think Adams is that bad in coverage, multiple OPIs on Gronk when Adams was covering him that game he went off. Kelce had a big game but I think one of those long TDs were largely in part to a miscommunication about who was getting help. His game is best in the box though I just don't think he's big enough for full time ILB work.  I'd like the Honey Badger but I've read he's progressing towards restructuring, who knows though. 

55 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Lee is better served to clean up the horse poop ? in Central Park.

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Who is your profile pic of?  It reminds me of the bad guy in No Country For Old Men but I don't think it's him.

2 years younger, and at least moderately better player.  This is a net positive.  

So let's review.  So far we have signed FAs that have improved us at CB and LB.  Meanwhile, on the offensive side, we have resigned the same over-the-hill QB we had last year (only a year closer to social security), a backup who will likely never play while Todd Bowles still breathes, and a RB that may be a modest improvement at best.  No help for the OL, WR or TE positions.  Yep...sounds about right for this regime.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

2 years younger, and at least moderately better player.  This is a net positive.  

So let's review.  So far we have signed FAs that have improved us at CB and LB.  Meanwhile, on the offensive side, we have resigned the same over-the-hill QB we had last year (only a year closer to social security), a backup who will likely never play while Todd Bowles still breathes, and a RB that may be a modest improvement at best.  No help for the OL, WR or TE positions.  Yep...sounds about right for this regime.

Chill TF out. It's not even officially the start of FA. Ton's of time left. I like what they did today. Great start. Look at the Giants. lol

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He just turn 26 four days ago and will replace Davis at ILB. Graded out as the 10th rated LB at 85.6, two spots behind Davis's (29 years old) 87.3 rating.

Those same guys graded Trumaine Johnson as the 68th rated CB last year.

So are their grades worthless, or - as I suspect ;) - are their grades only valued when we like what they infer?

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Those same guys graded T.Johnson as the 68th rated CB last year.

So are their grades worthless, or - as I suspect ;) - are their grades only valued when we like what they infer?

EXACTLY !!!

3 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Chill TF out. It's not even officially the start of FA. Ton's of time left. I like what they did today. Great start. Look at the Giants. lol

Don't get me wrong.  I like what they DID.  But I do not like what they DIDN'T do even more.  Our OL is a problem.  We really don't have a #1 RB or a #1 WR.  And of course we have nothing going on at the QB position other than Todd's security blanket 'hold-the-fort' guy and a guy in Bridgewater who could turn out to be a nice player or trade piece next year, but far from a sure thing.  What we DIDN'T do is land any FAs to help make the offense better either now, or in a year or maybe less when the (hopefully) rookie takes over.  

At bare minimum, we need a new Center.  Richburg got away so that leaves one guy - Jensen.  And we've heard nothing about that.  If Jensen gets away too, I have no idea what will happen next but it won't be pretty, and will probably overwhelm any positives we hope to gain in the draft unless we burn a 2nd round pick on a Center and hope we get one that can start week 1.  It's a serious concern and until I see that addressed, I'm not expecting 2018 NY Jets football to be a watchable product.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They're not everything just one source's opinion. It doesn't measure talent but more so production. As it goes for Trumaine, he was unproductive after his leg injury. He was also useless in off coverage. 

11 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

They're not everything just one source's opinion. It doesn't measure talent but more so production. As it goes for Trumaine, he was unproductive after his leg injury. He was also useless in off coverage. 

I’m having fun with you. But among those happy with the TJ signing, the citing of PFF ratings was conspicuously absent.

7 hours ago, cant wait said:

great run stopper, not great in coverage. PFF had him ranked as the 10th best LB last season

Texted a friend of mine that is a Titans fan.

And this is exactly what he said.

Great against the run.

And very poor in coverage, he normally never plays on third downs.

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Do you think PFF grades can infer? Is that what you're implying? 

7 hours ago, nycdan said:

Don't get me wrong.  I like what they DID.  But I do not like what they DIDN'T do even more.  Our OL is a problem.  We really don't have a #1 RB or a #1 WR.  And of course we have nothing going on at the QB position other than Todd's security blanket 'hold-the-fort' guy and a guy in Bridgewater who could turn out to be a nice player or trade piece next year, but far from a sure thing.  What we DIDN'T do is land any FAs to help make the offense better either now, or in a year or maybe less when the (hopefully) rookie takes over.  

At bare minimum, we need a new Center.  Richburg got away so that leaves one guy - Jensen.  And we've heard nothing about that.  If Jensen gets away too, I have no idea what will happen next but it won't be pretty, and will probably overwhelm any positives we hope to gain in the draft unless we burn a 2nd round pick on a Center and hope we get one that can start week 1.  It's a serious concern and until I see that addressed, I'm not expecting 2018 NY Jets football to be a watchable product.

I know and I agree the O line leaves a LOT to be desired. But all we heard about was Richberg. and Cousins in FA. We heard, as far as I know, NOTHING about Trumaine Johnson, Crowell (who will be the #1 RB) or Williamson yet we grabbed them all.  Hopefully something is in the works with Jensen.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Deep class for running backs so let’s sign free agents instead. It never ever changes. 

Which is kind of ironic since matt forte's draft was incredibly deep with pro bowl rb talent (jonathan stewart, chris johnson, ray rice, forte, justin forsett)  and we obviously chose to pass on all of them. 

though honestly, i think a well run team still picks the value rb in round 2 and figures out what to do with powell. 

For a supposed run first team, we sure love to not invest in OL and upper tier RB talent. 

Archived