Rumors, Leaks, Reports, Whines, in 2020 Free Agency

jetstream23

Tony Pauline on Byron Jones

Throughout the week of the NFL Combine, everything I heard pointed to the Philadelphia Eagles being the favorite for CB Byron Jones. Then late in the weekend, someone told me to ‘expect the Eagles and Giants to get into a bidding war for Jones.’ As I reported last week – Jones is going to make a lot of money and he’ll be able to pick the team he wants to play for.”

1 hour ago, King P said:

Goodwins numbers are marginally worse than Anderson, his best year is similar to andersons best year and goodwin is getting 5 mill a year.

Not saying he is better than Anderson but a pause for thought when thinking about giving robbie 10 plus a year.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Goodwins numbers are marginally worse than Anderson, his best year is similar to andersons best year and goodwin is getting 5 mill a year.

Not saying he is better than Anderson but a pause for though when thinking about giving robbie 10 plus a year.

I think the guys like Shefter and Rap are starting to get bored too?

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Not saying he is better than Anderson but a pause for thought when thinking about giving robbie 10 plus a year.

If you were the GM and had the choice of paying Robby $10m or controlling Goodwin for 2 yrs at $5m but had to give up a 4th rounder what would you do?

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

If you were the GM and had the choice of paying Robby $10m or controlling Goodwin for 2 yrs at $5m but had to give up a 4th rounder what would you do?

I would not pay a 4th rounder and I would pay  robbie if that 10 million was the upper limit.  And only because we have the cap space.  I'd also not make a long range commitment to him.  For 10 million short term or he can walk.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

You don’t want Goodwin not only is he not good he’s very injury prone

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

We may be in perfect spot to trade back for someone who wants to jump the Raiders for a WR.

Denver is #15. According to chart, going to 11 would cost an extra 200 pts. That would fit perfectly with their 3rd rd pick, which would give us 68, 77 &79 in 3rd. If we asked for their 2nd, #46, it would be 200 pts to the good for us. But, if they really want a guy......

• Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Denver is #15. According to chart, going to 11 would cost an extra 200 pts. That would fit perfectly with their 3rd rd pick, which would give us 68, 77 &79 in 3rd. If we asked for their 2nd, #46, it would be 200 pts to the good for us. But, if they really want a guy......

I’d do it for a 2nd but for another 3rd? Meh. I’d rather stay put and take Ruggs or Jeudy. (Assuming the top OL are gone)

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

It could well be a huge decision for Douglas, who could be sitting at 11 deciding to draft wills or Thomas, or trade back 4 spots and risk not getting one of them, and it could all depend on how much they like someone like josh jones.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

It could well be a huge decision for Douglas, who could be sitting at 11 deciding to draft wills or Thomas, or trade back 4 spots and risk not getting one of them, and it could all depend on how much they like someone like josh jones.

I know it will change 600x by draft night, but this guy is starting to get some love.

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Don't know which is crazier.  Making an offer like this to Dak.  Or Dak turning it down. 

Dak turning it down!!  Maybe Dak wants a Brady deal.... "I'll take less, but my NEW beverage/food management co. manages ALL concession business  with a 20% cut of profits.

• Sympathy 1

Jery should have fixed this years ago - Dak is probably owed $30m for the last four years making less than most backups

He played out a four year, $2.7 million contract as the starting QB for "America's team"... pay the man

Never happen, but would like to see more performance based pay (and charge backs) in the CBA

Dak works hard, plays well and baby huey makes 10x eating cheeseburgers 

• Upvote 2

On 3/7/2020 at 11:17 AM, Lith said:

We may be in perfect spot to trade back for someone who wants to jump the Raiders for a WR.

I mentioned in the draft forum a few weeks before the combine that people who have been around Ruggs and working with him during pre draft workouts, think he will be the best WR in this draft.  This wasn’t coming from just  “his” people but other scouts and personnel guys.  IMO there is a real possibility that JD drafts Ruggs if he is there at 11 and his top two OTs are off the board.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

.  IMO there is a real possibility that JD drafts Ruggs if he is there at 11 and his top two OTs are off the board.  

I just want to see JD take a view and have a philosophy for building a winner and not just take the highest rated player available in PFW. 

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I mentioned in the draft forum a few weeks before the combine that people who have been around Ruggs and working with him during pre draft workouts, think he will be the best WR in this draft.  This wasn’t coming from just  “his” people but other scouts and personnel guys.  IMO there is a real possibility that JD drafts Ruggs if he is there at 11 and his top two OTs are off the board.  

i can't see this happening at 11.  but i do think the 11 spot is a prime trade up spot for a wr. 

i think douglas will have a difficult decision to make right away.  my prediction is that at least 1 of wills or thomas will be there at 11, if not both, and he will be fielding calls to move back a few slots to teams can jump up for one of the top wrs.  how much difference in the OT rankings will there be, for douglas to forgo someone like wills and take josh jones?  prediction, i think he stays at 11 and takes the best OT, especially if wills, wirfs of bechton are there.  but yeah, i think teams will want to move up, so if there isn't much of a difference in the OT rankings it may make sense. 

• Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Jery should have fixed this years ago - Dak is probably owed $30m for the last four years making less than most backups

He played out a four year, $2.7 million contract as the starting QB for "America's team"... pay the man

Never happen, but would like to see more performance based pay (and charge backs) in the CBA

Well, with the CBA, you can't renegotiate until after the players 3rd year, so at best Jerry could have fixed this a year ago.  They've also been working on a deal for about a year, dak just  wants more than jerry wants to pay 

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i can't see this happening at 11.  but i do think the 11 spot is a prime trade up spot for a wr. 

i think douglas will have a difficult decision to make right away.  my prediction is that at least 1 of wills or thomas will be there at 11, if not both, and he will be fielding calls to move back a few slots to teams can jump up for one of the top wrs.  how much difference in the OT rankings will there be, for douglas to forgo someone like wills and take josh jones?  prediction, i think he stays at 11 and takes the best OT, especially if wills, wirfs of bechton are there.  but yeah, i think teams will want to move up, so if there isn't much of a difference in the OT rankings it may make sense. 

I get the consensus thinking is OT in the first, but if the OTs that JD really like are gone, I would not be shocked if he took Ruggs.  The trade back thing may make sense, but I feel like he would just grab the elite WR prospect and look for o-line later.  Especially if some solid starting O-linemen are acquired via free agency and the trade market.  

On 3/7/2020 at 9:35 AM, Samtorobby47 said:

I’d do it for a 2nd but for another 3rd? Meh. I’d rather stay put and take Ruggs or Jeudy. (Assuming the top OL are gone)

This

I’m not even sold on doing it for a 2nd.

Would be the Jetsiest sh*t ever to trade down, miss out on the Top 4 OT’s and Top 3 WR’s all for an extra 3rd round pick.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I get the consensus thinking is OT in the first, but if the OTs that JD really like are gone, I would not be shocked if he took Ruggs.  The trade back thing may make sense, but I feel like he would just grab the elite WR prospect and look for o-line later.  Especially if some solid starting O-linemen are acquired via free agency and the trade market.  

i just don't see this happening.  the OL needs so much and the value is there.   even if they can't keep robbie, they can take an OT in the first and still get 2 good wr prospects on day 2.  they cant' mess around with the OL anymore.  i'd rather have wills/pittman than ruggs/whichever OT falls to them in round 2.  

• Sympathy 1

On 3/7/2020 at 11:37 AM, Augustiniak said:

If Wills is there at 11 Jets better waste no time. I wouldn't mind trading back for another 2nd or 3rd and picking up Josh Jones but I do think Wills will be an elite OT.

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Jerry offered to pay him over $100MM guaranteed.  Average of $33MM per year.  At least that is what was reported.  I assume Dak is looking to eclipse Russell Wilson as highest paid player at $35MM plus.  Will be interesting to see how thisone plays out and how Dak's pay will impact Cowboys' ability to surrpound him with enough talent to win.

• Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i just don't see this happening.  the OL needs so much and the value is there.   even if they can't keep robbie, they can take an OT in the first and still get 2 good wr prospects on day 2.  they cant' mess around with the OL anymore.  i'd rather have wills/pittman than ruggs/whichever OT falls to them in round 2.  

Like I said, I think the consensus is he goes OT in the first, but I doubt he has a list of 5 OTs he’s comfortable taking before he would draft a WR.  Also, the free agency period will define this some more.  

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Jerry offered to pay him over $100MM guaranteed.  Average of $33MM per year.  At least that is what was reported.  I assume Dak is looking to eclipse Russell Wilson as highest paid player at $35MM plus.  Will be interesting to see how thisone plays out and how Dak's pay will impact Cowboys' ability to surrpound him with enough talent to win.

Wilson > Prescott and it's not even close...

• Upvote 4