Joe Douglas first free agency thus far...

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

When your best hope as a fan is to 'field a competitive team' and you usually fail in that, there is an issue.

There is nothing in the least wrong about bitching, nothing.  Loyal fans bitch, unloyal fans walk away.

If you accept garbage and mediocrity that is what you will always get.

The fact the the average fan on this site has 100% proven to be smarter than our own ownership and management is an issue.

The NY Jets have long since spent their 'trust capital' it is up to them to earn it back by good sound moves.

No I'll keep doing what I have down in the past, give the team credit for moves I think are good and bitch about moves I think are bad.

It just so happens this team has a history of making WAY more bad moves than good.  Blame it on the team, not the fans.

But that is illogical. If you keep going to a bad restaurant and keep having crappy food, at some point you have to stop going. Why would you keep going?

• Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

No. We should just be signing the best offensive lineman available and protecting our QB like most teams try to do.

It's only day 2, and guess what? Players are signing. Tomorrow it's only going to be day 3, and the day after that it's only going to be day 4. What's your point?

I've been a big supporter of Joe Douglas and have defended him when plenty of other have called him Adam Gase's coffee boy. 

There is a difference between best and best available. Overpaying for offensive lineman is not a recipe for success. 

If we were going into the season with this roster, I'd be calling for JD's head. The sky isn't falling on day 2. Let's talk more after the draft and when teams are done making cuts to round out their roster. 

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The fact the the average fan on this site has 100% proven to be smarter than our own ownership and management is an issue.

No I'll keep doing what I have down in the past, give the team credit for moves I think are good and bitch about moves I think are bad.

It just so happens this team has a history of making WAY more bad moves than good.  Blame it on the team, not the fans.

What you accept or don't accept has nothing to do with what they will put on the field.  They're trying, whether Macc was right or wrong he was trying.  We get to agree disagree, rant and whine, whatever we want after the fact.  But its all after the fact.  Which is what leads to people actually believing they could be a NFL GM and a damn good one.  Because when all you do is mention every free agents name and then a year later claim you wanted the ones that work out, do the same with drafts, anyone can be a HOF GM

2 minutes ago, ChickenLittle said:

There is a difference between best and best available. Overpaying for offensive lineman is not a recipe for success. 

If we were going into the season with this roster, I'd be calling for JD's head. The sky isn't falling on day 2. Let's talk more after the draft and when teams are done making cuts to round out their roster. 

It's not a recipe for success. But protecting your QB is.

Nobody is saying the sky is falling but we are going into Sam Darnold's 3rd year and we can't point to one quality offensive lineman we have on our roster to protect him. When the Jets start adding quality lineman i'll gladly get off their back about it. 

• Upvote 2

Not sure why so many are freaking out.

We’re only 24 hours into this thing and only two of the guys I wanted are off the market. Conklin and Glasgow.

There are still plenty of potential OL upgrades (Peat, Van Roten, Wisniewski, Bulaga, Peters, Glenn, a potential trade for Trent Williams, etc).

There are still two top edgerushers (Fowler and Clowney) and a host of CB’s who could help us (Harris, Poole, Trufant, Breeland, Amukumara, Jimmy Smith, etc).

Not to mention pretty much every wideout including Robby.

Douglas will be making plenty of moves over the next few days.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Ah my young friend... remember yesterday when you and I talked about Douglas? You were so sure what he would do today, and I tried to rein you in.  You said you didn’t fault my “prove it to me” attitude?

You learned a lesson today PK. Remember it. Don’t get caught up in the hype. Make them prove it to you.

As you get older, you’ll see plenty of these guys come and go, and you’ll be telling a younger fan the things I tell you about guys like Darnold and Douglas.

Bruce Springsteen “The great challenge of adulthood is holding on to your idealism after you lose your innocence.” 

just trying to keep hope alive!

Ozzie Newsome's influence on Douglas can't be ignored, for those
who are complaining:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/03/17/2015-nfl-free-agency-compensatory-picks

The Ravens took a social-media beating from some of their fans last week for, again, sitting out the early days of free agency and letting some significant players—wideout Torrey Smith (San Francisco) and pass-rusher Pernell McPhee (Chicago)—walk away. When Haloti Ngata balked at doing a new contract with a year left on his rich deal, Baltimore dealt him to Detroit for two mid-round picks. Baltimore GM Ozzie Newsome and his staff have gotten used to criticism for letting big names go at this time of year. They don’t seem to mind.

Newsome declined to speak about Baltimore’s free-agent strategy on Monday, or to make anyone else available to discuss it. I think there’s a good chance he stayed mum because it’s a competitive issue to them. The Ravens just do free agency smarter than almost everyone else. They do it by mostly sitting out the early days and allowing bottom-feeding teams to spend the silly money. Occasionally they’ll “splurge” (well, their version of “splurging”) by signing a player like Justin Forsett for reasonable money. Forsett, who walked off the street to gain 1,266 rushing yards for Baltimore last fall, earned a three-year, $9-million deal from the Ravens last week.

But mostly, Baltimore has a history of letting players strike it rich somewhere else and relying on their farm system to replenish what they’ve lost. Maybe this is why Newsome isn’t speaking about the Ravens’ philosophy: It’s a competitive advantage to have teams throwing big money at free-agents, because sooner or later some of that money is going to be spent on Ravens free agents… and that’s going to lead to Baltimore piling up more of what they value highly: compensatory draft picks.

The compensatory-pick system was born in 1994, with the advent of free agency. If a team loses a player for big money, the losing team will—depending on its standing in a byzantine formula—get a mid- to late-round draft choice back the following year to compensate for the loss of the player. The formula for compensatory picks isn’t publicized, but basically it’s this: At the end of each season, the league figures out the free-agency quotient for each team. On one side of the ledger is number of players lost plus total value of contracts signed by those free agents plus playing time by lost free agents in their first year gone. On the other side of the ledger is number of free agents signed plus contract value plus playing time of signed players.

The Ravens had a league-high four compensatory picks—the league’s annual limit—in both the 2013 and the 2014 drafts. They expect to get compensatory picks for the departed Arthur Jones, Corey Graham, Michael Oher and Ed Dickson in this year’s draft. Overall, Baltimore has been awarded more of the extra picks, 41, than any other team in the league. Dallas and Green Bay are next with 33.

“Relying on compensatory picks is a bad strategy,” said Banner, “unless you prove you can draft pretty well in rounds four through seven. Ozzie surely has proven that. But there are some teams out there that struggle to pick well in rounds one and two. Baltimore’s proven the worth of it because when they lose guys, they have players ready to step in—and some of these, obviously, come from compensatory picks.”

The Wizardry of Ozzie

After the Ravens’ Super Bowl win, Greg Bedard examined the secrets to Ozzie Newsome’s team-building strategy, as related by the men who know him best. 

There is strength in numbers. As Jimmy Johnson used to say, having more draft picks is insurance against mistakes—because no matter how good a personnel man you are, you’re going to blow some picks. Having consistent depth of draft choices has helped Baltimore win two Super Bowls this century. Their 82 wins (including playoffs) since 2008 are the second-most in the NFL over the last seven seasons.

In free agency three years ago, the Ravens let defensive tackle Cory Redding—a good contributor, not a star—go to Indianapolis. Redding played for the Ravens for two years. When he left, the league gave Baltimore a fifth-round pick in the 2013 draft. That pick turned out to be the 168th overall choice, and Baltimore selected Wisconsin tackle Rick Wagner. At the end of the 2013 season, Baltimore decided to let starting right tackle Michael Oher leave in free agency; he signed with Tennessee. Wagner stepped in to play right tackle, and the moral of the story is a very instructive one. Wagner is a better right tackle than Oher was—last season, Pro Football Focus rated Wagner the No. 2 right tackle in the league. And with the compensatory pick the Ravens will get for Oher—I’m projecting it to be a fifth-rounder—Baltimore will further replenish their farm system. Now, not all picks work out. Baltimore has its clunkers. But it works enough that Newsome aggressively seeks out the extra picks, and he has built substantially with them.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Yeah, I don't like the Fant signing (it strikes me as a Mike Mac overpay for a JAG OL, a la Spencer Long), but it is not the end of the world. Let's see who else they sign and then who they draft. Maybe JD plans to draft 3 or 4 OL.

If the plan is to have Fant compete with Edoga at RT (with the loser being the backup OT) and draft a new LT at #11, that would be fine. I really really really hope that they are not counting on Fant to start at LT.  

There be madness.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I can't count the amount of times I've read people say we have to build through the draft.  

So Douglas doesn't splurge on the high end free agents in this year and it creates utter distain for what he's doing.

I would absolutely love for something to give me a warm, fuzzy sports buzz right now.  That doesn't mean what Douglas is doing is wrong.  There are quite a few good players left in FA and the draft is still on deck.  The OL can still become markedly better than last years.  The team can still improve overall.  

Would anyone feel more reassured as a Dolphins fan right now?  They have made multiple splash moves.  Yet they completely seem to have abandoned the process they had set in place last year at this time.  That seems more "Same Old Jets" than what Douglas is doing.

This is a great post.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Yeah, I don't like the Fant signing (it strikes me as a Mike Mac overpay for a JAG OL, a la Spencer Long), but it is not the end of the world. Let's see who else they sign and then who they draft. Maybe JD plans to draft 3 or 4 OL.

If the plan is to have Fant compete with Edoga at RT (with the loser being the backup OT) and draft a new LT at #11, that would be fine. I really really really hope that they are not counting on Fant to start at LT.  

There be madness.

JD’s new OL

7B4F079D-F67F-4D11-BB46-2B4CDE9BCDAC.gif

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, KRL said:

Ozzie Newsome's influence on Douglas can't be ignored, for those
who are complaining:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/03/17/2015-nfl-free-agency-compensatory-picks

The Ravens took a social-media beating from some of their fans last week for, again, sitting out the early days of free agency and letting some significant players—wideout Torrey Smith (San Francisco) and pass-rusher Pernell McPhee (Chicago)—walk away. When Haloti Ngata balked at doing a new contract with a year left on his rich deal, Baltimore dealt him to Detroit for two mid-round picks. Baltimore GM Ozzie Newsome and his staff have gotten used to criticism for letting big names go at this time of year. They don’t seem to mind.

Newsome declined to speak about Baltimore’s free-agent strategy on Monday, or to make anyone else available to discuss it. I think there’s a good chance he stayed mum because it’s a competitive issue to them. The Ravens just do free agency smarter than almost everyone else. They do it by mostly sitting out the early days and allowing bottom-feeding teams to spend the silly money. Occasionally they’ll “splurge” (well, their version of “splurging”) by signing a player like Justin Forsett for reasonable money. Forsett, who walked off the street to gain 1,266 rushing yards for Baltimore last fall, earned a three-year, $9-million deal from the Ravens last week.

But mostly, Baltimore has a history of letting players strike it rich somewhere else and relying on their farm system to replenish what they’ve lost. Maybe this is why Newsome isn’t speaking about the Ravens’ philosophy: It’s a competitive advantage to have teams throwing big money at free-agents, because sooner or later some of that money is going to be spent on Ravens free agents… and that’s going to lead to Baltimore piling up more of what they value highly: compensatory draft picks.

The compensatory-pick system was born in 1994, with the advent of free agency. If a team loses a player for big money, the losing team will—depending on its standing in a byzantine formula—get a mid- to late-round draft choice back the following year to compensate for the loss of the player. The formula for compensatory picks isn’t publicized, but basically it’s this: At the end of each season, the league figures out the free-agency quotient for each team. On one side of the ledger is number of players lost plus total value of contracts signed by those free agents plus playing time by lost free agents in their first year gone. On the other side of the ledger is number of free agents signed plus contract value plus playing time of signed players.

The Ravens had a league-high four compensatory picks—the league’s annual limit—in both the 2013 and the 2014 drafts. They expect to get compensatory picks for the departed Arthur Jones, Corey Graham, Michael Oher and Ed Dickson in this year’s draft. Overall, Baltimore has been awarded more of the extra picks, 41, than any other team in the league. Dallas and Green Bay are next with 33.

“Relying on compensatory picks is a bad strategy,” said Banner, “unless you prove you can draft pretty well in rounds four through seven. Ozzie surely has proven that. But there are some teams out there that struggle to pick well in rounds one and two. Baltimore’s proven the worth of it because when they lose guys, they have players ready to step in—and some of these, obviously, come from compensatory picks.”

The Wizardry of Ozzie

After the Ravens’ Super Bowl win, Greg Bedard examined the secrets to Ozzie Newsome’s team-building strategy, as related by the men who know him best. 

There is strength in numbers. As Jimmy Johnson used to say, having more draft picks is insurance against mistakes—because no matter how good a personnel man you are, you’re going to blow some picks. Having consistent depth of draft choices has helped Baltimore win two Super Bowls this century. Their 82 wins (including playoffs) since 2008 are the second-most in the NFL over the last seven seasons.

In free agency three years ago, the Ravens let defensive tackle Cory Redding—a good contributor, not a star—go to Indianapolis. Redding played for the Ravens for two years. When he left, the league gave Baltimore a fifth-round pick in the 2013 draft. That pick turned out to be the 168th overall choice, and Baltimore selected Wisconsin tackle Rick Wagner. At the end of the 2013 season, Baltimore decided to let starting right tackle Michael Oher leave in free agency; he signed with Tennessee. Wagner stepped in to play right tackle, and the moral of the story is a very instructive one. Wagner is a better right tackle than Oher was—last season, Pro Football Focus rated Wagner the No. 2 right tackle in the league. And with the compensatory pick the Ravens will get for Oher—I’m projecting it to be a fifth-rounder—Baltimore will further replenish their farm system. Now, not all picks work out. Baltimore has its clunkers. But it works enough that Newsome aggressively seeks out the extra picks, and he has built substantially with them.

And that is something that Macc never understood

8 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Just think, by the time JD builds this baby through the draft, Sam will be a long time Vet ready to go, going into year 4 of Gases system. 

Yeah, I said it.

Sam will be on his second team, Robby will be on his second team and I will offer to change your screen name for you. 

• Haha 1

I really would not worry too much about the lack of FA action.  In order to fix the line and make it serviceable, they just need two new starters.  One exterior guy (number 11 pick) and one interior guy that can be picked-up later in the draft.  They wont be able to turn it into an elite line, but two starters can stabilize the line.  Harrison, Beachum and Compton are not nearly as bad as people are making them out to be.  In fact, Harrison payed quite well the last few games as the center...

As long as they get one of the top OT's in the draft, things will be OK with the line...

In the WR department, if Robby bails, this draft is very deep for WR.  OT round one, WR round two.

I'm somewhat glad JD is not going for broke on retreads.  The only FA out there I really wanted was Costanzo.  The other OT's out there were not worth the price.

Again... This all depends on the Jets getting that OT in the draft...

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I really would not worry too much about the lack of FA action.  In order to fix the line and make it serviceable, they just need two new starters.  One exterior guy (number 11 pick) and one interior guy that can be picked-up later in the draft.  They wont be able to turn it into an elite line, but two starters can stabilize the line.  Harrison, Beachum and Compton are not nearly as bad as people are making them out to be.  In fact, Harrison payed quite well the last few games as the center...

As long as they get one of the top OT's in the draft, things will be OK with the line...

In the WR department, if Robby bails, this draft is very deep for WR.  OT round one, WR round two.

I'm somewhat glad JD is not going for broke on retreads.  The only FA out there I really wanted was Costanzo.  The other OT's out there were not worth the price.

Again... This all depends on the Jets getting that OT in the draft...

This is so true! I mean, name the Patriots starting Oline. They tagged Thuney because he's a Guard & it's not cap breaking. The Oline, even with a bunch of scrubs played OK down the stretch because they actually finally had some continuity. Swap out a few guys, land Andrew Thomas at #11, maybe a Center with a 3rd & grab another Free Agent & maybe not experience the multitude of injuries & just like that we've upgraded the line. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

OL still crap, still don't have anyone to rush the passer or for Darnold to throw to.

Other than hitting home runs on basically every pick in the draft, hard to see this team not finishing last in the division next year.

We also have a tougher schedule next season

Gase is a disaster.  Woody is a retard

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

When your best hope as a fan is to 'field a competitive team' and you usually fail in that, there is an issue.

There is nothing in the least wrong about bitching, nothing.  Loyal fans bitch, unloyal fans walk away.

The NY Jets have long since spent their 'trust capital' it is up to them to earn it back by good sound moves.

I'm not attributing blame to fans. I'm just calling a spade a spade. The Jets are mismanaged from ownership to coaching. The blame goes up and down.

I don't expect things to get better. If they do I'm pleasantly surprised. I just don't cry the whole way (disclaimer: I'm not saying that is you or what you do ..... it is what some people do.)

The idea that the dichotomy is " loyal fans bitch, disloyal fans leave" is not true. Some of us loyal fans just take our painful disappointing medicine and don't get overly hung up on it. We're still able to discuss the moves, the players etc. without being wholly hyperbolic about it.

I love the Jets, I want them to do well. The Jets don't love me, don't deliver what I deserve as a loyal fan and at this point I don't expect them to. 

Instead of bitching about every move I hope they work out while fully expecting them not to. So I push to discuss the potential of Fant with the fact we are only married to him for 1 year.

I have no control over the outcome. In the interim I don't get too emotionally invested in the outcome, I look at the law of averages and expect to see something around the mean each year. Our mean is terrible with a side of shattered hopes. Grit your teeth and take your medicine or don't.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lurker89 said:

I'm not attributing blame to fans. I'm just calling a spade a spade. The Jets are mismanaged from ownership to coaching. The blame goes up and down.

I don't expect things to get better. If they do I'm pleasantly surprised. I just don't cry the whole way (disclaimer: I'm not saying that is you or what you do ..... it is what some people do.)

The idea that the dichotomy is " loyal fans bitch, disloyal fans leave" is not true. Some of us loyal fans just take our painful disappointing medicine and don't get overly hung up on it. We're still able to discuss the moves, the players etc. without being wholly hyperbolic about it.

I love the Jets, I want them to do well. The Jets don't love me, don't deliver what I deserve as a loyal fan and at this point I don't expect them to. 

Instead of bitching about every move I hope they work out while fully expecting them not to. So I push to discuss the potential of Fant with the fact we are only married to him for 1 year.

I have no control over the outcome. In the interim I don't get too emotionally invested in the outcome, I look at the law of averages and expect to see something around the mean each year. Our mean is terrible with a side of shattered hopes. Grit your teeth and take your medicine or don't.

THANK YOU

I am very pleased with free agency so far. I dont think any of the big name OL FAs were really all that great and all had a lot of risk. Conklin, Glasgow had lots of red flags and it seems like they may not have been the best fit for us anyway. Fant is a fairly low cost developmental player that seems could be a good fit for our system.  I just do not believe in signing the big ticket FAs even with all our holes. It is fool's gold and I am very glad that Douglas is showing control.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

I am very pleased with free agency so far. I dont think any of the big name OL FAs were really all that great and all had a lot of risk. Conklin, Glasgow had lots of red flags and it seems like they may not have been the best fit for us anyway. Fant is a fairly low cost developmental player that seems could be a good fit for our system.  I just do not believe in signing the big ticket FAs even with all our holes. It is fool's gold and I am very glad that Douglas is showing control.

If we resign Lewis and trade for Trent Williams a lot of jets fans will be feeling much better