The Jets job will be an envious job for coaching candidates

Rhg1084

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I would have been shocked if Johnson looked great. Too many things to overlook a mere coincidence. His own team wouldn’t pony up on an extension unless it was below market, and instead kept him year-to-year until the number got unmanageable. He never played behind a DL that got so little pressure without blitzing. His "rating" write-ups were only favorable for specific scenarios rather than overall play. 

Anyone expecting him to come to the Jets, on a large contract with crazy up-front dollars, behind a line that needed to shift a safety from coverage help into a blitzer to get any QB pressure, to a team no other premiere FA talked to other than to use us to up his dollars elsewhere, is a fool. And Mike Maccagnan is that fool.

I remember the Jags. game earlier this year. Jeff Fisher was the color commentator and was his old coach. Johnson had just gotten torched for a long TD pass, and Fisher made a comment that "Trumaine just got lazy there." Sounded like he could have gone on, but stopped himself. Definitely didn't seem surprised that it happened. I remember at the time that it was a pretty interesting comment, and filed it away.  Johnson is as big a bust as Gholston......the Ghost never helped us, but he didn't hurt us either. This guy kills us every game.

I love this team and will follow it until whatever end but guys come on, do you really think this is an attractive situation? A team with a 100 mil in cap space but virtually no one under contract. A team with a promising young QB who has no skill players and the OL is a mess. A team with an OVERRATED and mediocre defense that doesn't have a killer instinct.

Whomever they hire will have their work cut out for them. That's why its so important to get it right. How much has Macc gotten right? How can he be trusted with a major decision like that? No its time to part ways and start using some common sense.

44 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

Leon Hess was a good man who knew how to run a business and put the faith of the franchise in the hands of Parcells. Woody is a trust fund unaccomplished socialite who prefers headlines over Success and wants his hands in everything. 

Leon Hess oversaw the generation of of garbage that led to needing the Parcells name to take them out of joke status. A fired HC after getting the team within a game of the SB because he was drunk on a plane after getting cheated (a game famous for necessitating a league rule, with Hess impotently letting it happen without a fuss), and seeing him replaced with 6 years of watching Joe Walton pick his nose and bringing the Jets back to joke status...and some years later, Rich Kotite. Fans used to show up with paper bags on their heads under the watchful eye of Leon Hess. He moved the Jets into a stadium with another NFL team’s name on it, upon becoming sole owner, up until until his death. Before that, he and his partners had them playing for years in that sh**hole of an excuse for a football venue in Shea, and this was all in advance of every fan having basically a movie screen in their homes to watch the games.

He was nice to Byrd.

Woody’s own demerits and failures as owner aside, I don’t wish Hess was the owner again. 

No HC candidate who has other options available to him will agree to take the Jets job with Mac remaining as his equal. The Jets dearth of talent is very clear and the identity of the architect of this ship of second stringers pretending to be starters is even clearer. Good HC candidates will run from this job if Mac remains in place.

37 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

Leon Hess was a good man who knew how to run a business and put the faith of the franchise in the hands of Parcells. Woody is a trust fund unaccomplished socialite who prefers headlines over Success and wants his hands in everything. 

Leon Hess would easily make every top 10 list of ineffectual pro sports team owners. I lived it. So, I know first hand. He was a good businessman who was notoriously cheap and typically refused to hire "football" men to run the team. He made lots of money owning the Jets, but he was clueless as to how to build a winning team.

Hiring Parcells was akin to a deathbed decision to attempt to right his oddisey of errors. I give him zero credit for that and instead judge him.on the 30 years I spent in NFL hell before that.

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

Leon Hess would easily make every top 10 list of ineffectual pro sports team owners. I lived it. So, I know first hand. He was a good businessman who was notoriously cheap and typically refused to hire "football" men to run the team. He made lots of money owning the Jets, but he was clueless as to how to build a winning team.

And he was behind the group that forced you out..:unsure:

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Leon Hess oversaw the generation of of garbage that led to needing the Parcells name to take them out of joke status. A fired HC after getting the team within a game of the SB because he was drunk on a plane after getting cheated (a game famous for necessitating a league rule, with Hess impotently letting it happen without a fuss), and seeing him replaced with 6 years of watching Joe Walton pick his nose and bringing the Jets back to joke status...and some years later, Rich Kotite. Fans used to show up with paper bags on their heads under the watchful eye of Leon Hess. He moved the Jets into a stadium with another NFL team’s name on it, upon becoming sole owner, up until until his death. Before that, he and his partners had the, playing for years in that sh**hole of an excuse for a football venue in Shea, and this was all in advance of every fan having basically a movie screen in their homes to watch the games.

He was nice to Byrd.

Woody’s own demerits and failures as owner aside, I don’t wish Hess was the owner again. 

Hard to disagree with any of that. But at the end of the day Hess fell on the sword and wanted a winner on his way out of this life. Woody continues to meddle in affairs. Until he steps out of operations this team is not going to succeed. 

11 hours ago, RoadFan said:

This is what I was thinking. 

The Jets have no "moxie."  A bad history...  Lousy home field advantage... 

The aura surrounding this franchise is all wrong...  people see it.  The Jets are in the class with the Browns and the Lions.  Viewed as a lost cause by the outside world, and just about by many of us fans now too.  We have been rumbling the death rattle for years.  Darnold is the last gasp.  I am almost done...

but...........but............we are getting new uniforms now. The wait is over

New QB

New Coach

New Uniforms

New RING??

47 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I would have been shocked if Johnson looked great. Too many things to overlook a mere coincidence. His own team wouldn’t pony up on an extension unless it was below market, and instead kept him year-to-year until the number got unmanageable. He never played behind a DL that got so little pressure without blitzing. His "rating" write-ups were only favorable for specific scenarios rather than overall play. 

Anyone expecting him to come to the Jets, on a large contract with crazy up-front dollars, behind a line that needed to shift a safety from coverage help into a blitzer to get any QB pressure, to a team no other premiere FA talked to other than to use us to up his dollars elsewhere, is a fool. And Mike Maccagnan is that fool.

Good news everyone, we have lots of cap space this offseason, a requirement to spend it to field an nfl roster, we are still an unappealing destination to anyone who wants to win or enjoy their career, and there is still the franchise tag and other teams with cap space as well. 

Who is ready for an “aggressive” Mad Mac to get to work!!!!!!! 

12 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He has? 

Sanchez had the best oline and running game in the league in front of him, a better wr corps and the best defense in the league.

He didn't have best run game, he started season with chansi sticker stuckey as starting wr.

Sam is having a good rookie year, mark had a good rookie year. Mark's career went downhill when they took away the talent around him. We need to make sure we are doing everything to help Sam succeed and he will

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I would also think that agents and potential HC's see the Jets as a patient (too patient?) organization.  The Jets kept Rex a year too long.  They kept Bowles at least a year or two too long.  Guys get the benefit of the doubt around here.

Look what the Giants did with McAdoo.  One and done.  They knew and they acted decisively.

Let's also remember that Macc does not seem to do the hiring here.  He has a loud voice in the decision but the Jets have interestingly chosen to keep the GM and HC in separate reporting structures.

McAdoo was right, the Giants were wrong

9 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

Hard to disagree with any of that. But at the end of the day Hess fell on the sword and wanted a winner on his way out of this life. Woody continues to meddle in affairs. Until he steps out of operations this team is not going to succeed. 

Well, if Woody ****s up for the next  two decades and waits until he's 90+ years old to make a good hire, I guess he can hope to as good an owner as Hess.

I would also think that agents and potential HC's see the Jets as a patient (too patient?) organization.  The Jets kept Rex a year too long.  They kept Bowles at least a year or two too long.  Guys get the benefit of the doubt around here.

Look what the Giants did with McAdoo.  One and done.  They knew and they acted decisively.

Let's also remember that Macc does not seem to do the hiring here.  He has a loud voice in the decision but the Jets have interestingly chosen to keep the GM and HC in separate reporting structures.

55 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree.  The Rams didn’t let Johnson go because of money.  We all can see they spent plenty, they let him go for all the reasons you stated.  

This is why building a roster through free agency is foolish.  You overpay for average talent, and then worry if the guys you pay even want to put the effort in after they cash in.  

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you have options, you're not coming here.  Harbaugh is a pipe dream.  Established names will always have better options than us on the table. 

Many Coordinators and some college HC's who would be first-time HC's would be ecstatic to come here.  But that's only because they'd be getting an NFL HC-ing gig, something only 32 people on the planet get to have at any given time.  But if they had a choice, that doesn't mean we'd be first on their list. 

Hence, our next HC will lack experience, just like his predecessors Herm, Mangini, Rex Ryan and Bowles.  Let's just hope whoever we hire ends up being the next McVay. And let's also hope that Mike Maccagnan isn't his GM. 

I agree 100% with this. Who wants to come to the NYJets? With a media that will eat you alive like a Zombie picnic and an administrative leadership that has sucked and been unsuccessful. Some organizations are historically successful. The Jets are not one of them. Whoever comes here especially with Mac still as GM is doomed to failure.

12 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Franchise quarterback (hopefully) in place, ton of cap room, and a high draft pick. You’d have to think the right guy can turn this thing around real quick. Maybe like the rams a couple years ago?

envious for masochists, sure...

39 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He didn't have best run game, he started season with chansi sticker stuckey as starting wr.

Sam is having a good rookie year, mark had a good rookie year. Mark's career went downhill when they took away the talent around him. We need to make sure we are doing everything to help Sam succeed and he will

The Jets had the #1 rushing offense in 2009.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId=2009&seasonType=&Submit=Go

My opinion is that if Darnold had the team Sanchez did he would be having a significantly better season. It's obviously nothing that can be proven.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

My opinion is that if Darnold had the team Sanchez did he would be having a significantly better season. It's obviously nothing that can be proven.

Sanchez seemed better than he was because everybody around him was good. Is that what everybody is clamoring for with Darnold? To mask his being bad so we can cover our eyes and plug our ears and pretend?

There are a few of us who aren’t close to convinced that Darnold is a good bet to develop into a franchise quarterback. That doesn’t mean we think the Jets have done him any favors or that he’s the only reason that the team is bad.

13 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Franchise QB? All Darnold has proven so far is that he is a worse rookie QB than Sanchez was.

LOL

C'mon man.  Besides the much better talent Sanchez had around him, Darnold hasn't had a C that  can snap the ball to him in 4 out of the last 5 games.  15 bad snaps in the Fins game alone.

I don't think Mangold had 15 bad snaps in his career 

18 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Very misleading.  They were great running in garbage time and had 3 incredible games vs awful run defenses to skew numbers.  

I think Sam looks more polished than mark,I think he will be better but if we do the same things for Sam we did for mark that may not happen.

9 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Sanchez seemed better than he was because everybody around him was good. Is that what everybody is clamoring for with Darnold? To mask his being bad so we can cover our eyes and plug our ears and pretend?

There are a few of us who aren’t close to convinced that Darnold is a good bet to develop into a franchise quarterback. That doesn’t mean we think the Jets have done him any favors or that he’s the only reason that the team is bad.

What?

This conversation started with someone saying "All Darnold has proven so far is that he is a worse rookie QB than Sanchez was."

I don't believe that has been proven. 

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Very misleading.  They were great running in garbage time and had 3 incredible games vs awful run defenses to skew numbers.  

I think Sam looks more polished than mark,I think he will be better but if we do the same things for Sam we did for mark that may not happen.

It's not very misleading, it's facts. Every team runs more when they're winning in "garbage time" - that's how football works. To pretend like the Jets were the only team doing this is what is misleading.

The Jets were a run first offense who imposed their will on the opposition. The o-line and run game was very strong.

13 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He has? 

Sanchez had the best oline and running game in the league in front of him, a better wr corps and the best defense in the league.

According to PFF, the Jets have the 31st ranked Oline.  No QB has a chance...

Hello to everyone. This is my first post after following this site for a very long time. I have been a fan since the 60's so I've seen quite a bit and cried quite a bit along the way. I would love to see a scenario where a guy like Bill Cowher was brought in to head up football operations, bring in a cap guy and as an  under assistant GM , to help him out (ala Tanny), and have them assemble the staff. We need a football mind at the top and a person that the league and the players respect as a "Football Guy". Bill is a New York guy that misses the game, but said that he doesn't miss the daily grind of coaching. Until we get someone of that ilk, someone who's been around the game, we're just going to have someone else's flunky to manage us. To me Cowher (or someone like him) is this teams Parcells. Just my view of things. Thanks for reading.

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

I agree 100% with this. Who wants to come to the NYJets? With a media that will eat you alive like a Zombie picnic and an administrative leadership that has sucked and been unsuccessful. Some organizations are historically successful. The Jets are not one of them. Whoever comes here especially with Mac still as GM is doomed to failure. 

Yep.  The media, the poor ownership and front office track record, the high taxes living in the area, the cold weather (which impacts what kind of roster you try to build)....the list goes on and on.  If the Jets are not the worst job in the NFL, it's close. 

38 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What?

This conversation started with someone saying "All Darnold has proven so far is that he is a worse rookie QB than Sanchez was."

I don't believe that has been proven. 

I don’t believe it has either. But I don’t think that Darnold would be having a better season if he had the team Sanchez did either. He would be pretty much equally bad but nobody would realize it.

50 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's not very misleading, it's facts. Every team runs more when they're winning in "garbage time" - that's how football works. To pretend like the Jets were the only team doing this is what is misleading.

The Jets were a run first offense who imposed their will on the opposition. The o-line and run game was very strong.

They were 9-7 not blowing teams out.  Go check the games from that year. I've gone over it many times on here, not in the mood to do it now

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

They were 9-7 not blowing teams out.  Go check the games from that year. I've gone over it many times on here, not in the mood to do it now

It's actually the opposite -- it's misleading because if they had a halfway decent passing game they would have been more dominant in the run game.

Archived