Want to be sold on Monken?

JohnnyLV

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monken is my preferred candidate. He’s as innovative on offense as any coach we’ve brought in, seems to be a normal person, has HC experience, has NFL experience, and his players seem to like him. There’s nothing about Monken the really worries me. Even with a coach like McCarthy, I’m worried the NFL has lapped him. I get a Bates vibe. Bates was supposedly innovative and then he wasn’t. The other guys feel like shots in the dark.

29 minutes ago, CTM said:

44min!? Cliff notes? 

Cliff notes:

Really smart

Super motivated, well respected

Slightly quirky personality that everyone responds to

Great leader

Very engaging in interviews

Brilliant at adapting a system to the players he is working with

Transfrormed Dirk's offense to something much greater

GREAT play caller

Aggressive and extremely good at  scheming receivers open

Loyal, transformed his college team but left not only because he wants to be HC, but because he couldnt pay his coordinators more

Wants to be a HC

Great at coaching WRs, WRs all showed steady improvement

Great at working with QBs

Inspires confidence

Will give as god as he gets to NY Media

Basically the two people could not say enough good things about Monken. They LOVE him.

Only not being considered for Bucs drive because owner committed to not hiring from within again

23 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Monken is my preferred candidate. He’s as innovative on offense as any coach we’ve brought in, seems to be a normal person, has HC experience, has NFL experience, and his players seem to like him. There’s nothing about Monken the really worries me. Even with a coach like McCarthy, I’m worried the NFL has lapped him. I get a Bates vibe. Bates was supposedly innovative and then he wasn’t. The other guys feel like shots in the dark.

Bates was innovative.  Shoulda  seen him out on the Trail.

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Cliff notes:

Really smart

Great leader

GREAT play caller

Loyal, transformed his college team but left not only because he wants to be HC, but because he couldnt pay his coordinators more

Wants to be a HC

Inspires confidence

Basically the two people could not say enough good things about Monken. They LOVE him.

Only not being considered for Bucs drive because owner committed to not hiring from within again

Wait.  What does that look like?  How would we even recognize it?

3 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

If Monken was so good, the Bucs would have hired him. The commitment to not hiring from within seems a bit short sighted for such an apparently fantastic candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It's a valid concern. However I think the Bucs' ownership is worried about the optics of promoting from within since they had already done so when they hired Koetter.

13 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Cliff notes:

Really smart

Great leader

GREAT play caller

Wants to be a HC

Inspires confidence

Thanks for the recap.  I can admit, I'm not totally in love with any candidate this year, but Monken definitely falls on the positive side for me, and is one I'm certainly interested in.  Most of the things that continue to come up about him also seem to be positive, which just reassures my initial thoughts.  I can get the interest of some wanting a guy with past NFL HC experience, but beyond that he definitely seems to have everything else you'd be looking for.  Definitely wouldn't be unhappy if he ends up being the guy.

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I like Monken a lot. He’s my top choice after McCarthy...here’s the thing.

i need to know why the Bucs didn’t give him the HC job. That’s important.

I don't think it's anything worth getting too hung up on, particularly when you're talking about a fellow team with a less than stellar track record in their decision-making.  The Jets interviewed 6-year internal candidate Anthony Lynn a few years back, and instead opted for Todd Bowles.  Anyone really think that the Jets had any great inside info that made it the right decision?  No, didn't think so.

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I don't think it's anything worth getting too hung up on, particularly when you're talking about a fellow team with a less than stellar track record in their decision-making.  The Jets interviewed 6-year internal candidate Anthony Lynn a few years back, and instead opted for Todd Bowles.  Anyone really think that the Jets had any great inside info that made it the right decision?  No, didn't think so.

True and fair enough. I can roll with Monken, I really like him as a coach. Today is the interview, I hope he impresses. I want McCarthy out of all of them but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. I’d definitely prefer Monken, at this point, over Rhule and KK.

13 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Cliff notes:

Really smart

Great leader

GREAT play caller

Wants to be a HC

Inspires confidence

SOLD

I like Monken.  I just see it as too big a step to expect KK or Rhule to come into New York with minimal NFL exposure and fix this mess. Especially attached to an iffy GM.  IMO even Monken with decent NFL experience would need a Wade Phillips NFL lifer type to help run the team and assemble a staff... 

11 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I like Monken a lot. He’s my top choice after McCarthy...here’s the thing.

i need to know why the Bucs didn’t give him the HC job. That’s important.

Fair concer. With how that offense performed this year you'd think he'd almost be a lock for the job. I wonder if they had known Arians was a lock from the beginning? Maybe they think someone with more experience can get more out of Winston? Idk seems weird but he's my #1 pick for the job so I'm hoping it happens

4 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I like Monken.  I just see it as too big a step to expect KK or Rhule to come into New York with minimal NFL exposure and fix this mess. Especially attached to an iffy GM.  IMO even Monken with decent NFL experience would need a Wade Phillips NFL lifer type to help run the team and assemble a staff... 

I'd imagine he'd have little trouble assembling his own offensive staff, but I agree an assist on the defensive side would be key.

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'd be happy with Monken. He was my second choice behind McCarthy.

Damn, you have pulled a complete 180 with Mike McCarthy. Glad to have you on the McCarthy bandwagon. I remember you hated the idea of Mike McCarthy as the next Jets head coach...It was John Harbaugh or Matt LaFleur for you. It will be interesting to see how good Matt LaVay does in Green Bay. 

Of the names I've heard reporting, he may rate 2nd behind McCarthy for the various factors and experience I prefer in our next Head Coach.

This really isn't a very good year for finding an experienced Head Coach once you exclude or miss out on McCarthy.

I'm still convinced chasing the "next McVay" is a fools errand, a reach-failure waiting to happen.  But the options I would be comfortable with aren't exactly many.  As so often seems the case, the Jets appear to be chasing trends, and I fear we're going to wind up with what usually happens when you chase trends after the fact.

I wish I knew who the right choice is.  But we need to right this ship.  IMO that's going to require someone with gravitas, experience, strength of personality, discipline and accountability, and a record of having actually done something of note in this league, esp. winning.  A small-school college "players coach" coach or coordinator with no or limited pro-level resume trying to prove "his system" works at the pros seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

So Monken may be the only available decent #2 option, despite missing a goodly portion of what I want.  

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

True and fair enough. I can roll with Monken, I really like him as a coach. Today is the interview, I hope he impresses. I want McCarthy out of all of them but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. I’d definitely prefer Monken, at this point, over Rhule and KK.

He's probably my favorite as well.

I also heard that the Bucs decided against an internal hire at the beginning of this process after hiring their OC last time didn't work out (the coach they just fired was thier OC the year prior)

Archived