Bridgewater & 6th Rounder traded to Saints for a 3rd Rounder

JetsFanatic

Well I just came back to a nice surprise. 3rd rd pick is nice compensation and may help us in the trade market if we do go that route. 

I will be rooting for Teddy and think he ended up in a great place. If Brees still plays next year, I hope Teddy doesn’t leave the Saints but they are a cap disaster and I can’t see him staying there unless he knows he is the heir to Brees. 

NICE JOB MAC. 

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is excellent news.  We knew Teddy wouldn't stick around, but still sucks to see him go.  He is a very likable player, and a very easy person to root for on his comeback trail.  But more importantly he seems like a better individual.  I'll be rooting for Teddy every chance I get once its his time to shine, as long as he isn't playing the green and white.

This is one of the few times I don't feel like a trade "robbed a team blind" on either side.  Very fair deal for both sides.  Also the fact he is out of the AFC is even better, because this guy was a stud before he went down, and is slowly getting back to his pre-injury form.

I commend mac on this trade.  Great ammo for the draft next year, or as we look for OL or Pass Rush help.

Lets go!

I think that Todd Bowles is terrified of losing his job and told Maccagnan that he was starting Bridgewater week 1. Maccagnan, not having control over who plays, probably said "lol ok, Todd" and traded Bridgewater. 

Wouldn't surprise me to see McCown week 1.

14 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Macc just bought a 3rd round pick for $500k.

Nice

Cheaper than what Cleveland paid for a second last year (what was it, 16 mil?).  Plus, it gave Sam a chance to learn something from Bridgewater too, not just McCown and his hair.

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

I think that Todd Bowles is terrified of losing his job and told Maccagnan that he was starting Bridgewater week 1. Maccagnan, not having control over who plays, probably said "lol ok, Todd" and traded Bridgewater. 

.@nyjets QB Sam Darnold to start Week 1 vs. Lions: http://on.nfl.com/GuGfzH  (via @RapSheet)

8 minutes ago, Jetlag said:

This was brilliant by both teams.  Someone on reddit wrote this "Yeah, but as the replies are pointing out the Jets have a ton of money so they'll be picking up a fair number of free agents meaning they likely wouldn't get the comp pick. So they trade Bridgewater for a pick they probably wouldn't get, and the Saints traded the pick knowing that they might get a comp pick next year for him if he doesn't stick around."  

So the Saints basically got an excellent backup QB for the 2018 Season and traded back a few spots in the third if they don't end up signing TB long term.

@bostonmajet

@nycdan

WTF. It’s like this all happened because of the earlier conversation. 

22 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Exactly. We're talking about a guy who hasn't played in two years. 

Great pull for Macc. 

He has looked good but, let's face it, he remains a significant injury risk.  Good deal for both teams.  Good for Teddy if Brees retires any time soon.

2 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Bowles just named Darnold the starter, chief.

4 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Dude. Just stop. 

22 minutes ago, BCJet said:

We essentially hedged our QB situation with a good young player, and then took that hedge off for a big profit (3rd round pick for $500K).

Pretty much no way you can rip this move.

Many will. If one thing you can count on with Mac, he knows how to make trades.

I'm one of those who didn't think the Jets needed to trade Teddy this early and should have waited to see if a team had a major injury @ QB.

That being said, I can't knock Macc for this deal and how it played out. Sam is the future and now all assets need to be spent on building around him.

Just now, CTJetsFan said:

I'm one of those who didn't think the Jets needed to trade Teddy this early and should have waited t see if a team had a major injury @ QB.

That being said, I can't knock Macc for this deal and how it played out. Sam is the future and now all assets need to be spent on building around him.

2nd'ed

1 minute ago, Klecko73isGod said:

OK, what would you have gotten, genius GM?

Holdout for more and if a starter is injured you have more leverage, what was the rush. 

Genuis GM?  No just a fan how about you someone who likes to personally attack others for their opinion. 

31 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Flipped a player from the scrap heap into a 3rd round pick. Not bad.

Great landing spot for Teddy.

Yes, $1M for a third rounder ($500K signing bonus + $500k workout bonus). Really an outstanding move. 

30 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Great job by both teams. Being honest btw

No doubt. Saints either get a long-term replacement for Brees, or they get (potentially) a third round comp pick back in 2019 for Brees insurance in what they hope is a championship season. 

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Omar will be crushed.

I'm hoping he heads to a Saints board, starts bad-mouthing Brees, and stays there. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Macc got hosed by the Saints. 

Maccagnan took his profits, and you can't blame a guy for that. He may have sold too soon, but you don't kill a guy for taking money off the table. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

4 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

OK, what would you have gotten, genius GM?

I take that back it was not JoeWilly I am sorry for the confusion

I can see the horrible injury comment but he is way better then you are given him credit for. He is a winning qb in the nfl. If we had him and did not draft Sampeople here would be wanting to sign him to an extension already

Winning qb? He had one playoff appearance and got eliminated the first game a career scrub Keenum took the same team almost to the Super Bowl.  Teddy was basically on his way to becoming an Alex Smith clone before his leg almost fell off

it was philc

2 minutes ago, rammagen said:

well according to JoeWilly Teddy sucks. I am thinking JoeWilly is bipolar

Show me proof where I ever said Teddy Bridgewater sucks. 

Put up or shut up. 

Me saying he's worth more than a 3rd should be a clue to you obviously not. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Holdout for more and if a starter is injured you have more leverage, what was the rush. 

Genuis GM?  No just a fan how about you someone who likes to personally attack others for their opinion. 

If you took that as a personal attack you need to toughen up. 

There is a very specific and simple reason you trade him before the season. You don't want him on the bench for fans to clamor for if Darnold struggles. 

The Jets just made it clear they are in full on develop Darnold mode for 2018.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

I agree it’s not “Genius” but it’s at least acceptable for trading him early considering he’s only a 1 year rental wherever he goes. 

Earlier on I was speculating that they may move him early if roster spots are truly and issue and if we keep 5 safeties or go deep at RB/TE, that final spot will become a problem. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The rush is

1. Wasting a roster spot on someone we know how 0 future here.

2. If Darnold struggles, the last thing we need is guys like you calling for Bridgewater. 

3. If you wait and nobody gets hurt that is a legit contender and you risk the 3rd rounder. 

1 minute ago, Klecko73isGod said:

If you took that as a personal attack you need to toughen up. 

There is a very specific and simple reason you trade him before the season. You don't want him on the bench for fans to clamor for if Darnold struggles. 

The Jets just made it clear they are in full on develop Darnold mode for 2018.

Great news Sam Darnold all the way he is the franchise QB.

Archived