Cardinal release Honey Badger Tyrann Mathieu - MERGED

LAD_Brooklyn

I'm not against honey badger but shouldn't a defensive genius HC allow you to focus your resources on the offense, since the genius should be able to create something more than the sum of its parts? What's the point of hiring a defensive-minded HC if you have to load him with resources to have an below-average defense?

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Then don’t take a RB in the 2nd. JMO. Go pass rusher and C/G. Jets also have Jeremy Langford on roster. He could be a rotational 3rd down type if needed. 

The fact that there are so many different combinations of players and positions they can go with is a good thing.  Having a very solid offseason is going to allow us to be flexible in the draft.  If at the end of the day we end up with Arden Key and Billy Price in the 2nd round it's hard to be mad about that.  Or if we end up with Landry and Hernandez or Landry and Wynn.  We still end up with immediate starters.

8 hours ago, Mecca said:

PLEASE MACC. PLEASE!!!!

The Honey Badger gives us an instant identity. New Jack City with the LSU boys would be so exciting. A bunch of chess pieces. We don't have a top 30 player in the NFL. Honey Badger immediately is our best player and creates a strength.

Again always been a big fan of the guy

but he hasn’t been elite since 2015

2 acl surgeries in 5 years will do that to you.

he was an explosive player who could give you huge splash plays. Those days are over, he will still be steady.  But there’s a reason why nobody in Arizona is upset over this

6 minutes ago, prime21 said:

3 things need to happen.

Sign Honey Badger

Draft Mayfield

Receive highest ratings ever for appearing on Hard Knocks

You can sign Honey Badger, sign a solid WR, Sign a solid TE and, if you have to, trade away your entire draft to get your QB and still have a very good, very young team.  

Mac's done a nice job - now it's time to close it out.  Get all of the above done and even the most cynical fans on this board would have a hard time saying it wasn't a solid off season.

9 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

I agree.  Definitely QB/Edge/OL.  Now with Beachum-Carpenter-Long-Winters-Shell plugged in as our current starters where do you look to improve?  Guard or Tackle?  I'm okay with Shells and Beachum as our starters.  I'd love to upgrade the RG position with someone nasty.  Ideally I would want Nelson but that would mean no QB unless it's Jackson in a trade-up.  There are some good G's to be had in the 2nd round ala Hernandez, Wynn, Smith..

I'm thinking G also. Hate to say it but I like Smith too even tho he played at Auburn.  I look at Wynn as more of a tackle but we could easily move him inside then to RT in a few years depending on how Shell progresses.

Cimini from bleacher report....

Safety

Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Terrence Brooks, Rontez Miles

What's next? No work needed here. They re-signed Brooks and made a tender offer to Miles, so their depth is intact. What about the possibility of Tyrann Mathieu, aka the Honey Badger? Keep dreaming. It's not happening, not after the Jets drafted two safeties last year.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Just found out they resigned Claiborne. So our secondary is virtually complete. If you want to swap Mathieu for Skrine, this would be an elite secondary

Agree

The secondary is not complete Skrine is a liability and a waste of money. Wasn't he the top penalized DB in the NFL last season. 

Cut Skrine sign Mathieu and you not only instantly improve the secondary you improve the entire defense. 

Mathieu can be used as a hybrid DB/LB edge rusher like non other along with Adams. 

15 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I mean WTF. I don’t even think he’s met with anyone yet? 

Reports yesterday was he was scheduling visits.  The Jets were supposedly on that list.  He can fly from Arizona to NY in a day - not a particularly long flght.

Jets don't let him leave without a signed contract - happens all the time.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Reports yesterday was he was scheduling visits.  The Jets were supposedly on that list.  He can fly from Arizona to NY in a day - not a particularly long flght.

Jets don't let him leave without a signed contract - happens all the time.

And make sure you follow him around and don't let him go over to the blue side of the stadium and their Lombardi trophies.

Like I posted already, if the Jets get the Honey Badger it will be the very FIRST playmaker this team has. No one's coming up with any answers to my question. So I assume the answer is NO. The jets do not have any playmakers on offense, defense, or ST. Until they start getting some stand out players they'll never win a SB or hell even make the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, Jetscreen said:

Like I posted already, if the Jets get the Honey Badger it will be the very FIRST playmaker this team has. No one's coming up with any answers to my question. So I assume the answer is NO. The jets do not have any playmakers on offense, defense, or ST. Until they start getting some stand out players they'll never win a SB or hell even make the playoffs.

It would be like getting stud/headhunter/difference maker Troy Polamalu in his prime w/young good talent surrounding him.

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

No one cares to ask why AZ is releasing this guy? Maybe it’s the two ACLs? Conesus on AZ forums is that he isn’t the same guy after the injuries 

no, I live here and see it on the news, read it online and hear it on the radio. They still want him but not at the price he wants. 

Does anyone know which position he prefers to play? Thought I read somewhere he was more comfortable playing one over the other. 

Either way, even though we have safeties covered, he's a great blitzer and you know Bowles love blitzing DB's....just makes too much sense. I don't think having Brooks and Miles should really stop them from pursuing a guy like Mathieu.

Archived