Douglas Introductory Presser -- 3PM Tuesday

Lith

I think Chris Johnson gave away more than people realised in that conference.

He said something like the GM needs to create a culture not just be a talent evaluator. Sounded like he was laying out exactly why he got rid of Mac and what he wants in Joe.

Mac, talent eval and nothing more. Joe, create a culture, has a plan to build a OLine and Dline and the order of things.

Douglas said very few words but we found out more how he see a team than we ever did with Mac and his generic 'always looking to improve' quotes.

I also appreciated CJ putting some skin in the game by saying 'his vision' for the organisation.

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Who cares about that stuff, he said stuff that sounds like stuff winners (and losers) sometimes say when they're not saying anything at all....that's so AWESOME! WOOT! :yahoo:

(For those unable to understand sarcasm, let me be clear:  I like the Douglas hire, he seems perfectly well qualified.  I don't care what hot air he blows to fans and talking heads at pressers, nor do I have much respect fro those who think pressers and the meaningless twaddle spoken at them mean anything at all.  This is not "hate" nor is it any objection to Douglas.  It's an objection to vapid media culture and the fans who revel in it.  And by the way, do you ever lift, bro?)

For someone who doesnt care you made sure you came in a couple of times to see what happened.

Come on, admit it, youre almost a real fan.

23 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

He said something like the GM needs to create a culture not just be a talent evaluator. Sounded like he was laying out exactly why he got rid of Mac and what he wants in Joe.

He said it clearly when he fired Macc.

He wants someone who sets the tone, gets along with the "building"

He wasnt mincing words

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He sounds like a team builder which is exactly what mac was not.   Mac made many poor draft picks but his biggest fail was not over a 5 year period having a solid plan to build a team rather than just pick bits and pieces.

I really wish he was hired when gase was hired and not after letting mac have the last draft and FA period.

You're right in terms of more ideal timing, but Gase had an uphill battle pushing a guy out right after getting here as the new guy with no friends in the building yet (don't forget the assistant GM was also Macc's guy).

What was necessary to make this happen, even as early as it did in the spring, was Gase forcing CJ to watch closely for another offseason and seeing him add a bunch of pieces the HC didn't want (and fail to add other pieces he did want). That wasn't going to happen in January. FFS Johnson had just given the guy an extension after facepalming repeatedly, and still felt he needed Macc him in the room with him when interviewing every coaching candidate. Johnson didn't know sh*t on his own.

If this one offseason went closer to the way Gase wanted, then Macc isn't fired and Douglas is hired by someone else in January 2020 - or to the Texans right now - while the Jets weren't GM shopping.

Take the win. Don't squabble over not winning by enough of a margin. 

• Upvote 3

I kinda have the feeling that if we were hiring a GM in January , before we hired Gase and Williams, we wouldn't have even gotten Douglas in the door. The coaching, the staff , the free agents , and the draft picks all played their roles. For all we know , Chis Johnson knew that he needed a man with connections (Gase), and that they needed credibility in at least one area to build a solid front office. If you recall, when we hired Mac, we couldn't get any top candidates to interview. Just a theory, but something to think about.

• Upvote 1

It's all about Sam Darnold! 

Everything else regarding the Jets is irrelevant. Sams a real pro, calm demeanor, works hard, takes to teaching, leads by example, doesn't complain, asks a lot of questions, is incredibly likeable & adept at dealing with the NY press, is still only 22 years old, and is the face of this franchise going forward. 

Without Sam Darnold falling in our laps none of these moves are possible. We'd still be attracting C- coaching & GM candidates. Joe Douglas called Ozzie Newsome & Newsome probably said, "Have you watched tape on that Darnold kid?, surround him with playmakers & go try to win a Super Bowl Joe". 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I like Gase but of the two (Gase and Douglas) I'm glad we gave Douglas the longer deal and that he'd likely outlast Gase if it ever came time to fire the HC. 

Since Gase got Douglas the job, I can't imagine firing Gase would go down all that well, unless it was Douglas' call.  That'll be interesting if it ever comes to that.  Let's just hope this works out and both are here a while. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Ok now that we got “our guy”, do we give this guy a pass for this upcoming season after we go 7-9?

He didn't even get to make any decisions this past offseason.  He should get at least a couple years to clean up Macc's mess before we start complaining about the W-L record.  He'll have a ton of decisions to make after 2020 when Bell, Osemele, Winters and Crowder will all be gone. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You're right in terms of more ideal timing, but Gase had an uphill battle pushing a guy out right after getting here as the new guy with no friends in the building yet (don't forget the assistant GM was also Macc's guy).

What was necessary to make this happen, even as early as it did in the spring, was Gase forcing CJ to watch closely for another offseason and seeing him add a bunch of pieces the HC didn't want (and fail to add other pieces he did want). That wasn't going to happen in January. 

Especially when the HC before Gase seemed so passive and probably never complained about Macc.  Hard to get a handle on how your employees are getting along or how their working relationship was if all are saying it's great.

Johnson threw Douglas’s Macc under the bus when he said Douglas shares Johnson’s vision for the entire organization.

“He must be able to build and maintain a winning culture, including earning the trust of his colleagues,” was another slap at Maccagnan.  Took  time for all of this to come out and when it was apparent CJ acted quickly and nipped it in the bud. 

When Douglas said “My goal is to be a steward to this franchise. We will find passionate people who love the game of football, that hate losing more than they do winning. My first step is to be engaged and connect with the entire organization,” We know exactly who they were tired of and why.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm happy so far with the new blood this year as well, but don't let that ignore what actually happened.

CJ handed out extensions to Macc and Bowles after consecutive losing seasons. And absent Gase being Gase, pushing the former out the window in his first spring here, there'd likely have been no GM change for a few more years or more. Johnson outright admitted to not paying attention to his GM's job performance until after Gase was hired (i.e. until after Gase told him that his GM is in incompetent boob with a laughable reputation outside Florham Park and a handful of blindly loyal Jets fans). Further if he was paying attention, and had fired the two of them when he should have (instead of those extensions), there's every likelihood he screws that up as well, with multiple teams competing for the same people.

The cause of the current preseason high-fiving with the FO changes wasn't due to competence by anyone with the last name Johnson. It was a comedy of errors that resulted in accidentally-good timing/circumstances, including Gase being an outspoken, backstabbing, egomaniacal hardon, who had prior longstanding ties to Douglas. 

The expression that comes to mind is it's better to be lucky than good.

I'll take it. 

Thank you!

The supposed greatness of CJ going on around here the past few days is laughable.  He's an incompetent boob, and has said nearly as much by his very own admission, when he outright admitted he was making high-level decisions himself despite absolutely no knowledge or understanding of anything going on with the team for years now.  He literally had less of an understanding of what needed to be done than anyone throughout the team, league, or even fans.  There's a chance this could work out in the end, and if so I'll damn sure take it, but it would be unquestionably in spite of CJ, not in any way because of him.

With that said, I'm still not quite ready to start celebrating these moves either, given as much as we'd like to pretend otherwise as a matter of hindsight, the last round of hires were well received by the overwhelming majority at the time they were made, and we all saw how that worked out.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The supposed greatness of CJ going on around here the past few days is outright laughable.  He's an incompetent boob, and has said nearly as much by his very own admission, when he outright admitted he was making high-level decisions himself despite absolutely no knowledge or understanding of anything going on with the team for years now.  He literally had less of an understanding of what needed to be done than anyone throughout the team, league, or even fans.  There's a chance this could work out in the end, and if so I'll damn sure take it, but it would be unquestionably in spite of CJ, not in any way because of him.

The guy's a novice. To me, this is more an indictment of Woody Johnson to not hire a President of Football Operations to run the team and report to him, rather than Woody incompetently handling that job himself. With such a man in place, CJ could've fired both Mac & Bowles at the same time, and hopefully a competent President along with Darnold would've attracted better candidates than the team has in the past. 

All of that said, CJ deserves credit for two things in my mind: 

First, once he identified that Mac had to go, he let him go. And for whatever reason he felt Heimerdinger needed to go, too, and handled it. Wasn't afraid to take the heat for the timing. either. Better late than never. 

Second, he avoided the arranged marriages that Woody favors; Tanny-Rex, Rex-Idzik, Mac-Bowles. Instead, he clearly took the counsel of his new head coach. After interviewing four qualified candidates, he went after the guy his head coach wanted and refused to take no for an answer. Upped his offer from 4/$7.6M to 6/$19.2M. That's not the sort of thing we heard about happening here when Woody was on this side of the pond. 

Yeah, now it has to work. But I like the fact that they targeted a #1 candidate and landed him. That alone is a big change in Jetland. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Especially when the HC before Gase seemed so passive and probably never complained about Macc.  Hard to get a handle on how your employees are getting along or how their working relationship was if all are saying it's great.

Johnson threw Douglas’s Macc under the bus when he said Douglas shares Johnson’s vision for the entire organization.

“He must be able to build and maintain a winning culture, including earning the trust of his colleagues,” was another slap at Maccagnan.  Took  time for all of this to come out and when it was apparent CJ acted quickly and nipped it in the bud. 

When Douglas said “My goal is to be a steward to this franchise. We will find passionate people who love the game of football, that hate losing more than they do winning. My first step is to be engaged and connect with the entire organization,” We know exactly who they were tired of and why.

Could be. I'm not around Florham Park's offices so I don't know what Bowles did or did not say to CJ while he was on "equal footing" with the GM. 

By most accounts, Macc and Bowles were on the same page with the same basic philosophy (such as it is). That there were surely differences of opinion on specific moves or non-moves along the way doesn't disprove that; no two people agree on everything for 4 straight years.

As far as the Douglas presser, it's nice stuff but really doesn't mean much. What I'm far more optimistic about, with regards to the hire, is the way he seems to have resounding support from anyone who utters his name. Of course, so does Bowles for the most part, but moving up the ladder to GM I think is less of a jump than climbing up that last rung from coordinator to HC, so that's neither here nor there. We've all lost count of the number of successful coordinators who were good at their own specific area of expertise but just weren't cut out for the top dog position in charge of everything and everyone. 

In the end, good philosophy or not, good catch phrases or not, Douglas has to do the same thing every GM has to do: add good players, minimize adding bad ones, and prioritize positions rationally. Some positions you fill as soon as the opportunity presents itself; others can wait because there are such opportunities every year (if not multiple times every year). I think that was one of Macc's biggest shortcomings, on top of having a poorer eye for talent than thousands of unqualified armchair GMs. 

41 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Thank you!

The supposed greatness of CJ going on around here the past few days is laughable.  He's an incompetent boob, and has said nearly as much by his very own admission, when he outright admitted he was making high-level decisions himself despite absolutely no knowledge or understanding of anything going on with the team for years now.  He literally had less of an understanding of what needed to be done than anyone throughout the team, league, or even fans.  There's a chance this could work out in the end, and if so I'll damn sure take it, but it would be unquestionably in spite of CJ, not in any way because of him.

With that said, I'm still not quite ready to start celebrating these moves either, given as much as we'd like to pretend otherwise as a matter of hindsight, the last round of hires were well received by the overwhelming majority at the time they were made, and we all saw how that worked out.

By happenstance it looks like the Jets stumbled into a decent HC/GM exacta. But it wasn't the plan. 

I'll take the win. The people now in charge understand what matters. Put it this way; we won't see the like of the Jets throwing silly money at Trumaine Johnson any time soon, and won't see a guy like Matt Paradis not get a long look. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

The guy's a novice. To me, this is more an indictment of Woody Johnson to not hire a President of Football Operations to run the team and report to him, rather than Woody incompetently handling that job himself. With such a man in place, CJ could've fired both Mac & Bowles at the same time, and hopefully a competent President along with Darnold would've attracted better candidates than the team has in the past. 

All of that said, CJ deserves credit for two things in my mind: 

First, once he identified that Mac had to go, he let him go. And for whatever reason he felt Heimerdinger needed to go, too, and handled it. Wasn't afraid to take the heat for the timing. either. Better late than never. 

Second, he avoided the arranged marriages that Woody favors; Tanny-Rex, Rex-Idzik, Mac-Bowles. Instead, he clearly took the counsel of his new head coach. After interviewing four qualified candidates, he went after the guy his head coach wanted and refused to take no for an answer. Upped his offer from 4/$7.6M to 6/$19.2M. That's not the sort of thing we heard about happening here when Woody was on this side of the pond. 

Yeah, now it has to work. But I like the fact that they targeted a #1 candidate and landed him. That alone is a big change in Jetland. 

I 100% fully disagree with your first point of credit to CJ.  He had to be outright mocked as a clueless idiot for months regarding how oblivious he was to Maccagnan, and then told the same by his newly hired HC, in order to "identify" the fact that his GM was a known incompetent to absolutely everyone but himself.  That is deserving of literally no credit whatsoever.

Also, the idea that you have to make hires that are good buddies is ridiculous, and simply fits a present day narrative (and Tanny/Rex doesn't really come close to Rex/Idzik or Mac/Bowles).  Bottom line, if you simply hire two professionals who are both good at their jobs, you wouldn't have these problems.  However, in fairness, the refusing to take no as answer for the guy who was their top candidate, no matter the cost, is at least one thing I will admit is certainly deserving of credit.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Also, the idea that you have to make hires that are good buddies is ridiculous, and simply fits a present day narrative (and Tanny/Rex doesn't really come close to Rex/Idzik or Mac/Bowles).  Bottom line, if you simply hire two professionals who are both good at their jobs, you wouldn't have these problems. 

Couldn't it be argued that the main reason Gase disliked Macc was that he sucks, and the main reason he wanted Douglas is because he's good at his job?  Gase doesn't strike me as a guy who has a lot of friends, if any.