Rumors, Leaks, Reports, Whines, in 2020 Free Agency

jetstream23

Joe Douglas has to run around and beg guys who play the highest priced positions in the game to take supermax deals because Maccagnan left the cupboard so bare that the roster doesn’t even have viable backups at those positions. No worries, though. We’re all locked in at middle linebacker and strong safety. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Interesting.  I cant wait to see what that contract would like and the absolute rage that would ensue after years of bitching and moaning about committing to offense.

I’d imagine it would take something like 5 years, $90 million with around $45 million guaranteed.

And that’s fine with me.

Improving the talent around Darnold has to be the highest priority and Conklin is one of the better RT’s in the league and just entering his prime.

Just now, Untouchable said:

I’d imagine it would take something like 5 years, $90 million with around $45 million guaranteed.

And that’s fine with me.

Improving the talent around Darnold has to be the highest priority and Conklin is one of the better RT’s in the league and just entering his prime.

I know, I just also know this site only wants All-Pro's at every position on rookie contracts so the rage will be fun.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

No homer, I like Fowler.  He's getting better and hitting his prime.  The only thing that worries me is character, he seems like the type that could burn you.  Though, he was the 3rd overall pick so he's made money.  While we should be prioritizing offense, I think I could dig Fowler, especially a year with basically zero interesting pass rushers after Chase Young. 

That is what scares me about him.  He had his first double digit sack season in a contract year.  Is he just a late bloomer ready to take the next step; or will he be the type of guy that gets paid and mails it in.  I think he is a risk worth taking; but I would sure hope we could structure a deal with an early out in case he dogs it.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is when I start getting nervous.  If we're kicking the tires on pass rushers and corners, Douglas better have some cap clearing measures in place and/or only plans on signing 1 of the 2, not both.  I just think both will be very costly and could impact our ability to gain some flexibility on offense heading into the draft.

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Joe Douglas has to run around and beg guys who play the highest priced positions in the game to take supermax deals because Maccagnan left the cupboard so bare that the roster doesn’t even have viable backups at those positions. No worries, though. We’re all locked in at middle linebacker and strong safety. 

captain-obvious-gif-8.gif

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

No homer, I like Fowler.  He's getting better and hitting his prime.  The only thing that worries me is character, he seems like the type that could burn you.  Though, he was the 3rd overall pick so he's made money.  While we should be prioritizing offense, I think I could dig Fowler, especially a year with basically zero interesting pass rushers after Chase Young. 

He seems like a guy you wouldn’t want to lock up to a big cap charge for multiple seasons because of those character concerns, imo

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

That is what scares me about him.  He had his first double digit sack season in a contract year.  Is he just a late bloomer ready to take the next step; or will he be the type of guy that gets paid and mails it in.  I think he is a risk worth taking; but I would sure hope we could structure a deal with an early out in case he dogs it.

He did sign a prove it deal with L.A. this offseason, which he did, so it wouldnt shock me if they tried to retain him even though they didnt tag him.

I think he's grown up a bit.  He was 20 when he was drafted and I think getting out of the state of Florida was good for him.  He had a bunch of bad influences around him here and he never was able to get his head right in Jax.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think with a specimen like Fowler, you have to take the good with the bad. Otherwise, he's not a FA right now

FTR i think it's a no brainer. I feel better about coaxing double digit sacks out of Fowler than paying Byron Jones 17million a year to pull a Tru

Agreed.  I'd rather have Fowler over a high priced Jones, all day.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He seems like a guy you wouldn’t want to lock up to a big cap charge for multiple seasons because of those character concerns, imo

For sure, though he did kill it this year on a prove it deal so who knows but this would be my biggest concern.  If he's all in, I'm not worried about production.  Kid can play.

I have no clue what he'd cost but if they can structure it so that it's front loaded and get out quick if it backfires, he fills a desperate need. 

• Upvote 1