Rapoport: Jets not Expected to Fire Todd Bowles

southtown24th

35 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I can see you point on the coaching vacancy, but these players act like they are in a country club, i do believe that a change in locker room culture is needed and will be a big wake up call for some of the floaters. 

I don't think an interim coach is the one to do that.  Nor, do I honestly think that Bowles runs a country club.  There are ways to communicate without yelling.  Bowles doesn't do that - but I pretty firmly believe that lack of talent is the problem, not lack of effort or discipline.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

I don't think an interim coach is the one to do that.  Nor, do I honestly think that Bowles runs a country club.  There are ways to communicate without yelling.  Bowles doesn't do that - but I pretty firmly believe that lack of talent is the problem, not lack of effort or discipline.

Then we'll agree to disagree on this .

26 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I think it is a 50/50 team effort.

Bowles has been provided with subpar talent.  The Stewart/Hansen Twins is the prime example of that.  But it also seems that Bowles does not develop the players, build a staff or manage the game right.

Fire them both. 

36 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Then we'll agree to disagree on this .

10 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think it is a 50/50 team effort.

Bowles has been provided with subpar talent.  The Stewart/Hansen Twins is the prime example of that.  But it also seems that Bowles does not develop the players, build a staff or manage the game right.

Fire them both. 

I look at a game, even like last week, where, in the 2nd half, the Jets came out, and went on a nice TD drive.  Obvious effort on display.  Then, the subsequent Bills drive, the defense was having a good series until a long ball beat Claiborne.  Was the defense trying up until that play, and then Claiborne decided he wouldn't try?  Not a chance.  Claiborne simply misplayed the ball and was out of position, quite badly.

As for talent, I demonstrated this in another thread... I randomly picked half the league (15 teams) and looked at their drafts from 2015 - 2017.  No team had less active NFL players, let alone players currently on the teams roster, than the Jets.  The closest, incidentally, was the Bills.  It's really hard to argue that Macc isn't the worst drafting GM in this league, and it's already been demonstrated how poorly his drafts have gone.  Even his signature move, trading a 1 and 3 2s for what ended up being Sam Darnold isn't nearly as good a move as drafting Patrick Mahommes over Jamal Adams and still having 3 2nd round picks, and a 1st.

They both must go at the end of the year - but we'll take the half measure I'd guess.  We'll keep Macc, he'll overspend in free agency, draft a reasonably competent player in the 1st, and then a guy we've never heard of in the 3rd who will make no impact.

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

They don't need to be mutually exclusive. It's a combination of all three and that should be painfully evident at this point. 

On 11/12/2018 at 5:58 PM, rangerous said:

i'm not claiming to know all that goes on in jet land but it seems like bowles has never called out any players and the fact that they continue to make stupid mistakes means he's not calling them out as a coach either.  these guys know better than to go offsides multiple times in a game.  they know not to commit stupid holding calls or pass interference penalties.  they know they're supposed to turn there heads and make a play for the ball.  they know they're supposed to catch balls in bounds, and so on.

Theyre one of the least penalized teams in the NFL and had all of one penalty last Sunday.  He sucks but fans imagine more somehow.

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Theyre one of the least penalized teams in the NFL and had all of one penalty last Sunday.  He sucks but fans imagine more somehow.

didn't they have 3 holding calls on one play?  okay i get some of those are to prevent the qb from getting clobbered and are justified but how many of those penalties are stupid in nature like off sides, or illegal formations, or not trying to go for the ball while pass defending.  those all come back to coaching.

11 hours ago, RobR said:

They don't need to be mutually exclusive. It's a combination of all three and that should be painfully evident at this point. 

Sure don't.  But, one, coaching, IMO, people are worrying about way too much, and the other, people are worrying about not enough or blaming the coaching.  This makes sense, because firing Bowles is easy and offers a tangible solution.  By firing Macc, the lack of talent is still there, and still takes year's to fix.  Ultimately, what I'm saying is that it's wishful thinking to go with the, "we just need better coaching" hypothesis that Jets fans have been going with for far beyond Todd Bowles' tenure.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:33 AM, southtown24th said:

This is a complete and utter disaster.  This has to be rock bottom for this franchise.  I am ashamed.

Bowles has put together a staff that has no clue what to do. Inexperienced, they look to him to make adjustments and help them out when things are not working, but he is looking to them, so nothing gets done. Bowles really should have been fired after last year and an offensive minded HC brought in to develop whatever rookie QB the Jets drafted. Bowles, by all accounts is a nice guy, but we know where nice guys finish.

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

didn't they have 3 holding calls on one play?  okay i get some of those are to prevent the qb from getting clobbered and are justified but how many of those penalties are stupid in nature like off sides, or illegal formations, or not trying to go for the ball while pass defending.  those all come back to coaching.

They had one penalty for the game.  Presnap penalties are on the players, not the HC.  To keep repeating it doesn't change it

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

They had one penalty for the game.  Presnap penalties are on the players, not the HC.  To keep repeating it doesn't change it

pre-snap penalties can help be alleviated like all penalties during practice. Have people know the counts and the plays, repetition is the key with practice and drilling it into these guys heads. But hey let's blame the players when the coach is not asking/demanding better performances from them, not making in game adjustments. It is so simple to blame the players when the coach has the same if not more to do with this team being bad then any one player. 

On 11/14/2018 at 11:15 AM, Jet Nut said:

yes the player is the person commiting the penalty but if the coach doesn't have the players' attention and makes it clear it won't be tolerated then it will just keep happening.  i will agree the team is not a zoo like under rex but it is a far different thing when players say they will walk through a wall for coach and then lay an egg on game day.  there's something wrong going on.

On 11/15/2018 at 3:14 PM, rangerous said:

yes the player is the person commiting the penalty but if the coach doesn't have the players' attention and makes it clear it won't be tolerated then it will just keep happening.  i will agree the team is not a zoo like under rex but it is a far different thing when players say they will walk through a wall for coach and then lay an egg on game day.  there's something wrong going on.

Pure nonsense.  No coach doesnt stress presnap penalties.  Theyre on the player, not the coach.  No matter how hard fans want to blame coaching.  What are you going to do, bench your starting guards and center after 5 FS penalties?  Really?  Aint happening.  They were dogged over penalties all preseason.  They have been bad at times.  Not Pitt Steeler bad, but have had issues.  Fans overreact to penalties.  You mentioned penalties after a 1 penalty game.  

He deserves to lose his job and he will soon enough, we dont more ammo

33 minutes ago, Drums said:

He will not make it the rest of the year. One more embarrassment and I think he’s gone. 

Well good thing we don’t have a bye since we always come out of them stale and good thing the team that we are playing doesn’t have a bye so they can prepare. It’s a really good thing that we aren’t playing the Patriots who just got embarrassed/upset by the Titans and looking to destroy their next opponent..............well I guess Bowles is gone then. 

On 11/12/2018 at 3:01 PM, Philc1 said:

We aren’t winning another game this season.  After we go 3-13 it will be impossible to argue Bowles isn’t as bad or worse than Dick Kotite

It'll be impossible to argue Bowles isn't bad or worse....   Chris Johnson says hold my beer. 

7 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Yo, can we change the title or lock the thread? It was at the top of the board when I logged in and I started to get upset before I realized it was an old thread! ?

The same exact thing happened to me!!! I felt sick to my stomach until I realized it was the old one haha. Glad I’m not crazy.......nvm

The offense may have no talent, but the defense has plenty of players; maybe not a top 10 defense, but a guy off of the street scored how many points on us? Is it really the players? Or, possibly, is it the coaching, scheme, inability to adapt, refusal to bench players not giving it their all (or who are making stupid mistakes), and the team being flat and unprepared?

It is hard to believe that the Jets D has so little talent that they could get creamed at home to a team as bad as they are starting a basically the 4th string QB. Coaching is the biggest problem on this team.

Now if Mac/Chris could get other teams to play like it was still 1985, we would have a chance. So, I guess it is the GM's/Owner's fault after all.

20 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

The offense may have no talent, but the defense has plenty of players; maybe not a top 10 defense, but a guy off of the street scored how many points on us? Is it really the players? Or, possibly, is it the coaching, scheme, inability to adapt, refusal to bench players not giving it their all (or who are making stupid mistakes), and the team being flat and unprepared?

It is hard to believe that the Jets D has so little talent that they could get creamed at home to a team as bad as they are starting a basically the 4th string QB. Coaching is the biggest problem on this team.

Now if Mac/Chris could get other teams to play like it was still 1985, we would have a chance. So, I guess it is the GM's/Owner's fault after all.

Absolutely. This is not a championship team talentwise by any means but to lose to Brock osweiller and then get destroyed at home by Matt Barkley and the bills is a coaching issue.

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

This nails it.  The team comes out flat in 90% of the games Bowles coaches.  No energy, no emotion.

The way they came out against the Bills clearly shows they don't have respect for their coaches or fear any repercussions from Bowles.  There is no other explanation for it.

Coaching is the far and away # 1 problem with this team.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:50 PM, TeddEY said:

hmm, that's a balanced opinion. It is true that Bowles doesn't seem to inspire greatness in his players, he really hasn't had enough great players to play with. His first year, with decent players, he got Fitzpatricked. The next year it was 2011 all over again. and the cupboard was bare.  

This year, the talent has improved in some areas but the Same OL Jets came back, again. The OL is just horrible. Not that they are so talent deficient, as they were in 2011, just not able to prosper with the absurdly pre-modern focus on the run Bowles clings to, as if it makes any sense.

What I most despise about Bowles, and what I think his fatal flaw is: after the Bills took two plays to score, Bowles' offense went three and out with two unsuccessful inside running plays. To me, that shows a dogged addiction to conservatism that will never be successful with the Jets, ah, talent, no matter if that is the "right" way to play. So, unless Bowles changes this philosophy, he will never be successful. Bowles's offensive and game strategies are not what I think the rising corps of jets players need leading them. But, yeah, they definitely need more talent all over the field.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

This nails it.  The team comes out flat in 90% of the games Bowles coaches.  No energy, no emotion.

The way they came out against the Bills clearly shows they don't have respect for their coaches or fear any repercussions from Bowles.  There is no other explanation for it.

Coaching is the far and away # 1 problem with this team.

Mac is a very close #2, especially if he listened to his coaches on many picks instead of trusting his scouting. Guy is clueless. 

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Mac is a very close #2, especially if he listened to his coaches on many picks instead of trusting his scouting. Guy is clueless. 

well you know we disagree there..  Macc is fine.  I'm looking forward to a successful offseason.

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

well you know we disagree there..  Macc is fine.  I'm looking forward to a successful offseason.

Honestly, I can’t keep track haha. Most people dislike Mac so sorry if I assumed. I agree that the coaching has been absolutely horrible but I still rank Mac almost as bad. Bowles is on another level though. I mean, he keeps finding levels below rock bottom. 

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Well good thing we don’t have a bye since we always come out of them stale and good thing the team that we are playing doesn’t have a bye so they can prepare. It’s a really good thing that we aren’t playing the Patriots who just got embarrassed/upset by the Titans and looking to destroy their next opponent..............well I guess Bowles is gone then. 

I think he might get a pass against the Patriots but another loss like last week— them saying they won’t fire him will go out the door. Hard to believe this team will give any effort next week or any week after. 

With that said, we might lose by 100 against the Pats. No joke. 

Archived