2019 AFC East Quick Summary

Billsfan64

58 minutes ago, Billsfan64 said:

Must suck not to go to a Super Bowl in 50 years.  How many relics from the 68 Jets are still alive?

I was 9 years old and remember the Super Bowl win over the Colts. Can't believe we haven't been back.  I've had season tickets since 1978. Looking forward to Sunday's game should be a good one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan64 said:

Good Day Jets fans.

Visitor from the world of the Buffalo Bills.  Thought I’d drop in and say hi and wish your team the best of luck in 2019, well with the exception of week 1 and week 17.

Unlike most I don’t believe the Patriots are locks to win the division.  The only thing that’s certain in the Miami Dolphins are locks for last and maybe the worst team since the 1976 Tampa Bay Bucs expansion team.

The Bills and Jets are both capable of overtaking  the Patriots this season.  Both teams are progressing well in their rebuild.  Jets took high dollar free agent path, Bills went for quantity, Both teams took high end DT prospects in the first round and both had disappointments with rookie LB, Polite cut by Jets, Joseph put on IR as a stash as he was not NFL ready.  Like Cashman pick for the Jets.  Rest of draft not so much.  Bills other then Joseph got a lot of value after Oliver in the first round.

Such a huge game on Sunday.  Teams look pretty equal with different strengths.  Jets are better on offense because of Darnold and Bell.  Bills need Allen to take the next step in his development and Devin Singletary needs to prove he can exceed the performance of McCoy with a new offensive line.  Both teams have excellent defensive lines, Bills better at LB and secondary.  Each team has special teams questions going into this season opener.

Looking forward to reading your assessments on each team and I hope one of us and maybe both put the Patriots rule to an end

Just one thing to add, I like the LT/RT Chuma Jets selected since it is not easy to come out of the draft in the 3rd round and be the primary backup at both tackle spots meaning you are one snap away from starting at either spot in a pinch. He is also possibly deemed to take over one of those spots including LT in the near future. As we all know outside of QB, OL may be the most important positions in the NFL and even with a great QB you are dead in the water with bad OL play.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Just one thing to add, I like the LT/RT Chuma Jets selected since it is not easy to come out of the draft in the 3rd round and be the primary backup at both tackle spots meaning you are one snap away from starting at either spot in a pinch. He is also possibly deemed to take over one of those spots including LT in the near future. As we all know outside of QB, OL may be the most important positions in the NFL and even with a great QB you are dead in the water with bad OL play.

Both teams have rookie OL, Chuma for the Jets and Ford for the Bills.  Looking as though Ford will start at RG.

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

So in case no one else expresses the sentiment, thanks for the post. I felt it was even handed and fair.

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I think Allen and Darnold are going to battle for all pro honors for years to come (just not yet though). Depends on coaching and support. Time will tell.  I think this will be the great rivalry in the AFC East when the King is finally dead.

I must say how impressed we were with the Bills fans when we visited Orchard Park, Very knowledgeable fans who sat in their seats and watched the whole %^$%V game unlike the annoyances we get at Met life. As original fellow AFL teams, there is a bit of a brotherhood between us (at least from my generation), 

So how far do you go back? War Memorial? Cookie and Kemp? Dan Darragh? Elbert Dubenion?

Perhaps back to ej Manuel?

We shall see on Sunday, he carved up the Jets pretty well last year in Buffalo in a game lost due to Andre Roberts big kickoff returns.  BTW, you cut him now he is returning kicks for the Bills.

Hope you have a plan in place to stop the “retain possession passes” coming to Cole Beasley.  Can any of the sorry corners the Jets have keep up with John Brown or Robert Foster?

Cant wait to see your 85 million dollar LB lose his jock strap when Allen blows past him.

I did cut him.

• Sympathy 1

Good Day Jets fans.

Visitor from the world of the Buffalo Bills.  Thought I’d drop in and say hi and wish your team the best of luck in 2019, well with the exception of week 1 and week 17.

Unlike most I don’t believe the Patriots are locks to win the division.  The only thing that’s certain in the Miami Dolphins are locks for last and maybe the worst team since the 1976 Tampa Bay Bucs expansion team.

The Bills and Jets are both capable of overtaking  the Patriots this season.  Both teams are progressing well in their rebuild.  Jets took high dollar free agent path, Bills went for quantity, Both teams took high end DT prospects in the first round and both had disappointments with rookie LB, Polite cut by Jets, Joseph put on IR as a stash as he was not NFL ready.  Like Cashman pick for the Jets.  Rest of draft not so much.  Bills other then Joseph got a lot of value after Oliver in the first round.

Such a huge game on Sunday.  Teams look pretty equal with different strengths.  Jets are better on offense because of Darnold and Bell.  Bills need Allen to take the next step in his development and Devin Singletary needs to prove he can exceed the performance of McCoy with a new offensive line.  Both teams have excellent defensive lines, Bills better at LB and secondary.  Each team has special teams questions going into this season opener.

Looking forward to reading your assessments on each team and I hope one of us and maybe both put the Patriots rule to an end

First off, welcome aboard! 

I think the Jets and Bills are on a very similar trajectory right now.  I think Josh Allen is going to be very good and I think there will be a very good rivalry between our teams for years to come.  I don't think either of us is taking down the Pats this year (barring a Brady injury) but he's going to retire soon enough (I'm guessing before age 45).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

First off, welcome aboard! 

I think the Jets and Bills are on a very similar trajectory right now.  I think Josh Allen is going to be very good and I think there will be a very good rivalry between our teams for years to come.  I don't think either of us is taking down the Pats this year (barring a Brady injury) but he's going to retire soon enough (I'm guessing before age 45).

Appreciate the welcome.  

Think Darnold and Allen will both end up being outstanding.  Jets need a couple of more drafts to add depth as their previous GM blew pick after pick outside the first round.  So I honestly think the Bills are a bit ahead in their rebuild.

Only time will tell and the first statement will be made on Sunday

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Billsfan64 said:

Might I ask what your problem is?  I come in, draft a civil post and you go into an obscenity laced tirade.

Sorry, I won’t join you in the gutter, but let’s see if you have the onions to show up about 4:30 on Sunday as the Jets are in the locker room looking forward to the first win the next week against Cleveland.

I’m guessing you lack character and will crawl back under the rock from whence you came after the Jets lose Sunday

I’ll tell you exactly what my problem is, good sir! No one—no one—goes to a rival team’s message board seeking civil conversation. You can use big words and pepper your posts with little notes about roster talent, but at the end of the day what you’re doing is trolling. It’s trolling with proper grammar and a bloated sense of self-importance, but it’s trolling all the same. In fact, it’s worse than trolling. What you’re doing here—the elaborate performance of civility, the smarmy little sniffs about "character," the fainting-couch reaction to vulgarity (on the internet, of all places!)—is so much more galling than someone just driving by and shouting “JETS R GAY” out the window. And of course the second Ape mentioned the fact that Allen is an inaccurate quarterback (which is an indisputable fact, however crudely stated by him), the mask came off and it was all carved up this and lost jock straps that. Not to mention the fact that going all Helen Lovejoy over my post very conveniently allowed you to avoid discussing the fact that a 200-yard passing day with three turnovers does not fit any known definition of “carved up,” or the fact that Sam Darnold put up 14 points in the fourth quarter, on the road, against the 2nd-ranked pass defense in the NFL. (Also, in re my onions: I have more than 18,000 posts here. I’ve seen every single kind of Jets loss imaginable. So yes, if the Jets lose on Sunday, I will have the “onions” to come here. To a Jets message board.) Anyway, color me singularly unimpressed with this whole act. You don’t like vulgarity? Fine. I can’t imagine anyone here will take it personally if you put them on ignore. But for someone so invested in a civil football conversation, you’ve spent most of this thread avoiding football talk and pouting that things aren’t going your way. Sell it somewhere else, Frasier.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I’ll tell you exactly what my problem is, good sir! No one—no one—goes to a rival team’s message board seeking civil conversation. You can use big words and pepper your posts with little notes about roster talent, but at the end of the day what you’re doing is trolling. It’s trolling with proper grammar and a bloated sense of self-importance, but it’s trolling all the same. In fact, it’s worse than trolling. What you’re doing here—the elaborate performance of civility, the smarmy little sniffs about "character," the fainting-couch reaction to vulgarity (on the internet, of all places!)—is so much more galling than someone just driving by and shouting “JETS R GAY” out the window. And of course the second Ape mentioned the fact that Allen is an inaccurate quarterback (which is an indisputable fact, however crudely stated by him), the mask came off and it was all carved up this and lost jock straps that. Not to mention the fact that going all Helen Lovejoy over my post very conveniently allowed you to avoid discussing the fact that a 200-yard passing day with three turnovers does not fit any known definition of “carved up,” or the fact that Sam Darnold put up 14 points in the fourth quarter, on the road, against the 2nd-ranked pass defense in the NFL. (Also, in re my onions: I have more than 18,000 posts here. I’ve seen every single kind of Jets loss imaginable. So yes, if the Jets lose on Sunday, I will have the “onions” to come here. To a Jets message board.) Anyway, color me singularly unimpressed with this whole act. You don’t like vulgarity? Fine. I can’t imagine anyone here will take it personally if you put them on ignore. But for someone so invested in a civil football conversation, you’ve spent most of this thread avoiding football talk and pouting that things aren’t going your way. Sell it somewhere else, Frasier.

This might be the first time I’ve seen a post from you longer than 2 sentences and sans images, and I have to say, it’s marvelous. 

• Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Pity your parents brought you up to be classless, ill informed and rude.  Civility is something that should be appreciated, not mocked.  Discourse from opposing sides of a point makes for interesting conversation.

However, let look at football 

I think we can honestly say that Darnold is further along then Josh Allen.  Not by as much as you think however.  Fact is Darnold had a better line, better receivers and still was not that much better when you add up all the statistics.  That does include rushing and total turnovers.

Bell is the best RB on the field Sunday, but how will he look after a full year off?  The Jets offensive line is no where close to the Steelers and Mr. Bell may find the going a bit tougher then in 2017.  Bills running game is a big time mystery, three new backs, four new offensive linemen, all new Te’s. Think Bills line is better and that makes the running game just about even.  WR, Brown, Jones and Beasley are slightly better then Anderson, Enuawa and Crowder, both last season and for a career.  Your TE is suspended for being a drunken driver, the Bills are just youthful.  On defense both teams have excellent lines, the back 7 is not even close.  You have Mosley, Adams and Maye and what the hell else.  No outside pass rush, lousy corners, and who is going to spy Josh Allen.  If I recall didn’t Robert Foster catch about 12 passes for 200 yards against you last year.  Your special teams advantage is now place kicking for another team and your pro bowl kick returner is wearing a Bills uniform.

Think I’ve established my credentials as a gentlemen and knowledgeable football fan, let’s see what you got.  Bring it!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

You might be right, it may be a form of trolling, but what's the harm in discussing the game of the week with some rival fans?   We disagree enough with each other. In addition we might get some added insight into what's happening with that team that I wouldn't know from the sites I frequent.  You obviously like a good debate and certainly countered his football arguments without much trouble, especially in the above post when you dropped the profanity, so I'm not sure why it gets under your skin so much.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, docdhc said:

You might be right, it may be a form of trolling, but what's the harm in discussing the game of the week with some rival fans?   We disagree enough with each other. In addition we might get some added insight into what's happening with that team that I wouldn't know from the sites I frequent.  You obviously like a good debate and certainly countered his football arguments without much trouble, especially in the above post when you dropped the profanity, so I'm not sure why it gets under your skin so much.

I get under his skin because I challenge his prevailing thought and like others who like to bully just don’t know what to do when the person they try to bully stands up to them and puts their finger in his chest.

I’ve given him footballs topics to digest, let’s see if he has any game or not.

32 minutes ago, Billsfan64 said:

Appreciate the welcome.  

Think Darnold and Allen will both end up being outstanding.  Jets need a couple of more drafts to add depth as their previous GM blew pick after pick outside the first round.  So I honestly think the Bills are a bit ahead in their rebuild.

Only time will tell and the first statement will be made on Sunday

It all begins with the QB, and Darnold is better than Allen, now and in the future.  I believe our offense will be dynamic this season as long as we stay healthy.  I don't have the same feeling for the Bills.

Bills defense is stout, and will keep them in games this year.  

I see a low scoring game.  Jets win 17-10.  

Jets will win 8 games this year; Buffalo 7 wins.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Billsfan64 said:

I get under his skin because I challenge his prevailing thought and like others who like to bully just don’t know what to do when the person they try to bully stands up to them and puts their finger in his chest.

I’ve given him footballs topics to digest, let’s see if he has any game or not.

He's not a bully and he's a staple on a board where all thoughts are challenged, and he seemed to counter your football arguments without any problem.  It just seems to annoy him.

7 minutes ago, docdhc said:

He's not a bully and he's a staple on a board where all thoughts are challenged, and he seemed to counter your football arguments without any problem.  It just seems to annoy him.

I’m still waiting for his “football take” response.

18,000 posts don’t necessarily mean knowledge, just means he has nothing better to occupy his time.

3 hours ago, Billsfan64 said:

We shall see on Sunday, he carved up the Jets pretty well last year in Buffalo in a game lost due to Andre Roberts big kickoff returns.  BTW, you cut him now he is returning kicks for the Bills.

Hope you have a plan in place to stop the “retain possession passes” coming to Cole Beasley.  Can any of the sorry corners the Jets have keep up with John Brown or Robert Foster?

Cant wait to see your 85 million dollar LB lose his jock strap when Allen blows past him.

Ah, this is so salty.  I like it.  Stick around.  It's all fun.  Just beat the Pats, alright?

And Josh Allen will be an interesting watch.  Love the arm strength and running ability but his accuracy rivals Uncle Rico.  There's a good chance that fans in the stands end up with more footballs than kids get baseballs at a MLB game.

3 hours ago, Billsfan64 said:

Must suck not to go to a Super Bowl in 50 years.  How many relics from the 68 Jets are still alive?

It does suck.  We're working to change that.  Is your Lombardi trophy shinier than ours?

Sorry...I'm just asking for a friend.

That friend is Scott Norwood.

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Billsfan64 said:

Might I ask what your problem is?  I come in, draft a civil post and you go into an obscenity laced tirade.

Sorry, I won’t join you in the gutter, but let’s see if you have the onions to show up about 4:30 on Sunday as the Jets are in the locker room looking forward to the first win the next week against Cleveland.

I’m guessing you lack character and will crawl back under the rock from whence you came after the Jets lose Sunday

Your starting RB is 36.  Gore is 36.........

1 minute ago, Billsfan64 said:

Our starting running back is 22.  Yours hasn’t played in over a year.

Bet Singletary has more yards rushing then Bell on Sunday.

Now that's an interesting bet.

Rushing yards or total yards?  For the record, I like Singletary.  Took him as my RB4 in Fantasy this year.  The Bills like him too or else they wouldn't have let Shady go.  But he's still a rookie and there are growing pains.

My honest prediction is Jets 24 Bills 17.  I think the difference will be Darnold on one or two series where he converts 3rd downs.  I think the Jets will have a solid Run defense, it's their pass D that's a big concern at the moment.  Wouldn't be surprised if Gregg Williams tries to scheme some things to take away Brown over the top and then brackets Beasley in the slot.  The Jets game plan should be to take away the run and then force Allen to make challenging throws that require accuracy.

On offense I want to see the Jets do enough up front with the OLine to establish the run, bring in the Buffalo LBs to help against the run, and then use Crowder to carve up the short/intermediate vacancies.

28 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Now that's an interesting bet.

Rushing yards or total yards?  For the record, I like Singletary.  Took him as my RB4 in Fantasy this year.  The Bills like him too or else they wouldn't have let Shady go.  But he's still a rookie and there are growing pains.

My honest prediction is Jets 24 Bills 17.  I think the difference will be Darnold on one or two series where he converts 3rd downs.  I think the Jets will have a solid Run defense, it's their pass D that's a big concern at the moment.  Wouldn't be surprised if Gregg Williams tries to scheme some things to take away Brown over the top and then brackets Beasley in the slot.  The Jets game plan should be to take away the run and then force Allen to make challenging throws that require accuracy.

On offense I want to see the Jets do enough up front with the OLine to establish the run, bring in the Buffalo LBs to help against the run, and then use Crowder to carve up the short/intermediate vacancies.

Here is how I see the game playing out.  Bills try and establish Allen to Beasley, Jets shift to a 4-2-5, bring safety up to work with slot corner to take Beasley away, this has additional benefit of having a quicker player in the short zone to spy Allen.  This strategy leaves the corners 1 on 1 against Bills receivers.  If Allen has time he can burn the Jets deep.  Bills will test the running game inside the tackles and mix Singletary and Gore and try to exploit Jet weakness at OLB with Jet sweep type of runs.  If the Bills get one or two deep plays the Jets will have to drop into zone coverage leaving the Bills short to intermediate passing game in play.

On defense Bills d line should control the Jets o line, making Edmunds and Milano to tie up Bell in the running game.  With no TE threat and Tredavious White taking out Anderson it’s up to slit corner Taron Johnson to take away key 3rd down possession catches by Crowder.  Thinking is that Edmunds is bigger and faster and as maneuverable as Bell and Montgomery closing down that option to Darnold.

Field position will be critical and Bills punting leaves much to be desired.  But they did focus on a total rebuild of the special teams and Andre Roberts May swing the game in the Bills favor with key punt returns.

In summary think score will be 14-10 Bills at half, 20-13 end of the 3rd and will end 23-13 with a late Darnold turnover ending the last threat as Bills go into 4 minute offense and wind down the clock.

Hi, 
Thank you for the quality response.  Looking at Allen last year I saw a QB before injury that had no clue as to the speed of the NFL.  After he came back from injury was light years better.  He had a garbage o line, and terrible receivers. He now has had a full offseason to develop, has 8 new starters on offense and a legitimate go to guy in Cole Beasley.
Lastly, if Allen’s targets did not drop catchable passes (Bills worst in the league in 2018) he would have completed about 61% of his pass attempts.

Slot receivers are only helpful for accurate QB’s. Beasley will be watching throws sail past him just like everybody else

And it’s cute how you used the drop rate excuse to prop up his completion %. Are you also going to remove the difficult passes his receivers hauled in to bail him out?

This is the NFL. Drops and “catchable balls missed” are baked into the fabric of the game. Handing him all the drops as completions is what Jets fans did around here to defend Mark Sanchez. It’s not a real argument.
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Billsfan64 said:

Good Day Jets fans.

Go bodyslam a girl through a flaming table.

• Haha 2