Should the Jets Pick Quinnen William with the 3rd Pick in this years Draft?

Gang_Green

Hell no. He looks out of shape to me and he’s what- 20? What is he going to look like in 4 years? Do we really want to give a huge second deal to a fat DT? That’s what people don’t consider with this pick- it needs to be a position where we are ok paying top market dollar for a second contract. DL is the scariest position to re-sign so essentially we are taking a 4 year player with a top 3 pick. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think this guy turns out to be overrated.  

Look at the shape Aaron Donald is in.  Ed Oliver is similar.  

I don't think you can ignore physical condition at the next level. 

Forget this guy.  I doubt he’s going to be dominant at the highest level.  Virtually everyone coming out of Alabama comes with an inflated performance because of the talent around them.

With the Rules the way they are now not only does it make no sense to draft interior D linemen, unless their name is Aaron Donald (who actually put up Sack totals as though he were a great Edge Rusher, not to mention all the plays he blows up behind the line), it doesn’t even make sense to make a CB a Top 10 pick anymore.

It’s all about Offense and holding the opposition to FGs as much as you can, because they’re going to score too.

Maccagnan either never got the memo, is too stupid to understand, had his arm twisted by Bowles, or it has been a combination of those three things....but all that has to change...NOW.

The ONLY Defensive player I’ll be happy drafting up high is someone who is a bonafide Sack artist and who will produce right away, any other position on Defense is trying to be too cute.  Something the Jets have been guilty of over many many administrations.

I’m confident that Gregg William’s pinky knows more about Defense than Bowles and his best pal basically “no show jobber” Rogers COMBINED.

Darnold will light up the scoreboard with more help management gives him with talent around him.  He was lighting it up virtually ALL BY HIMSELF the last 4 weeks of the season (PFF had him rated as the Highest ranked QB in the NFL over the last quarter of the season, imagine how good he’d be with just 1/2 a team around him?).  The D will be an afterthought.  Darnold will win lots of games.  Like I said before I think the Jets make the playoffs next year as a Wildcard.

If not Josh Allen or a dropped Bosa...Offense please.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Quinnen Williams had 71 tackles last year.  Of those 19.5 were tackles for a loss, including 8 sacks.  As a redshirt sophomore.  Aaron Donald entered the NFL after his senior year.  His sophomore production does  not match Williams numbers. This means that about a quarter of the total tackles made by Williams were made behind the line of scrimmage or resulted in a sack.  That is dominant.  As for "Alabama Players", in the last 5 drafts, they had 44 players drafted,  including 12 in the first round, and 11 in the second round. This is the best in college football.  Your desire to draft offense doesn't justify taking one at #3 overall if there is no worthy prospect there. Allen or Bosa would also make sense. But so does Williams.

He only played one year as full time starter right? Doesn't the lack of experience concern you (for such a high pick)?

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Yes. When I think about what this team really needs. The first thing that comes to mind is a defensive tackle.

Wake up people.

Have you seen the current players under contract for next year? 

What high priority position group is weaker? 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

He only played one year as full time starter right? Doesn't the lack of experience concern you (for such a high pick)?

Sam Darnold only played one year of High School Football as a Quarterback.  He then played two years as a college quarterback. That is three years of "starters" experience, at the Quarterback Position, before ascending to a starting quarterback slot  in the NFL.  He too was a #3 pick.  So, the answer would be no,  I'm not concerned with the inexperience, I'm more impressed with the potential and youth.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Have you seen the current players under contract for next year? 

What high priority position group is weaker? 

I don't care. Find a DT somewhere else, not with our top 3 pick. Those type of guys pop in free agency every now and then.

Find a guy to support your young QB or at leastttt a pass rusher. 

• Upvote 2

The Jets have a lot of needs both on offense and defense. The major necessity on both sides is a oline and a pass rushing OLB.  The Jets have the 3rd pick in the draft, right now they can do a lot of things with that pick. They can trade that pick for more picks or make that selection.

If they do make that selection they should take OLB Josh Allen, this fills a need that the Jets were missing for years since John Abraham a pass rushing OLB.  The Jets need to pressure the QB and the Dline can't do it by themselves against a team with a good offensive line. It has happened and it will if the Jets don't get the pass rushing OLB that they need. Gregg Williams is not a miracle man that can fix anything and this position is very important,

But if the Jets do trade down depending where they land then they should select an offensive lineman. Yes the Jets need to protect Darnold but there is no olineman worth picking in the top 10. Trading down for more picks is the smart thing to do because they can gain more picks for this year and for maybe next year. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Quinnen Williams had 71 tackles last year.  Of those 19.5 were tackles for a loss, including 8 sacks.  As a redshirt sophomore.  Aaron Donald entered the NFL after his senior year.  His sophomore production does  not match Williams numbers. This means that about a quarter of the total tackles made by Williams were made behind the line of scrimmage or resulted in a sack.  That is dominant.  As for "Alabama Players", in the last 5 drafts, they had 44 players drafted,  including 12 in the first round, and 11 in the second round. This is the best in college football.  Your desire to draft offense doesn't justify taking one at #3 overall if there is no worthy prospect there. Allen or Bosa would also make sense. But so does Williams.

Ok.  I’ll admit you know more than I do on this subject.  If he’s going to be dominant than fine...draft him.

I also agree with you that you HAVE TO draft Defense over Offense if the talent level is as skewed up at the top of the draft as many people think.

I’m just wary of DTs.  I really don’t want the team stuck debating as to whether to give the guy another contract after the first one is up.

Drafting ANOTHER Leonard Williams type at 3, or even someone just somewhat better than him, would be an absolute travesty.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Ok.  I’ll admit you know more than I do on this subject.  If he’s going to be dominant than fine...draft him.

I also agree with you that you HAVE TO draft Defense over Offense if the talent level is as skewed up at the top of the draft as many people think.

I’m just wary of DTs.  I really don’t want the team stuck debating as to whether to give the guy another contract after the first one is up.

Drafting ANOTHER Leonard Williams type at 3, or even someone just somewhat better than him, would be an absolute travesty.

My first preference is to trade down, of course.  I also understand the trepidation in drafting "another Defensive Tackle".  All thing considered I'd be more inclined to take a Defensive End or Rushing Linebacker.  I'm not sure Josh Allen is that transcendental  player that we need at the end. Bosa has a few question marks as well. Quinnen Williams is not your typical "run stuffing" defensive tackle.  He moves the line of scrimmage into the backfield.  He pushes the pocket from the inside and makes plays. He makes plays in the backfield.  He sacks the quarterback.  He will make Leonard Williams better.  There is nothing "typical"  about this kid.  He can play.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, varjet said:

Remember how Mac avoided Lattimore because of Dee Miliner?  Mac will not draft another DT?  The press will go bananas, and it also makes the Leo pick look bad. 

If he is stuck at 3, he picks Ferrell over Quinnen. 

If he did that it'd be a huge mistake, and I'd be first in line at the "FIRE MACC" thread.  Ferrell is a nice player but not at #3.  He is a little limited, and is blockable.  This is not going to happen.

42 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

My first preference is to trade down, of course.  I also understand the trepidation in drafting "another Defensive Tackle".  All thing considered I'd be more inclined to take a Defensive End or Rushing Linebacker.  I'm not sure Josh Allen is that transcendental  player that we need at the end. Bosa has a few question marks as well. Quinnen Williams is not your typical "run stuffing" defensive tackle.  He moves the line of scrimmage into the backfield.  He pushes the pocket from the inside and makes plays. He makes plays in the backfield.  He sacks the quarterback.  He will make Leonard Williams better.  There is nothing "typical"  about this kid.  He can play.

Ok then I’m good with drafting him.

Also, I have no confidence in any Maccagnan draft pick lower than 3rd pick in the Nation..,ANY round.  I don’t want to see a trade down.  I would with a real GM.  That’s why it was a huge mistake keeping this guy so the owners could save a little face and money.

11 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Ok then I’m good with drafting him.

Also, I have no confidence in any Maccagnan draft pick lower than 3rd pick in the Nation..,ANY round.  I don’t want to see a trade down.  I would with a real GM.  That’s why it was a huge mistake keeping this guy so the owners could save a little face and money.

You are on an island and needed surgery on a life threatening condition. There is only one surgeon on the island.  There is no time and no avenue to get you to another doctor. This doctor has killed a few patients, but recently saved a few lives doing this procedure.  Do you trust the doctor to do the surgery, on the chance he can save your life, or do you ask him for a band aid and die.  This is where we are with Mike Maccagnan.  Until we get another "doctor" he is going to be doing the surgery.  Hope the patient lives. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

You are on an island and needed surgery on a life threatening condition. There is only one surgeon on the island.  There is no time and no avenue to get you to another doctor. This doctor has killed a few patients, but recently saved a few lives doing this procedure.  Do you trust the doctor to do the surgery, on the chance he can save your life, or do you ask him for a band aid and die.  This is where we are with Mike Maccagnan.  Until we get another "doctor" he is going to be doing the surgery.  Hope the patient lives. ?

Decent analogy.

Unfortunately, and I go back a pretty long way with this team, he’s hands down the worst GM they’ve ever had.  I challenge anyone to name a worse one.

And the worst part is not even that he is awful at judging talent, not debatable anymore, the sample size is too large, it’s that it appears that he has no coherent plan on how to even build a team.

Sometimes it feels like they just grabbed a guy off the street whose entire background in football  was watching 2 games on TV, and nothing more, and made him GM.

But it’s really getting old complaining about this guy, although at this point it’s just blowing off steam and hoping it will be therapeutic.

i want a new GM as soon as possible, but have no control over when that happens.  At least Bowles is gone, and that’s a big reason why I project them to be a playoff team next year, but most of that is due to them lucking into Darnold, but if Bowles was still around, even with Johnny Unitas in his prime, he couldn’t make the playoffs.

• Sympathy 1