Bored: 10 Very Unlikely, but Possible Outside the Box Picks at #3

Sarge4Tide

I, and just about everyone else, thinks the Jets will select Nick Bosa, Josh Allen, or Quinnen Williams if they stay at #3

BUT, what if there was a draft day surprise and the Jets stayed at #3 and picked someone else?  It probably won't happen, but what if it does?  Here are the 10 most likely outside the box picks at #3 in my humble opinion

1. Rashan Gary, DL, Michigan
    Freakish athlete who could be more of a scheme fit in Gregg Williams' defense than Josh Allen
    Chance He is the Jets Pick at #3:  8%
  2. Jawan Taylor, OL, Florida
    Seems to have emerged as the #1 offensive lineman in the draft and the Jets need offensive lineman
    Chance He is the Jets Pick at #3:  5%
  3. Brian Burns, OLB, Florida State
    Flying up a lot of mock drafts after strong combine - seen as scheme versatile and NFL ready
    Chance He is the Jets Pick at #3:  4%
  4. Clelin Ferrill, DE, Clemson
    A hot name for possible #1 pick in the Fall, had a great senior year, didn't work out at the combine, still a HOSS
    Chance He is the Jets Pick at #3:  3%
  5. Ed Oliver, DT, Houston
    Reminds some people of Aaron Donald.  Aaron Donald is good. Might be a bit of a "tweener" if Jets are staying with a 3-4
    Chance He is the Jets Pick at #3:  1%
  6. Andre Dillard, OL, Washington State
    Dubbed the best pass blocker in the draft and a potential all pro at left tackle.  Should go in the Top 10
  7. Devin White, LB, LSU
    Jets don't need an inside backer, but White is a physical freak and highly productive - Jamal Adams would approve of this pick
  8. TJ Hockenson, TE, Iowa
    Tight Ends don't get picked at #3, do they?  Maybe not, but Sam Darnold throwing to Hockenson and Chris Herndon for 10 years sounds good
    Chance He is the Jets Pick at #3:  <1%
  9. Montez Sweat, OLB, Mississippi State
    He's a monster, but he recently was diagnosed with heart issues.  If he gets the OK from doctors before the draft, he's a Top 10 pick for sure
  10. DK Metcalf, WR, Mississippi
    If you want to help Sam Darnold, drafting the next Calvin Johnson might be a good idea

7 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I, and just about everyone else, thinks the Jets will select Nick Bosa, Josh Allen, or Quinnen Williams if they stay at #3

BUT, what if there was a draft day surprise and the Jets stayed at #3 and picked someone else?  It probably won't happen, but what if it does?  Here are the 10 most likely outside the box picks at #3 in my humble opinion

Freakish athlete who could be more of a scheme fit in Gregg Williams' defense than Josh Allen
    Seems to have emerged as the #1 offensive lineman in the draft and the Jets need offensive lineman
    Flying up a lot of mock drafts after strong combine - seen as scheme versatile and NFL ready
    A hot name for possible #1 pick in the Fall, had a great senior year, didn't work out at the combine, still a HOSS
    Reminds some people of Aaron Donald.  Aaron Donald is good. Might be a bit of a "tweener" if Jets are staying with a 3-4
    Dubbed the best pass blocker in the draft and a potential all pro at left tackle.  Should go in the Top 10
  7. Devin White, LB, LSU
    Jets don't need an inside backer, but White is a physical freak and highly productive - Jamal Adams would approve of this pick
    Tight Ends don't get picked at #3, do they?  Maybe not, but Sam Darnold throwing to Hockenson and Chris Herndon for 10 years sounds good
    He's a monster, but he recently was diagnosed with heart issues.  If he gets the OK from doctors before the draft, he's a Top 10 pick for sure
    If you want to help Sam Darnold, drafting the next Calvin Johnson might be a good idea

Devin white? Didn't we draft that dude already?? He sucked

16 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

7. Devin White, LB, LSU

All of these guys are interesting if we trade down for multiple picks but I would be majorly disappointed if we took any of them at 3.

Sweat, Oliver, Taylor and Gary are the only guys I can possibly wrap my head around going #3 overall.

Remember, it would mean the Jets pass on either Bosa, Allen, or QW. ONE of those 3 will be on the board. I really don't see them passing on ANY of those guys. 

But IMO, barring a trade down, the Jets are taking Bosa, Allen or QW.   

5 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

7. Devin White, LB, LSU

Seeing those 10 names plus Bosa, Allen and Ferrell (EDIT: I meant Q. Williams, not Ferrell.  He's already listed) means there are 13 guys who could be somewhat helpful or very helpful to the Jets.  That's a good argument for trading down as far as the 15th pick (assuming some QBs and others are taken as well).

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

7. Devin White, LB, LSU

Dont post here anymore but Brian Burns should not be an unlikely or out of the box pick.

Burns is simply the best pass rusher in this draft, actually has a pass rush repertoire, great in space, and off the chart athleticism. If Bosa and Allen and Burns are all there at 3, the pick should still be Burns. Watch all 3 and I'm sure you will feel the same. 

Back to lurking 

If we trade down I'd love Ed Oliver idk why he's falling down peoples boards. I'm still mostly against the trade down (Unless Houston is signed) but man I think Houston along with Oliver and Leo under Gregg Williams would be devastating 

11 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Dont post here anymore but Brian Burns should not be an unlikely or out of the box pick.

Burns is simply the best pass rusher in this draft, actually has a pass rush repertoire, great in space, and off the chart athleticism. If Bosa and Allen and Burns are all there at 3, the pick should still be Burns. Watch all 3 and I'm sure you will feel the same. 

Back to lurking 

tumblr_m41opefABa1qi36o9o1_500.gif

15 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Back to lurking 

burns would be the top edge in a “normal” draft class

14 minutes ago, SR24 said:

If we trade down I'd love Ed Oliver idk why he's falling down peoples boards. I'm still mostly against the trade down (Unless Houston is signed) but man I think Houston along with Oliver and Leo under Gregg Williams would be devastating 

Super athletic for a DT. Moves well and reads plays well. I think lack of strength (or I should say size). And I think lack of high end competition. The combination of those two things is why he is behind QW as far as DTs.

Some may also be concerned b/c of the shouting match he had with his coach, but I think thats an issue. But he also suffered a knee injury that had some concerned. 

I think he is still the #2 DT on almost everyone's board.  

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

If we can trade back many of these guys seem feasible. DK Metcalf is just Greek Godish. He makes Calvin Johnson look like Darron Lee.

Seriously. Did Lee steal your lunch money or something? 

You've been obsessing over him in every thread for days on end.

25 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Back to lurking 

I love Burns. I think the only concerns are that he is simply not as good (at nearly every aspect) as Bosa and not as versatile as Allen. 

From what I have heard some view him as a Pure Pass rusher (I disagree, I think he is solid against the run) AND some see him as needing to bulk up to handle the NFL (which I kind of agree but am not too concerned about). 

It depends on what you want. If you want a dominant DT that can shut down the run and collapse the pocket you take QW, if you want a versatile OLB that can cover and rush the passer you take Allen, if you want an Edge Rusher that can hold his own against the run you take Bosa.

Burns just happens to be on the outside looking in of that trio of defenders. So, if you want to trade down and still need a Pass Rusher, Burns could very well be an option.  

46 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Back to lurking 

I didn't know Brian Burns real well but after watching a few highlight reels I don't come away overly impressed. I like how fast Bosa and Allen get to the QB. A lot of Burns sacks felt like clean up sacks. I'd have no problem with him in a trade down though.

15 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Yikes. What did DK run? Dude is just beastlike. Looks like he could be the real deal. 

Ok, now I get where you're coming from, with the Lee stuff, LOL.

You like your men jacked. Those skinny ones just don't do it for you, huh?

59 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Back to lurking 

I am 100% with you man... Brian Burns is an uber dangerous player that most college football fans know about. 

If you are not familiar with him YouTube his tape and you will be impressed. 

Archived