Coronavirus: Ezekiel Elliott, several Cowboys and Texans players test positive for COVID-19, per report

5 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Other than wishing you to feel better I wasn’t arguing with you at all.  

I quoted someone else (who I disagreed with) who claimed the media sucks and that numbers are going up for other reasons in AZ and asked if that’s the case why did ventilator usage quadruple.  

I have been laying low for close to three months now.  

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post, again, my bad.

I dont know about ventilators, I dont know what quadrupled as a number is.  I do know the threat of COVID-19 is real, its not a creation by the media and if people dont continue to act accordingly, treat this like its gone, there's going to be more misery than there should be and thats sad.  

This is a bear to get through, I've never felt worse.  Kidney failure, two bouts with cancer, this fuker was the worst.  I pray people stay careful and avoid contracting this.  I really do.  And thats not me.  At some point all those who tell you that you dont know how lucky you are to survive this, it sinks in

Be safe my friends

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, freestater said:

May I just be the first to ask...what do you think we could get for Jamal Adams in a trade?

3- 12 packs toilet tissue

4- 16 ounce hand sanitizer

5- 8 piece chicken thighs

3- 2 pack of Clorox wipes

1- 10 foot round 30 inch above ground pool for kiddies

2- 50 count surgical masks 

2- 100 count size xl latex gloves 

Basically a king’s ransom. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

put every player without underlying health conditions in the nfl on an island with zeke for a month and let them all get infected now. Look at the numbers - the risk is very low for their age group and health condition. no worries come September.

This is what we did when I was a kid, when one of us got the chicken pox or the mumps, the whole family was invited over to get it all at once. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, talisaynon said:

C19-6-14.png?width=579&height=573

This is why Germany and Italy is open and we are not. And the reason we won't have football in September.

Thank you Americans. 

I want to protest bringing back football so bad

Aubrey Huff doesn’t live in those other countries

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, varjet said:

To me this is pretty simple:

• Players and anyone who is in contact with players gets tests constantly.  My son's college is opening 8/26, and they will test everyone every other day.  The NFL has more money than Colby College.
  • Add to that temperature testing and symptom monitoring.  
  • Players who are positive get quarantined for 14 days.
  • This is the hard part where it falls apart-the players and anyone in contact with them need to quarantine during the season and wear masks when not playing.  N95 masks.  They cannot be out and about with the general public.  If they want to get paid, they need to really keep this locked down.   The phones are a powerful team, and we will see lots of pictures and videos of misbehaving players.

A player can go to the club and get infected, go on IR and still get paid, and if its isolated that is fine.  But if he gets other players sick and a team breaks down, its on him.  The Jets should move camp to Cortlandt and really try to keep this locked down as much as possible.

I am not optimistic.  

Colby is a great school. Congrats.

2 hours ago, talisaynon said:

This is why Germany and Italy is open and we are not. And the reason we won't have football in September.

Thank you Americans. 

This is the problem. America is done with the inconvenience of Corona, but Corona's not done with America. The only reason that line isn't continuing to go up is because New York City's huge numbers are continuing to drop while some states are setting new highs in cases and deaths this week. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, slats said:

This is the problem. America is done with the inconvenience of Corona, but Corona's not done with America. The only reason that line isn't continuing to go up is because New York City's huge numbers are continuing to drop while some states are setting new highs in cases and deaths this week. 

Bottom line is that social distancing worked in reducing infections and/or deaths.   Opening up everything as it was will, IMO, result in greater numbers getting ill.  Just no way around it.  The virus is still out there.

Brazil is a great example of how things can spiral out of control when COVID-19 is not taken seriously, which is exactly how their leader approached it.  A month a go (May 15), Brazil had nearly 14,000 deaths.  Today, according to Johns Hopkins, the number of dead from COVID-19 is just under 44,000.  In a friggin' month.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/brazil-health-minister-nelson-teich-resigns

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

3 hours ago, talisaynon said:

Thank you Americans. 

This is a prime example of more testing in the U.S. than in other countries, and why you should never believe anything in the NY Times. Do the math. According to these graphs, the death rate in Italy, for example, is almost 15%. The death rate in the U.S. is under 5%. In reality, the death rate is likely the same for all four countries. Applying the U.S. death rate to the other countries in those charts show the number of cases is under reported by as much as a factor of 5. Meaning if you use the U.S. death rate to calculate the likely real number of cases in, for example, Italy, the number of cases would be around 700,000, and the curve would look much different.

So is the U.S. graph flat because we are testing more, or because a lower percentage of people in the U.S. actually die from the virus?

If the European total cases are correct, then personally, I prefer the lower death rate.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

I don't mean to belittle the ordeal you went through but if I'm not mistaken you are over 65 and have a serious preexisting condition. Young healthy people are not at risk.

Not at risk is not entirely accurate. Less risk, yes.

20 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I just hope he didn't inadvertently infect others in his family and community, especially the elderly or those with underlying health issues.

You would think Nico would be more sensitive to this considering he gave Darnold mono.  

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I did the math yesterday. People under 45 in this country literally have a better chance of dying by lightning strike then by covid. 

again, it's not about young healthy people getting sick with Covid-19.

It's about limiting the outbreak of the disease so that at risk people have a chance to live a longer life.

I get it, you're young and bored and want your life to resume back to normal.  But come on, have some empathy towards your fellow man who is not as well off as you.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, peebag said:

again, it's not about young healthy people getting sick with Covid-19.

It's about limiting the outbreak of the disease so that at risk people have a chance to live a longer life.

I get it, you're young and bored and want your life to resume back to normal.  But come on, have some empathy towards your fellow man who is not as well off as you.

People who are at risk can shelter themselves. The whole world doesn't need to be shut down for them. A bunch of young people who have had the disease and have the antibodies helps prevent the spread. They can also donate plasma which has been used to help treat people with more serious cases.

Deaths in this country are way down - to March levels. 

19 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I was NOT expecting that from Richard Sherman. I agree with him. I think any players/coaches with medical concerns should be allowed to not play/coach while the rest of the league should play and do their best to contain any outbreaks with massive amounts of testing. 

Whenever Richard Sherman speaks, I listen.  Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with him on any of his points, he's consistently the most thoughtful player in the game and always has something interesting to say.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, talisaynon said:

Thank you Americans. 

Curve is flattened and in a decline. Expecting to eradicate the virus with a population of 350 million and 50 independently governed states is irrational.

as long as cases don’t explode exponentially there will be football.

our death curve looks a lot more like Italy and Germany than the case curve, access to testing makes case numbers iffy

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

People who are at risk can shelter themselves. The whole world doesn't need to be shut down for them.

That's patently false.  This does not work.  

Especially since at least 30 % of the US population falls in the "at risk" group.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre right and I agree

I did say in the Cowboys thread that 20 somethings, in extremely good shape are different animals and most are free of respiratory issues.  I'm a different animal.

Theyre told, those that arent millionaire like these guys to just go home and deal with the fever.  No drugs, no treatment, no hospital stay....

Guess I missed that post. In any event I'm very happy you made it through and hopefully we both get to experience another Jets SuperBowl victory before us boomers fade away.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

link?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/03/heres-why-it-wont-work-just-isolate-elderly-vulnerable/

https://fortune.com/2020/03/24/coronavirus-curve-herd-immunity-deaths/

Essentially our healthcare system isn't equipped to handle that.  Elderly patients would still need to go to hospitals, meaning isolation wouldn't be possible.  Healthcare workers and other patients would still get exposed.  

11 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Curve is flattened and in a decline. Expecting to eradicate the virus with a population of 350 million and 50 independently governed states is irrational.

as long as cases don’t explode exponentially there will be football.

our death curve looks a lot more like Italy and Germany than the case curve, access to testing makes case numbers iffy

I think that's a fair observation. France is roughly the size of Texas. To expect the USA  to have the same curve as significantly smaller countries is unfair. New York and New Jersey are having curves like France. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/03/heres-why-it-wont-work-just-isolate-elderly-vulnerable/

Essentially our healthcare system isn't equipped to handle that.  Elderly patients would still need to go to hospitals, meaning isolation wouldn't be possible.  Healthcare workers and other patients would still get exposed.  

Those are articles are fairly old. We know more now. Letting the non at risk population continue to move forward while the more at risk folks still take the necessary precautions is really the only option at this point. Hospitals have not been overrun and people need to work. Going back into an indefinite lockdown makes no sense.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You just posted two opinion pieces as evidence of something being "patently false".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

The numbers can be skewed due to increased testing. The downside of keeping people locked up and crashing the economy has to be weighed when looking at the big picture of when to open things back up.

This virus stinks and has and will continue to negatively affect the world. But we will get through this like we have with other pandemics. I lost a relative to the 1918 Spanish flu which infected 500 million people – about a third of the world's population at the time and the mortality was estimated between 17 and 50+ million people.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You just posted two opinion pieces as evidence of something being "patently false".

There's evidence on my side of the argument.  There's virtually none on your side of the argument, that its possible to merely isolate at-risk populations and be good to go.  That's not how human beings work, and we still don't know exactly how long people need to be isolated even AFTER they've been infected:

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/04/08/covid-recovery

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/1/21201045/coronavirus-covid-19-recovery-isolation-contagious-cdc-data

https://www.aafp.org/journals/fpm/blogs/inpractice/entry/covid19_work_notes.html

Some say 7 days, some say 10.  Either way, it's nearly impossible to just tell the infected/at risk crowd to stay at home entirely.  How are you going to tell 30 % of the population to self-isolate for an indefinite period?

47 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

You're at risk of dying when crossing the street.

Everything is relative . . .

Yet everyone can agree you mitigate that risk by looking both ways and crossing only when the "walk" sign is lit.  

No one is saying we need to shut everything down again.  We're only saying that re-opening can't just be a free-for-all, where people seek to go back to the "way things were before".   

Everyone has a responsibility.  And those comparing risks and saying "everyone dies" are merely exposing a lack  of compassion.  Elderly people are people too.  Just like the employed, unemployed and business owners are people too.