Thoughts on Jets backup QB

Thai Jet

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping we might get someone like Case Keenum. We know he can start and do a credible job but he'll prob end up as starter in DC. I'd shoot higher than Glennon maybe someone like Teddy if he doesn't get a starting job and it looks like he won't. I'd pay more for quality esp since Darnold missed 3 games with an injury in 2018. Or if he gets in a slump and we are in contention they could start someone like Teddy and be competitive. As for McCown I liked him in 2017 but he played poorly in his starts last year and looked old. I wouldn't bring him back. The bottom line going into '19 is the Jets should go into it with the idea they can make the playoffs. And they have the cap money to buy talent.

I have a feeling David Webb will be the backup. They'll bring in a vet on a non guaranteed contract and pre-season will determine the backup. I think they'd like it to be Webb bc he's cheap and can be under control for the next two years. Maybe Gase can develop him as well.

If McCown wants to stick around, offer him an Offensive Assistant Coaching position, hes obviously far more qualified to coach Sam than Dowell Loghands, but there's no reason to have McCown take up a roster spot or another dime of Cap money.

Try to see if Webb can develop as a long term backup in the offense, and bring in a camp arm floater type (Aaron Murray?) for additional reps and to push for the 2 spot. Keep Asswiper away, guy is a tool. 

45 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on a backup QB for Sam. Bring back McCown on a much less $$ contract. Sign someone like Mike Glennon etc ?

I would prefer someone who actually has a chance to win a game

Got a feeling it's going to be Osweiller, and Webb.  Webb is going to be the wild card.  If he's developed sufficiently, he'll be the backup going forward.  Osweiller is the reasonably priced security blanket.  Has a history with Gase, his offense, and has had a modicum of success with him. He'll be here for the season, that's my feeling.

McCown's time as a viable backup option has passed.  That was painfully obvious last year. The idea of retaining him in some coaching capacity is a sentimental one.  Gase has his own coaching staff, and his own ideas.  He was brought here to develop Sam.  Let him do his job.  It's time to move on from Josh McCown.  Thanks for everything.

54 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on a backup QB for Sam. Bring back McCown on a much less $$ contract. Sign someone like Mike Glennon etc ?

teddy-bridgewater-nfl-2014-nfl-draft4.jp

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm totally gob smacked at how many people in here would be okay with brock oswiler.

This. He is awful and this board would melt down if he ever had to get in a game for us. Have you Brock supporters actually watched him play last year? 

I don’t see the point on signing McCown. He’s old, he’s not very good and he doesn’t know the new offense any better then Darnold. They need to sign someone that’s familiar with Gase’s offense and someone that’s going to be able to carry the team if Darnold gets injured. 

Davis Webb and a veteran that knows Gase's system.

If released, Ryan Tannehill as I don't think he will find somewhere to compete for a starting job.  

Alternative would be David Fales.

Last resort is to draft a developmental QB like Tyree Jaskson, Easton Stick, Gardner Minshew, or Trace McSorley.  Hopefully a long term backup or to flip them in a couple years.

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Gase seemed to like Brock Osweiler, and a few posters have mentioned that this makes sense, hard to argue if the money is right, can't pay Josh any near $10m again

That is the biggest thing for me, just can't pay a limited QB 10 million. If the Jets didn't sign McCown last year, who was going to sign him? How he got that much $ I will never know.

Bring in Brock to compete with Webb for the # 2 job.  Cut the weaker option.  

This isn't the year to be spending heavily on a backup option.  If needed, we can grab someone off the couch after the season starts, at which point his full season salary won't be guaranteed.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bring in Brock to compete with Webb for the # 2 job.  Cut the weaker option.  

This isn't the year to be spending heavily on a backup option.  If needed, we can grab someone off the couch after the season starts, at which point his full season salary won't be guaranteed.

I'd be OK with that. With Brock of Glennon I don't think we're looking at big $$ anyway.

Just now, Thai Jet said:

I'd be OK with that. With Brock of Glennon I don't think we're looking at big $$ anyway.

Glennon comes with a pedigree as having been an effective starter for a short time and as a former 3rd round pick.  I don't think he'd come cheap.

33 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That is the biggest thing for me, just can't pay a limited QB 10 million. If the Jets didn't sign McCown last year, who was going to sign him? How he got that much $ I will never know.

josh and sam are a  " Good Team "  ?..

b4c14c6dee824d38b56877238a89e17d.jpg?wid

3 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Got a feeling it's going to be Osweiller, and Webb.  Webb is going to be the wild card.  If he's developed sufficiently, he'll be the backup going forward.  Osweiller is the reasonably priced security blanket.  Has a history with Gase, his offense, and has had a modicum of success with him. He'll be here for the season, that's my feeling.

McCown's time as a viable backup option has passed.  That was painfully obvious last year. The idea of retaining him in some coaching capacity is a sentimental one.  Gase has his own coaching staff, and his own ideas.  He was brought here to develop Sam.  Let him do his job.  It's time to move on from Josh McCown.  Thanks for everything.

This. If Gase wants to bring him back as a QBC, fine. Pay him another $10MM for the year to do just that for all I care.

Players should be on the roster, not coaches. Besides, Darnold doesn't come across as the type who needs a mentor to teach him how to study, how to make time for this & that, steer him from acting like a child, etc. 

Archived