Saquon Barkley, Sterling Shepard: Giants game boycott not ruled out

47 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I think what happened to Blake was wrong but what is the point of this?  This accomplishes nothing

These players are all scared to be cancelled by social media so they just all go along. If the Bucks don't cancel their game, none of this happens. MLB/NHL would have missed zero games but since the NBA did something these other teams/players felt compelled to do something or they look weak on twitter. 

I don't think anyone, in their right mind, think any of this is helping the cause. No laws are being changed. No NBA/NHL/MLB policies are being changed. Next Monday will be the same as this past Monday. 

• Upvote 3

I really don't care. Go ahead. I thought The NBA should have nutted up and actually sat out the entire playoffs if they wanted to make a point. They got told how much more it would kill salary next year and folded. If you believe in this then do it, don't do some fake sh*t where Giants sit out on a Sunday game while working out with the NFL to play Monday.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Policing policies have been debated for as long as I've been alive. The crux of the matter stem from other things, which are also taboo topics that shut down dialogue. One being school choice. We'll stop here though.

When my father was born and he's still alive women didn't have the right to vote.  Change, even incremental change that's on the margin impacts people sometimes takes a very long time.  Your lifetime is irrelevant in the course of human history.  Dialogue leads to action and coalition building.  Coalition building leads to voting blocks.  Voting blocks lead to change.  It's a long slow process.  Not that much different from building a perennial losing football team that somehow turns into a dynasty overnight.  It didn't really happen overnight, it just looks that way in the moment. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

Most of you guys will be back the minute they play again. I dont understand why people get so upset about these things. They have the right not to play for whatever reason they deem and you have the right not to watch anymore if you decide. Getting all worked up and issuing loud but ultimately hollow threats seems silly but also wrong. It's an attempt to coerce or control. Just quietly tune out or respect thier right to make a statement imo.

Plenty of other things to do for entertainment. Speaking of which anyone have an ETA on strip clubs reopening?

It's more than a statement. If it were a reasoned, thought out argument based on statistics, logic, etc. I would understand. This is a punishment. This is "if we're unhappy, then everyone is unhappy" And their unhappiness is based on something I do not respect.

• Upvote 3

Anger towards police has existed in inner cities for as long as I can remember (at least the 90’s). See Rodney King.

People have been protesting since the early 2010’s and rioting occasionally since Ferguson. These protests and riots today are different because they’re continuous. The boycotts and strikes are getting more visible and wide spread.

For those that think this stuff doesn’t work, here’s what has happened, as far as I know, since the start of the movement: Camden NJ defunded their policy in 2013 (check out the drop in crime since 2013), Obama passed the equal sentencing act (this was done in 2010 though), Obama limited private prison use (However, Trump removed this limitation), Obama commuted many drug offenders that received lengthy sentences. Trump passed the first step act in 2018. Austin, Seattle, NYC, Minnesota and 9 other cities are working towards revamping their police budget in similar ways to what Camden did 7 years earlier.

The end goal is to end the war on drugs and hold police accountable when they brake the law.

What policies are being discussed:

- MORE Act sponsored by Kamala Harris - effectively ends the war on drugs at the federal level. This bill has passed committee

- Amash and Pressley have introduced a bipartisan bill to end qualified immunity.

- Tim Scott is proposing the Investing in Opportunity Act and has bipartisan support

I don’t like the rioting and the boycotts. However, major change in the US has never come peacefully.

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I would be interested to understand the logic behind this one.  They’re professional athletes, paid to play a sport.  So by not playing that sport who or what exactly are they boycotting? 

I get the kneeling, it’s making a statement against the country’s national anthem - “America Is Bad!“- Like what they’re doing or not - it’s a clear point being made.

This just seems strange and illogical to me..You’re just punishing the people paying your salary - it’s like the proverbial - I’m picking up my ball and going home.

It's to take the focus away from the anthem, and the obvious question of whether or not it should be played at the stadium (it shouldn't). 

If their salaries are guaranteed by those same people, and they stand to lose nothing - then you can safely assume that they're being paid to make a political statement with their boycott. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

They are not "field hens" first mistake fans keep making. They don't owe you nothing.

Second they are bothered by what's going on in the USA and unlike so many. They want to try to make a change or figure out what they should do...its really not hard to understand just seems like a small group chooses not to listen.

If they want to make a change, they should start programs that teach people to listen to police.  It aint a black thing or a white thing or any other color thing, it is a listen to the damn cops, follow instructions and dont act like an a-hole thing.   

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The end goal is to end the war on drugs

30 years late. It was clear this was a failed policy in the 90's. I remember having an easier time getting illegal drugs than legal alcohol back then, not that either was hard.  It shouldve never started tbh

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Camden NJ defunded their policy in 2013 (check out the drop in crime since 2013)

I live in phlly media market. Camden increased police count in 2013. They closed the city pd and merged with county but net result was more officers and more budget. Is that what you are referring to? 

Note: I'm 100% for less laws, less prisons and less police but I didnt understand the point you were making.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Anger towards police has existed in inner cities for as long as I can remember (at least the 90’s). See Rodney King.

People have been protesting since the early 2010’s and rioting occasionally since Ferguson. These riots today are different because they’re continuous. The boycotts and strikes are getting more visible and wide spread.

For those that think this stuff doesn’t work, here’s what has happened, as far as I know, since the start of the movement: Camden NJ defunded their policy in 2013 (check out the drop in crime since 2013), Obama passed the equal sentencing act (this was done in 2010 though), Obama limited private prison use (However, Trump removed this limitation), Obama commuted many drug offenders that received lengthy sentences. Trump passed the first step act in 2018. Austin, Seattle, NYC, Minnesota and 9 other cities are working towards revamping their police budget in similar ways to what Camden did 7 years earlier.

The end goal is to end the war on drugs and hold police accountable when they brake the law.

What policies are being discussed:

- MORE Act sponsored by Kamala Harris - effectively ends the war on drugs at the federal level. This bill has passed committee

- Amash and Pressley have introduced a bipartisan bill to end qualified immunity.

- Tim Scott is proposing the Investing in Opportunity Act and has bipartisan support

I don’t like the rioting and the boycotts. However, major change in the US has never come peacefully.

I wouldnt thump my chest over Camden's drop in crime.  Cutting funding/# of police means less crime is being reported.  Can still go there anytime of day for a hooker, heroin or to get robbed. 

Look at NYC under Bloomberg.  Cops were talking people out of filing reports or going through the motions with victims of assault/robbery/etc, then throwing the paperwork in the trash, to make it look like crime rates were going down.

Pro Tip: if the e-hooker in Camden says she will meet you in the parking lot of her apartment complex, when you are done, take her up on the offer of walking you back to your car.  If she protected her money on the way in, she should protect your ass on the way out.

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Most of you guys will be back the minute they play again. I dont understand why people get so upset about these things. They have the right not to play for whatever reason they deem and you have the right not to watch anymore if you decide. Getting all worked up and issuing loud but ultimately hollow threats seems silly but also wrong. It's an attempt to coerce or control. Just quietly tune out or respect thier right to make a statement imo.

Plenty of other things to do for entertainment. Speaking of which anyone have an ETA on strip clubs reopening?

I lucked out and hit some strip clubs outside Philly when they re-opened earlier in the summer.  Bad thing is they didnt allow smoking and said they were probably not gonna bring it back.  

13 minutes ago, CTM said:

30 years late. It was clear this was a failed policy in the 90's. I remember having an easier time getting illegal drugs than legal alcohol back then, not that either was hard.  It shouldve never started tbh

I know. I was too young at the time to have a reasonable opinion. So I’m judging in hindsight. Hopefully like the failed war on alcohol of the prohibition era, people will look back and realize the laws we have are creating crime.

The other thing that was shocking is the CIA admitting it funneled drugs into black neighborhoods in the 80’s and 90’s. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, CTM said:

Wars aren't meant to be 'won' or 'lost'.

They're meant to continue indefinitely to the benefit of all the stakeholders.

There was a lot of money to be made from drug trafficking, private prisons, cheap labor (within those prisons). Like everything in this country, somebody is raking in the profits from all these developments. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The other thing that was shocking is the CIA admitting it funneled drugs into black neighborhoods in the 80’s and 90’s. 

This continues to this day. Minority neighbourhoods effectively funnel cheap labor into private prisons. 

Incarceration is profitable. This is why the police are legally authorised to plant evidence (like marijuana), stop and frisk, rape women in custody (its true), and do various other things. A militarised, legally-protected police can detain or arrest people with complete ease, which is exactly how our political and business elites like it. 

This will not change anytime soon. Any 'changes' you hear about are cosmetic. 

I said this in another thread, people protest yesterday's version of racism without recognising today's version of racism. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

This is why the police are legally authorised to plant evidence (like marijuana), stop and frisk, rape women in custody (its true), and do various other things. A militarised, legally-protected police can detain or arrest people with complete ease, which is exactly how our political and business elites like it. 

The ignorance in this statement is astounding. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Dear professional ball players,

If you think I'm going to support your families because you've chosen to not do your jobs over things I know have no basis in reality, you should guess again.

Love,

A Larger Portion of America Than You Think

What are you talking about? I hope your beloved team the jets sees this. 

And hate to break it to you..that "large portion of America" isn't that large. Plenty of people and fans are still watching...

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, DirtyJersey said:

If they want to make a change, they should start programs that teach people to listen to police.  It aint a black thing or a white thing or any other color thing, it is a listen to the damn cops, follow instructions and dont act like an a-hole thing.   

Or they will shot you in the back.  You left that part out.  

59 minutes ago, DirtyJersey said:

I think you and people like you need to do your research.

Please explain to me how was George Floyd not complying with the police? And in the case of Jacob Blake...

He posed no immediate threat to the cops as he walked, not run, walked around the passenger side of the car to the drivers side.

If your a trained official you should be able to take down a assailant who is posing no threat to you w your bare hands (and there was more than one cop on the scene)

Crap. Just last year a trained female mma fighter was able to stop a guy from muggin her...so a trained policeman couldn't do the same? And again he was WALKING AWAY from the cops

Also do your research on the athletes and their organizations that have been doing exact what you said they should do.

It's all there

I think some of you who post here.. before you post. Think about being in the shoes of a person of color.

Man or woman. The rules are not the same.

1 hour ago, CTM said:

I live in phlly media market. Camden increased police count in 2013. They closed the city pd and merged with county but net result was more officers and more budget. Is that what you are referring to? 

Note: I'm 100% for less laws, less prisons and less police but I didnt understand the point you were making.

The overall point of my post was that protest, rioting, etc lead to change. I listed all the changes that have come during the last decade in which the movement has taking place. My other point was to layout the goal of the protest and current legislation that'll help us reach that goal. 

Specific to the Camden point. I was trying to make the point that changing the goal or structure of police can lead to positive change. However, if you are saying it’s because of under reporting, then not much for me to debate. I think the rest of points hold true though.

Defunding might not be the right word. More like revamp the focus of police (is a move towards community policing). This could mean lower budgets or reallocated budgets. But this is just one part of it. Decriminalizing drugs and straight legalizing marijuana will help. 

18 minutes ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

I think you and people like you need to do your research.

Please explain to me how was George Floyd not complying with the police? And in the case of Jacob Blake...

He posed no immediate threat to the cops as he walked, not run, walked around the passenger side of the car to the drivers side.

If your a trained official you should be able to take down a assailant who is posing no threat to you w your bare hands (and there was more than one cop on the scene)

Crap. Just last year a trained female mma fighter was able to stop a guy from muggin her...so a trained policeman couldn't do the same? And again he was WALKING AWAY from the cops

Also do your research on the athletes and their organizations that have been doing exact what you said they should do.

It's all there

I think some of you who post here.. before you post. Think about being in the shoes of a person of color.

Man or woman. The rules are not the same.

You and people like you need to do your research. I don't think you really understand the police perspective of these issues. 

I'll just leave this link. It's a good watch and only 5 minutes of your life

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

You and people like you need to do your research. I don't think you really understand the police perspective of these issues. 

I have no issue with the police. 

Everything they do, unethical as it may be, is by the book. Which is why there is very little legal recourse for victims of police abuse. Even if it looks bad on camera, the police have legal protection that would hold up in a court of law. 

Democrat 'saviour of color' Kamala harris would know this, she had thousands of young people jailed in her time as a prosecutor, and protected hundreds of cops. 

I actually sympathise with the police, they're simply doing their jobs on the ground and they unfairly absorb the public's backlash on behalf of corrupt politicians and legislators.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Thats where you are wrong. 

I am not asking to defund the police. That thought is stupid. I clearly understand how dangerous their job is. But their job is not decide who lives or dies.

Again jacob posed no immediate threat. If he had a knife, he did not swing it at any officer while he was walking to the car...if that was the case I could see shooting him.

If Jacob was walking to the car with the intent to harm any of the police officers on the scene..the cops job is to deescalate the situation before it gets out of hand..tackling him to the ground  before he got to the car would of done just that.

My wife's cousins is a cop and he has told me good cops rather not draw their guns. They want to be able to go home to their families.

So they are suppose to do everything in their power and in hopes not have to shoot anyone.