Redskins "very much intrigued by Haskins" Jets twist

Scott Dierking

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pac said:

Love that the Redskins are being vocal..  It might even be a ploy to get the Giants nervous.  The Giants can't risk the Skins trading up with us or the Gruden brothers colluding and arranging a trade with the 4th pick.

Either way it's virtually impossible that a trade gets done before draft night.  A team would be stupid to move up to 3 and leave open the possibility of getting leap-frogged by a trade with SF.

I'm sure Macc is going through every scenario so when they're on the clock they can let the Giants, Skins, or any other QB needy team know exactly what they'd need from them to give up the 3rd pick.

Hopefully we can the Giants 2 first rounders and their 2nd.  I don't want them to go to 15 unless it's an absolute haul.

I could be totally wrong, but I don't get the impression that the Giants are taking a QB. 

My hunch is that they go all in on Eli again this year and find his replacement in next year's draft. 

Edit: Why would the Giants have brought Eli back (including letting him collect his 5 million dollar roster bonus a few days ago) if they were going to trade up for his replacement (Giving away a ton of draft capital in the process)? That just doesn't make any sense to me. 

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I could be totally wrong, but I don't get the impression that the Giants are taking a QB. 

My hunch is that they go all in on Eli again this year and find his replacement in next year's draft. 

The Giants have that option. 

The Redskins don’t really. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Edit: Why would the Giants have brought Eli back (including letting him collect his 5 million dollar roster bonus a few days ago) if they were going to trade up for his replacement (Giving away a ton of draft capital in the process)? That just doesn't make any sense to me. 

I'd think in their minds they aren't going to be drafting this high again for a while.  If they were in full tank mode they wouldn't have signed Tate.

Haskins has already said he's amenable to sitting for a year and the Giants have said Eli is the starter this year.  Too big of a risk to hope they'll have a high enough pick next year to draft a QB...  Gettleman and Shurmur can't sell another sh-t season with no QB of the future in place.

2 hours ago, cant wait said:

redskins + haskins are a borderline playoff team next year

They already are, in that division.

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Jets + Ed Oliver are a borderline NFL team next year.

People forget, but weren't the Redskins something like 6-3 with a 2 game lead in their division when Smith got hurt?

I know its a reach to expect Haskins to play on Smith's level in his rookie season, but the Redskins have talent, and play in a very weak NFC East. It's not a very high bar, so you could say just about any decent QB makes them at the very least, a "borderline playoff team".

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

I'd think in their minds they aren't going to be drafting this high again for a while.  If they were in full tank mode they wouldn't have signed Tate.

Haskins has already said he's amenable to sitting for a year and the Giants have said Eli is the starter this year.  Too big of a risk to hope they'll have a high enough pick next year to draft a QB...  Gettleman and Shurmur can't sell another sh-t season with no QB of the future to in place.

I mean, I think their fanbase would be fine with a tank year. Everyone knows they need to take a QB at some point. 

They really should have just taken Darnold last year. 

2 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

To Move down to 15 ,  I think it would take Washingtons 1 and 2nd this year a second and third in 2020 and a 3rd in 2021.  It cost the Jets 3 2's to go from 6 to 3.

This isn't enough.

KRL posted basically the exact parameters to get this done fairly.  15 plus their 2nd and one 3rd this year, plus next years 1.

Last years deal with the colts was different for a few reasons.  We had 2 high second rounders, and the colts were staying in the top 6.  Moving from 3 to 15 is a LOT more costly.

Getting a 1 for 2020 is also a massive chip.  Fromm, Tua and Justin Herbert (he will likely be picked later then he would have this year) will likely create a scenario similar to last year where if the Redskins pick is in the top 10, we can deal again and really stockpile low cost players. 

59 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

You do realize that if they are negotiating with us, the closer we get to a deal, the more obvious it becomes that we don't have another trading partner.

Why can't it be that there are multiple teams bidding up the price and we're trying to decide which is the best offer?

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

Why would the NYG want to do that trade ‘right now’ to pick #3 when there are only 2 QBs worth picking there in this draft?

if I’m the Jets I’d love to do the NYG deal for 6 and 17 plus more from next yrs draft right now...before someone jumps to #2 with SF and shuts us out of the trade market altogether...but I’m certain the NYG only make the deal for Haskins and he needs to be there lol

True.  They'd leave themselves open to another team trading to #2.  But to be fair, I said "if true" (which I have no idea if it is true).

12 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This isn't enough.

KRL posted basically the exact parameters to get this done fairly.  15 plus their 2nd and one 3rd this year, plus next years 1.

Last years deal with the colts was different for a few reasons.  We had 2 high second rounders, and the colts were staying in the top 6.  Moving from 3 to 15 is a LOT more costly.

Getting a 1 for 2020 is also a massive chip.  Fromm, Tua and Justin Herbert (he will likely be picked later then he would have this year) will likely create a scenario similar to last year where if the Redskins pick is in the top 10, we can deal again and really stockpile low cost players. 

Exactly. 

Also, MAC somewhat ‘overpaid’ last year to a degree in 2nd rd picks in order to keep our 1st this year which was a good move. 

I’d go   Back from 3 to 15 this year for at a minimum WAS’s 1st, 2nd,3rd this year and next years 1st...and might even ask for a 3 next year to boot. 

26 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

They already are, in that division.

People forget, but weren't the Redskins something like 6-3 with a 2 game lead in their division when Smith got hurt?

I know its a reach to expect Haskins to play on Smith's level in his rookie season, but the Redskins have talent, and play in a very weak NFC East. It's not a very high bar, so you could say just about any decent QB makes them at the very least, a "borderline playoff team".

they lost smith, colt mccoy, and ended up having to play mark sanchez and josh johnson from the AAFL at QB. not to mention they lost derrius guice in camp and 7 OL including both starting guards and their replacements

5 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Exactly. 

Also, MAC somewhat ‘overpaid’ last year to a degree in 2nd rd picks in order to keep our 1st this year which was a good move. 

I’d go   Back from 3 to 15 this year for at a minimum WAS’s 1st, 2nd,3rd this year and next years 1st...and might even ask for a 3 next year to boot. 

I bet your proposed deal with Wash is more of an overpay that what Mac gave the Colts.  Our deal with them was an overpay vs the chart, but in reality, keeping our 1 this year was much more valuable then if we had given up a second last year and our first this year.  Look where we sit now.

Mac's job right now is to make sure that both the Giants and Washington are in this, while also not overplaying his hand and letting one of them deal with SF and get to 2.  Last year, due to Gettleman's idiocy, the Jets knew they could get to 3 and be fine.  This year, if the Giants move this week to 3, they could get leapfrogged by Wash and be left with Drew Lock at 3....not ideal.

9 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I bet your proposed deal with Wash is more of an overpay that what Mac gave the Colts.  Our deal with them was an overpay vs the chart, but in reality, keeping our 1 this year was much more valuable then if we had given up a second last year and our first this year.  Look where we sit now.

Mac's job right now is to make sure that both the Giants and Washington are in this, while also not overplaying his hand and letting one of them deal with SF and get to 2.  Last year, due to Gettleman's idiocy, the Jets knew they could get to 3 and be fine.  This year, if the Giants move this week to 3, they could get leapfrogged by Wash and be left with Drew Lock at 3....not ideal.

I read something yesterday that made a good point, the jets overpaid a bit but indy also agreed to keep the negotiations private therefore shutting the bills out of a bidding war 

7 hours ago, choon328 said:

I would want their 1st, 2nd, both 3rds this year and either a 1st or a 2nd and 3rd next year 

Not going to happen. Be realistic; I want their 6 and their 2nd round pick plus their 2020 #1  and a 2021 second....or an immediate impact player

15 minutes ago, BCJet said:

The problem the NYJ have right now is that they sit at 3, and there’s only 2 top 5 QBs by consensus anyway lol...but I agree wholeheartedly...he can’t ‘overplay’ his hand at least before SF either picks or trades and one of the QBs is still on the board. 

And as a guy who lives in Missouri and sees all Missori games....anyone drafting Lock in the top half of RD 1 is a moron. He’s got all the tools I agree...but he’s more likely to be Blaine Gabbert than a quality NFL QB

honestly, if SF wants to trade, they are truly the team in the Catbird seat, not us. 

58 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What makes you say that? 

You know for a fact that there aren't other teams willing to come to 3 to get him? 

Everything that's being leaked is designed to create fear of loss 

None of it is true 

What is it with the Bosa worshipping? I don’t get it. 
If he so great, why will he still be there at #3? Is everyone believing that he’s such a sure fire success story in the NFL that he’s now worth multiple 1’s, 2’s and 3’s before he’s played a down in the NFL?

For me it’s about the futile effort the Jets have had drafting a damn rush LB since Abraham. Now there may be one at 3, it would be difficult for me to pass up on even with additional picks but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you watched the same thing I watched on NFL network last night when Willie McGinist was talking about Bosa. Sounded anything but sold on him being as great as many feel. Said he's not even in his top 2-3 D players in this draft.

I recall some people were talking about his brother as well until he got on the field..

Since we're all talking about gutting the Redskins in this trade, in addition to all the picks, maybe they can throw in Brandon Scherff (the OG they drafted over Leonard Williams).

That’s a guy they could get as a roster player but wasn’t he hurt last year?

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Everything that's being leaked is designed to create fear of loss 

None of it is true 

Of course. I wasn't referring to that. I was just saying that a team that really wants Haskins will trade up to 1-2-3 to get him.

Whether that's the Giants or the fish or the skins. One of them will make a big move. 

In any trade with the Giants or Redskins, I want their #1 next year because there's a good chance that will be picking somewhere in the top 10 in 2020.

With the amount of high quality QBs coming through in 2020, we could be in the same position to fleece another team in 2020 with an Xtra first.

If that miracle were to happen, they could be the legitimate turning point for the jets. The kind of trade the cowboys made to change their fortunes for years And years.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

No. Is that a thing?

I remember it being the big knock on melvin ingram when he came out but he’ll probably be fine. I think because of aaron donald it kind of opens the door a bit more on smaller nuggety inside rushers that can play low and create leverage on OL. he might strictly be a 3T but I’d be curious if to see how he would do as an edge too

Last year the Jets paid a 40% premium to move up to 3. So here's what I want from the Redskins and Giants in a trade.

Jets

#3 Pick - 2200

40% premium - 880

Total - 3080

Redskins

#15 - 1050

#46 - 440

#76 - 210

#96 - 116

2020 1st - 430 (Worth 1 rd less)

2021 1st - 430 (Worth 1rd less)

Total - 2776 pts

Giants

#6 - 1700

#17 - 950

#37 - 430-530 OR 2020 1st round pick

Total - 3080-3180

I would rather take the Redskins deal bc it would give us 6 picks in the first 2 days which could really help this team a lot immediately. You could also package a couple of 3rds to move back into the 2nd round. It would give them a lot of flexibility in the draft. Plus getting the additional first round picks in 2020, 2021 would also help a lot. That's potentially 2 Top 10-15 picks in those years. It frees them up to either use those picks as trade capital or for an impact player in the draft.

Archived