Bridgewater & 6th Rounder traded to Saints for a 3rd Rounder

JetsFanatic

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

You're upset at giving up a 6th round pick? While getting a 3rd back? For a guy we picked up off the street? 

In all honesty: I thought a solid TBW for a 2nd round pick was the going rate...that's what I wanted.  This is not that.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jetster said:

I wanted at least a 2nd but unfortunately for us no starters were injured (we came close with Foles shoulder) & teams weren't breaking the doors down as their was just a few places where he was needed. 

Still great to have 2 third rounders in 2019. Macc could package them for a player that drops in the 2nd round they like, or they could find 2 olineman in the 3rd (seems to be a sweet spot for centers, developmental we can play at guard to replace Long).  

he's not moving up, he'll do his usual BAP thing.

5 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I was pumped until I saw they sent a 6th to NO, makes no sense...now I am 50/50 on the compensation...seems like not enough.

We got a 3rd!!  Sucks to throw in a 6th but a 3rd has significant value.

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

We'll have like 100M in cap space, we could hold that as long as it took to trade him.  I don't see why it'd be an issue.

Because I do not believe that a single team will want him at $28M.  Other QBs will be FAs in 2019 - Tyrod Taylor and Flacco are likely and both probably at or close to Bridgewater's value.  If he doesn't get hurt. 

the thing is, bridgewater is still seen as a big injury risk.  the fact that he's made it thru a tc and took a few hits in preseason games isn't going to offset the risk here.  
Not to mention he was away from football for what two full years? I think we could have gotten more but at the end of the day we traded a 6th for a 3rd and got rid of a player who as much as we liked him was potentially detrimental to darnolds development. Could you imagine the pressure after Darnold has his first bad game from people screaming that Bridgewater should start

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

28 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Well Mac vastly overpaid when he traded up from 6 to 3. The trade chart said it should have taken two 2nd rounders not three. Replaced a wasted 2nd rounder for a low third. Not to mention Mauldin, Ardarius, Devin Smith, and Hackenberg say Jets got jack **** with what Mac does with high draft picks that aren't a slam dunk obvious top pick. Wasn't this guy a scout and he drafts worse than Idzik?

No one uses the trade chart at the top of the draft.  You always overpay.  Imagine what it would have cost if Darnold were actually on the board on draft day.

Holy crap, I can't believe there are people here who put me in the position to defend mac.

I'm not a Mac fan but I have to give credit where credit is due.  This was great work by him.  No QB controversy, no risk of Bridgwater diminishing his value, and Darnold gets anointed as the clear cut starter which he's earned.  Wins all around for the Jets.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Because I do not believe that a single team will want him at $28M.  Other QBs will be FAs in 2019 - Tyrod Taylor and Flacco are likely and both probably at or close to Bridgewater's value.  If he doesn't get hurt. 

Obviously, the trade happens w/ a new deal put into place.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Not terrible. It’ll be a late three, but it’ll do. Could have possibly extracted more from a team whose QB will go down between now and week three, but whatever. I’m curious to see what Todd does with the empty roster spot. 

Does Kacy Rodgers have any more children we can add?  

1 minute ago, southtown24th said:

In all honesty: I thought a solid TBW for a 2nd round pick was the going rate...that's what I wanted.  This is not that.

It's also basically a small insurance the Saints get SOMETHING in return in the end, in the event Bridgewater doesn't even resign with them. Which I doubt. I would think he tests free agency still. 

Pretty fair deal all around.

1. Best of luck in his ongoing quest to play again to TB.  Since he is in the NFC, I have no reason to root against him unless he plays us.

2. The Jets now are very thin at QB other than Darnold.  We go from being a very strong young team at QB to a team one twisted kid thumb away from losing every single game the rest of the year.  Lets all hope Darnold is made of literal steel, and stays healthy throughout the 2018 season.  If he misses time, our 2018 season ends right then and there.

3. Compensation was about what I expected, maybe a little more, a high 4th Round net value.  Likely late 3rd rounder in, likely mid-to-high 6th rounder out.  Nets ~ an upper 4th value.  Not the 2nd or 1st some expected, but at least it's something, and not a 5th or worse.

4. Supposedly Darnold officially named starter, good news now.  I could have stomached TB playing a few "watch and learn kid" games before the shift to Darnold, but not McCown.

5. I hold out hope we cut this JAGy nobody currently at the #3 QB spot, and can hopefully sign another decent younger prospect QB at the least after camp cutdowns.  We'd be fools to go into a season with just a baby QB in Darnold and Josh McCown.  JMO.

6. The Jets last few Third Rounders:  Nathan Shephard, DE, Ft. Hays State, ArDarius Stewart, WR, Bama, Jordan Jenkins, LB, Georgia, Lorenzo Mauldin, LB, Louisville.

7. I wouldn't have made this deal, I'd have kept TB as our #2 this season, and let him walk after that.  I hope time, and the use of this 3rd round pick, proves me wrong.

1 minute ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Wow great deal for the Saints

i think he’s an upgrade over Brees right now, and will definitely be their QB of the future

meh for us 

am surprised Mac gave up a 6, he seems to really cover 6 and 7 rounders

Que?  Did you watch Brees play last season?  Guy is still playing out of his mind at QB.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. Best of luck in his ongoing quest to play again to TB.  Since he is in the NFC, I have no reason to root against him unless he plays us.

2. The Jets now are very thin at QB other than Darnold.  We go from being a very strong young team at QB to a team one twisted kid thumb away from losing every single game the rest of the year.  Lets all hope Darnold is made of literal steel, and stays healthy throughout the 2018 season.  If he misses time, our 2018 season ends right then and there.

3. Compensation was about what I expected, maybe a little more, a high 4th Round net value.  Likely late 3rd rounder in, likely mid-to-high 6th rounder out.  Nets ~ an upper 4th value.  Not the 2nd or 1st some expected, but at least it's something, and not a 5th or worse.

4. Supposedly Darnold officially named starter, good news now.  I could have stomached TB playing a few "watch and learn kid" games before the shift to Darnold, but not McCown.

5. I hold out hope we cut this JAGy nobody currently at the #3 QB spot, and can hopefully sign another decent younger prospect QB at the least after camp cutdowns.  We'd be fools to go into a season with just a baby QB in Darnold and Josh McCown.  JMO.

6. The Jets last few Third Rounders:  Nathan Shephard, DE, Ft. Hays State, ArDarius Stewart, WR, Bama, Jordan Jenkins, LB, Georgia, Lorenzo Mauldin, LB, Louisville.

I'm just fine going with those two guys. Why use another roster spot on a 3rd QB? Use it somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

I think that Todd Bowles is terrified of losing his job and told Maccagnan that he was starting Bridgewater week 1. Maccagnan, not having control over who plays, probably said "lol ok, Todd" and traded Bridgewater. 

Wouldn't surprise me to see McCown week 1.

Got your tin foil hat on while posting this? Ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

I'm just fine going with those two guys. Why use another roster spot on a 3rd QB? Use it somewhere else.

I believe in having a good #2 QB, even if our #1 is seen as the 2nd coming of Christ himself.

Players get hurt.  Players bust too, albeit unlikely with Darnold.

It is never bad having a good #2 QB.  We don't now.  I'd prefer we do. 

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I believe in having a good #2 QB, even if our #1 is seen as the 2nd coming of Christ himself.

Players get hurt.  Players bust too, albeit unlikely with Darnold.

It is never bad having a good #2 QB.  We don't now.  I'd prefer we do. 

McCown is making 10 mill this year .. hate to burst your bubble but he is the clear cut #2 this year ..

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yeah? That's not what you've been posting. You've been pretty consistently talking about a fifth round value. 

Also, if the Saints don't win the Super Bowl and the Jets don't finish the season with the league's worst record, this pick's value won't drop below the third round compensatory pick level. Not thrilled about the 6th rounder, but that's actually something that Mac has demonstrated he can pick back up during the draft if he wants extra late picks. 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How about we want NO to lose for draft position. 

2. The Jets now are very thin at QB other than Darnold.  We go from being a very strong young team at QB to a team one twisted kid thumb away from losing every single game the rest of the year.  Lets all hope Darnold is made of literal steel, and stays healthy throughout the 2018 season.  If he misses time, our 2018 season ends right then and there.

I get you don't like McCown, but the 2017 team was worse than this one and they were 5-7 in games that he played the bulk of.  The idea he is a substandard backup and not a worthy spot starter is ridiculous.

It is almost assuredly 3rd round value.  The absolute worst it can be (Jets worst record/Saints win the Super Bowl) is 99 points. 100 points is pick 100=4th pick in 4th round.  If the Saints pick 25th or worse the value = 3rd round.  Probably even better because comp picks will push 4th and 6th round value down. For the record, the last 5 years the Saints have picked 27, 11, 12, 13 and 20th. 

He is there to run the scout team and play tomorrow.  We don't want starters getting hurt.  He seems a prime practice squad candidate who will get to run scout team and develop, but isn't in danger of getting poached because he is Mayfield sized and was on the street for most of camp.  

2 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

McCown is making 10 mill this year .. hate to burst your bubble but he is the clear cut #2 this year ..

it's easy to forget the sequence of events.  the jets signed bridgewater before they traded to #3 and before the draft.  if you had told mccagnan before the draft that he was getting darnold i don't think he would have signed bridgewater.  

35 minutes ago, Hael said:

Actually just thinking about it a bit more, the deal is a little less sweet than it seems.  Consider that Bridgewater is on the final year of his contract, which means if he leaves NO he would be part of a comp draft package.  So in 2020, if NO doesn't sign him they would likely receive between a late 3rd or a late 4th round pick in comp value depending on the size of his contract.

That means we got the difference between a 2019 late 3rd-early 4th rounder in value and a late 3rd or late 4th in 2020.  That's not insignificant but well it's a little less than one might think.

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun 
      The frumious Bandersnatch!

Macc's 1st 2 draft/off-season were a nightmare.  Not much argument to be had there.

His last 2, in my opinion, have been very encouraging.  Whether that is thanks to Heimindinger or not, I don't know, but I do think things are trending in a positive direction.

12 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

A backup QB is a valuable asset for a team hoping to contend (like the Saints). But for a team not expected to crack .500? Not so much.  

Archived