I really think Jeudy @ 11 makes more sense

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

This team has ONE viable receiver... a slot in Crowder. If we lose Anderson or suffer a single injury, we are the Eagles from last year. 

The idea that a 2nd/3rd round receiver is going to come in and produce right away is far far fetched- it literally never happens.

I like Jeudy because he is a technician, a highly polished route runner. What he does well lends itself to making an immediate impact. Gases offense is highly dependent on complex, long developing routes, something Jeudy excels at..

I am just not sold on the 4th-5th tackle in the draft being a smart move over the #1 WR. 

Worst case scenario I would resign Beachum, roll with him and Fant at LT, and Shell/Fant/Chuma at RT depending on health/performance. 

Use our 2nd/3rd/3rd to build the interior line even more and potentially grab a developmental tackle. 

I understand the thought here and I would't fall to pieces if the Jets went this way. But let's say the top 4 are taken before #11. Josh Jones is pretty much the next guy with Austin Jackson close behind. The way I look at it is where would either of these two fellas get taken in last year's strong defensive draft. I honestly believe Josh Jones would have been considered before Jonah Williams or right after. He would almost certainly be within the top 3 T taken last year imo. 

So it's not as easy as take the #1 WR over the 5th T. This year just happens to be abnormally stacked in that position. 

If we take Jeudy at 11, I would like to see Prince Tega Wonoghu at 48, but he may not even be there. And Peart and Adams are projects with backup being their probable ceiling. It's scary to leave the T position till later in the draft. 

I keep going back to the pre combine presser with Douglass, where he emphasized the desire to get playmakers who can score every time they touch the ball.  This speaks to someone like Ruggs.  I could see them drafting Ruggs in the first, then taking a solid tackle in the 2nd and adding another wr or rb in the 3rd.  If they could pair Anderson with Ruggs, you immediately create mismatches.

• Upvote 1

All depends on the how the draft goes but I'm perfectly comfortable with T or WR at #11 but only those 2 positions otherwise, I might lose my mind.  Typically I have a guy at this point, this is one of those fortunate years where I'd be happy with multiple players/scenarios but every single one of those scenarios includes OL and WR. 

• Upvote 4

This team has ONE viable receiver... a slot in Crowder. If we lose Anderson or suffer a single injury, we are the Eagles from last year. 

The idea that a 2nd/3rd round receiver is going to come in and produce right away is far far fetched- it literally never happens.

I like Jeudy because he is a technician, a highly polished route runner. What he does well lends itself to making an immediate impact. Gases offense is highly dependent on complex, long developing routes, something Jeudy excels at..

I am just not sold on the 4th-5th tackle in the draft being a smart move over the #1 WR. 

Worst case scenario I would resign Beachum, roll with him and Fant at LT, and Shell/Fant/Chuma at RT depending on health/performance. 

Use our 2nd/3rd/3rd to build the interior line even more and potentially grab a developmental tackle. 

See i was thinking this may be the case if we don't sign Robby, but if we do and all 4 Tackes say are off the board, I know many would be aggitated, but they may go Edge with Chaisson, or another highly rated pass rusher especially if they don't address that need in FA, also along with the fact they likely will lose Jordan Jenkins in FA as well.

Fant will be the LT and Conor McGovern will battle for a job at center or guard and Edoga will be RT. I think the Jets should draft Jeudy with pick 11 and get a guard or center in the draft in round two (Biadsz) or three (Hennessey).

None of those guys are what we hope we replace Anderson with... They will develop into really good players, but year one they are dangerous x-factor weapons like Robby. They are not "save my ass go to" #1 WRs. 

You keep saying this...but these guys don’t get drafted in the first round either. The most productive rookie WR’s have generally been drafted outside the first round and nobody has been an elite #1 as a rookie since Beckham in 2014.

No team should be relying on a rookie for that kind of production. And productive WR’s are drafted outside the first round frequently. Don’t think Jeudy and Lamb are as can’t miss as they’ve been pegged either.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Beachum [Re-sign]

Jeudy [Draft]

Wirfs [Trade up and Draft]

SAR I

I don't like Walt Michaels on your Rookie HC Hall of Shame. He built the Jets into a team that nearly went to SB. He inherited a team that had drafted so poorly for years that they literally had to start from scratch.

17 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I don't like Walt Michaels on your Rookie HC Hall of Shame. He built the Jets into a team that nearly went to SB. He inherited a team that had drafted so poorly for years that they literally had to start from scratch.

He did a few good things with the roster, but I hold Walt Michaels responsible for a) going 8-8 in back to back years and missing the playoffs entirely and then b) the atrocious home playoff loss to the Bills and the inability to coach around Shula and a winnable AFC Championship in the mud.

He didn't have that clutch coaching gene.  Always coming close, never getting over the hump.  6 years of frustration, no different than the rest of the shamed.  And that sig isn't meant to pick on a single coach as much as to make the statement that constantly running with rookie head coaches doesn't work.

SAR I

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

None of those guys are what we hope we replace Anderson with... They will develop into really good players, but year one they are dangerous x-factor weapons like Robby. They are not "save my ass go to" #1 WRs. 

hahaha you're in way over your head. Robbie isn't half the reciever Deebo Samuel is. 

I think options are in play.  They could take a tackle at 11, take a wr or trade back.  If they trade back they could take a tackle or wr.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they trade back for an extra 3rd rounder and take either josh jones or a wr that falls to, say, 15.  Here’s to a skewed offensive draft.

If we pass on a WR in the first, there's hope to get one in the later rounds and even next year in which the receiving class is even better. Don't believe me? Take a second and see the prospects projected to go in the 1st:

Tamorrion Terry, Florida State

Justyn Ross, Clemson 

Ja'Marr Chase, LSU

Jaylen Waddle, Alabama 

Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR, USC 

DeVonta Smith, Alabama 

Seth Williams, Auburn

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm with the 1st WR over the 4th OL crowd.

Problem with the above statement is that the consensus draft analysis ratings of the 4 OL might not align with the Jets OL ratings which might not align with the rest of the NFLs.

The Top 4 (or even 5) OL are so good this year that every team might stack them differently, and even if we have 4th choice does not mean we are taking the 4th rated OL to us.

That said based on our OL signings we may be looking at someone like Josh Jones which would allow possibly a trade down. 

I have no issue taking the #1 receiver in the draft either if that is the way the cards fall.

• Upvote 1

For the NFL game in particular, I like the sound of some of the other WRs-bigger than Lamb and Jeudy, more physical.  

Mims, Claypool, Pittman, others.  

There are the guys who will be there in the second round.  We would need to use a second pick for a Ruiz at C, so the fact that we signed one is good.  

We worry about RG, but that is the one position where I think we can draft a starter in the third round.  Like the Gs from Michigan, Georgia, Oregon.  

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

For the NFL game in particular, I like the sound of some of the other WRs-bigger than Lamb and Jeudy, more physical.  

Mims, Claypool, Pittman, others.  

There are the guys who will be there in the second round.  We would need to use a second pick for a Ruiz at C, so the fact that we signed one is good.  

We worry about RG, but that is the one position where I think we can draft a starter in the third round.  Like the Gs from Michigan, Georgia, Oregon.  

Mims will be gone, unfortunately, I think.

give me Ruggs over Lamb and Jeudy. Again, I can't justify it with rankings or mocks.  Just want that speed, with or without Ra on the roster. 

make the other teams worry about the Jets offense for once

the only lineman I could see Douglas and Gase freaking the geek out at 11 would be Becton. 

Thomas is dropping and a mauler. Wills and Wirfs are my preference not theirs.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, bitonti said:

give me Ruggs over Lamb and Jeudy. Again, I can't justify it with rankings or mocks.  Just want that speed, with or without Ra on the roster. 

the only lineman I could see Douglas and Gase freaking the geek out at 11 would be Becton. 

Interesting post. 

I think I would prefer to pair Robby with a better all-around WR (i.e. Jeudy), but this would also be interesting. 

5 hours ago, nico002 said:

I still think you go get that OT like Wirfs, Thomas or Wills. And then go get that Wide out in the 2nd round. There will be excellent talent still there. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Interesting post. 

I think I would prefer to pair Robby with a better all-around WR (i.e. Jeudy), but this would also be interesting. 

another beater floated this idea (Connor maybe?) earlier in the year

Robby gets paid like WR 1 and performs like WR 2 it's not ideal but 

the rookie gets paid like WR 2 and hopefully performs like WR 1 and by the time the rookie ready to be resigned, Robby Anderson is retired, tweeting from the dog track or whatever people in Florida do. 

Ruggs-Robby-Crowder give Sam a friggin chance 

53 minutes ago, bitonti said:

A lot of people see Ruggs as a luxury. He can blow the top off a defensive yes - but is he worth the gamble to do just that @  11? Not sure?? I’m in the camp of people who still think the line is the way to go. If they do go receiver I would want Lamb 1- Jeudy 2. I could possibly be talked into Ruggs if Robby were to come back -and they could compliment one another- which would also be a bit of a gamble given their skill set is very much alike. However- if they could ever figure how how to make it work...... It would be real fun to watch.