What if Kirk Cousins signed with the Jets?

Interesting alternate history scenario

Kirk Cousins + Quentin Nelson + 3 second round picks vs Sam Darnold and cap space?

Three years later QB salaries have gotten to the 30-35MM for an average QB which makes Kirk Cousins deal acceptable. It also greatly increases the value of a young QB on a rookie deal.

Unfortunately the Jets could not leverage the cap space in building a competitive team during Darnolds the first two years (he will also be undermanned year 3) so it hasn’t worked out at all for the Jets.

On the other side of things Kirk Cousins hasn’t been able to get a loaded Vikings roster to a division title or past the first round in the playoffs. Even with the four draft picks it’s doubtful the Jets roster would be as good as Minnesota (Keep in mind McCagnan would have made those picks) so how many wins could Kirk Cousins really get the Jets?

Short term the Cousins option looks better, but it still probably would have been a bad decision to hand him that contract. If Darnold doesn’t develop into a top 10 QB the move to trade up for him will also look like a huge mistake. 

Too bad the Jets didn’t just draft Watson or Mahomes instead of Jamal in 2017 and then just built around one of them with cap space and draft capital. 

• Upvote 2

Cousins takes way too much  heat imo.  He is a good and productive QB.  I am not a huge fan of his personality but a lot of QBs are dicks.

The jets just might be better off with the scenario stated above and I am a bog darnold fan.

the issue is that McCaganan never would have drafted nelson and would have blown all the 2nd round picks.

• Upvote 2

He’d be a solid quarterback for us and we’d be in a comfortable, 10-6 and a wild card at best position. 

To be honest, I’d take it after the last decade... but it will all be a moot point when Darnold is leading us to a division title this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

His fragile psyche wouldn't have been able to handle last season's adversity in such a massive market.  He'd be a shattered and broken man, Neil O'Donnell, basically.

SAR I

Much of last years adversity was caused by our immature QB contracting Mono, so......

25 minutes ago, SAR I said:

His fragile psyche wouldn't have been able to handle last season's adversity in such a massive market.  He'd be a shattered and broken man, Neil O'Donnell, basically.

SAR I

Plus he sucks, and can’t hold Sam’s jock.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We'd be in QB purgatory.  He's Chad Pennington, minus the weak arm but taking up a higher % of the cap than Pennington did.

This. Would our winning percentage be better in 2018-19 with Cousins? Probably. But Maccagnan and Bowles would likely still be here and we'd be stuck in irrelevant neutral for awhile.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Cousins take way too much  heat imo.  He is a good and productive QB.  I am not a huge fan of his personality t but a lot of QBs are dicks.

The jets just might be better off with the scenario stated above and I am a bog darnold fan.

the issue is that McCaganan never would have drafted nelson and would have blown all the 2nd round picks.

We didnt' have to draft Nelson.  If we didn't have to trade up, we also could have traded down.  The Bills and Cards both traded up for picks later than our #6.

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Nah this isn’t about how good Sam is, it’s how terrible Cousins is.

You think Cousins is terrible and can't hold Sam's jock. I can no longer take your opinion on QB play with even a grain of salt. Have a good day broseph.

It's times like these I wish there was a way to put notes on a user. That way I'd know how to proceed in the future.

27 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You think Cousins is terrible and can't hold Sam's jock. I can no longer take your opinion on QB play with even a grain of salt. Have a good day broseph.

It's times like these I wish there was a way to put notes on a user. That way I'd know how to proceed in the future.

Lol I’m the guy who said Mahomes will be the GOAT 4 years ago.  I’ll take my QB play opinions over anyone’s.

26 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Cousins threw for 4300 yards 30/10 TD/INT ration with a 99.6 QBR. Jets fans are funny man. Let’s hope Sam ever comes close to a season like that.  

Swap Sam and Kirk do the Jets go 7-9?  IMO NO!  More like 5-11.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1