NY Jets Break Out Candidate — Offense

GreenBean

GreenBean is in a salt mine in Kansas this week. He is on his way to Denver and he is talking about the NY Jets offense. Who is the offensive break out candidate be?

Training camp is here so let’s discuss the offense. Sam Darnold, Le’Veon Bell, Chris Herndon, Trevon Wesco, Breshard Perriman and Denzel Mims are all highlighted in this video.

Check it out and let us know what you think about the NY Jets roster this season.

The post NY Jets Break Out Candidate — Offense appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
vlAr7aZbEP8

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I have a few points to make and I will start with Darnold. Obviously he's the choice, but would you really consider that a "Breakout"?

He's had a bumpy road his first 2 seasons, but the ups and downs were due to coaching changes, illness, and injuries. I'm very confident that with some consistency he'll do exactly what he supposed to do. I expect nothing less.

Watching an interview with one Teddy Atlas the other day,  he was talking about some of the boxers he has worked with. I'm paraphrasing here, but what he said was that some guys are spectacular and what you really want is solid. It's hard to consistently be spectacular but you can consistently be solid.

Now I think Sam will spread the ball around and we will all see Perriman, Mims, and Bell making some great impact plays, I'm also starting to get a little nervous that this is going to be a funky season if we even have one.

So here is my pick...

Lamical Perine-

This dude is just going to put his head down and work. When all is said and done at the end of the season, he will have unseated both Bell and Gore as our starting running back.

I have watched the rookie and free agent highlights and everybody needs work and coaching. Perine just needs the ball. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

So here is my pick...

Lamical Perine-

It's funny because that was the one pick by JD that I didn't love.  Not that I know sh*t about college football, but it sounded to me like he's a short yardage type RB.  Maybe I'm wrong about that?

16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's funny because that was the one pick by JD that I didn't love.  Not that I know sh*t about college football, but it sounded to me like he's a short yardage type RB.  Maybe I'm wrong about that?

Perine was Douglas' first pick that wasn't an athletic freak (he grabbed another later in the round in Zuniga), but he's an all-around RB. He can run, catch, and block. I think he's gonna be a great cornerstone in the Jets RB by committee that Gase prefers. I hope he's involved early, but I'd expect him to be in the rotation pretty heavily by the end of the year. He might be the top RB on the roster heading into next year's offseason. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Perine was Douglas' first pick that wasn't an athletic freak (he grabbed another later in the round in Zuniga), but he's an all-around RB. He can run, catch, and block. I think he's gonna be a great cornerstone in the Jets RB by committee that Gase prefers. I hope he's involved early, but I'd expect him to be in the rotation pretty heavily by the end of the year. He might be the top RB on the roster heading into next year's offseason. 

I'll look forward to him dragging Adams into the endzone (again) when we visit Seattle.  A little deja vu would be so satisfying.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Well I will tell you straight up that I don't know absolute s*** about college football LOL! It's just a gut feel dude that I have. He reminds me of Wayne Chrebet. Just a reliable solid consistent guy who always gets it done. go check the highlights.

When it's draft time I read the mags, I read the news or look up the highlights. I do a little Wiki research, I'm no college football Guru.

If I was a GM I would have picked this guy too. Just like Bilal Powell was never a superstar, we're all like what do you mean he's not on the team anymore? Unfortunately except for injuries every time Powell touch the ball something positive happened.

Again it's just my gut feeling but after watching his highlights multiple times I think you can count on this guy to keep moving forward with the ball in his hands. Nothing special or spectacular but he just keeps moving forward.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, slats said:

Exactly! Good post. Not every guy can be a superstar some guys just have to be football players. He's 5-11 218 pounds. Like you said he can catch, run, block I think he just has "it".

The guy I am hoping for the most is Mims.  If he turns out to be a #1 WR - and he has the talent and tools - it would do so much to fire this team up.  It would let Perriman and Crowder thrive in their roles and do so much for Sam's development.  I am super excited to see Becton play, but the guy who I think could do the most to turn this team around with a break-out season is Mims.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I would say the most important breakout candidate is Gase. We need him to lead this team more than Sam. He is the one pulling all the levers. Sam is going to go as Gase goes. Sam is not Rogers who is going to follow his own instincts  over the coaches. We need Gase to step up. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

As always great stuff. I agree with almost all that you said.

Wesco I think will be a key player. I think Becton will start at RT and Wesco will be used on the strong side to help Becton and also to set an outside running edge or chip and run outside seam routes.

Not sure on Bell, the OL probably has to be a little stronger than average to get those numbers. It has the possibility but difficult to build it up with so little practice.

I am not sure he will have big numbers but I see Barrios contributing more this year,

I think like most teams we will run a lot of 11 personnel but we can also be challenging for teams in 12 personnel of the flipside in 10. I would like to see more no huddle trap the defense type offense especially if we can trap them in base against 10 or 12 against nickel

Smith will surprise as well I think.

Who is your breakout rookie?

It's realistically Darnold, but Herndon will probably work in tandem with that. 

I think I realized that if anyone of these guys breaks out for a great season, it'll probably be due to Darnold doing the same thing. That's why he's the primary choice. QB impact and all that shenanigans.

• Upvote 1

With an improved line and added weapons, Darnold is the clear cut breakout candidate.  He's shown flashes of elite play with a high school team around him the last two years.  If the draft picks, FA's, and players returning from injury  play up to their press clippings, Darnold can be leading a pretty decent offense to the end zone all season.

• Upvote 1

As always great stuff. I agree with almost all that you said.

Wesco I think will be a key player. I think Becton will start at RT and Wesco will be used on the strong side to help Becton and also to set an outside running edge or chip and run outside seam routes.

Not sure on Bell, the OL probably has to be a little stronger than average to get those numbers. It has the possibility but difficult to build it up with so little practice.

I am not sure he will have big numbers but I see Barrios contributing more this year,

I think like most teams we will run a lot of 11 personnel but we can also be challenging for teams in 12 personnel of the flipside in 10. I would like to see more no huddle trap the defense type offense especially if we can trap them in base against 10 or 12 against nickel

Smith will surprise as well I think.

Who is your breakout rookie?

My breakout Rookie will be In a seperate rookie vid, but I can say now that I think Mims is the guy who will be better than most people think. I loved him coming out and never ever thought we'd get a shot at him even at 48. Making it to 59 was a stroke of luck rarely captured by the NY Jets. 

I''ll go into why I think that happened in the next vid.  

3 hours ago, slats said:

Glad to hear the optimism about this guy!

I might be the only one on this but I think it could be Bless. We saw flashes from him last year and he was a rookie coming in mid season without much secondary talent around him. Now there's way more depth (despite losing Adams), I think the pass rush will improve, which will help, the offense won't be punting constantly (we hope), and he will have some experience under his belt. I also think he will have a chip on his shoulder for being benched at the end of last season. I think the way this roster is set up, it gives Bless the perfect opportunity to lock down an outside starting spot and he has the talent to have a breakout season.  

Joe Douglas has done a good job getting rid of the bad apples. We used to have a long list of most likely people to break out of police custody on a yearly basis. Now its the Giants

As for offense I been on Mims who I thought was a first rounder before the draft, but I'm thinking Herndon considering what Darnold did with Ryan Griffen last year

19 hours ago, Dcat said:

there is only one Jets break out candidate on offense that matters: Sam Darnold.

p.s. Becton would help

You beat everyone to it, Sam in a landslide otherwise the whole offense suffers and no one emerges.

8 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I would say the most important breakout candidate is Gase. We need him to lead this team more than Sam. He is the one pulling all the levers. Sam is going to go as Gase goes. Sam is not Rogers who is going to follow his own instincts  over the coaches. We need Gase to step up. 

Nice answer, different angle, well done!!

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I might be the only one on this but I think it could be Bless.

Given this thread was titled break out offensive player, yeah you more than likely will be the only one who thinks it could be Bless

LOL ?

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, nycdan said:

The guy I am hoping for the most is Mims.  If he turns out to be a #1 WR - and he has the talent and tools - it would do so much to fire this team up.  It would let Perriman and Crowder thrive in their roles and do so much for Sam's development.  I am super excited to see Becton play, but the guy who I think could do the most to turn this team around with a break-out season is Mims.

for me the timing tween Sam and Zelly/Breshad is superimportant...   if they can develop the kinda rapport that we saw in 2015

Fitz/Mims/Perriman    the WRs being a slightly smaller version (6'3" and 6'2") of Marhsall and Decker ( 6'5" and 6'3")

either one of these WRs can win well timed back shoulder throws deep on the perimeter for 15+ yd chunks, fast enough to work deep ovefr the middle stuff to clear out the underneath for Crowda/The TE group/Bell....

• Sympathy 1