Pillage the Vikings!

There's a lot of positive feelings about the New York Jets right now.  In this case it seems the ends do indeed justify the means.  With all the craziness of the last month bringing Joe Douglas on board feels like the right move.  To me it feels like we have our George Young to right the ship.  That said, there is a glaring weakness on this team today.  No, it's not center although I expect reinforcements to be on the way.  Cornerback could be the achilles heel that could sideline the entire season.  The best case scenario is Trumaine plays like a CB1.  That's 50-50 at best.  However, even if that were to work itself out CB2 is a disaster.  

I just don't think Douglas would be willing to give up a high 2020 pick for Darius Slay and would loath to put so much money into two CB's.  A more prudent move would be to approach the Vikings for a deal.  The Vikes are currently $5mm under the cap for 2019 and $12.5mm OVER the cap in 2020.  Thank you Kirk Cousins!  Their starting CB are X. Rholes and Trae Waynes with Mike Hughes and Mac Alexander as backups.  That's a formidable group.  Waynes is a free agent after this year and they don't have the money to pay him.  So what is Waynes Worth?  A third rounder?  Fourth?

Your thoughts?

• Upvote 4

The Vikings are trying to win now. No way do they trade either corner this year for anything less than a 3rd. Waynes would get them a 3rd round comp. They are better off staying put and letting him walk after the season since he can help them win this year. 

What would it take for the Vikings to trade Waynes? At least a 3rd possibly a 2nd.

What would I be willing to give up for Waynes? A 3rd 

• Upvote 2

Nothing there from what I can see.

Waynes has all the tools as far as size, and speed go.  His problems are production and cost.  He is not particularly strong in coverage and he comes with a cost of almost 10 million. He may do better in a man scheme, but is it worth the gamble?  I think not.  Not worth the price, even more so at the cost of a draft pick.  Does not seem to be an obvious upgrade over what we currently have on the roster.  Give Roberts an opportunity.  Waynes is not an upgrade.

Mac Alexander is the better player of the two at this point.  The problem is that he is a slot corner.  And apparently a good one. We have already addressed that need.  Too late.  The position has been filled.  Poole is more than adequate and is a vicious hitter.  I like that.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The Vikings are trying to win now. No way do they trade either corner this year for anything less than a 3rd. Waynes would get them a 3rd round comp. They are better off staying put and letting him walk after the season since he can help them win this year. 

What would it take for the Vikings to trade Waynes? At least a 3rd possibly a 2nd.

Good point by you and Jimmy 2.  However, I think if they believe in Hughes, their first round pick in '18, it could get done.  They have to start collecting picks to replace all of the guys they're going to lose next year including Everson Griffen, Linval Joseph, Harrison Smith and others.  If they think Hughes is a legit starter, I don't think a backup CB is going to bring them a Super Bowl. 

• Upvote 1

For a fan base that thinks this team is good enough to make the playoffs "adequate" and "giving a guy a shot" is not good enough at the #2 CB and slot CB position. Especially since the #1 CB is a huge question mark as well. Going into the season with those question marks could be catastrophic to this team.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

For a fan base that thinks this team is good enough to make the playoffs "adequate" and "giving a guy a shot" is not good enough at the #2 CB and slot CB position. Especially since the #1 CB is a huge question mark as well. Going into the season with those question marks could be catastrophic to this team.

I never thought I would say this but I agree with Choon!  :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

A 4th is plenty high for a good but not elite player who is on the last year of a deal. I think a 5th gets it done, even a 5th and 7th. 

Not thinking creatively enough. We don’t have to give up picks for players low on their priority list that cost them too much. We can offer to take the contract and a pick for cap relief. The Vikings might bite especially if it means they won’t have to try to outbid us for Stefan Diggs next offseason. 

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

They want to win now but they have young pieces that need contracts beyond this one year. They’re gonna lose Waynes or Rhodes anyway, might as well offer them the chance to re-sign Diggs or Hunter a year early. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Spot on. With Cousins contract (LMFAO) eating up a lot of the cap they HAVE to win now. After this season quite a few of their players will be given the heave ho because of Cousins $31m hit. That's the time to shop when it won't cost us any draft picks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Drums said:

I really thought Parry Nickerson was going to come on during last season. Maybe a second year will do him well; he seemed like a ballhawk. 

Yea cause god forbid we allow any player to develop in NY. According to Jet fans if your not getting all Pro props by your 4th game forget it, get the hell out of here, lol. 

I think 2 guys could develop to help the secondary, Nickerson & Bones Jones. Both of these guys like to play aggressive. Gregg will find a use for them. 

But im not against being creative to to find a veteran CB, you bump Roberts to a #3 CB with Poole in the slot that's a good group. Teams play a LOT OF NICKEL nowadays. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, TnT said:

Waynes is a zone cover corner.

G Williams runs a heavy man cover defense.

Square peg, round hole.

The Vikings are a zone cover team. Waynes himself plays better in man. Moving to Gregg's defense would be a good thing for Waynes.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-minnesota-vikings-are-reportedly-shopping-cb-trae-waynes

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Yea cause god forbid we allow any player to develop in NY. According to Jet fans if your not getting all Pro props by your 4th game forget it, get the hell out of here, lol. 

I think 2 guys could develop to help the secondary, Nickerson & Bones Jones. Both of these guys like to play aggressive. Gregg will find a use for them. 

But im not against being creative to to find a veteran CB, you bump Roberts to a #3 CB with Poole in the slot that's a good group. Teams play a LOT OF NICKEL nowadays. 

Calm down please. He wasn’t ready last year and probably can’t step in immediately and start this year. No one said anything about cutting him did they? But you can choose to generalize a statement made as if I am always calling to cut people their second year. Jeez. 

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

The Vikings did us a HUGE favor and lured Cousins away, keeping us from making what could have been one of the worst franchise moves in our history. We should leave them be and be thankful lol.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On the contrary!  They have backed themselves into a cap corner and we need to take advantage of that!  I think a 4th round pick would get it done.  We can absorb the $9mm cap hit this year and if he performs in this defense, he can be resigned.

CB is fine - it's so hard to play Corner in today's NFL that competence is all you need. 

O-line, right now, is what's most lacking on the Jets...second would be a legit #1 WR threat.

Give me a T, G, C and WR #!, with an evolving Darnold, and this is a legitimate SB contender.  

4 hours ago, GreenFish said:

The Vikings are a zone cover team. Waynes himself plays better in man. Moving to Gregg's defense would be a good thing for Waynes.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-minnesota-vikings-are-reportedly-shopping-cb-trae-waynes

I stand corrected...

Thought I had also read in the past that he was a better zone cover corner.

Trade for this Beast!!!

kidding

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Kirk cousins is the 6th highest paid qb in the league.  By next year he will be closer to 10.  Its not a bad deal for a good qb.

I remain firmly unconvinced when it comes to Cousins.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

There's a lot of positive feelings about the New York Jets right now.  In this case it seems the ends do indeed justify the means.  With all the craziness of the last month bringing Joe Douglas on board feels like the right move.  To me it feels like we have our George Young to right the ship.  That said, there is a glaring weakness on this team today.  No, it's not center although I expect reinforcements to be on the way.  Cornerback could be the achilles heel that could sideline the entire season.  The best case scenario is Trumaine plays like a CB1.  That's 50-50 at best.  However, even if that were to work itself out CB2 is a disaster.  

I just don't think Douglas would be willing to give up a high 2020 pick for Darius Slay and would loath to put so much money into two CB's.  A more prudent move would be to approach the Vikings for a deal.  The Vikes are currently $5mm under the cap for 2019 and $12.5mm OVER the cap in 2020.  Thank you Kirk Cousins!  Their starting CB are X. Rholes and Trae Waynes with Mike Hughes and Mac Alexander as backups.  That's a formidable group.  Waynes is a free agent after this year and they don't have the money to pay him.  So what is Waynes Worth?  A third rounder?  Fourth?

Your thoughts?

points for humorous subject heading. no comment from me. dont know their players well enough. but the thinking seems spot on... 

11 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Your thoughts?

My immediate reaction is that the Vikings can suck my _ _ _ _ .  

But yeah...  Id think Waynes would be worth a mid round but only if we can get a fair contract done beyond this year.  Otherwise not giving them a pick for him.  

13 hours ago, Drums said:

Calm down please. He wasn’t ready last year and probably can’t step in immediately and start this year. No one said anything about cutting him did they? But you can choose to generalize a statement made as if I am always calling to cut people their second year. Jeez. 

I was actually agreeing with you & talking about Jet fans in general in regard to impatience. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Spot on. With Cousins contract (LMFAO) eating up a lot of the cap they HAVE to win now. After this season quite a few of their players will be given the heave ho because of Cousins $31m hit. That's the time to shop when it won't cost us any draft picks.

cousins was always a win now proposition.  last season it didn't pay off.  who knows about this season.  and after that, they only have one season of real cap issues as far as cousins goes.

14 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Kirk cousins is the 6th highest paid qb in the league.  By next year he will be closer to 10.  Its not a bad deal for a good qb.

Good but certainly NOT great, nor is he worth that contract. He's a lifetime .500 QB.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...