I’m going to get fried but I’m warming up to hiring McCarthy

Patriot Killa

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

No, Bowles isn’t keeping his job. Dunno if you’ve been keeping up with the team because I haven’t seen you post in awhile but it’s just not happening. It’s been Rich Kotite-esque bad

I keep up with the team more than I should. I think Bowles should've been fired already, unless Mac is safe and he told Chris don't worry I know the perfect coach for the team. I've been a fan for a very long time and I have found it easier to just wait until this team makes its decision then to speculate and get excited about a potential coach or player  until it happens.  It's easier said than done because I'm on this board constantly, and I am also a JI  refugee. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I have to be honest. Even though I’m not a fan of McCarthy, I’m surprised how many other guys  don’t want him either. Who knows with these coaches? I just brought up Kitchens and the job he’s done as an OC. Two months ago  I’d never heard of him. @Thai Jet is a big Alabama fan, I wonder if he even knew the guy was coaching in the league before Jackson and Haley were fired?

Nope. Ever since Kitchens left Bama I lost track of him except  when he was coaching in Starkville (Miss St).  He's was being mentioned as the possible new OC at Tennessee since he and Greg Pruitt (HC) were roommates at Bama but with the fine work he;s doing with the Browns I doubt that now.

8 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Did McCarthy elevate Rodgers or did Rodgers elevate McCarthy? The fact that their relationship soured at the end was more than likely Rodgers being the dick than McCarthy. Maybe McCarthy’s unwillingness to bend was the fact that HE was the HC, not Rodgers, but nobody ever told Arron that simple fact. If at the end of the year, when the Jets look around and see who’s available McCarthy may be the best coach available. But I’m almost positive they will F it up. I’m all in with McCarthy. I’ve watched a lot of GB games through the years. He’s a winning coach  who hasn’t had a loaded team of players on offense or defense. Name a coach with a much better record than what he has and I’ll be willing to jump on the boat.

I know Rodgers was pissed at some of the player moves like dumping Jordy Nelson but that's not on McCarthy. He was pissed that he had no input.

On one hand: he was the whiz-kid out of SF who brought Favre back from a 4-12 season to a 13-3 season which ended in OT in the NFCCG in just 2 short years. He then went on to manage the transition to Aaron, and helped make/develop Aaron into one of the GOATs. 

On the other hand: his style, playcalling, and clock management have all left much to be desired over the last 4-5 years. There’s also the question of just how much value he added to the team once it became clear that Aaron is the most talented QB to ever play. Was he maximizing Aaron’s talent, or was he holding him back? 

Honestly I don’t know. I’m an all out fanboy of Aaron’s, and my longtime friends know that I was talking about Aaron being the best QB I’ve ever seen in college starting from his 3rd game at Cal. So maybe I’m biased, but I think McCarthy held the Packers back the last 5 years or so.

However, there is definitely something to be said for McCarthy’s coaching job from ‘06-‘11. IF, and it’s a big if, but IF he decided after being fired to go back to his roots and recalibrate his coaching style and playcalling the way Andy Reid supposedly did after he was fired, then I’d be willing to take McCarthy on, because he’s proven what he can do with a potentially great QB.

4 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I keep up with the team more than I should. I think Bowles should've been fired already, unless Mac is safe and he told Chris don't worry I know the perfect coach for the team. I've been a fan for a very long time and I have found it easier to just wait until this team makes its decision then to speculate and get excited about a potential coach or player  until it happens.  It's easier said than done because I'm on this board constantly, and I am also a JI  refugee. 

I understand. I just don’t think he’s staying. I think they told him after the first Bills game that they are going to give him the respect to fire him after the season. It just doesn’t even seem like one of those that is 50/50 situations or even 75/25. 

12 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I feel like the Packers roster has sucked. I don’t think it was built very well on offense. They only drafted Devonte Adams and then never looked for any other weapons once Cobb became washed up, Jordy Nelson left and Greg Jennings retired.(they tried with Jimmy Graham) I think they felt Aaron could pull the Brady thing off where they don’t need to spend on players for offense and he would rise their playing levels. They became infatuated with fixing the defense with their picks and then ignored the offensive side of the ball pretty well — funny thing is a lot of those defensive picks failed. HaHa-ClintonDix was traded this season. Their CB2 went to the Browns. They never progressed with their plan and the offense/defense both became stagnant after awhile. Just stuck in place.

now McCarthy isn’t perfect. He is a little hard headed with his play calling but he was head coach and at least apart of the development of Aaron Rodgers. Brett wasn’t giving this guy tips. Someone is the genius behind the progression. Sure Rodgers is responsible for a very big portion of reaching this level but McCarthy did well managing the situation and he definitely didn’t do anything to hinder the development.

Lots of solid coaches have only one 1 SB with a great QB or none at all!

Dungy/Peyton

Andy Reid is 0-1

Brees/Payton

Shula/Marino

Football is a game of momentum and anything can be everything in a game as far as the final results goes. He’s come close. He’s been to NFC Championship games well after and it just hasn’t worked out. Think he has been to 2 NFCCG since the super bowl win. It’s not like he won it in 2010 then miserablely failed. He has a damn good W/L record overall.

Regular season: 122 wins to 77 losses. That’s good for a .618 winning %

Post season: 10 wins for 8 losses(.556 W%)

Career: 135 to 85 (.613 W%)

I’ve been thinking hard on the HC hiring and I’m starting to think maybe hiring an experienced offensive minded successful coach — despite his flaws — is more reasonable than going rookie HC again. 

He’s stubborn but it’s hard to see why he would approach a new job with the same mindset that got him fired from his last job. He’ll hire an OC. consult and figure out the best game plan and put Darnold in a better situation.

I am NOT against McCarthy, but I want many others interviewed. But I can see the same BS taking place. Some prospect comes in for an interview, and Johnson/Mac feel pressured and the "Cant let him leave the building" crap again and they sign him. That worked out so well with Bowles. They need to interview some of the hot shot coordinators etc.

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I understand. I just don’t think he’s staying. I think they told him after the first Bills game that they are going to give him the respect to fire him after the season. It just doesn’t even seem like one of those that is 50/50 situations or even 75/25. 

I I think you're pretty much spot on. It's just that sometimes  nothing surprises me anymore with this team. I respect the fact that they want to keep him until the end of season, but that also puts us behind the eight ball a little when it comes to  interviewing and hiring a new coach. I don't wanna be stuck with the third or fourth option.  I think Sam may Play a factor in the coaches decision depending upon what they think they can do with him. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Is that not what this board is for?

Don’t get me wrong, you can post what you want. Just don’t get butt hurt if you get teased about starting new threads about existing topics, because you’re absurd self-importance compels you to.

Yours treading on UnitedWhoCares levels of inane pondering. It deserves being laughed at.

Jets fans putting a ton of effort into finding a replacement for a guy who hasn't been fired yet

Can Chris Johnson even cut a 4 million dollar check for severance? Serious question. 

and what happens if they win the next few games? 7-9 would save his job for sure and 6-10 would too if one of those wins were the Pats. 

33 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Don’t get me wrong, you can post what you want. Just don’t get butt hurt if you get teased about starting new threads about existing topics, because you’re absurd self-importance compels you to.

Yours treading on UnitedWhoCares levels of inane pondering. It deserves being laughed at.

Lol okay? I don’t really care what you have to say, bro. You are being smug for no reason but that’s your own deal. Just because I felt like giving a more first-person/detailed take on the McCarthy situation doesn’t mean I have this “absurd” sense of self-importance. It means I feel like expressing my thoughts like a normal board member and if that rubs you the wrong way, it’s your own problem. Weird way of approaching things on a message board — being bothered with what threads are started for and such, especially when they aren’t one liner threads with no contribution to the conversation and are rational thoughts. but yeah, like I said, your deal, not mine.

good talk. no need to stretch this any further.

To be fair about McCarthy...

The Packers with Rodgers were a perennial SB contender until the last couple of years and it just seems like the relationship was broken - sometimes it happens and people just need a change of scenery.  

We always talk here about not hiring a first time HC - well, if you do that you are almost certainly hiring a coach that has failed (or he would still have a job)

I, personally, would much rather have McCarthy than the DC flavor of the month...

13 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I feel like the Packers roster has sucked. I don’t think it was built very well on offense. They only drafted Devonte Adams and then never looked for any other weapons once Cobb became washed up, Jordy Nelson left and Greg Jennings retired.(they tried with Jimmy Graham) I think they felt Aaron could pull the Brady thing off where they don’t need to spend on players for offense and he would rise their playing levels. They became infatuated with fixing the defense with their picks and then ignored the offensive side of the ball pretty well — funny thing is a lot of those defensive picks failed. HaHa-ClintonDix was traded this season. Their CB2 went to the Browns. They never progressed with their plan and the offense/defense both became stagnant after awhile. Just stuck in place.

now McCarthy isn’t perfect. He is a little hard headed with his play calling but he was head coach and at least apart of the development of Aaron Rodgers. Brett wasn’t giving this guy tips. Someone is the genius behind the progression. Sure Rodgers is responsible for a very big portion of reaching this level but McCarthy did well managing the situation and he definitely didn’t do anything to hinder the development.

Lots of solid coaches have only one 1 SB with a great QB or none at all!

Dungy/Peyton

Andy Reid is 0-1

Brees/Payton

Shula/Marino

Football is a game of momentum and anything can be everything in a game as far as the final results goes. He’s come close. He’s been to NFC Championship games well after and it just hasn’t worked out. Think he has been to 2 NFCCG since the super bowl win. It’s not like he won it in 2010 then miserablely failed. He has a damn good W/L record overall.

Regular season: 122 wins to 77 losses. That’s good for a .618 winning %

Post season: 10 wins for 8 losses(.556 W%)

Career: 135 to 85 (.613 W%)

I’ve been thinking hard on the HC hiring and I’m starting to think maybe hiring an experienced offensive minded successful coach — despite his flaws — is more reasonable than going rookie HC again. 

He’s stubborn but it’s hard to see why he would approach a new job with the same mindset that got him fired from his last job. He’ll hire an OC. consult and figure out the best game plan and put Darnold in a better situation.

Cowherd is such a douche! Go back and listen to his diatribe about Darnold before the season & he starts yapping about Bowles & he thinks he's a good coach, and blah, blah, blah. Talk about a guy with diarrhea of the mouth. I remember listening to it, thinking, obviously this idiot hasn't watched Bowles games EVER.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's always wrong.  About everything.  He's TV/Radio's version of @Pac.

Ive been saying Defillipo is overrated garbage for months, Bowles will get fired for months...  Macc will be retained for months...

I'm wrong about everything.

3 hours ago, slats said:

All of the Jets' hires since Parcells have been hotshots. It's been over 20 years since they hired an experienced head coach. Probably the two best in the franchise's history were retreads: Weeb and Tuna. Yeah, Nagy and McVay make the hotshot argument, but then you've got Reid making the experienced hand argument. The Jets are currently in a bad place. Nagy and McVay may be offensive geniuses, but they've each got a defensive superstar on their roster. The Jets don't have that. McCarthy isn't a perfect candidate, but he's a great candidate for the Jets. A guy who's won the Super Bowl. He'd bring legitimacy. 

I agree wholeheartedly, too, that it's about Darnold. McCarthy is a guy who understands that run-run-pass puts your QB in the worst situation. QBs heat up by throwing the football. Having coached improvisers, he'll let Sam improvise.

The problem is that the Jets won't be getting their first choice. It's not the best opening. And McCarthy has already struggled with a weak roster and probably looks at Maccagnan's work and gags.  

I know.  There is always the shame of being the Jets to deal with

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Unless MAC is fired I would be suprised to see McCarthy work under Mac. Just expect the whole crew is coming back minus a few coaches then if Bowles or whoever gets fired we go from there, that's my approach with this team.

Mac and Bowles are both coming back

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Jets fans putting a ton of effort into finding a replacement for a guy who hasn't been fired yet

Can Chris Johnson even cut a 4 million dollar check for severance? Serious question. 

and what happens if they win the next few games? 7-9 would save his job for sure and 6-10 would too if one of those wins were the Pats. 

Bowles is back next year.  It’s a done deal

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Rodgers gets ALL the credit when things go well and NONE of the blame when they are not going well.  Funny thing that.

I’d have to imagine that Aaron Rodgers is tough to coach. In fact that’s what I’ve heard before. The relationship staled more than anything if you ask me.

I refuse to read this sh*t thread on a coach who's underwhelmed for the last 7-8 years on a team that was LOADED with talent during that time. (you need to check your meds P.K!) 

GB has the highest number of starting players they've drafted, across the league. I don't remember what the official stat lines were, but they dip into FA a record low number of times. They've had talent that 85% of the league hasn't over M.M's tenure - and have little to show for it.

I can't survive that putrid hire. 

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I refuse to read this sh*t thread on a coach who's underwhelmed for the last 7-8 years on a team that was LOADED with talent during that time. (you need to check your meds P.K!) 

GB has the highest number of starting players they've drafted, across the league. I don't remember what the official stat lines were, but they dip into FA a record low number of times. They've had talent that 85% of the league hasn't over M.M's tenure - and have little to show for it.

I can't survive that putrid hire. 

Please describe loaded with talent and please describe “underwhelmed”.

an older Jordy Nelson? #2 at best WR Randell Cobb? No running back..ever? A ton of defensive picks that have done nothing or aren’t on the team anymore?

Underwhelmed is hilarious as well — 

2016: NFC Championship Game

2015: Divisonal Round

2014: NFC Championship Game

2013: Wildcard

2012: Wildcard

2011: Divisonal round

2010: Super Bowl win

2009: Wildcard

2007: NFC Championship Game 

you need to come better than that. Leonard Williams and Darron Lee would contribute to that starting % but does that move needles? You are saying this crap without any sense of context. GB has had poor offensive personnel outside of the QB and maybe 1-2 decent WR’s. Jordy Nelson? Greg Jennings?

Is McCarthy perfect? Nah he’s not and his play calling hasn’t been flexible. You still don’t leave this hire to someone else. He’s too established.

enough of the foolishness. The fact that Jet fans are sticking their noses up at this man is sick.

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Please describe loaded with talent and please describe “underwhelmed”.

an older Jordy Nelson? #2 at best WR Randell Cobb? No running back..ever? A ton of defensive picks that have done nothing or aren’t on the team anymore?

Underwhelmed is hilarious as well — 

2016: NFC Championship Game

2015: Divisonal Round

2014: NFC Championship Game

2013: Wildcard

2012: Wildcard

2011: Divisonal round

2010: Super Bowl win

2009: Wildcard

2007: NFC Championship Game 

you need to come better than that. Leonard Williams and Darron Lee would contribute to that starting % but does that move needles? You are saying this crap without any sense of context. GB has had poor offensive personnel outside of the QB and maybe 1-2 decent WR’s. Jordy Nelson? Greg Jennings?

Is McCarthy perfect? Nah he’s not and his play calling hasn’t been flexible. You still don’t leave this hire to someone else. He’s too established.

enough of the foolishness. The fact that Jet fans are sticking their noses up at this man is sick.

No. 

He's literally not worth my time. Are there worse coaches? sure. Should we settle for him? fck no

I've got better things to parlaver about, with you or anyone else. Like draft prospects. 

That's like me saying, "I think we should hire Rex back"... you say no... i say why not?.... you say cause he's not good.... I say prove it... etc etc.. hell no to that conversation. 

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lol okay? I don’t really care what you have to say, bro. You are being smug for no reason but that’s your own deal. Just because I felt like giving a more first-person/detailed take on the McCarthy situation doesn’t mean I have this “absurd” sense of self-importance. It means I feel like expressing my thoughts like a normal board member and if that rubs you the wrong way, it’s your own problem. Weird way of approaching things on a message board — being bothered with what threads are started for and such, especially when they aren’t one liner threads with no contribution to the conversation and are rational thoughts. but yeah, like I said, your deal, not mine.

good talk. no need to stretch this any further.

“Don’t care”

Green Bay has had one of the most passive front offices since Rogers has been there. They may have had starters, but they rarely have drafted any true difference makers for Rogers. 

McCarthy’s time was up there. But he is definitely getting underrated. 

Everyone clamoring for “SOMEONE TO DEVELOP SAM!”

This coach gave Favre his last couple of great seasons at Green Bay. People forget before McCarthy’s arrival, Favre was falling off of a cliff.

This coach developed a very talented but very raw young QB in Aaron Rogers.

He won a Super Bowl.

His offensive system has actually evolved the last 2 seasons. Problem is Rogers was hurt all last year, and when he’s healthy he changes every play. Can’t blame either fully. 

I don’t think McCarthy is a slam dunk. He has plenty of issues: (poor game management, clock issues, stubborn, sticks with aging veterans over rookies, sticks with coordinators took long (looking at you Capers!) 

But this guy checks boxes with what we’re looking for. He definitely deserves consideration. Remember Andy Reid was a “NOWAY TO HIM” canidate when he left Philly. He was over the hill, out-dated, overrated, and nothing special over here at Jet Nation.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Green Bay has had one of the most passive front offices since Rogers has been there. They may have had starters, but they rarely have drafted any true difference makers for Rogers. 

This coach gave Favre his last couple of great seasons at Green Bay. People forget before McCarthy’s arrival, Favre was falling off of a cliff.

He won a Super Bowl.

His offensive system has actually evolved the last 2 seasons. Problem is Rogers was hurt all last year, and when he’s healthy he changes every play. Can’t blame either fully. 

I don’t think McCarthy is a slam dunk. He has plenty of issues: (poor game management, clock issues, stubborn, sticks with aging veterans over rookies, sticks with coordinators took long (looking at you Capers!) 

But this guy checks boxes with what we’re looking for. He definitely deserves consideration. Remember Andy Reid was a “NOWAY TO HIM” canidate when he left Philly. He was over the hill, out-dated, overrated, and nothing special over here at Jet Nation.

Just amazes me the coaches fans here stick their noses up at. I guarantee you when Andy Reid was let go in Philly, these same fans would whined like little babies had we gone after him.

Theres no perfect coach, hell Parcells made many mistakes here but we're looking for a guy that doesn't need training on the job, can work with a piece of clay QB, holds players accountable, has an offensive background, is well respected & will have no problem putting together a coaching staff, will already have an excellent special teams coach here in Boyer (1 less thing to worry about), has INSTANT CREDIBILITY the 1st day he walks out onto the field at Florham park this spring because he's also got a Super Bowl ring. 

This guy will easily be the best coach here since Parcells. I also believe he could do more developing Sam Darnold than even John Harbaugh could. Whoever he chooses for OC or if he does it himself, he's got years & years of experience and success. 

Maybe Green Bay has struggled because Rogers is going off script TOO MUCH? Has anyone ever thought about that? You look at Tom Brady & he's on script 99% of the time which means there are ZERO SURPRISES and everyone is on the same page. 8 Super Bowl appearances & 5 wins tells you scripts work. Foles was ON SCRIPT, no surprises. You can't expect to win ALL THE TIME throwing Hail Marys in the last 15 seconds.

10 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

MM:  18 playoff games in 12 years as a head coach

Jets:  25 playoff games in 55 years as a franchise

We could do worse

Can we please, please consider the following when we evaluate McCarthy?

* As Saints OC from 2000-04, the offense ranked 10th, 13th, 3rd, 14th and 14th in points scored.  Good, not exceptional.

* As 49ers OC in 2005, the offense ranked 30th in points scored and 32nd in yardage.

* In games that Aaron Rodgers has missed, Packers QB's have done the following:

--  Matt Flynn (6 starts):  3-3 record, 86.3 QB Rating

-- Scott Tolzien (2 starts):  0-1-1 record, 61.6 QB Rating

-- Seneca Wallace (1 start):  0-1 record, 64.4 QB Rating

-- Brett Hundley (9 starts):  3-6 record, 67.9 QB Rating

Career record as HC without Rodgers:  6-11-1

I know, I know.  No one should ever expect to do well with a backup QB, especially for teams that don't invest heavily in backups when their starter is HOF good.

But we need to somehow parse out how much of Mike McCarthy's record is credited to Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, and determine whether he is the right candidate for Sam Darnold. 

Given the information we have, I say no, emphatically.

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

He won a Super Bowl.

Rarely do Head Coaches with McCarthy's resume hit the open market.  I talked about this in the other McCarthy thread but you also have to give a lot of credit to McCarthy for how he handled Favre.  It's not easy to usher out a living legend of his magnitude in a city like that and the immediate returns, we're not good.  He went from Favre throwing away the Super Bowl to going 6-10 with Rodgers and being questioned if it was too soon and 2 years later they won a Super Bowl.

That takes massive size balls to handle. Massive.  Rodgers has turned into the biggest Diva in Football.  I get that McCarthy wasnt calling plays he liked but I honestly think that is more of an indictment of Rodgers Diva status than McCarthy's play calling.  In 2016, McCarthy was calling good enough plays for Rodgers to go for 4,500 yards, 40TDs/7INTs and oh hey, they won the division.  

Fast forward 1 year (Rodgers got hurt last year) and McCarthy suddenly calls the bad plays?

Rodgers is the best I've ever seen but he's turned into possibly a bigger Diva than Favre.

Archived