La Canfora: Jets, Douglas negotiating scouting budget, Douglas could be hired by end of week

Just now, dbatesman said:

If I remember correctly, one of the first things Maccagnan did was demand (and get) more money for the scouting department. Like you said, the fact that this franchise was trying to save money on scouting, of all things, shows what sh*theels the Johnsons are.

No QB coach, no offensive quality control in the coaching staff last year. They are just morons.

• Upvote 3

The best thing about a Douglas hire would be the unusual feeling that the Jets actually had a plan here from the start and then successfully executed it. 

I could not agree more. The silence associated with the plan while the world was hurling flaming balls from the media catapults is also a solid sign. No need to pacify the masses en route to the ultimate goal. I like that.
If it’s Douglas, as the initial report suggested prior to maccs firing, it means he was fired with Douglas already at least partly done. The due diligence and weathering of the onslaught during the process bodes well for our jets org moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

You actually sum up jet fandom in one post. If we don’t get him, he’s a loser bum and if we do he’s the greatest ever.

If we hire him then it’s, “how dumb is this guy to take a job at the Jets working for the Johnsons!”

If we don’t get him then it’s, “how come we never get the real top tier candidate!”

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If we hire him then it’s, “how dumb is this guy to take a job at the Jets working for the Johnsons!”

If we don’t get him then it’s, “how come we never get the real top tier candidate!”

The irony is that the Johnsons, despite all the bad hires they have made and the beating they take in the press, may be the best bosses around.  They are unusually patient.  They kept Bowles and Macc around for four years!  If they hire the right guy here they could start to look pretty good as owners.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'd love to hear how a negotiation for something like this goes down. It's the Jets so I fully expect it to end something like this.

"Sorry Joe, we really like you as a GM candidate and we would love for you to run our football team, but we really don't want to spend too much on the guys who find us players. We're going with the other guy who only needs half as much to build a scouting department.  "

I've always wondered why teams don't invest so much more into scouting. Even if at this point you're just paying analysts to scour over video to get relevant material to the actual talent evaluators. How do you get a Hackenburg wrong with so much information and video available for such an investment.

2 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Jeff Lurie would be  behind Douglas  100%.

Not getting what you mean here.

In order to come to the Jets and have Philly block the move the Jets have to give Douglas final authority with regards to the roster.  

Lurie has nothing to do with it.  

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

IF it turns out to be Douglas, this nugget here makes me a believer in him.  Fighting for what he thinks he needs to be successful, not just more money for himself

True, as long as he uses that money to hire the right people. 

I seem to remember reports coming out when Maccagnan was hired that part of the deal to him accepting the job was that more resources would be put towards the scouting department.

Douglas has history in, and knows more people from winning/stable organizations so on paper this should all be very good for us.  But until someone is actually in the big chair with the final say and last word, who knows?

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I heard yesterday that "a" holdup may be over control of the roster, that either Philly has a stip in his contract that he can't leave unless he has complete control (i.e., a REAL GM job) or that HE wouldn't leave without full control.

Philly can't block him from taking the job as it is a promotion with foster control. He does not have that now.

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Just what I heard.

It could be him.  

I have even Listerine on this. Philly can't block a promotion. During the season they can block an interview and they even did that to Houston who wanted to interview him. If he already had full control of the roster in Philly then the Jets would need to give him a promotion on top of that. Philly can not block the move they can counter offer but it would need to be equAl to the Jets offer to satisfy the N.F.L. Rules

Jets fans have a new reason to fear Christopher Johnson will botch GM search

Updated 3:23 PM; Today 2:42 PM
Jets’ Quinnen Williams laughs at idea he lacks power

5 shares

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jets’ search for a new general manager marches on.

It’s now been three weeks since acting owner Christopher Johnson canned Mike Maccagnan, opening up the understandably methodical process to find a replacement GM. In the days that followed, Johnson gave Jets fans plenty of reasons to worry that he’s in over his head.

Now, they have a new thing to be afraid of.

According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, the Jets are done with their interviews after speaking with four candidates in recent days. Now, they’re circling back to see what it would cost to strike a deal with each prospective new GM.

Embedded video

From Up to the Minute Live: The #Jets are following up with several GM candidates, trying to learn their financial parameters and what hiring each one would entail. More due diligence.

Seems like simple due diligence. And maybe that’s exactly what it will turn out to be.

To be clear: There’s nothing wrong with Johnson and the Jets finding out the price tag that comes with each of their chosen candidates. It may very well just be a practical next step in the process.

But for those fans with whom the Jets have (with good reason) lost the benefit of the doubt, this news will undoubtedly raise some red flags. Because the Jets absolutely cannot afford to make this decision based on money.

One more time for those in the back: The Jets cannot afford to cheap out on their new GM.

Bypassing one player for a cheaper one because of cost considerations is one thing; teams only have a finite amount of money to spend, thanks to the salary cap. But there is no limit on GM spending. The Jets could quite literally back a Brinks truck up to Joe Douglas’ garage if they want to hire the Philadelphia Eagles’ vice president of player personnel – as many believe they do.

And frankly, they should. Money should not – it cannot – be an object in this decision.

This search must remain about finding the most qualified candidate for the job. Full stop. What is $1 million here or there to a multi-billion dollar organization?

It’s not like this money is coming directly out of the Johnson family’s coffers, either; the Jets’ bottom line can no doubt absorb one more drop in the bucket.

The Jets are already paying both Maccagnan and former coach Todd Bowles to go away and stop making a mess of this team. If the team can take on that line item, isn’t it worth also paying the small premium it would take to hire the GM who can lead them out of disaster?

That must be the end goal of this search: Hiring a new general manager who can create long-term success. If Johnson and head coach Adam Gasebelieve they have found a candidate capable of that, then settling for anything less would be lunacy. The added wins – not to mention playoff trips and bolstered merchandise sales – would more than make up the financial pitfalls.

In other words, bypassing a candidate with whom the Jets envision a bountiful future over a minor contract negotiation would be the definition of stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime.

The best financial move the Jets can make is to win. That means finding the best GM possible, regardless of salary.

Buy Jets Father's Day gear: Fanatics, NFL Shop, Lids, Champs Sports, Dick's Sporting Goods

Whether that person – at least in Johnson’s eyes – is Douglas, Seahawks’ co-director of player personnel Scott Fitterer or one of the other two candidates, we don’t yet know.

But that same person had better be the guy that the Jets’ acting owner eventually introduces as the next leader of the front office when the time comes. Anything less would be an insult to fans, a declaration that winning comes second and a brutally bad business decision to boot.

Matt Stypulkoski may be reached at mstypulkoski@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @M_Stypulkoski. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, rammagen said:

Philly can't block him from taking the job as it is a promotion with foster control. He does not have that now.

27 minutes ago, rammagen said:

I have even Listerine on this. Philly can't block a promotion. During the season they can block an interview and they even did that to Houston who wanted to interview him. If he already had full control of the roster in Philly then the Jets would need to give him a promotion on top of that. Philly can not block the move they can counter offer but it would need to be equAl to the Jets offer to satisfy the N.F.L. Rules

What part of “I heard yesterday” that if he’s not given complete control of the roster (i.e., Gase contains some control) Philly could block him or “he may decide if he doesn’t have full control he may not take the position” did I stutter during? 

2 hours ago, Jet Life said:

Jason is wrong about everything. I feel worse now

FIrst thing I thought when I saw the thread but this is a typical situation where he's not really putting anything out there that can blow back.  Douglas has been the front runner the whole time, he gave an ambiguous deadline and the only thing he really stuck his neck out on was the hold up is over "scouting".

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Jets are cheap. They dont have Manish running interference for them at the moment. At least if Douglas falls through we'll get some closure on this fact. 

They just doled out some of the richest contracts every for LB and RB and now they're cheap?  Don't let 11th hour tweets form your opinion. 

Discussing the budget doesn't mean they're looking for some GM Blue Light Special.  It means they're discussing the budget.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

They just doled out some of the richest contracts every for LB and RB and now they're cheap?  Don't let 11th hour tweets form your opinion. 

Discussing the budget doesn't mean they're looking for some GM Blue Light Special.  It means they're discussing the budget.

Every team in the league gets the same personnel budget. That money doesnt go into the Johnson coffers. Saving on coaches, marketing etc does- there is no salary cap for this.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Jets are cheap. They dont have Manish running interference for them at the moment. At least if Douglas falls through we'll get some closure on this fact. 

It's so obvious that it's going to be Douglas as the new GM, not only today but a month ago.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Pac said:

As a condition for taking the job in 2015, Maccagnan demanded that Woody spend more money on scouting:

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

As a condition for taking the job in 2015, Maccagnan demanded that Woody spend more money on scouting:

He must have got it since he ended up taking the job.

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Yes I remember.  He got it.

From what I've read over the years, everything from the facilities to the off the field help the Jets provide is the opposite of an owner looking to save a few shekles.

32 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

it's a shame that he apparently did not listen to them or picked lousy scouts like his lousy players after the 1st round