Podcast : Dan Orlovsky interviewed on the Top Five QB Prospects

Gangrene

I'm not a fan of Peter King's folksy righteousness style  but Dan Orlovsky being interviewed by King on the top 5 qb prospects is worth a listen.

Orlovsky is informed as an ex-NFL player turned fan who has his own podcast; rates the qb's and breaths some fresh air into the stale debate...

Start listening at the 38 minute mark ... unless you want to hear Les Snead of the Rams being interviewed...

https://dfkfj8j276wwv.cloudfront.net/episodes/57ff7f93-1714-4ba6-a485-7d9761fb9b6c/ce6d056e00b3d022ca8ad0b0c6abacfebc455927501bfca2307eeb90dd241c07fb09434ecac27e98e27df0e31ebac4eab9170139033a98dc0cde69727b3f0070/2018 04 04 MMQB with Peter King.mp3

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

I'm not a fan of Peter King's folksy righteousness style  but Dan Orlovsky being interviewed by King on the top 5 qb prospects is worth a listen.

Orlovsky is informed as an ex-NFL player turned fan who has his own podcast; rates the qb's and breaths some fresh air into the stale debate...

Start listening at the 38 minute mark ... unless you want to hear Les Snead of the Rams being interviewed...

https://dfkfj8j276wwv.cloudfront.net/episodes/57ff7f93-1714-4ba6-a485-7d9761fb9b6c/ce6d056e00b3d022ca8ad0b0c6abacfebc455927501bfca2307eeb90dd241c07fb09434ecac27e98e27df0e31ebac4eab9170139033a98dc0cde69727b3f0070/2018 04 04 MMQB with Peter King.mp3

Also, UCONN represent!

Pretty good interview. Too bad when I think of Orlovsky I only remember the "running out of the end zone" and also always asking myself, whoa this guys still in the league?

he makes good points and for all of the Josh Allen fans, that think what a lot of us say about Allen and his deer in headlights play as being a concern. Start listening at the 1hour 7 min mark, this is the Allen breakdown.

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah as some of us have said, we trade up to #3 in a Two QB draft.  :(

Yup.   The one glimmer of hope here is that Mac had info on what Browns or Giants will be doing at 1 or 2.  Otherwise it was just freaking dumb.  Or maybe he just sees it as a 3 or 4 QB draft which many of us don't see.  

48 minutes ago, Stark said:

Pretty good interview. Too bad when I think of Orlovsky I only remember the "running out of the end zone" and also always asking myself, whoa this guys still in the league?

he makes good points and for all of the Josh Allen fans, that think what a lot of us say about Allen and his deer in headlights play as being a concern. Start listening at the 1hour 7 min mark, this is the Allen breakdown.

don't usually quote myself but man. The points on he makes on Allen, accuracy, and system/Wentz comparisons is damn spot on.

Also his comments on the coaches in the league after the Allen stuff is good. 

Orlovsky kind of surprised the sh!t out of me here, and seems to share a lot of the same thoughts as me and a lot of posters here.

50 minutes ago, Stark said:

don't usually quote myself but man. The points on he makes on Allen, accuracy, and system/Wentz comparisons is damn spot on.

Orlovsky kind of surprised the sh!t out of me here, and seems to share a lot of the same thoughts as me and a lot of posters here.

Surprised me too, he really articulates his concerns well.

His passion for the game and the art of qb'ing is evident.

We all know about these qbs.  These experts and milking this to death.

Darnold - a tad above average at everything but sloppy w/ the ball.

Rosen - most talented qb but fragile and entitled

Mayfield - great player but size and maturity a concern

Josh allen - Has elite skills at everything you could possibly want in a qb except in a real game, he stinks.

We seriously have to keep talking about this for another 3 weeks?

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Josh allen - Has elite skills at everything you could possibly want in a qb except in a real game, he stinks.

actually he didn't really say any of that, you obviously listened. well the allen stuff is kind of close

lol, you know it.. 24 more days

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Like Benigno says, hopefully the Jets don't get the guy they are targeting, because they are sure to screw it up...

Football questions for $400, Alex......

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I wonder what advice Orlovsky would give a young QB when backed up inside his own 5?

giphy.gif

what is,... run like hell from Jared Allen?!?

59 minutes ago, Stark said:

I thought Orlovsky came across as a jaded QB who thinks he was smart enough to overcome his lack of physical abilities, he talked about all the QB’s having accomplishments because of what they have from the neck up, and then finishes his absolute trashing of Allen with the talk about how there are only a few offensive coaches who can get the best out of the QB’s who are smart enough, and sounded like a jealous bitch who never got a fair shake with one of those coaches while guys who are much more physically gifted get multiple opportunities even thou they suck.

He is correct about everything he said about Allen, but he conveniently left out the part that like Newton he can get away with staring down a WR, and throw it when he comes open because of how crazy big his arm strength is.

Though I just bashed him for his jealousy, a lot of what he said holds water especially about the top 2 QB’s being head, and shoulders above the rest.

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I thought Orlovsky came across as a jaded QB who thinks he was smart enough to overcome his lack of physical abilities, he talked about all the QB’s having accomplishments because of what they have from the neck up, and then finishes his absolute trashing of Allen with the talk about how there are only a few offensive coaches who can get the best out of the QB’s who are smart enough, and sounded like a jealous bitch who never got a fair shake with one of those coaches while guys who are much more physically gifted get multiple opportunities even thou they suck.

He is correct about everything he said about Allen, but he conveniently left out the part that like Newton he can get away with staring down a WR, and throw it when he comes open because of how crazy big his arm strength is.

Though I just bashed him for his jealousy, a lot of what he said holds water especially about the top 2 QB’s being head, and shoulders above the rest.

so then you agree with what I said, you just feel like Dan is showing out with this interview. Which, I guess you could take it that way, I mean if you are a D level QB but think you have good ideas and no one wants to listen because you can't execute basic concepts in a game, I could see where in this moment you want to show out. I also didn't think he trashed allen, points out that he tends to get lost in the game, relates and compares to Wentz and didn't really sound like trashing him, just stating his concerns which are legit

I didn't take it that way, maybe I would now that you said that. 

22 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is pretty much spot on, but:

• I am not worried about Mayfield's maturity.  In football, he has been very mature and responsible.  With Mayfield, I am worried about his size and a lack of elite athleticism (like Wilson has) to make up for lack of size.  Hopefully Mac has figured out how Mayfield compares athletically to other QBs.
  • Rosen's maturity, commitment and fragility concern me.   I think the fragility is the worst of it.  He will get hit by big, mean guys in the NFL.  

32 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

what were his concerns about allen?

It is not the accuracy issues that worry him about Allen, he likes his ball placement. "If you watch the tape and you know the QB position Allen has no process (regarding  the pre and post snap process). The ball gets snapped and he is surprised that the defense can move. What were you thinking ? What was going on?" . He thinks Allen looks confused every time the ball is snapped.  According to Orlovsky "That stuff is not fixable".  He also says he stares at his receivers too much...a bad habit. Bad eyes lead to bad quarterback play at the NFL level says Orlovsky.. Really hard to change, years and years of bad habits. There is a disconnect between getting the play and reacting to the defense. He does not have a plan to execute the the play. "To not be able to adjust to a will linebacker blitzing is alarming...high school kids can do that" If one linebacker coming from a static position in a defense coming at him is a problem for him, he can't do the little things, the pre and post snap process. We are in the golden era of the quarterback brain, quarterbacks are expected to do a lot in today's game"

1 hour ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Save me the trouble of listening...

What does he say about the QB the Jets are taking (Mayfield)?

He points out that there is so much manufactured offense on his game tape that will not be available in the NFL. He is really impressed with Mayfield's deep ball accuracy on tape. He loves his creativity. He thinks Mayfield is a better pocket passer than he is given credit for. However Orlovsky believes Mayfield needs to be in a spread offense. He loves that Mayfield has the courage to play but the fact that his moxie is his strongest suit...is it enough? he asks. He needs the right scheme and talent around him. Mayfield is his number four in his ranking after Lamar Jackson but very similarly rated.

Lamar Jackson, he loves, but like we all say... "he is going to get hurt". He continues, like Mayfield, Jackson needs a very specific offense and the back up needs to be suited to the same offense. "I love his talent".

I am guessing that he is thinking a Kaepernick type as a backup to Jackson.

If Lamar Jackson goes to New England, maybe Johnny Manziel as back up ?

3 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Good listen. Thanks. Interesting he picks Darnold as the best QB because he can throw accurately when his feet aren't perfect. Go back to the Aaron Rodgers / Rosen video and Rodgers mentions that to Rosen...Anytime he does drill work, he should do something difficult. "If I can't throw a ball in a perfect environment on the money every time I can't play..Everybody can do that...Alot of my throws I'm running full speed to avoid a 4.6 pass rusher..." 

49 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes We are entering what I call the tear down phase where all we will hear is negative comments and reports about almost EVERY prospect. It's tradition.

Yup 3 weeks and 1 day left......enjoy :cheers:

30 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Closer the draft gets. The more trade to 3 = looks like panic move after missing Cousins.

I am surprised that more people haven't realized this yet.  You don't give away that much draft stock and not get the guy YOU want.  In this draft, that has to be Darnold + Rosen.  Allen/Mayfield each have their own appeal, but I think they are a notch below, with more NFL bust potential.  Pick 3 may very well be a consolation prize.  Of course that would be all wrong if Mac knows something about Cleveland and/or Giants picks that we don't know.  I doubt that.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah as some of us have said, we trade up to #3 in a Two QB draft.  :(

Meh, even if this is only a 2 QB draft (pure guesswork, of course), no one really knows who the two guys are. The best QB of this draft could easily be the last guy taken, for all we know. 

15 minutes ago, Dcat said:

In this draft, that has to be Darnold + Rosen.

Again, NO . . . It doesn't have to be anything of the sort. You can pretend that you know Darnold and Rosen are far and away the best 2 QBs available . . . but just be sure to remember that you pretending

Plenty of NFL guys would disagree with your assessment. There is at least a 50-50 chance that Allen gets taken before one of those guys (most likely Rosen, of course). 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Closer the draft gets. The more trade to 3 = looks like panic move after missing Cousins.

Really? @Beerfish get in here too. 

You guys got cut this 2-QB draft & Macc's an idiot stuff out. It is what it is, and they're here for the next year. There's only so much whining i can take.

There's no such thing as 2-QB draft. Last year was a no-QB draft and look how that sh*t turned out.

Is there an Andrew Luck? No, maybe not -- but then that guy hasn't done much that Sanchez didn't do, and he's been fcking hurt for 3 years. People talk about Rosen being brittle..

We traded up as high as we could.. not only to ensure we get the guy(s) we like, but also cause other a$$hole teams like BUF were to leapfrog us. LEAPFROG US... SAY IT OUT LOUD. Cause i swear to fck you guys seem to magically forget that getting ahead of NYJ & DEN is going to be every team's agenda if they want a QB

Get over it and move on. Even if we end up with Baker (we should be so lucky) its still 1000000000000000000 times better than last year AND there is a possibility he's the one. He's not christian ponder. He's a winner. Sometimes thats' enough. 

4 hours ago, Gangrene said:

I've never heard it described this way but that is hilarious (and spot-on!)

1 hour ago, varjet said:

This is pretty much spot on, but:

• I am not worried about Mayfield's maturity.  In football, he has been very mature and responsible.  With Mayfield, I am worried about his size and a lack of elite athleticism (like Wilson has) to make up for lack of size.  Hopefully Mac has figured out how Mayfield compares athletically to other QBs.
  • Rosen's maturity, commitment and fragility concern me.   I think the fragility is the worst of it.  He will get hit by big, mean guys in the NFL.  

what have his injuries been? I know reportedly 2 concussions and a shoulder procedure to allow the injury to heal on it's own. Which didn't show any affects this past season. any others?

Doesn't Mayfield have the same number of concussions?

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

I am surprised that more people haven't realized this yet.  You don't give away that much draft stock and not get the guy YOU want.  In this draft, that has to be Darnold + Rosen.  Allen/Mayfield each have their own appeal, but I think they are a notch below, with more NFL bust potential.  Pick 3 may very well be a consolation prize.  Of course that would be all wrong if Mac knows something about Cleveland and/or Giants picks that we don't know.  I doubt that.

The Jets traded for Mayfield. It is obvious. They DID NOT trade for Darnold and Rosen. They are picking Mayfield. Period. Get used to it.

Archived