Eric DeCosta?

BCJet

DeCosta was the "hottest" GM candidate in the league for arguably 5+ years, and while Mac has quite a few errors, I wanted to point out DeCosta's first month on the job as a comparison, because this board would have voted 100%-0% to hire him this offseason if he as available.

1.  The best WR on the Baltimore roster is Willie Snead

2.  He gave a "safety" (gasp) a 4 years $55 million contract, coming off an injury (after being the #2 behind ozzie who paid another safety (tony jefferson) in 2017).

3. Lost both his OLB - "edge rushers" and is left with Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser, 2017 2nd and 3rd round draft picks who have 5.5 career sacks total between them.

4.  Lost CJ Mosley in free agency

5. Paid up for Lamar Jackson and are building a 3 TE offense around him even though we aren't sure he can be a viable NFL QB.

My point is things happen that are outside of these guys control sometimes (Anthony Barry for example).  Sometimes, like with many of Mac's pics, they are the GMs fault directly, but there is a lot to this and even the "best" guys are FAR from immune to errors.

10 minutes ago, choon328 said:

They also only had $18 million to spend in FA and that's before you deduct for their draft picks. I'm sure if they had $100 million they would've kept the majority of those guys.

The Ravens top 3 cap hits are Jimmy Smith, Brandon Williams and Tony Jefferson - is that good "cap management"?

Fans complain about our skill position players - who does baltimore have? Willie Snead and 2 TEs?

The ravens made the playoffs because they had a coaching staff that wasn't a complete abomination and a solid defense.  If you think they make the playoffs with Todd Bowles as their HC/DC, think again.

Other teams bad gms does not make our GM any better.
Macs biggest issues by far is his draft record and that in the end is what defines GMs.
No one cares about draft picks if your team wins. Do you think patriot fans are trying to run bb out of town because his drafts historically have sucked. I think the draft is important but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is wins and losses

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

15 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

No one cares about draft picks if your team wins. Do you think patriot fans are trying to run bb out of town because his drafts historically have sucked. I think the draft is important but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is wins and losses

You do not have regular long term success unless you at least draft competently.  The pats are a total outlier because of brady and belichick.

51 minutes ago, BCJet said:

The Ravens top 3 cap hits are Jimmy Smith, Brandon Williams and Tony Jefferson - is that good "cap management"?

Fans complain about our skill position players - who does baltimore have? Willie Snead and 2 TEs?

The ravens made the playoffs because they had a coaching staff that wasn't a complete abomination and a solid defense.  If you think they make the playoffs with Todd Bowles as their HC/DC, think again.

First off, you're directing those cap issues to DeCosta when they should be directed to Ozzie Newsome. DeCosta didn't take over till January of this year. Ozzie kept pushing money down the road on Jimmy Smith and others to create cap space due to the albatross of a contract he gave Flacco and they're paying for it this year.

Second, they made the playoffs because they had the #1 defense in the league and a tremendous running game anchored by Gus Edwards who was brought in as an UDFA. Then, DeCosta, brought in Mark Ingram for added muscle in the run game this offseason. He brought back Boyle who is one of the best Blocking TE's in the league and have two good young receiving TE's to go along with him.

Last year their WR's were John Brown, Crabtree and Snead. Brown and Crabtree are hardly irreplaceable guys and the off-season isn't over. The WR position is probably the last thing on their mind bc of how they want to run their offense. 

As far as defense they tried to keep Mosley but were outbid bc of money constraints. They couldn't afford to franchise him bc it would have ate up too much cap space if he didn't agree to an extension.  As far as Za'Darius Smith is concerned they were never going to re-sign him bc of the cost and bc they just invested in young edge rushers with a 2nd and 3rd round pick in 2017. Then they brought in the best safety in the NFL to play the Ed Reed role. 

DeCosta is doing the smart thing and taking the cap hits all this year bc next year they're scheduled to have $100 million in cap space.

DayAum!!! Haha the Raven are nuts with this Lamar kid. I'm sorry I'm not a believer. I think Flacco should have stayed and they should have got him some talent. Gud Edwards and the rest of those guys were bums...it's same here with Powell crowell etc...you got to get a stud and let him be the rock.

I would argue if Powell was ever given the touched he could have been much better for us.

But yeah I agree, our GM has issues but he is like everyone else. I think he needs better scouts because we are below average on our draft picks actually panning out.

rofl

Remember when the GM in comparison inherited a mountain of cap space for his first season? This also presumes they weren't out of striking distance for a top QB because the team was too successful during the prior season. Especially silly when their rookie QB (the one that's presumed to be bad here) went 6-1  in the reg season while ours went 4-9 (and did so with a higher completion percentage after half the teams only had interest in him as a WR or maybe a gadget play back/receiver). His only reg season loss was an OT game on the road against the Chiefs. 

4 drafts. 3 starters selected outside the top 6 overall selections. Prior qualification other than scouting = none.

I get the desire to believe we have a really good GM, but using the argument of "someone else might be worse" (and pointing to poor rationalizations why) doesn't therefore make him good. Three consecutive seasons of 5 or fewer win level rosters is not the time to start looking to see if anyone compares worse after 1 year. Downing a shot of piss is not as bad as slowly sipping a tall piss & period cocktail. So what of it?

• Paying a safety as much as DeCosta gave Thomas is more than I'd have done, but which is more costly overall? A $13.75MM FA vs. $5.6MM and a top 6 overall draft pick. Raise your hand if you'd surrender a top 6 overall selection for $8MM in cap relief for the next 4 years (on an average $175MM cap). FFS people praised Cleveland as forward thinking for eating Osweiller's $16MM to pick up an extra 2nd rounder (which became Nick Chubb). What's more, the Jets had like 15 holes and needed upgrades (including QB) when we went safety-safety. Yeah the Ravens paid a lot, but they were already a contender shoring up one of their few remaining holes. It isn't exactly apples and apples.
  • As to OLB/EDGE, they still have Judon so why leave out his return? He had 8 sacks last year and played as much as Smith, but why pretend he isn't there anymore? Next, I don't know how much I'd poke fun at anyone for not re-signing a 37 year old OLB heading into an pass-rusher heavy draft. It seems silly to talk of how few sacks their 4th and 5th edge rushers got while playing as backups to those three. Perhaps they're just not betting that Smith's more than doubling of his 3rd year's sack total is going to be his new baseline for the next 3 years. They know him plenty well. 
  • If they wanted Mosely back that badly they could have FT him for less than the Jets paid as a FA. They were quite aware of this option when they declined to tag him, and weren't looking at re-signing him with that $15MM tag number even being discussed as annual amount (let alone outbidding the Jets' $17MM). It's likely they didn't think he was worth more than $13MM per.
    • Meanwhile not one month ago it was thought to be a mere formality that Macc would exercise the 5th year option on Lee, who was still touted as one of his few draft "hits" thus far. On March 1st, if I'd suggested we spend 5 x $17MM (or even 5 x $14MM) on Mosely, I can't even imagine the stupidity-themed insults that'd have been hurled my way. But Macc does it, so therefore it's smart GMing.  
  • Center is another position where no matter what Macc did it's deemed awesome. If he'd signed Paradis (or another veteran center) he'd be heaped with praise for doing so. He signed no one, other than the guy who was the backup center to both Long and Johnson the past 2 years, and is still heaped with just as much praise. Basically anything he does or doesn't do is praiseworthy because he's the one doing it. Lol.

The Ravens were not in the same position in 2018. They picked far lower, had far less cap room, including cap hits for Flacco at $24MM in 2018 and $16MM upcoming in 2019 while he's on the Broncos. Again, apples to apples? No.

All this rationalized praise, and why? Well ultimately, because the Giants didn't take Sam Darnold at #2 (nor trade with someone else to move up to that slot and take him). There's even been this invented idea that he knew they wouldn't take a QB ahead of us, even though he said publicly he moved up to #3 because he was fine with the 3rd best QB, whomever that would be, and later publicly admitted he was shocked when he saw Darnold get past the Giants. As in, the celebration over landing Darnold was after the Giants' pick, not after the Browns' pick. 

I'm happy with Darnold as our QB, but it's coin toss luck our QB is him rather than Rosen (or possibly, but not likely, Allen) or Cousins at a guaranteed $30MM per before becoming a UFA again in year 4.

So based on luck in year 4 as GM - which itself was after passing up opportunities for drafting 5 other probowl QBs from 2016-2017 alone, while he went with Hackenberg + Fitz + McCown and wasted 2 full NFL seasons in the process - we should be excited because someone in Baltimore drafted a QB at #32 in his first draft and rode him to the playoffs as an ultra-raw rookie. 

How lucky we are.

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

You're not making a great case for Mac with that one...

Smart: extend a one-time 8.5-sack player at $17MM/year. Plus extend their MLB at $17MM/year. Also keep 37 year-old Terrell Suggs at $7MM, too.

Dumb: draft an edge rusher in round 4 and use him for 4 ultra-cheap seasons before letting another cheap 3rd/4th round pick take his place (and recoup a 3rd round compensatory pick a year later).

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

DayAum!!! Haha the Raven are nuts with this Lamar kid. I'm sorry I'm not a believer. I think Flacco should have stayed and they should have got him some talent. Gud Edwards and the rest of those guys were bums...it's same here with Powell crowell etc...you got to get a stud and let him be the rock.

I would argue if Powell was ever given the touched he could have been much better for us.

Yeah, that running back by committee thing never pans out. 

But yeah I agree, our GM has issues but he is like everyone else. I think he needs better scouts because we are below average on our draft picks actually panning out.

You mean the scouts our GM hired and has relied on for over 4 years?

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah, that running back by committee thing never pans out. 

You mean the scouts our GM hired and has relied on for over 4 years?

Yeah I'm with you...I think they got to go too. Hopefully with this GM next year but I doubt it. I don't think Macc is so bad but def not good. Our scouts though suck they are not Ave

7 hours ago, BCJet said:

DeCosta was the "hottest" GM candidate in the league for arguably 5+ years, and while Mac has quite a few errors, I wanted to point out DeCosta's first month on the job as a comparison, because this board would have voted 100%-0% to hire him this offseason if he as available.

1.  The best WR on the Baltimore roster is Willie Snead

2.  He gave a "safety" (gasp) a 4 years $55 million contract, coming off an injury (after being the #2 behind ozzie who paid another safety (tony jefferson) in 2017).

3. Lost both his OLB - "edge rushers" and is left with Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser, 2017 2nd and 3rd round draft picks who have 5.5 career sacks total between them.

4.  Lost CJ Mosley in free agency

5. Paid up for Lamar Jackson and are building a 3 TE offense around him even though we aren't sure he can be a viable NFL QB.

My point is things happen that are outside of these guys control sometimes (Anthony Barry for example).  Sometimes, like with many of Mac's pics, they are the GMs fault directly, but there is a lot to this and even the "best" guys are FAR from immune to errors.

Erik Decosta can draft talent and he has a proven track record doing so under Newsome. Mac has a sketchy draft record when he was an assistant and an even worse drafting record since becoming GM.

9 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

And they beat a dangerous Baker Mayfield to make those playoffs. Amazing. 

Like someone said B4, great coaching. John Harbaugh....Todd Bowles. We play Baker & Cleveland again this year, watch the tape Adam. 

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Erik Decosta can draft talent and he has a proven track record doing so under Newsome. Mac has a sketchy draft record when he was an assistant and an even worse drafting record since becoming GM.

Im not using the comparison as a reason to defend Mac, I would have preferred that he was fired, and had the Giants been smart and taken Sam, we would be in a much worse situation (so yes he got lucky).

My point is that Baltimore hasn't focused on WRs, has drafted "edge rushers" in the middle rounds (Like Bowser, Judon, and Tim williams - Judon who BTW, had just as many sacks as Jordan Jenkins), and paid top dollar to 2 safeties.  Yet they are smart and Mac is an idiot.

Its not necessarily the philosophy, its the lack of being able to find good players in the draft that has hurt Mac.  Thats the point.

Archived