JetNation 2020 Mock Draft DISCUSSION

Dcat

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I like that pick. If Hennessey works out he can start at C and McGovern can play OG which he’s better at. 

That's the thought.  I was tempted to go WR again, but I'd rather get a starting caliber C.  If Hennessy develops into a starter very quickly, suddenly our depth on the interior Oline is really good.

2 hours ago, King P said:

Huh? Swift was the 1st back taken lol

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Swift went 26. How early do you think he should of been picked?

Sorry. lol, I made a rookie mistake replying on the first page and thinking i was on page 3.... whoops. 

Shows how removed i am right now... I think the combination of a decade of heartbreak this time of year, with being on a lockdown at home, with the NFL offseason all mucked up -- and me being HR in the health care system (balls to the wall) -- has left me pretty despondent. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

That's the thought.  I was tempted to go WR again, but I'd rather get a starting caliber C.  If Hennessy develops into a starter very quickly, suddenly our depth on the interior Oline is really good.

I don't like it. 

IOL is one of the only areas we've spend money on and gotten better at... skill player wise, you've given us Ruggs. That's our whole offense right now. Ruggs and Bell... with cameos from Crowder and Herndon. That's what Sam is looking at with Buffalo pinning their ears back.

No position is "easy" to learn in the NFL, but some have better results in year 1. Center is one of those... and we just signed one. And 2 Guards. 

I'm not here to say who you should have picked, I'm just saying if i was on my couch while day 2 is winding down - I would be non too pleased. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don't like it. 

IOL is one of the only areas we've spend money on and gotten better at... skill player wise, you've given us Ruggs. That's our whole offense right now. Ruggs and Bell... with cameos from Crowder and Herndon. That's what Sam is looking at with Buffalo pinning their ears back.

No position is "easy" to learn in the NFL, but some have better results in year 1. Center is one of those... and we just signed one. And 2 Guards. 

I'm not here to say who you should have picked, I'm just saying if i was on my couch while day 2 is winding down - I would be non too pleased. 

I agree.  Given the current roster construction, we absolutley have to come away from day 2 with 2 WRs.  Before FA, I was hoping for 2OL and 2WR by end of day 2; but now that we have bolstered the interior of the line, I want to see an OT and two WRs.  Plus an edge or CB.  That would make for a real nice two days IMO.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don't like it. 

Good thing I don’t care what you think. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don't like it. 

I like it because the team still needs youth, depth and more talent. Hennessy could be the starting C for years. 

• Upvote 4

I don’t mind the Hennessy pick. If he can come in and start and we start McGovern at G over Winters or Alex Lewis we’ll have a better OL. The Cleveland pick is nice because he’s gonna be good but he’s raw and we might have to start Edoga/ Fant at tackle. That’s concerning. But we’ll have long term depth which is a benefit. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Rolloffjet said:

Well if we had @IndianaJet draft as the jets draft. he selected Ezra Cleveland in the second love it. Even though he got ruggs (I wanted lamb but was already drafted) he filled some holes with players I like.

maybe you two can treat each other to a nice seafood dinner... or maybe you can just keep butt fumbling every post of mine that questions Lamb as the defacto WR1... 

Ok, i'm being a jerk, and maybe it's being cooped up in this house for 9 days straight, but this is some bush league stuff... I started a thread stating that there are better WRs than Lamb and i got 3 buttfumbles - and wouldn't you know it - not a SINGLE one posted in the thread with any kind of reason why... i guess youtube is enough to win some people over.... 

And now i gotta put up with the guy who... PICKED THE JETS on a jets message board being a vagina about getting some critical feedback. Imagine that Indiana! You picked the team we all have strong feelings about and might not all agree on somethings.. 

Why don't we just all subscribe to some group-think and hug each other. Who needs constructive dialogue. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Given the lack of resource spent on WR -- even after the hypotheticl selection or Ruggs, I don't want to wait another round before adding to the depth chart.  Over the past 6 years, there has been a sginficant drop off in WR production between the 3rd and 4th rounds.  I get the logic behind selecting Hennessy.  Its not a bad pick, but with some of the quality WRs on the board I would rather grab one in R3 than take my chances waitiing until R4.

Since 2014, there have been 25 WRs select5ed in the 3rd round and 29 in the 4th.  The 3rd rounders have an average of 30 receptions and 410 yards per season.  4th rounders have averaged 19 and 217 yards; slightly more than half.

The top 3rd roudners inlcude Gollady, Godwin, Kupp, Brownn & Lockett.  The best 4th rounders include Crowder, Westbrook, Martavis Bryant.  Historically there is a big drop off from round 3 to round 4.  For what its worht, 5th round WRs have outperformed 4th rounders, but that is because of two outliers: Stefon Diggs an Tyreek Hill.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

@Paradis I’m not putting the wr you like down I like a lot of wr in this class and would be happy with like 15 of them on the jets. But lamb I just have a feeling about like he will be the next big star to rise.Hey I like lamb reminds me of a cross between diggs and dhop . His route he runs like diggs unorthodox but it’s ok. His catching and balance On side lines  reminds me of dhop. And his get off line of scrimmage could improve. He also not slow he does have a second gear. So I’ll kinda quote you if lamb available when we pick

Give me lamb or give me death 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Rolloffjet said:

@Paradis I’m not putting the wr you like down I like a lot of wr in this class and would be happy with like 15 of them on the jets. But lamb I just have a feeling about like he will be the next big star to rise.Hey I like lamb reminds me of a cross between diggs and dhop . His route he runs like diggs unorthodox but it’s ok. His catching and balance On side lines  reminds me of dhop. And his get off line of scrimmage could improve. He also not slow he does have a second gear. So I’ll kinda quote you if lamb available when we pick

Give me lamb or give me death 

hah, nice.

Look i know i'm being too prickly on the subject - and I need to remember my audience. I can't be all "are you crazy" on this subject because it bears different fruit for different fans. Lots people just love who they love, despite watching all of 10 mins of that person playing football. It is what it is.  

But I will say Lamb is getting too much love... @Patriot Killa i think said he watched all of his games and came away thinking he was the best?... I personally think thats clinically insane given that he never played against press, and when he did, he struggled. He ran routes that looked like spaghetti noodles, and the majority of his receptions were ANYTHING but timing routes... yea he makes big plays... when Mayfield and Hurts are throwing the ball after 3-4 seconds  - like when is that ever going to happen in the NFL? 

But yea, to each their own. I like (love) Lamb in round 2. The notion of taking Lamb over Justin Jefferson IMO is going to seem like an insane one in a few years. 

Also, Indiana needs new maxipads. 

26 minutes ago, Paradis said:

hah, nice.

Look i know i'm being too prickly on the subject - and I need to remember my audience. I can't be all "are you crazy" on this subject because it bears different fruit for different fans. Lots people just love who they love, despite watching all of 10 mins of that person playing football. It is what it is.  

But I will say Lamb is getting too much love... @Patriot Killa i think said he watched all of his games and came away thinking he was the best?... I personally think thats clinically insane given that he never played against press, and when he did, he struggled. He ran routes that looked like spaghetti noodles, and the majority of his receptions were ANYTHING but timing routes... yea he makes big plays... when Mayfield and Hurts are throwing the ball after 3-4 seconds  - like when is that ever going to happen in the NFL? 

But yea, to each their own. I like (love) Lamb in round 2. The notion of taking Lamb over Justin Jefferson IMO is going to seem like an insane one in a few years. 

Also, Indiana needs new maxipads. 

I love the way he moves, the way he high points the ball, his adjustments to the ball, he tracks it so well, he’s an animal after the catch, he breaks tackles.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I love the way he moves, the way he high points the ball, his adjustments to the ball, he tracks it so well, he’s an animal after the catch, he breaks tackles.

too much of his production happens when plays breakdown or QB improvises. Not nearly enough happened at the NFL level of route and timing. I watched a game where he had a corner playing man up top, alone, no safety and nothing came of it. 4th quarter stuff too... that's not my WR1... 

I love him but i'm worried. 

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

too much of his production happens when plays breakdown or QB improvises. Not nearly enough happened at the NFL level of route and timing. I watched a game where he had a corner playing man up top, alone, no safety and nothing came of it. 4th quarter stuff too... that's not my WR1... 

I love him but i'm worried. 

True but Jefferson is a little questionable on press too. I think they all have a few warts.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

too much of his production happens when plays breakdown or QB improvises.

You could say the exact same thing about Mike Evans, and you know I did. How is that working out?

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

True but Jefferson is a little questionable on press too. I think they all have a few warts.

Jefferson never saw press and played exclusively in the slot. I still like him but there's not enough chatter about that fact. Most people here think he's an outside guy, yet he's never done that.

28 minutes ago, RobR said:

Jefferson never saw press and played exclusively in the slot. I still like him but there's not enough chatter about that fact. Most people here think he's an outside guy, yet he's never done that.

Definitely. I did a JN article on him and that is the first negative I brought up. He didn’t see press much at all and then people question how he will get off of it. We’ve never seen it.

With that said, it’s still a tremendous WR draft and Jefferson/Lamb are still tremendous prospects but I like Lamb’s big play ability and I tend to fall in love with players who track the ball really well and position their bodies to make the catch. It’s instinctual.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Great pick. Yes we have McGovern but he should really move to guard which is his better position.  Hennessey just solidifies the OL.

LT(Thomas?) McGovern Hennesy Lewis Fant

That's a solid OL and can be built on the following year. 

2 hours ago, RobR said:

You could say the exact same thing about Mike Evans, and you know I did. How is that working out?

Fair, but Evans had other areas of compelling competency. 

i hate having to sound like someone who doesn’t like Lamb - cause I’ve been a big fan. Bigger than Jeudy even. But There’s a threshold and you have to honour the huge holes in his tape. 

obviously if we picked him I would get on board, quickly