Tony Pauline on Leveon Bell+more

SR24

1 minute ago, jetsons said:

Why waste a draft pick on a rb when you Already have An All Pro at that position?... the oline Blows... wasting a draft pick with an atrocious oline will Not improve Anything... just wasting a draft pick & losing money on Bell's contract... Fix The oline & things will change for the Better.

Why? Because we need to get younger and faster at the RB position and this draft has some great RB's in it. 

Most teams in the playoffs have a 1-2 punch at RB with speed we have no speed. 

7 minutes ago, RobR said:

You can keep preaching but no one is listening. Bell is a shell of what he was capable of, yet most people here either can't see it, or are in denial about it. I'm liking JD more and more if this story rings true and we jettison a player that we shouldn't have signed in the first place.  

Maybe he's lost half a step, but it's hard to tell with how dog**** the o-line was this season. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Maybe he's lost half a step, but it's hard to tell with how dog**** the o-line was this season. 

When a RB that runs a 4.7 on his best day loses a step you have Leveon Bell circa 2019. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Why? Because we need to get younger and faster at the RB position and this draft has some great RB's in it. 

Most teams in the playoffs have a 1-2 punch at RB with speed we have no speed. 

That's fine but getting rid of Bell & eating a good portion of his contract is moronic... The OLINE Controls Everything on the offesive side of the ball... The OLINE Requires TOP Priority in This Draft... drafting a viable rb in the later rds is fine... but depending how the draft plays out Oline/WR/CB/Edge should be looked at first.

Hope it brings back a good pick or clears cap. Sucks but it is what it is this draft is deep at OL and so is free agency. If we moved some pieces around you could easily add 4 new OL this offseason while addressing other positions as well

6 minutes ago, jetsons said:

That's fine but getting rid of Bell & eating a good portion of his contract is moronic... The OLINE Controls Everything on the offesive side of the ball... The OLINE Requires TOP Priority in This Draft... drafting a viable rb in the later rds is fine... but depending how the draft plays out Oline/WR/CB/Edge should be looked at first.

Keep Bell and speed and youth, I repeat most teams remaining in the playoffs have a 1-2 punch at RB. 

S.F may have 3-4. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Let's not make this another Gase hate thread.

Be smart.  Bell is a square peg in a round hole.  What he needs is an elite offensive line skilled in slide-blocking and we don't have that.  We have a group of guys that when healthy can barely pass block.  Bell is a finesse runner.  He needs time to juke and find developing holes.  He requires a line we don't have.

SAR I

there's a lot of truth in this.  nothing else can account for such a steep decline in ypc.  but at the same time a coupe of good olinemen should fix things up pretty well even accounting for bell's run style.  and bell needs to join the team for the off season workouts and not expect he can simply train on his own.  he may be able to but given last year's showing he should want to hit the ground running, not only for the jets but for his new potential team.

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The best strategy for a team full of holes, is always to go out and create addition holes to fill - even if you have a potential HOFer already plugging that hole.

It's definitly also a good strategy to hold onto high priced players well passed thier prime. Belichick has won many a game with such a strategy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, RobR said:

From reading the threads here you would never know. It's 100% on our Oline when we have a RB that would lumber to a 4.9 forty.

Capture.jpg

By running straight ahead through the same offensive line, Bilal Powell ran for 21% more yards per carry.

One can argue that he would have had the same pathetic 3 TD's if he were the starter.  And Darnold would have 5 less interceptions as he wouldn't have been in 3rd and long seemingly on every set of downs.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

The combination of losing half a step and having a meandering style means he isn't that good here, certainly not going to be great behind a weak and injured OL.

I blame Bell for one thing-  not changing his style.  I mean, now hard is it to run straight ahead at full speed?  How many games does it take for him to realize that he can't do that side stepping stuff?  Baffling.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

Trade him to the Chiefs who desperately need a #1 RB. I'd take a 2nd and Damien Williams in return. 

That gives the Jets a valuable pick with now 5 in the top 80 and a change of pace back who is a good receiver out of the backfield.  He'd be on the last year of his deal at $2.8 million. I'd take that all day. 

30 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Sure, let's get rid of a HOF caliber player because our loser coach doesn't know how to use him.

A HOF caliber RB would figure out a way to get 100 yards in a game behind a below average line, wouldn't he?

Last year, Isaiah Crowell averaged 4.8 yards per carry and scored 6 TD's.  Bell was 3.2 and 3 TD's.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, CTM said:

It's definitly also a good strategy to hold onto high priced players well passed thier prime. Belichick has won many a game with such a strategy.

I expect more intelligent counterpoints from you. Beli avoids paying high second contracts. He cuts guys loose rather than paying them, and almost always has the replacement on-roster already. The Jets already paid Bell, so it’s not an avoidance. They don’t have the replacement, so it’s not a strategic move to preserve cap space.

Basically you’re comparing apples and oranges.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

A HOF caliber RB would figure out a way to get 100 yards in a game behind a below average line, wouldn't he?

Last year, Isaiah Crowell averaged 4.8 yards per carry and scored 6 TD's.  Bell was 3.2 and 3 TD's.

SAR I

Yes, and in 1984 Neil Lomax had more yards than Joe Montana.

That proves nothing.