Jets hold players-only powwow to avoid nasty breaking point

October 7, 2019 | 6:04pm | Updated 

Several Jets veterans tried to save their season Monday by delivering speeches to the team about sticking together and finding a way out of this 0-4 hole.

Defensive end Leonard Williams said it was a natural time to assess their season in a players-only meeting with a quarter of it done. Much like a game, they divide the season into four quarters. The first quarter of this season has not been kind to the Jets, who lost 31-6 on Sunday to the Eagles.

“There’s four quarters in the season and we’ve gone through our first quarter of the season now and we are 0-4 and we understand that we haven’t had a fast start to our season and it’s not where we want to be but at the same time the season’s not over,” Williams said. “Just like how if you lose the first quarter, the game is not over. We believe there’s a lot to fight for.”

The Jets’ hellish schedule continues over the next two weeks with games against the Cowboys and Patriots at home. It is unclear whether starting quarterback Sam Darnold will be back this week. Coach Adam Gase said Darnold, who has missed the last three games with mononucleosis, will undergo tests Tuesday to see if doctors are ready to clear him.

Even with Darnold, the Jets have many issues to clean up. Their offense has scored just two touchdowns this season (one with Darnold). The offensive line has given up a league-high 23 sacks. They have gained only 454 yards this season in four games. By comparison, the Patriots had 442 yards Sunday against the Redskins.

Enlarge Image

“It’s probably more than just Sam getting out there,” Gase said. “We’ve got a lot of other things to clean up. Sam’s able to hide things sometimes for us where if we make a mistake, he covers it up. I think we just need to do a better job as a group making sure we’re all 11 on the same page.”

The offense is a mess right now. It allowed 10 sacks against the Eagles and had just nine first downs. Much of that is due to Darnold’s absence. Third-string quarterback Luke Falk is not ready to play in the NFL, but the unit is also adjusting to Gase’s system. The Jets started two new offensive linemen Sunday and wide receiver Demaryius Thomas made his first extended appearance in the offense.

“We took our turns as far as what we were doing,” Gase said. “Overall, we just haven’t played very well. There’s no way around it. We just haven’t played very good as an offense in general.”

While the offense has sputtered, the Jets defense has been pretty good. They have scored as many touchdowns as the offense this season, which tells you everything you need to know about the two units.

The danger facing Gase and the Jets right now is a splintering in the locker room. It would be easy for the defense to resent the offense right now. That was one thing the players discussed Monday. Williams said veteran center Ryan Kalil’s message stood out to him among the players who spoke.

“What he was saying was we just have to stay level-headed and not get too high when we win and not get too down when we lose and just not being on a roller coaster and just stay level,” Williams said. “He’s been in this league for a long time, so hearing it from a guy like that meant a lot.”
Williams said the players are trying to keep believing.

“There has been some vets that spoke up and said they were on teams that were definitely a lot worse than this,” Williams said. “We have a lot of talent. We’re 0-4 right now but the season’s not over and we still have a lot to fight for.

“This is not the time to point fingers at any position, any group. This is a time to fight for one another and lean on one another.”

image.gif

Ask yourself is you are concerned about this....“It’s probably more than just Sam getting out there,” Gase said. “We’ve got a lot of other things to clean up. Sam’s able to hide things sometimes for us where if we make a mistake, he covers it up. I think we just need to do a better job as a group making sure we’re all 11 on the same page.”  NOT ON THE SAME PAGE.... I don't know what the hell this coaching staff is doing but its not  working …. and that sad part about this is they had an extra week to prepare and still looked completely incompetent and inept. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, SOJ said:

Ask yourself is you are concerned about this....“It’s probably more than just Sam getting out there,” Gase said. “We’ve got a lot of other things to clean up. Sam’s able to hide things sometimes for us where if we make a mistake, he covers it up. I think we just need to do a better job as a group making sure we’re all 11 on the same page.”  NOT ON THE SAME PAGE.... I don't know what the hell this coaching staff is doing but its not  working …. and that sad part about this is they had an extra week to prepare and still looked completely incompetent and inept. 

To be fair, it's hard to have everyone on the same page when both your eyes are reading completely different pages simultaneously.

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 2

October 7, 2019 | 6:04pm | Updated 

Several Jets veterans tried to save their season Monday by delivering speeches to the team about sticking together and finding a way out of this 0-4 hole.

Defensive end Leonard Williams said it was a natural time to assess their season in a players-only meeting with a quarter of it done. Much like a game, they divide the season into four quarters. The first quarter of this season has not been kind to the Jets, who lost 31-6 on Sunday to the Eagles.

“There’s four quarters in the season and we’ve gone through our first quarter of the season now and we are 0-4 and we understand that we haven’t had a fast start to our season and it’s not where we want to be but at the same time the season’s not over,” Williams said. “Just like how if you lose the first quarter, the game is not over. We believe there’s a lot to fight for.”

The Jets’ hellish schedule continues over the next two weeks with games against the Cowboys and Patriots at home. It is unclear whether starting quarterback Sam Darnold will be back this week. Coach Adam Gase said Darnold, who has missed the last three games with mononucleosis, will undergo tests Tuesday to see if doctors are ready to clear him.

Even with Darnold, the Jets have many issues to clean up. Their offense has scored just two touchdowns this season (one with Darnold). The offensive line has given up a league-high 23 sacks. They have gained only 454 yards this season in four games. By comparison, the Patriots had 442 yards Sunday against the Redskins.

Enlarge Image

“It’s probably more than just Sam getting out there,” Gase said. “We’ve got a lot of other things to clean up. Sam’s able to hide things sometimes for us where if we make a mistake, he covers it up. I think we just need to do a better job as a group making sure we’re all 11 on the same page.”

The offense is a mess right now. It allowed 10 sacks against the Eagles and had just nine first downs. Much of that is due to Darnold’s absence. Third-string quarterback Luke Falk is not ready to play in the NFL, but the unit is also adjusting to Gase’s system. The Jets started two new offensive linemen Sunday and wide receiver Demaryius Thomas made his first extended appearance in the offense.

“We took our turns as far as what we were doing,” Gase said. “Overall, we just haven’t played very well. There’s no way around it. We just haven’t played very good as an offense in general.”

While the offense has sputtered, the Jets defense has been pretty good. They have scored as many touchdowns as the offense this season, which tells you everything you need to know about the two units.

The danger facing Gase and the Jets right now is a splintering in the locker room. It would be easy for the defense to resent the offense right now. That was one thing the players discussed Monday. Williams said veteran center Ryan Kalil’s message stood out to him among the players who spoke.

“What he was saying was we just have to stay level-headed and not get too high when we win and not get too down when we lose and just not being on a roller coaster and just stay level,” Williams said. “He’s been in this league for a long time, so hearing it from a guy like that meant a lot.”
Williams said the players are trying to keep believing.

“There has been some vets that spoke up and said they were on teams that were definitely a lot worse than this,” Williams said. “We have a lot of talent. We’re 0-4 right now but the season’s not over and we still have a lot to fight for.

“This is not the time to point fingers at any position, any group. This is a time to fight for one another and lean on one another.”

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Thank you for posting this in a human readable format. NASA is still working on my telescope to read @joewilly12 posts.

Im sorry I cant figure out why my system does that. I have to get one of my kids to fix or adjust. 

Im having issues copy and pasting without having that border also. 

I have been a Jets fan since they won their lone SB and I have seen some AWFUL play from the Jets since then but I have never seen the Jets look like they did the first half of this last Eagles game.

Indeed in the Kotitie years, the team played very very poorly BUT they were deceptive, in that, they sort of imploded in games and seemed a step slower in terms of preparation then the other teams they played.... BUT YESTERDAY!

Yesterday was different, the TEAM STUNK, I MEAN WE STUNK!!!

The Jets for really the first time in my lifetime looked like there was no WAY on earth that they were a professional football team.  They were more reminiscent of the early 60's Mets Teams to me without any of the lovability (if there is such a word) that surrounded that team. We were a joke.....

It was embarrassing in the extreme......

And I don't care if "Joe the Hot Dog Vendor" was under center, you should look better than that on offense. 20 plus drives without getting a first down... Last in almost EVERY meaningful statistic that the NFL measures!!!!

Can anyone in their right mind imagine if Bell wasn't on the team!!! 

In truth if Bell wasn't out there, I feel like the Jets could have just forfeited from the beginning thereby avoiding risk of injury to innocent players and I have never felt like that before, ever.

So NO..................................................... Sam Darnold coming back can not cover this stench and no team should be this bad without one player.  Tom Brady couldn't turn this around by himself!

So no Gase shouldn't be fired yet, but if the Jets play like this when Darnold gets back, Gase should be on a very short leash, with one more season to go, cause yesterday's game had me yearning for Todd Bowles and that alone was MADNESS!!

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

What you like about all of this is that there hasn’t been one leak with a grumbling douche player who’s anonymously blasting Gase or Falk or even Gregg Williams, and you know Manish is trying to find that one cockroach. It’s clear that the team knows the QB is non-competitive and it’s screwing the rest of the team. You really have to be encouraged by that, at least. The only apparent malcontent is The Prez, who’s currently on a shoe-gazing tour of self-pity and self-promotion. What a loser.

Did you get kicked out of the Knights of Columbus tonight for stealing pickled eggs out of the jar or what..you are all riled up posting horse sh*t nonsense and bashing 1 of our best players again. Go crack open can of Natty Ice that you store in the shared bathroom toilet tank sit down and turn on your 12" tube TV and watch Monday Night football or the Yankees game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Did you get kicked out of the Knights of Columbus tonight for stealing pickled eggs out of the jar or what..you are all riled up posting horse sh*t nonsense and bashing 1 of our best players again. Go crack open can of Natty Ice that you store in the shared bathroom toilet tank sit down and turn on your 12" tube TV and watch Monday Night football or the Yankees game. 

I’m making a coffee table book out of these screeds