Jack Conklin may be headed to the Jets

6 minutes ago, docdhc said:

His PFF grade last year 2019 was 78, and he also played all 16 games last year.

screw PFF but I like the fact he played all 16 games last season after the injury. I’m fine with the financial risk because he showed he can play at a high level again for an entire season. We need top tier talent on the line so paying for one is cool by me.

23 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He would definitely stay at RT, IMO

I hope so.  If you're going to spend big $$$ on a FA don't try to force him into a different spot just because you have a need there.

Sign Conklin and check the box at RT.  Then, try to re-sign Beachum with the goal of drafting a LT of the future or sign Vaitai as a younger version of Beachum who would be a slight upgrade.  Getting Conklin and EITHER of the other two now provides maximum flexibility in the Draft to go WR in Round 1 or trade down, or take a Thomas, Wirfs, etc. if they happen to be there at #11.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If the Jets can pull this off, retain Anderson for the rumored 10 million market value and then add another Vet OL, FA would be a home run in my opinion.  Obviously they would likely have other less notable move, but that would be a hell of start 

If we can get Conklin and retain Robby at the right price, I think we should go hard after Fowler, even overpay a bit, if needed. Then use the draft to get 2 more OL, 2 wr's and a cb.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I hope so.  If you're going to spend big $$$ on a FA don't try to force him into a different spot just because you have a need there.

Sign Conklin and check the box at RT.  Then, try to re-sign Beachum with the goal of drafting a LT of the future or sign Vaitai as a younger version of Beachum who would be a slight upgrade.  Getting Conklin and EITHER of the other two now provides maximum flexibility in the Draft to go WR in Round 1 or trade down, or take a Thomas, Wirfs, etc. if they happen to be there at #11.

Love this plan

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'm not trying to sh*t on this player or say he'd be a poor signing. I'm saying there is a considerable risk here for this player. He's a better run-blocker than he is a pass-blocker, which is, at least to some degree, the opposite of what I'm looking for this team, and he does have a torn ACL, a knee injury and has been in the concussion protocol already.

Is any of that damning? No. But he's likely going to command huge money - and we're in a good offensive tackle draft class this year. Maybe this money is better spent elsewhere.  

Given what we've seen in sports the last 20 years one knee injury to a 20something year old doesn't create a considerable risk.

Its an injury on his resume for sure but nothing more as of now.  As said, injuries happen.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think he’s a guy the Jets need to take risks on. They’re desperate. Time to get Darnold the best players in front of him and quick. Conklin’s downside may still be stronger than the second tier options.

He definitely has the highest potential of all the tackles In free agency. 

I just get nervous about his health considering the investment. 

I’m wondering if that risk is better taken on a tackle in the draft. There’s definitely a realistic possibility that in two years, Conklin could be a massively overpaid injury nightmare and someone like Josh Jones from Houston is a good NFL starter.

Granted, we’re desperate for offensive lineman, so I absolutely understand rolling the dice on Conklin. I’m just not quite thrilled about it like everyone else is.

I’d prefer Vaitai, Beachum and the best OT @ #11 with the understanding that Vaitai at right and the rookie @ left are the eventual starters in 2021. 

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Then, try to re-sign Beachum with the goal of drafting a LT of the future or sign Vaitai as a younger version of Beachum who would be a slight upgrade.  Ge

If they give the money to Conklin, I don’t think they can turn around and give Beachum the $9-12 mm it’d take to sign him. They’re either locking themselves into drafting OLT or starting Edoga. No way you can lock up ~$25 mil per in two tackles who aren’t exactly elite.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If they give the money to Conklin, I don’t think they can turn around and give Beachum the $9-12 mm it’d take to sign him. They’re either locking themselves into drafting OLT or starting Edoga. No way you can lock up ~$25 mil per in two tackles who aren’t exactly elite.

If that's the case then I think I'd want to nail down LT with someone like Vaitai and then target RT in Rounds 2-4 of the Draft (Isaiah Wilson?).  And, didn't Edoga play better at RT this past year (even though he wasn't great at either)?  I'd like to see the Jets put Edoga at one spot and leave him there.  Give him an entire Training Camp at RT.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

If the Jets sign Conklin - likely near or at the top of the tackle market - does he stay at RT or move to LT?

He's probably better suited staying at RT, but he has played LT in the past. And that's the spot where teams usually spend their big OL contracts.

I would expect that to depend on what's best for the rookie OT the Jets draft. If it's Wills, Wirfs, or Becton, it may make sense to start them out on the right, Conklin on the left, and then flip-flop them year 2. If it's Thomas or Johnson (who are more natural LTs than Wills or Wirfs and more seasoned than Becton) they'd likely just start Conklin on the right

This may not be popular here but I'd actually be okay passing on Conklin and going into the Draft with LT - Vaitai, LG - Alex Lewis, C - Harrison, RG - Glasgow/Thuney (have to get one of these two IMO), RT - Edoga/Qvale.  The goal in the Draft would be to get a RT and a Center to compete/upgrade those two spots.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I don't buy this for a second. "1 NFL Team" says they hear he's signing there. I'd bet my last dollar that the "1 NFL Team" is Conklin's agent using the Jets to boost his stock.

Jets seem happy with Edoga, I don't foresee this type of move unless the intention is to move him to LT.

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This may not be popular here but I'd actually be okay passing on Conklin and going into the Draft with LT - Vaitai, LG - Alex Lewis, C - Harrison, RG - Glasgow/Thuney (have to get one of these two IMO), RT - Edoga/Qvale.  The goal in the Draft would be to get a RT and a Center to compete/upgrade those two spots.

This is my thought as well, feels like it makes more sense since we already spent a pick on Edoga.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It’s not popular because it’s not a good plan.  Edoga looked bad last year and Qvale is a JAG career depth guy

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Beachum was willing to sign for a year and we only had $25 mil between two tackles for a year, I’d be good with that. 

But that might be a little too optimistic given if I was Beachum I’d want more security/long term deal. 

Beach did get injured again, as was always the knock him, so that could play in our favor in negotiations. 

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

It’s not popular because it’s not a good plan.  Edoga looked bad last year and Qvale is a JAG career depth guy

Then I'd suggest signing a better RT in FA but not throwing a trillion $$$ at Conklin.

Edoga looked better at RT than LT.  The Jets moved him from Right to Left due to injuries and the mess we had on the Line.  I'd stick Edoga at RT from Day 1 of TC and continue to develop him.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Then I'd suggest signing a better RT in FA but not throwing a trillion $$$ at Conklin.

Edoga looked better at RT than LT.  The Jets moved him from Right to Left due to injuries and the mess we had on the Line.  I'd stick Edoga at RT from Day 1 of TC and continue to develop him.

Edoga’s a poor man’s Jeremy Zuttah I wouldn’t have high hopes for him

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

If Beachum was willing to sign for a year and we only had $25 mil between two tackles for a year, I’d be good with that. 

But that might be a little too optimistic given if I was Beachum I’d want more security/long term deal. 

Beach did get injured again, as was always the knock him, so that could play in our favor in negotiations. 

I don’t think the market for Beachum is that hot.  He’s an Ok at best LT and it’s a loaded LT draft

2 yrs $22 mil probably gets it done to bring him back