Rapoport: Jets not Expected to Fire Todd Bowles

southtown24th

3 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

What? The GM?

We're worried about demoralizing a team that won't win anymore games anyway?

The GM needs to be replaced because the work needs to be done now to prepare for the offseason. Namely finding a coach, evaulating the roster and being ready for the draft. This can't wait until March.

Feelings are not a consideration here. We need to win football games for a god damn change

You will not win football games firing the coach and GM midseason.   If feelings arent in consideration then you leave them in until the end of the year and then fire them.  Firing them now will not get us a head start on much being as most coaches are playing still with their respective teams.  

Firing them now will only satisfy the fans anger and feelings most of whom don't know the first thing about running a professional football team.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

You will not win football games firing the coach and GM midseason.   If feelings arent in consideration then you leave them in until the end of the year and then fire them.  Firing them now will not get us a head start on much being as most coaches are playing still with their respective teams.  

Firing them now will only satisfy the fans anger and feelings most of whom don't know the first thing about running a professional football team.

How long do you think it takes to hire a GM? Who then has to find a coach? Do you think hiring a new GM in March gives him enough time to watch in depth film on this entire roster and to scout college draft prospects and free agents? Give me a break. There's zero logic here.

1 minute ago, JetPotato said:

How long do you think it takes to hire a GM? Who then has to find a coach? Do you think hiring a new GM in March gives him enough time to watch in depth film on this entire roster and to scout college draft prospects and free agents? Give me a break. There's zero logic here.

So by this logic you want to hire a GM who is unemployed at the moment?  I don't understand this at all.  Jets can still start looking at potential GM's and coaches now.  Guaranteed the next GM and coach for the Jets are currently employed somewhere else so little you can do at this moment.  

Who hires GM's in March?  That's a stupid statement.  Teams who fire their coaches/GM's 95% of the time have new ones in place by end of January unless they are waiting for someone who is coaching in the Super Bowl.  

That gives plenty of time to evaluate before free agency in March and the draft in April.  

You are acting like firing a coach at the end of the season is abnormal or something when it's the normal thing to do in the league.  

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Mike135 did you watch yesterdays game? 

This loss could be one of the worst in NY Jets history. 

Matt Barkley off the street. 

COME ON MAN 

Todd Bowles is doing more damage and scarring to this organization by remaining the HC. 

The players have all quit. 

Charles Barkley could have put up 300 yards on Bowles’ D yesterday 

1 minute ago, BallinPB said:

So by this logic you want to hire a GM who is unemployed at the moment?  I don't understand this at all.  Jets can still start looking at potential GM's and coaches now.  Guaranteed the next GM and coach for the Jets are currently employed somewhere else so little you can do at this moment.  

Who hires GM's in March?  That's a stupid statement.  Teams who fire their coaches/GM's 95% of the time have new ones in place by end of January unless they are waiting for someone who is coaching in the Super Bowl.  

That gives plenty of time to evaluate before free agency in March and the draft in April.  

You are acting like firing a coach at the end of the season is abnormal or something when it's the normal thing to do in the league.  

How dense are you? I'm not talking about the coach at all. I'm talking about the GM. There's no logic here. The more time a GM has to prepare for the offseason, the better. And no, the new GM doesn't have to be currently unemployed necessarily. You can hire someone at any time from another organization, or you hire a football guy who has been doing other things for now. A good organization has a GM in place before they hire a coach. Hiring a GM takes time, and meanwhile the pool of coaches will thin out while you do your GM search. The bottom line: in the next 3 months, there is ZERO VALUE in retaining Maccagnan. What do you hope he will accomplish in that time? Who is it going to piss off if he is canned? As if that should even be a consideration. What advantage does retaining a lame duck GM give you?

it is apparent that after the Fish game and blaming his players, that his players, while saying all the right things about him, have quit.  The D never showed up yesterday and reportedly that was after another good week of practice.  What is absolutely surreal is that this HC has lost the team a second time in the same tenure.   think about that. 

Not only is he an incompetent HC, he is not a leader and has proved with all his firings of coaches that he is a sh*tty talent evaluator...   

51 years as a fan and that pathetic display ranks as one of the worse losses ever right 

5 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

How dense are you? I'm not talking about the coach at all. I'm talking about the GM. There's no logic here. The more time a GM has to prepare for the offseason, the better. And no, the new GM doesn't have to be currently unemployed necessarily. You can hire someone at any time from another organization, or you hire a football guy who has been doing other things for now. A good organization has a GM in place before they hire a coach. Hiring a GM takes time, and meanwhile the pool of coaches will thin out while you do your GM search. The bottom line: in the next 3 months, there is ZERO VALUE in retaining Maccagnan. What do you hope he will accomplish in that time? Who is it going to piss off if he is canned? As if that should even be a consideration. What advantage does retaining a lame duck GM give you?

So if firing a GM right now is the right thing to do all around, name me the last time this has been successful for an organization?  If you say this is the right thing to do there has to be at least a small list of examples that show this works.  I can give you much better list when they hire a GM right after the season and then a coach after.  They can still start looking for a GM right now.  No need to rush Macc out the door.  It shows instability and dysfunction for potential candidates.

4 minutes ago, SOJ said:

it is apparent that after the Fish game and blaming his players, that his players, while saying all the right things about him, have quit.  The D never showed up yesterday and reportedly that was after another good week of practice.  What is absolutely surreal is that this HC has lost the team a second time in the same tenure.   think about that. 

Not only is he an incompetent HC, he is not a leader and has proved with all his firings of coaches that he is a sh*tty talent evaluator...   

51 years as a fan and that pathetic display ranks as one of the worse losses ever right 

It's a combination of coaching and personnel.  I don't think they've given up on him as much as I just think they don't respond to him.  I believe there is a difference.  They want him there but he's not inspiring them to play better. and these guys are still playing but they are feeding off of his emotions which is 0.  

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Ultimately I think he'll be judged on how Sam looks at the end of the season.

These week-to-week reactions/headlines won't mean much come January.

Week to week? More like year after year.

57 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

All this is telling me is Bowles and Macc have a chance to stay once the end of the season comes.  If Bowles met with ownership like the reports said yesterday, they obviously gave him a mandate for the rest of the season.  They don't decide to fire you now and actually keep you on after a meeting.  

This should worry people because let's say Bowles wins the next 5 of 6 games.  Highly unlikely but possible in a freak scenario.  Bowles will be staying if the Jets go 8-8.  They should've just did it today if they are going to do it.

We're not winning 5 of our next 6 games and we're definitely going 8-8 in any scenario. This team flat out quit on its coach for the third year in a row. Bowles is a dead man walking.

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Ultimately I think he'll be judged on how Sam looks at the end of the season.

These week-to-week reactions/headlines won't mean much come January.

Mike, the defense giving up 41 to Matt Barkley and the Bills is a-OK notwithstanding Sam's development?

13 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

Mike, the defense giving up 41 to Matt Barkley and the Bills is a-OK notwithstanding Sam's development?

Definitely not.  But the D didn't come to play.  It is what it is.  Sucks, but I'm not screaming at the sky.

The defensive players are likely exhausted playing that crap offense.  Add in the fact Sam isnt even playing and well...  they're human.  They obviously weren't psyched for the game.  

I don't see any benefit in being overdramatic evey week reacting to the games.  Let the season play out and handle things in January.

Why does anyone really care when he gets fired? In all honesty, I may actually sorta prefer after the season as to eliminate and kind of rally-cry around a new interim HC that could lead to a few useless, emotional wins...ie I could see Greene getting the job creating some juice and some wins leading them away from a potential top 3-5 pick. 

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Why does anyone really care when he gets fired? In all honesty, I may actually sorta prefer after the season as to eliminate and kind of rally-cry around a new interim HC that could lead to a few useless, emotional wins...ie I could see Greene getting the job creating some juice and some wins leading them away from a potential top 3-5 pick. 

Watch Bowles go 3-3 down the stretch and Chris Johnson decide to keep him.

Honestly believe the decision to cut bait has been made and would take a miracle to change. It’s going to be a black Monday if not Sunday night behind the scenes wheels are in motion. Leaks may take 2 or 3 weeks to serface as losses mount the pressure to let things out will mount and Johnson will be forced to tip his hand. Just my opinion.

7 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Ok, so that’s actually a legit concern and unfortunate possibility with this sh*tbox team/ownership. Good pt

If that happens, I will personally make a visit to Florham Park and infiltrate the organization. I will start as a lunch lady and work my way up the ranks....

25 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Watch Bowles go 3-3 down the stretch and Chris Johnson decide to keep him.

It's not going to happen... have you seen our schedule?

This was the week for the players to rally around their coach that they all know is on the hotseat and they played one of the worst games in Jets history. Completely laid an egg to a Matt Barkley led Bills team.

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Mike135 did you watch yesterdays game? 

This loss could be one of the worst in NY Jets history. 

Matt Barkley off the street. 

COME ON MAN 

Todd Bowles is doing more damage and scarring to this organization by remaining the HC. 

The players have all quit. 

This is the second loss this year you’ve called one of the worst in Jets history.  

Just like last time, this one also doesn’t register.  It’s a bad loss in a non-playoff year.  Had we won, we’d be 4-6 and still irrelevant.

Stop being such a drama queen.

The only reason to fire Bowles today is to satiate angry fans.

Finish the season.  Fire Macc and Bowles.  Use Darnold, 100M in cap space, and a top 5 pick to attract new leadership.

Anything that isn’t this plan is unnessary and probably a mistake.

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

This is the second loss this year you’ve called one of the worst in Jets history.  

Just like last time, this one also doesn’t register.  It’s a bad loss in a non-playoff year.  Had we won, we’d be 4-6 and still irrelevant.

Stop being such a drama queen.

Unfortunately dude/dudette the Dolphins loss was another pathetic loss to a team we should be beating up and down the field. 

Don't tell me how to react to the Jets losses as i've seen more than my fair share in my lifetime.

This entire board is full of others who like me are sick and tired of losing and how we choose to lose. 

Yet you decide to make a post to me personally. 

Take a hike. 

You've chosen to ignore content by TeddEY. 

4 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

His coaching staff does in fact suck.

What is a major conspiracy theory is to say Bowles intentionally hired a terrible coaching staff as part of a 4-year plan to not get himself fired on this particular week, due solely to a lack of candidates to serve as interim HC, as some are claiming. 

If Bowles had done this putrid hiring on purpose then I might be inclined to keep him!!

The fact that Bowles has presided over this fiasco and that it was unintentional is even more damming IMO....But I do understand what you are saying :) 

18 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Did I really make joewilly12’s ignore list!?!?!?

Its not even my birthday!!!!

Totally unrelated - is there anything more pathetic than a grown man telling another person he put them on an ignore list on the internet?

Possibly.  Have you read through the Baker Mayfield thread recently?  

13 hours ago, TeddEY said:

The only reason to fire Bowles today is to satiate angry fans.

Finish the season.  Fire Macc and Bowles.  Use Darnold, 100M in cap space, and a top 5 pick to attract new leadership.

Anything that isn’t this plan is unnessary and probably a mistake.

Disagree. You start fixing what is obviously broken, you let players know right now they're playing for their jobs. Not well play out the string boys we'll evaluate everything in the off season nonsense. Plus the message gets out to other HC candidates that the Jets job is available now , not in Jan when 5-10 other openings will also spring up.

51 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Disagree. You start fixing what is obviously broken, you let players know right now they're playing for their jobs. Not well play out the string boys we'll evaluate everything in the off season nonsense. Plus the message gets out to other HC candidates that the Jets job is available now , not in Jan when 5-10 other openings will also spring up.

Do you honestly believe that firing a coach is going to get players to play any differently because only now their jobs are on the line, or that coaching candidates don't already know that this job is available?

Both of these seem like narratives that don't really exist in reality.

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Do you honestly believe that firing a coach is going to get players to play any differently because only now their jobs are on the line, or that coaching candidates don't already know that this job is available?

Both of these seem like narratives that don't really exist in reality.

I can see you point on the coaching vacancy, but these players act like they are in a country club, i do believe that a change in locker room culture is needed and will be a big wake up call for some of the floaters. 

Archived