Want to be sold on Monken?

JohnnyLV

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stonehands said:

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that at some point this year, Koetter stripped him of play calling duties and the offense picked up after that.  Not sure how you check something like that, though.

wow.  I didn't know that.  Are you sure?

Just now, Stonehands said:

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that at some point this year, Koetter stripped him of play calling duties and the offense picked up after that.  Not sure how you check something like that, though.

In the podcast apparently they did that, offense tanked, Monken got it back offense did well. Sounded like Koetter wanted more running

1 minute ago, Stonehands said:

Ok, I googled.....Koetter pulled play calling duties back from Monken in November and then returned play calling duties back to him after he did no better.  Sounds like Monken called plays for the bulk of the season.

1 minute ago, Stonehands said:

Dirk Koetter took back offensive playcalling duties on Sunday

Buccaneers head coach Dirk Koetter fired defensive coordinator Mike Smith earlier this season and he stripped offensive coordinator Todd Monken of one of his chief responsibilities on Sunday.

In his press conference following Sunday’s 16-3 loss to Washington, Koetter said that he took offensive playcalling duties back from Monken during the game. Monken took over those duties this season and held them through the first eight games before Koetter stepped back in.

“I had my reasons,” Koetter said, via Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times.

Those reasons may include self-preservation as Koetter’s team is now 3-6 after opening the year with wins in their first two games. The playcalling resulted in 501 yards of offense for the Bucs, but four turnovers and two missed field goals left them with little to show for it on the scoreboard.

6 days later...

Bucs' Dirk Koetter turns play-calling back to OC Todd Monken

Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Dirk Koetter's days of running the offense lasted one game.

Koetter said on his weekly radio show that he will return the play-calling duties to offensive coordinator Todd Monken for Sunday's matchup at the New York Giants.

In Koetter's first game calling plays, the Buccaneers were held to a season-low point total in last week's 16-3 home loss to the Washington Redskins.

Tampa Bay did pile up 501 yards of total offense but committed four turnovers in the loss. Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who threw for 406 yards, was guilty of three of those miscues.

Koetter said his reasoning for running the offense was week was to ensure the Buccaneers established their running game in an attempt to keep their beleaguered defense off the field.

Tampa Bay leads the league in offensive yards per game (452.8) and its passing game also tops the NFL with an average of 361.2 yards despite rotating quarterbacks Fitzpatrick and Jameis Winston.

Such production is a big reason why Koetter has no issues relinquishing the play-calling and handing the keys to the offense back to Monken.

"He's done an excellent job calling the plays this season," said Koetter of Monken. "We have a process that we go through every week. I just think that's the best thing for us for this particular game. We'll see how it goes. But Monk's done a great job all season. I have no issues at all with the way Monk has called plays."

Sounds like Koetter wanted more running. Monken has the Tampa Bay offense airing it out early in the year and being very successful with Fitz.

46 minutes ago, Stonehands said:

He did

57 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Tampa Bay was the 3rd best offense in the NFL just behind the Chiefs and Rams. 

I hope you are just joking.

A069B930-4309-4017-8EE7-EF93F4E91DD3.jpeg

Inflated by a week 1 fluke win over the Saints whose defense played horribly and two games facing the falcons bottom ranked D

16 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Cliff notes:

Really smart

Super motivated, well respected

Slightly quirky personality that everyone responds to

Great leader

Very engaging in interviews

Brilliant at adapting a system to the players he is working with

Transfrormed Dirk's offense to something much greater

GREAT play caller

Aggressive and extremely good at  scheming receivers open

Loyal, transformed his college team but left not only because he wants to be HC, but because he couldnt pay his coordinators more

Wants to be a HC

Great at coaching WRs, WRs all showed steady improvement

Great at working with QBs

Inspires confidence

Will give as god as he gets to NY Media

Basically the two people could not say enough good things about Monken. They LOVE him.

Only not being considered for Bucs drive because owner committed to not hiring from within again

Brilliant, super motivated, aggressive, great, great, great, loyal, AND extremely good? Well, sign me up boys.

1 hour ago, Stonehands said:

If you remember Winston was suspended and Fitz started the first 4 games and had I think 4 consecutive games with more than 400 yards.  so even if he was later stripped of his play calling that doesnt change my opinion of him

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Inflated by a week 1 fluke win over the Saints whose defense played horribly and two games facing the falcons bottom ranked D

Stop.  Just admit you were wrong.  You cant justify your statement with this BS.  Every team played some teams with sh*tty defenses.  It tends to even out over 16 games.  And when they did well against a great defense, its "flukey"????  

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Sure, but I'm sure you could say that about the Rams and KC too.  They had a couple of cupcakes and beat up on a team or two.

That's the league - really is impressive the numbers they put up with Fitz and Winston,

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Those are all good points too but Monken doesn’t even need that excuse. #3 offense in the league. Phil doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Tampa was #1 in passing offense...

With Fitz and Winston - what can Sam do...

Please make this the guy!

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

You have excuses for everything. And they are usually lame.  3rd best offense and with a faux running game. And play calling was given back after koetter sht the bed when he took it for a game.

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Buccaneers head coach Dirk Koetter fired defensive coordinator Mike Smith earlier this season and he stripped offensive coordinator Todd Monken of one of his chief responsibilities on Sunday.

In his press conference following Sunday’s 16-3 loss to Washington, Koetter said that he took offensive playcalling duties back from Monken during the game. Monken took over those duties this season and held them through the first eight games before Koetter stepped back in.

Those reasons may include self-preservation as Koetter’s team is now 3-6 after opening the year with wins in their first two games. The playcalling resulted in 501 yards of offense for the Bucs, but four turnovers and two missed field goals left them with little to show for it on the scoreboard.

6 days later...

Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Dirk Koetter's days of running the offense lasted one game.

Koetter said on his weekly radio show that he will return the play-calling duties to offensive coordinator Todd Monken for Sunday's matchup at the New York Giants.

In Koetter's first game calling plays, the Buccaneers were held to a season-low point total in last week's 16-3 home loss to the Washington Redskins.

Tampa Bay did pile up 501 yards of total offense but committed four turnovers in the loss. Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who threw for 406 yards, was guilty of three of those miscues.

Koetter said his reasoning for running the offense was week was to ensure the Buccaneers established their running game in an attempt to keep their beleaguered defense off the field.

Tampa Bay leads the league in offensive yards per game (452.8) and its passing game also tops the NFL with an average of 361.2 yards despite rotating quarterbacks Fitzpatrick and Jameis Winston.

Such production is a big reason why Koetter has no issues relinquishing the play-calling and handing the keys to the offense back to Monken.

"He's done an excellent job calling the plays this season," said Koetter of Monken. "We have a process that we go through every week. I just think that's the best thing for us for this particular game. We'll see how it goes. But Monk's done a great job all season. I have no issues at all with the way Monk has called plays."

Sounds like Koetter wanted more running. Monken has the Tampa Bay offense airing it out early in the year and being very successful with Fitz.

So the criticism of Monken was that he was using too little time while gaining too many yards and scoring points???

The defense had just sat down and boom, the offense went 80 yards so the D needed to take the field again and was tired???

Thus, change the offense! lol 

9 hours ago, tdoublee said:

I'd cosign if means Adam Humphries will follow him here. I like how that kid developed in his system. Impressive.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Interesting. I'm used to our defensive head coaches coming over and bringing defensive players so I never even thought about this. 

I think this is the guy I'm leaning towards. I think he and Boyer would be good, and I think everyone here all wants Greg Williams but I am not sure how far fetched that'd be. A forum could dream..

9 hours ago, Green DNA said:

If Monken was so good, the Bucs would have hired him. The commitment to not hiring from within seems a bit short sighted for such an apparently fantastic candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Sound like fat Rex! Baltimore didn't even think enough about him to give him the HC gig, so the dummy Jets do.  That turned out great!

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

6 days later...

20190108_171903.jpg.9b3f1dbb1c991ef6599d016e4adf5741.jpg

6 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

Sound like fat Rex! Baltimore didn't even think enough about him to give him the HC gig, so the dummy Jets do.  That turned out great!

Untrue.  In fact, by most accounts, they liked Rex a lot - just chose to go with Harbaugh - they made the right choice.

5 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

If you remember Winston was suspended and Fitz started the first 4 games and had I think 4 consecutive games with more than 400 yards.  so even if he was later stripped of his play calling that doesnt change my opinion of him

He was stopped of his duties for one game and the reason was his offense was too prolific and put too much pressure on the defense.

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Gregg Williams.

If they sign Monken Jets will be hard pressed to find an established DC.  This is going to a high flying type offense that's going to put a lot of stress on the defense - exact opposite of what we've done for the past 20 years.

no matter how good he is - they're going to give up a lot of points.

53 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If they sign Monken Jets will be hard pressed to find an established DC.  This is going to a high flying type offense that's going to put a lot of stress on the defense - exact opposite of what we've done for the past 20 years.

the Jets already give up lots of points

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Defense was awful this year. And what they've done over the last 20 years has mostly sucked; spare Parcells/Groh and Mangini Jets have  pretended they can win NFL games without scoring more than 10 points. 

12 hours ago, Green DNA said:

If Monken was so good, the Bucs would have hired him. The commitment to not hiring from within seems a bit short sighted for such an apparently fantastic candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You can that about any candidate.  Of the Packers thought McCarthy was that good.....if the Dolphins thought....blah, blah. 

Also, I don't really get the idea of who we hire being dependent of what the Tampa Bay Bucs think of anyone

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Based on what?  Him being an OC?

What nonsense.

Archived