Matt Rhule speaks as per Cimini.

joewilly12

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the reason why this explanation fails the bullcrap detector is because it's bullcrap 

the Jets made it about the staff it was about a buyout from Baylor that would never happen 

Maybe, but why would they even interview him then? If they didn't want to buyout, why go through the hassle and set yourself up for criticism?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

dude I did not go to Penn State. Cmon man. 

However it is a fact anyone who is recruited to play LB at Penn State and then wins one of those jobs is a tough SOB. it's pretty much all they do in Happy Valley besides touch little boys.

Ok my bad. I’m still baffled though. Rhule wasn’t qualified. Darnold’s going to thrive with Gase. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

the spin around here is dizzying. 

Apparently, the brain trust of Chris Johnson and Mac know more about assembling a staff than Matt Rhule.

Based on what? The defrosting and reintroduction of Jeremy Bates to modern society, a la Encino Man?  

Loved that movie !

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Time to turn the page on this topic.

My gut tells me we'll be talking about his name the way Pete C's gets floated around in the - "what if--" capacity... but it is what it is, and it's time to get behind Gase and hope it works out. There's kindling there for a good show on offense, i'm gonna pray to Jet__Engine1's version of god that it works out that way. 

2 hours ago, Dinamite said:

I like Rhule, and I understand his desire to pick the staff.  But I also understand the Jets ensuring that Darnold has a good coach given the lack of experience with Rhule in NFL.  If Rhule's option was Kevin Gilbride's son for OC, (TE coach for bears currently) as was rumored that may not have sufficed. 

If you want to pick his staff, you should have never considered him in the 1st place.

16 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

If Dabo Swinney ever left Clemson, Rhule would be my first and only call.  Some guys are X’s and O’s guys and some are culture changers and program builders.  Rhule is exactly that, a culture changer.  

Mine would be Pat Fitzgerald, but we are on the same page here from a philosophic point of view.

My concern with Gase begins with a lack of professionalism and some baffling sideline behavior. He scratches his neck like a weirdo when things don't work out.

Yes he is a good possibility very good qb coach or oc. But his offense was statistically garbage. As a hc he was flawed and while I am all for second chances, he never had time away from the game to reflect or grow. I'm not convinced that the hc should be be calling plays not everyone is Andy Reid or Mcvay.

If rhule had too much preference on his hires how is it better gase has no preference on the staff? Or he wanted guys Mac approved? How is that good?

Ok my bad. I’m still baffled though. Rhule wasn’t qualified. Darnold’s going to thrive with Gase. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

My concern with Gase begins with a lack of professionalism and some baffling sideline behavior. He scratches his neck like a weirdo when things don't work out.

Yes he is a good possibility very good qb coach or oc. But his offense was statistically garbage. As a hc he was flawed and while I am all for second chances, he never had time away from the game to reflect or grow. I'm not convinced that the hc should be be calling plays not everyone is Andy Reid or Mcvay.

If rhule had too much preference on his hires how is it better gase has no preference on the staff? Or he wanted guys Mac approved? How is that good?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Because Gase knows the division and has 3 years experience as HC.

A 4 win season can't be sold as a learning curve, whereas with Rhule it could. 

So either we win or the incompetent GM goes and takes his Pennington look alike with him. Jets fans win either way. If you view Mac as the biggest problem here and one of the worst GM's in football, this is a way better move imo

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

In this instance I'd trust Matt Rhule to turn this program around. As long as it's not Gilbride SR we all could fall in line (just like we are doing for Gase) and maybe they find an actual QB coach (for a change) 

if they hired Rhule-Gilbride and Chad Pennington to develop Darnold the fans would love it

instead they hired Gase the fans revolted now they are looking at Big name DCs like Williams to smooth it out  

Side note I'm not a huge subscriber of the HC has to call the plays in the game and also do all the other HC jobs at once. Rhule could have turned this thing around they decided they knew better.

The worst part of the Johnsons is they think they know better. And who are they taking advice from? Mac

Other owners don't know football they stay out of the way, these guys want to make an impact. Shoot man i don't sit here trying to invent the Q tip again. Everyone should stick to their core competencies. the Johnson's know nothing about football and think they know everything that's the worst problem with the NY Jets.  

First, it's comical that you think "turning around" Temple is equivalent to turning around an NFL team when the cultures and players involved are completely different.

Second, you didn't answer the question. Rhule wanted a TE coach with no coordinator experience to be the OC and in charge of developing Darnold. Do you think it was wrong of the Jets to say "no" and suggest Monken in that situation?

2 hours ago, CTM said:

He was as long as they could fill his staff for him.

Which is pathetic. How can you trust the guy enough to give him the job but not trust to him decide on his staff.

I will never believe this was anything other than a Mac power play

It's pathetic that the Jets even considered Rhule, who in no way fit the criteria of the HC they needed.

I agree it was a power play by Mac.  Rhule made absolutely no sense for the Jets.  A rookie HC wanting a rookie OC to develop a young franchise QB is absurd.

As you said, if you dont trust him to fill his staff you shouldnt even consider him as your HC

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Maybe. Guy was a risky hire intended to be Mac's puppet who is a boob.

We dodged a bullet which is why I'm happy with Gase as I really thought Rhule was going to be the guy.

I'd have been open to the concept of him or Klingsbury had we been the Ravens or Steelers with a strong organization and talent pool to support them as they learned on the job. Bringing them to this dumpster fire was a sure fire disaster imo

Agreed. 

Rhule does not have a single, discernible NFL HC quality that distinguishes him from any of the other coaching candidates. He's not an offensive guy or a defensive guy because he's never run his own unit. He's never designed an offense or a defense.  He was an Assistant OLine coach for the Giants for 1 year which meant he carried the water bottles for the OLine and collected their dirty uniforms.

He might succeed with a team with an established QB, but I believe that he'll have a lot of trouble convincing a locker room filled with millionaires to listen to what he says simply because he "turned around" a couple of second-rate college programs.

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

If you want to pick his staff, you should have never considered him in the 1st place.

EXACTLY.  Rhule was not qualified for this particular job. That's why I agree with CTM that this was a puppet move by Mac.

5 minutes ago, SMC said:

Agreed. 

Rhule does not have a single, discernible NFL HC quality that distinguishes him from any of the other coaching candidates. He's not an offensive guy or a defensive guy because he's never run his own unit. He's never designed an offense or a defense.  He was an Assistant OLine coach for the Giants for 1 year which meant he carried the water bottles for the OLine and collected their dirty uniforms.

He might succeed with a team with an established QB, but I believe that he'll have a lot of trouble convincing a locker room filled with millionaires to listen to what he says simply because he "turned around" a couple of second-rate college programs.

my first take on this was that they wanted to bring in different types of candidates to get a feel for what they'd bring to the jets.  johnson and mccagnan have never done this before so i can't fault then for being thorough.  in the end they made the right hire.  i do not think mccarthy would have gone well in NY.  

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Rhule doesn't seem to understand that trust in hiring asst. generally comes from NFL-level experience and having alot of legit contacts at the NFL a GM would be comfortable with hiring. 

i like that the jets interviewed different types of candidates, and maybe it helped them realize that even good college coaches may not have the ability to form quality nfl staffs right away.  

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Jets: So, we really like your philosophy and plan and believe you could help lead this franchise going forward....who is it you plan on hiring for your staff?

McCarthy: (pulls out a binder filled with resumes and contacts) "I have multiple highly qualified candidates, all of who have extensive NFL experience that I plan to start calling once you hire me and give me veto power over that idiot over there drinking coffee directly from the urn"..

Todd Monken: I know a few guy currently working as position coaches for various NFL teams who would be excellent candidates for Coordinator positions. I would also like to evaluate your holdover personnel from the prior staff. I'm just honestly really glad to be here.

Kliff: Dude, I'm bringin' Chad and Chet, they're my bros from Tech! Chad slays the V, bro! You guys are gonna love him! Yeah, no, seriously bros, who ya got? Defense? What-ever Grandpa, who ever you want, alright, alright, alright!

Matt Rhule: Well, first, I'm truly blessed for the opportunity to be here and serve. Father God has a plan for me and I'd like the New York Jets to join me on that journey. My staff? Well, Pastor Jeff, a wonderful sermonizer, he coaches the rec league team at Baylors School of Theology. He would be a fantastic Defensive Coordinator. He runs a Masada Scheme. Oh, and you Know Kevin Gilbride? Yeah, but not HIM, his son coaches the Tight Ends in Chicago. Experienced? Absolutely! Hes been ball boy for every team his Dad coached for! Oh, I would absolutely let them run their rooms, I'm not really an Xs and Os guy, I'm more of the CEO...I focus more on fellowship and mentoring wayward 20 year olds.

You forgot...

Gase: *doesn't say a word, just turns around and bends over*

41 minutes ago, SMC said:

EXACTLY.  Rhule was not qualified for this particular job. That's why I agree with CTM that this was a puppet move by Mac.

I mean, is a guy with the draft and free agency record capable of a "puppet move?"  This would literally be Macc's most impressive performance.

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Hey, donnie darko -- you talk about truth while you make it up? How Swayze of you.

Never made a thing up regarding Rhule. I gave an opinion, which you didn't like. No surprise though, after all, you were the one who had a Matt Rhule avatar once you found out the Jets were interviewing him. I've noticed if anything negative is said about Rhule here you get upset and lash out with a buttfumble. The truth is If anyone needs a box of tissues it's you.

Agreed. 

Disagree. Why, because he wasn't an offensive coordinator for two years like McVay?

Check out what McVay's resume vs. Ruhle's. Tell me the difference, McVay wasn't a HC, he did position coaching and obviously OC in NFL. Ruhle was coaching Offense, defense, QB coach and OC in college.

Your point that he wasn't qualified doesn't hold water. I get if you don't like the guy or isn't your choice but he was definitely qualified. So much so I believe he was their 1st choice.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Never made a thing up regarding Rhule. I gave an opinion, which you didn't like. No surprise though, after all, you were the one who had a Matt Rhule avatar once you found out the Jets were interviewing him. I've noticed if anything negative is said about Rhule here you get upset and lash out with a buttfumble. The truth is If anyone needs a box of tissues it's you.

fair point, I do need a tissue or two - i'm dissapointed. Doesnt' mean i'm not embracing Gase and wanting this 100% to work out. Nothing would please me more than to not have to scream at the ceiling due to poor coaching/poor game management etc. 

I'm ripping into a few of you, not cause you're not entitled to your own opinion - obviously this place literally a well of opinions. In fact, we're devoid of objectivity!! ...but it's moronic lack of knowledge that's getting buttfumbled... "dodged a bullet"? Last week you didn't even know who he was, but you're willing to say it was a bullet? (proverbial you, not you specifically).. I'm going to buttfumble uneducated opinions. 

Besides wanting someone with NFL HC experience (totally reasonable preference) 98.56% of the Rhule bashing has been based on rainbows and unicorns.

16 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Disagree. Why, because he wasn't an offensive coordinator for two years like McVay?

Check out what McVay's resume vs. Ruhle's. Tell me the difference, McVay wasn't a HC, he did position coaching and obviously OC in NFL. Ruhle was coaching Offense, defense, QB coach and OC in college.

Your point that he wasn't qualified doesn't hold water. I get if you don't like the guy or isn't your choice but he was definitely qualified. So much so I believe he was their 1st choice.

I disagree with your disagreement.?

McVay is a unique case because he literally grew up in pro football.  His grandfather was one of the greatest GMs in NFL history. 

I said that Rhule was unqualified for the JETS job.  Not saying he wasn't qualified for any other job.  The Jets needed a HC who could develop Darnold and Rhule has no experience in doing that.

As to whether he was the Jets first choice or not, I don't rely on Mac's judgment because we know how atrocious it has been at times.

I disagree with your disagreement.
McVay is a unique case because he literally grew up in pro football.  His grandfather was one of the greatest GMs in NFL history. 
I said that Rhule was unqualified for the JETS job.  Not saying he wasn't qualified for any other job.  The Jets needed a HC who could develop Darnold and Rhule has no experience in doing that.
As to whether he was the Jets first choice or not, I don't rely on Mac's judgment because we know how atrocious it has been at times.
Fair enough. I would say his upringing does have clout in his overall resume.

Archived