Nick Foles Won't Attend Jaguars OTAs for Personal Reasons

Nick Foles Won't Attend Jaguars OTAs for Personal Reasons; No Return Timetable

MIKE CHIARIMAY 28, 2019

Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Nick Foles (7) throws a pass during an NFL football practice, Tuesday, May 21, 2019, in Jacksonville, Fla. (AP Photo/John Raoux)
John Raoux/Associated Press

Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Nick Foles will not attend OTAs due to personal reasons, according to Daniel Popper of The Athletic.

Popper added there is no timetable for Foles' return. NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported that while Foles could be back by the end of the week, his absence is "open-ended."

The Jags have OTAs scheduled for Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, as well as June 3, 4, 6 and 7. Veteran mandatory minicamp will then be held from June 11 to 13.

Per John Oehser of the Jaguars' official website, head coach Doug Marrone released a statement, saying, "Our thoughts and prayers are with Nick and his family."

This offseason, Jacksonville signed Foles to a four-year, $88 million contract with a $25 million signing bonus and over $50 million in guaranteed money.

The Jags were in desperate need of a quarterback after Blake Bortles bottomed out in 2018, which resulted in Jacksonville's plummet from the AFC Championship Game to 5-11 in just one year. Foles was the best free-agent option available. While he primarily served as Carson Wentz's backup with the Philadelphia Eagles the past two seasons, he performed at a high level when called upon.

During the 2017 season, Foles went 2-1 as a starter during the regular season and led Philly on an improbable playoff run that saw it beat the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LII. Foles was named MVP of that game.

Then, Foles went 4-1 as a starter during the 2018 regular season and helped the Eagles sneak into the playoffs. Foles and the Eagles beat the Chicago Bears before they fell to the New Orleans Saints in the divisional round.

The 30-year-old Foles has made 44 regular-season starts in his career with the Eagles, St. Louis Rams and Kansas City Chiefs. He owns a 26-18 record and has completed 61.6 percent of his passes for 11,165 yards, 68 touchdowns and 33 interceptions.

Foles—a one-time Pro Bowler—also has six games of starting experience in the playoffs.

In Jacksonville, Foles will look to supplement a dominant defense and a potentially strong running game spearheaded by Leonard Fournette.

He is also reuniting with Jags offensive coordinator John DeFilippo, who was Foles' quarterback coach in Philadelphia in 2017 when the team won the Super Bowl.

While missing some valuable practice time with his new team could be a negative, the fact that Foles is familiar with DeFilippo's offense suggests he may not be too far behind by the time he returns.

• Thumb Down 2

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Suck it up.  It's football. It's not like some misleading thread title sucked you in and you accidentally clicked to read non-Jets content.

I will neg rep every thread that isnt Jets related. 

Mods not doing whatthey should. Its really very simple. 

this is NEW YORK JETS forum.

• Thumb Down 10

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

When did you get here?  We decided more than a decade ago that football is football and we would just have a football forum.  We are Jets fans, so the bulk will be Jets related.  The mods are doing exactly what they should.

just petitioning for what makes sense Jets football does not euqal all football.

• Thumb Down 2

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Suck it up.  It's football. It's not like some misleading thread title sucked you in and you accidentally clicked to read non-Jets content.

I always laugh when posters complain about football threads not being Jets related.

Just goes to show you what I've said many times is true: Jets fans are Jets fans 1st, football fans 2nd. I guarantee if the franchise were abolished tomorrow, at least 50% of our fanbase would stop watching football altogether 

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

When did you get here?  We decided more than a decade ago that football is football and we would just have a football forum.  We are Jets fans, so the bulk will be Jets related.  The mods are doing exactly what they should.

agree, most of my sports news starts here - f-spn and the rest

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Here's the thing, you're not a mod.  

Thankfully.

Maybe next time you should just leave it to them to decide.  Seems like they have.

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

What fun would football be if you never talked about other teams? Knowing other teams' players, coaches, schemes, etc. adds to rivalries. 

Hell, I'm a Celtics fan, and probably know more about the Lakers than Lakers fans. You know why? Talking about them, and knowing about them makes it so much better when we kick their ass in the Finals. 

Imagine games against the Pats without knowing any of the players or coaches on the Pats, and none of their headlines. Would just be another game. 

5 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

What fun would football be if you never talked about other teams? 

During my time living in Colorado, I found lots of Broncos fans didn't know squat about other teams.  Many, not all of course, live in an orange and blue bubble.

15 hours ago, PCP63 said:

What fun would football be if you never talked about other teams? Knowing other teams' players, coaches, schemes, etc. adds to rivalries. 

Hell, I'm a Celtics fan, and probably know more about the Lakers than Lakers fans. You know why? Talking about them, and knowing about them makes it so much better when we kick their ass in the Finals. 

Imagine games against the Pats without knowing any of the players or coaches on the Pats, and none of their headlines. Would just be another game. 

never said that i dont like to talk about ALL football. just that I like to talk Jets forst, then the rest.

just that JETS and all else football could/should be in seperate folders. 

33 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

never said that i dont like to talk about ALL football. just that I like to talk Jets forst, then the rest.

Isn’t that....exactly what's happening now? The main page is 98% jets related and then there’s this piece.

how about this, until you start helping Max pay the monthly bill on this place, why don’t you put a cork in it for us?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Not funny either. It shows the selfishness and immaturity of posters. Foles’ wife has a serious medical condition and she could be extremely ill. Let’s show some compassion and not worry about where a thread should be like located. 

Original intent of the thread was not to bash Foles or his apparent reason for being absent from OTA's and I don't think anyone said a damn thing about his ill wife. 

STOP 

UPDATE (Thursday, 8:42 a.m.): NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo reports Jaguars quarterback Nick Foles returned to OTAs on Thursday.

Former Eagles quarterback Nick Foles was absent from OTAs recently with his new team, the Jacksonville Jaguars, for “personal reasons”.

Wednesday, Foles and his wife Tori revealed on social media why exactly he was missing practice, and it’s heartbreaking — she suffered a miscarriage over the weekend.

• WTF? 1

On 5/29/2019 at 1:27 PM, Losmeister said:

I disagree. I like having all the football in one forum. It's easy enough to skip over threads you're not interested in.