Bridgewater & 6th Rounder traded to Saints for a 3rd Rounder

JetsFanatic

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

No one is a bigger critic of Macc than me and even I think he got a good deal for Teddy 

I’m in the same boat. Making that extra roster spot that we need, no QB controversy(although I didn’t expect one just the media being jerks), getting value NOW to help fine Oline/pass rusher help and not blowing our chance when it’s not worth it to a team or too late in the year.

We were absolutely not getting a Comp pick but the Saints probably will if he leaves so it’s a good deal for both sides. 

19 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

This team isn’t ready to win yet. Wasting a high pick on a PR when there’s so many other needs is ******* stupid. 

Agree to a point.  This is getting OT for the thread, but they have a lot of depth issues that will only be helped with another draft and FA cycle. They have a serious talent issue at OL and an even bigger one with Edge Rusher. I'm not in favor of 2 1's...but if you can solve edge for the foreseeable future with a 1/3 in 19 and a 3rd in 20 lets say and FINALLY have a shot at generating an organic pass rush without exotic looks and schemes, I would personally say go for it. I readily recognize the risk though...it's a tough call.

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

This team isn’t ready to win yet. Wasting a high pick on a PR when there’s so many other needs is ******* stupid. 

Spending a 1st rd pick on a pass rusher is fine, pending one on a 28 year old PR is just stupid.  As you said this team isn't ready to win now - and having a pass rusher in his prime for 2 years isn't going to change that - 

If this were two years from now - going into Darnlod's 3rd year...then I would say give up whatever it takes to get him - just not now.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Spending a 1st rd pick on a pass rusher is fine, pending one on a 28 year old PR is just stupid.  As you said this team isn't ready to win now - and having a pass rusher in his prime for 2 years isn't going to change that - 

If this were two years from now - going into Darnlod's 3rd year...then I would say give up whatever it takes to get him - just not now.

Good pass rushers like Mack play a long like Michael Strahsn and James Harrison 

7 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

We traded Richardson in the last yr of his contract for a 2 and a wr but it’s all about supply and demand, team needs and trade fits.  Everybody knew Teddy was for sale.  If there was a better deal for us , no one was keeping it a secret

I kinda agree but Mack was not going to be had for TB and 1st rounder. If we went by the equivalent in draft picks do you think that Mack could be had for a 1st and a late 3rd? I really don't think Gruden and the Raiders would accept that. They want 2 1st rounders for him and for a team that is a Super Bowl contender that may not be that steep of a price. For a team with a rookie QB with the holes this one has I just think its too steep of a price.

I would try to get some protection for Sam first. Then work on the pass-rusher issue.  If we improve the Oline two things organically happen one the QB is protected but the Offense should be longer on the field protecting the defenses lack of a pass-rush because they will spend less time on the field. granted they may see more pass attempts but the defensive players should be fresher.

I am not against a 1st and third to get almost any player. But that player needs to be able to change the game on his own and add wins. The question is for Mack how many wins does he add and does the cost equal the value of the picks and the salary needed to retain him. 

I think this is a waiting game with the raiders they have his rights but the longer he sits the the lower the costs will be.

7 hours ago, BigO said:

TB and our 6th for their LATE 3rd (since Saints will finish top 10 in NFL) actually translates into an early 4th. So much for getting a 2nd for TB. 

this is wrong per the traditional draft chart value.

Assume Saints finish #8 in the NFL.  Their 3rd round pick would be #89 with a value of 145 points.

Assume the Jets finish 24th in the NFL.  The Jets 6th round pick would be #182 (factoring in about 14 comp picks in the aggregate in rounds 3, 4 & 5).  That has a draft value of 18 points.  The difference is 127 points , which on the draft chart has a comparable value of pick #93 (29th pick of 3rd round.)

Depending on where both the Jets and Saints wind up, the value will be mid to late 3rd rounder, especially when you factor in about 14+ comp picks in rounds 3,4 and 5.  

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

47 minutes ago, Lith said:

I would have liked to see us get more for Bridgewater, but cannot complain about a 3.  Yes, we probably could have held onto him into the season up to the deadline to see if a contender loses a starter, but that strategy is not without its own risk.  Teddy has missed two years due to a major knee injury.  So far, he has not played more than a half of football and taken a handful of hits.  Nobody, not Macc, not the Saints, nobody knows how the knee will hold up over the long haul.  Any kind of setback would have destroyed his trade value.  We took a 3 now for the cost of Teddy and a 6.  It may be below market for a 25 year-old back-up with starter potential, but it is an asset in hand.  Making the deal now also frees up a roster spot which has some, albeit limtied, value.

I would have preferred to wait to see if we could get more, but a day 2 pick is a valuable asset.  Lets just hope Macc makes good use of it.

Always ruining my morning coffee.

29 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

PR is THE Need

It’s a need but Mack isn’t getting this team to a SB. LT and Reggie White couldn’t get this team to a SB. It’s a waste of a draft pick unless it helps the team get to a SB. Let Buffalo waste two first for another defensive player and get Allen killed for the next five years. 

Last years SB teams season sack leaders on each team Philly tied 19th and NE not in the top 30. 

13 hours ago, Dunnie said:

If Teddy B lights it up in NO and Darnold somehow flops ... Us not extending Bridgewater's contract for something like 12 mil a year for 3 years will definitely define this trade as a failure.

Complete nonsense.  We drafted Sam Darnold to be our franchise QB.  He's our ride or die. 

Teddy Bridgewater was signed off the scrap heap for $1 million, and we netted an upgrade from a 6th to a 3rd for it. 

Even if Darnold flops and Teddy succeeds, this was the right move.  We put all our chips to the center on a rookie QB the moment we moved up from 6 to 3. 

Teddy was never going to be content signing on as a backup behind a young QB.  He's in a good spot as the heir apparent to Brees.  This was a good deal for all parties involved, regardless of the end result. 

I'm not getting the static over this trade.  Bridgewater had a potentially career ending knee injury and hasn't played in two years, but based on a good minicamp performance and a few decent preseason games, our GM was able to get a 3rd round pick for him.  In what universe is this a bad thing in any way, shape, or form?  I think many Jets fans (myself included most of the time) are just so jaded that we've been programmed to complain about everything Jets reated.  Our much maligned (and rightly so) GM made a very shrewd move here, which happens to open the door wide open for our young stud QB to start, something us Jets fans lifers have been dreaming and waiting for for a very long time.  

Give Mac a round of applause and move on.

8 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Two things.  

A third minus a 6 th don’t equal a fourth.   If it you’re going to argue it does , show me the trades of a a mid 3 rd rder for a 4 th and a 6 th

Yes it does/can. Why mid 3rd rounder? Saints picked 27th last year and there’s no reason to believe they’ll pick any higher. See the attached pic for your viewing pleasure. 

we wouldn’t have gotten any draft pick for him next year after our free agent spending spree, any pick we did get wouldn’t be for 2019 but 2020

Compare apples to apples

Yes, we will be doing some spending spree but don’t forget we too have many guys leaving in FA unless we resign them, in which case it doesn’t become part of the equation. And yes, the comp pick would be for 2020, but we also get to use our player for a year. 

22F706F4-080E-4F97-B7C8-A474720A3B5F.jpeg

18 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

It’s a need but Mack isn’t getting this team to a SB. LT and Reggie White couldn’t get this team to a SB. It’s a waste of a draft pick unless it helps the team get to a SB. Let Buffalo waste two first for another defensive player and get Allen killed for the next five years. 

Last years SB teams season sack leaders on each team Philly tied 19th and NE not in the top 30. 

The Giants won a Super Bowl in 2011 beating Tom Brady and they had an offensive line that was even worse than what we have now.  Pass Rush is everything in today’s NFL.  Besides we have enough cap room to plug the other holes

how long until “the true rebuild” is over?  Another 20 years?

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

That’s true but their other low draft picks they earned the hard way.    They also have to battle Atlanta and Carolina for the division title which won’t be easy

They have a very good team. Real good OL, RB, Brees and have really upgraded their D over the past couple of years..

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m in the same boat. Making that extra roster spot that we need, no QB controversy(although I didn’t expect one just the media being jerks), getting value NOW to help fine Oline/pass rusher help and not blowing our chance when it’s not worth it to a team or too late in the year.

We were absolutely not getting a Comp pick but the Saints probably will if he leaves so it’s a good deal for both sides. 

I think they'll try and resign him and he takes over for Brees after 2019 season, if not before then (Brees retires, injury)....

image.png

16 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You do not hold Wolford in high regard?  Based on what?  Your extensive film study?

As opposed to your extensive film study?

As I said, he is probably gone after tonight,

Doesn't sound like you hold him in very high regard either.

but I can pretty much guarantee that you have not seen him in mini-camp and I'd wager you know little to nothing about him as a prospect.

Then enlighten me, all knowing, all seeing Dominator.  

Yes he probably is another undersized QB that will quickly disappear from the NFL landscape

, but saying it sight unseen would easily have dismissed Kurt Warner and Tony Romo.

Or like 981,239,123 other nobody fifth tier QB's who were not named Romo or Warner and who never amounted to anything.

Kind of silly to blast the front office for keeping the kid when 1. you don't know they are keeping him and 2. you have likely never seen him play. 

Let me be clear:  I want my team to have depth at QB.  Because we've been one of the very worst teams at QB during my lifetime.  I do not want McCown, he is a career loser and far too old.  I do not want Wolwhatever, because he is not considered a good prospect by anyone.  I would like a better QB to back up our supposedly "best in 1,000 years" prospect Darnold.

I don't care if you don't like it that I hold this opinion.  

28 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I think they'll try and resign him and he takes over for Brees after 2019 season, if not before then (Brees retires, injury)....

image.png

I don't think you can cross off that $10.5M under "signing" for 2020. Pretty sure Brees counts that $10.5M against the cap that year if he's cut. 

That said, the Vikes are in a good position with Bridgewater. They now have him for a full season of evaluation, and will have the inside track to resign him before he hits free agency if they see him as a potential heir apparent. 

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As opposed to your extensive film study?

Then enlighten me, all knowing, all seeing Dominator.  

Or like 981,239,123 other nobody fifth tier QB's who were not named Romo or Warner and who never amounted to anything.

Let me be clear:  I want my team to have depth at QB.  Because we've been one of the very worst teams at QB during my lifetime.  I do not want McCown, he is a career loser and far too old.  I do not want Wolwhatever, because he is not considered a good prospect by anyone.  I would like a better QB to back up our supposedly "best in 1,000 years" prospect Darnold.

Some of the points you have been making in these threads are valid re QB depth.  One thing you do a very poor job of is hiding your disdain for Darnold.  Who was your # 1 Qb in this past years draft?

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Some of the points you have been making in these threads are valid re QB depth.  One thing you do a very poor job of is hiding your disdain for Darnold.  Who was your # 1 Qb in this past years draft?

As someone following parts of this thread, my answer would be probably anybody but the guy we eventually picked.?

12 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't think you can cross off that $10.5M under "signing" for 2020. Pretty sure Brees counts that $10.5M against the cap that year if he's cut. 

That said, the Vikes are in a good position with Bridgewater. They now have him for a full season of evaluation, and will have the inside track to resign him before he hits free agency if they see him as a potential heir apparent. 

that was from spotrac. I should have included the notes

image.png

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

The Giants won a Super Bowl in 2011 beating Tom Brady and they had an offensive line that was even worse than what we have now.  Pass Rush is everything in today’s NFL.  Besides we have enough cap room to plug the other holes

how long until “the true rebuild” is over?  Another 20 years?

They had a much better team and didn’t have a rookie QB. They were also lucky as ****. 

Its a stupid ******* trade for this team to make.

Next?

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

QB depth is far more important for teams legitimately contending for a championship than it is for a team maybe contending for 8-8. You have a lot of disdain for McCown as "a loser," but the guy's just been passed around a lot of losing teams. Statistically last year he put up a good season, better than -say- Teddy Bridgewater ever has. He's a solid backup for Darnold and a guy who's more than capable of stepping in for a few starts if necessary. For the Jets purposes this year, that's fine. 

Next year, they can pursue free agent backups. Keeping in mind, of course, that it's always a thin market. They could go after guys like Trevor Siemian or Landry Jones, but I think that McCown will remain a likely candidate to return.  

8 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

They had a much better team and didn’t have a rookie QB. They were also lucky as ****. 

Its a stupid ******* trade for this team to make.

Next?

Hey, you never know. Darnold's play can push this team to a wildcard spot. Good rookie QB seasons have pushed so so teams into the playoffs right off the bat. And having a guy like Mack in the playoffs would be quite helpful. 

Archived