What if Kirk Cousins signed with the Jets?

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There would be a brigade of Jets fans bitching about how much damage Patrick Mahommes just did to our salary cap long term?

Ask Chiefs fans if they care about the cap space spent coming off a SB win.  Even if they hadn't won a SB with Mahomes they'd be celebrating this.

Also that deal was very pro-Chiefs when you look at it closely.  It's basically a series of a 1 or 2-year deals that KC can escape from at any time.  The only thing they can't do is trade him for assets.

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ask Chiefs fans if they care about the cap space spent coming off a SB win.  Even if they hadn't won a SB with Mahomes they'd be celebrating this.

Also that deal was very pro-Chiefs when you look at it closely.  It's basically a series of a 1 or 2-year deals that KC can escape from at any time.  The only thing they can't do is trade him for assets.

Jets fans are special.

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Jets fans are special.

We're not unique to other fans.  We are fine with paying worthy players at premium positions.  We were fine when Revis was signed to his extension in 2010.

We just haven't had a player worth paying since that time.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We're not unique to other fans.  We are fine with paying worthy players at premium positions.  We were fine when Revis was signed to his extension in 2010.

We just haven't had a player worth paying since that time.

You underestimate how much this fan base hates themselves. Some wannabe jr internet capologist would be on here bitching about the cap hit and there'd be a bunch of dick riders in line spouting the same nonsense. I guarantee it.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You underestimate how much this fan base hates themselves. Some wannabe jr internet capologist would be on here bitching about the cap hit and there'd be a bunch of dick riders in line spouting the same nonsense. I guarantee it.

We're only miserable because of years of losing.  Jamal Adams demanding to be handed $17-20M a year when the team has gone 16-32 is bad optics. 

Things would look a lot different around here with elite QB play.  If Darnold plays like a beast next year and goes, say, 11-5, there will be no shortage of Jets fans happy to bust the salary cap to pay him.

Maybe there'd still be a couple fans upset with the cap hit.  But those would be few and far between.  If the team is winning, the salary cap doesn't mean as much to fans.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Swap Sam and Kirk do the Jets go 7-9?  IMO NO!  More like 5-11.

You liked Mahomes, your opinion must be infallible!  Maybe you should check Cousins won-loss record with Washington.  He was doing 7-9 and better there.  Only a Jets fan thinks they can look at the Redskins and think boy the grass is greener!

I am happy enough with Darnold, but pointing to Darnold as proof that a Cousins contract would have been a mistake is idiotic.

I think Sam is better than Deshaun. He hasn't had the supporting cast of Watson, but when I watched them both when they played it was pretty evident to me Sam was the more talented QB. I think his ceiling is higher and his throwing skills are better. I like Watson too, but glad we have Sam. I was holding my breath when they were trying to sign Cousins - never would have entertained that thought before a QB heavy draft.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

You liked Mahomes, your opinion must be infallible!  Maybe you should check Cousins won-loss record with Washington.  He was doing 7-9 and better there.  Only a Jets fan thinks they can look at the Redskins and think boy the grass is greener!

I am happy enough with Darnold, but pointing to Darnold as proof that a Cousins contract would have been a mistake is idiotic.

No pointing to Cousins ZERO SB’s in that 3 year span is proof why it was, and always be a mistake for any team to sign him.  Minnesota was arguably the best roster in football besides QB that’s why he choose them over the Jets.  Jets lucked out not having to pay him 90 million for the same results as they got without him, if he couldn’t win a SB with the Vikings roster he might not have won more then 2 games with the Jets roster.  Cousins does not elevate the play of his team, he needs his team to elevate his play, no thanks.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I think Sam is better than Deshaun. He hasn't had the supporting cast of Watson, but when I watched them both when they played it was pretty evident to me Sam was the more talented QB. I think his ceiling is higher and his throwing skills are better. I like Watson too, but glad we have Sam. I was holding my breath when they were trying to sign Cousins - never would have entertained that thought before a QB heavy draft.

If you watch that game they played against each other in 2018 Darnold looked like the better QB. 

However the overall body of work suggests Watson and even Cousins are much better. 

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Cousins threw for 4300 yards 30/10 TD/INT ration with a 99.6 QBR. Jets fans are funny man. Let’s hope Sam ever comes close to a season like that.  

I agree, but Cousins always puts up numbers and it doesn’t seem to translate to team success.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

No pointing to Cousins ZERO SB’s in that 3 year span is proof why it was, and always be a mistake for any team to sign him.  Minnesota was arguably the best roster in football besides QB that’s why he choose them over the Jets.  Jets lucked out not having to pay him 90 million for the same results as they got without him, if he couldn’t win a SB with the Vikings roster he might not have won more then 2 games with the Jets roster.  Cousins does not elevate the play of his team, he needs his team to elevate his play, no thanks.

Makes sense.  Jets were smart not to draft Marino.  They had the same results with O'Brien.  Hell, Todd Blackledge was basically the same guy.

Edited by #27TheDominator

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Makes sense.  Jets were smart not to draft Marino.  They had the same results with O'Brien.  Hell, Todd Blackledge was basically the same guy.

hyperbole i know ... couldn't scroll by & not react  to the Blackledge reference though ... lol

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Cousins threw for 4300 yards 30/10 TD/INT ration with a 99.6 QBR. Jets fans are funny man. Let’s hope Sam ever comes close to a season like that.  

How long has Cousins been a starter in this league? Sam hasn’t even played 2 full seasons. 

4 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Interesting alternate history scenario

Kirk Cousins + Quentin Nelson + 3 second round picks vs Sam Darnold and cap space?

Three years later QB salaries have gotten to the 30-35MM for an average QB which makes Kirk Cousins deal acceptable. It also greatly increases the value of a young QB on a rookie deal.

Unfortunately the Jets could not leverage the cap space in building a competitive team during Darnolds the first two years (he will also be undermanned year 3) so it hasn’t worked out at all for the Jets.

On the other side of things Kirk Cousins hasn’t been able to get a loaded Vikings roster to a division title or past the first round in the playoffs. Even with the four draft picks it’s doubtful the Jets roster would be as good as Minnesota (Keep in mind McCagnan would have made those picks) so how many wins could Kirk Cousins really get the Jets?

Short term the Cousins option looks better, but it still probably would have been a bad decision to hand him that contract. If Darnold doesn’t develop into a top 10 QB the move to trade up for him will also look like a huge mistake. 

Too bad the Jets didn’t just draft Watson or Mahomes instead of Jamal in 2017 and then just built around one of them with cap space and draft capital. 

We would be an absolute train wreck right now. We'd be hamstrung by the kings ransom that Neil O'Donnell is getting paid. Remember, Mac the idiot, offered this slightly below average QB 100 million completely guaranteed. We would not have been able to get CJ Moseley. We would still be winning about 3 to 4 games per season. It would be another very downtrodden and depressing time to be a Jet fan. All I can say, THANK GOD fate intervened. Mac would have been very LOUDLY known as the very worst GM in the history of the game, right up there and mentioned in the same breath as Rich Kotite.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

They wouldn't because Mac sucks and does not know how to draft.

Signing Cousins would have been 'kicking the can down the road' in terms of the Jets addressing their long-term need for a franchise QB. An expensive can. 

I actually like Cousins. I think he would put up decent numbers here. We would have won more games but not enough to win a division. We would be a 8-8 9-7 kind of team. Then he would look to move on again. And we would be back to square one, giving up more picks to move up to draft another rookie QB. So it becomes....

Cousins for three years + Nelson + 3 x second rounders 2018/19

or 

Darnold + future picks not required to move up to draft Cousins replacement + salary cap. 

Long term, drafting Darnold was the right choice. Whether we can capitalize on that is another matter. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, K_O_Brien said:

Signing Cousins would have been 'kicking the can down the road' in terms of the Jets addressing their long-term need for a franchise QB. An expensive can. 

Expensive can like J-Lo's?

Jennifer Lopez has a $27 million insurance policy on her butt.

I had the same thoughts as KOB above.  The Jets would have been better the last two years than they would have with Darnold, mono and Mac blowing the cap money.  This year could be a wash.  But next year the Jets would have been screwed with Cousins, but my hope is that next year with Darnold the Jets push into the playoffs. 

8 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Interesting alternate history scenario

Kirk Cousins + Quentin Nelson + 3 second round picks vs Sam Darnold and cap space?

Three years later QB salaries have gotten to the 30-35MM for an average QB which makes Kirk Cousins deal acceptable. It also greatly increases the value of a young QB on a rookie deal.

Unfortunately the Jets could not leverage the cap space in building a competitive team during Darnolds the first two years (he will also be undermanned year 3) so it hasn’t worked out at all for the Jets.

On the other side of things Kirk Cousins hasn’t been able to get a loaded Vikings roster to a division title or past the first round in the playoffs. Even with the four draft picks it’s doubtful the Jets roster would be as good as Minnesota (Keep in mind McCagnan would have made those picks) so how many wins could Kirk Cousins really get the Jets?

Short term the Cousins option looks better, but it still probably would have been a bad decision to hand him that contract. If Darnold doesn’t develop into a top 10 QB the move to trade up for him will also look like a huge mistake. 

Too bad the Jets didn’t just draft Watson or Mahomes instead of Jamal in 2017 and then just built around one of them with cap space and draft capital. 

What if my aunt had balls ? She'd be my uncle .

On 7/8/2020 at 1:30 PM, BROOKLYN JET said:

What if we didn't draft Jamal Adams?

What if we could read a thread through to the bottom without reading his name in a thread it doesn't even belong it?

That would be sweet.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, SAR I said:

His fragile psyche wouldn't have been able to handle last season's adversity in such a massive market.  He'd be a shattered and broken man, Neil O'Donnell, basically.

SAR I

TBH, I'd rather have a one legged Alex Smith than have tied our future to Kirk Chokesins. 

• Haha 1

Whole idea is irrelevant. First we actually offered more money and he turned us down. Maybe the greatest rejection in the history of the Jets. Second. Macloser is on record as being against OL high so he would not have picked Nelson. Probably all the picks would have turned out to be defense with at least 1 DT

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Can you name one player the Jets should pay or should have paid in the last decade that fans were wrong to not want?

• Upvote 1