Overreaction

Jetster

Did Sam suck? Definitely, did the team suck? Definitely. Is it going to be a long season? Definitely. 

I have no problem saying I was overly optimistic, but what I saw yesterday was a Buffalo team putting the final pcs into place for a Super Bowl run vs a team without draft picks that have stuck for 10 years & every Free Agent purchase total busts, Trumaine Johnson, CJ Mosely, Le'veon Bell. 

Thank God Joe Douglas is in charge. Right now we are definitely one of the teams that will be fighting for 2021s #1 pick. Pretty much every team we'll play this year has some continuity & none of them have as many individual changes that this team has gone through. I live down south, watched games (not Jets), saw it later on Gamepass, and these guys know football, some played at high levels & when I mentioned the Jets had 5 new starters on their Oline they couldn't believe it. That's unheard of in the NFL. 

Not having preseseason football for this Jet team was detrimental. This team needed live practice, Buffalo? Not so much. Right now we're a terrible team. Look at Herndon. The guy missed his entire Sophmore year & hasn't played a real game in forever. This season will be a total evaluation for JD from Gase, to even Darnold. If you don't think JD would be evaluating taking Trevor Lawrence & trading Sam Darnold if the Jets ended up with the 1st pick overall & pull an Arizona you haven't been paying attention. 

And if a team has a rash of injuries & inquires about Bell he'll dump him in a NY minute because realistically we all know he's not part of our future. The Oline played pretty good against a top 3 defense. They'll get better, Herndon will play himself back into sync, Mims will be back, Vincent Smith, Avery. I'm riding with JD to eventually right this ship. As of now the veterans don't want to play here, it's hamstring central, but everything starts in the trenches & works out from there. We got a long way to go (longer than I thought) but thank god he's sticking to the plan to avoid the Clowneys & any other high priced mercenaries. The long haul really sucks for fans but in truth it's never been taken here with any GM (never). Last year I thought Sam Darnold was the only safe player, now? No one should be safe in the eyes of our GM. Year #2 for Joe, we have to remember that since he came in after Maccs last draft. 

This whole thing has made it easier on me regarding the NFL & the politics I don't like. My viewing this year will be reduced immeasurably. I'll continue to just watch the Jets on Gamepass to evaluate the players, watch the rookies ect. But as far as my full attention like most years, this year I'll find better things to do on Sundays, and I fall asleep on the late games anyway.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 1

The overreaction was just ridiculous.  Even writing off this season after one game is ridiculous.  Yes, there were many parts of the game that were ugly.  From Darnold's poor play, which did include dropped passes on multiple 3rd down plays that would have extended drives.  It was a perfect storm of breakdowns that put the Jets behind initially.  I'm actually happy the Jets made a game of it.  Injuries to key players once again hurt us.  We could never get a momentum shift in the first half.  Also have to give Buffalo defense credit.

But take a step back, no pre-season, game on the road, the off-season has been anything but normal, and the Jets are rotating a lot of new into the roster and on the field than Buffalo was, that has an affect on a team.  Buffalo had that edge, an offense and defense with little roster turn over at key positions.  Darnold has all new weapons, a returning Herndon, a completely brand new OL.  And say what you want about Darnold and the offense in the first half, but the defense couldn't get off the field.  Multiple 3rd down plays they should have made a stop.  Cashman going down early hurt the middle of the defense.  And the penalties killed us, like I said, a perfect storm of breakdowns, nothing went right, it wasn't just one player, one unit, or one thing.  One less penalty on a critical 3rd down could have made a big difference.

Now they have a full game under their belt, the injuries were minimized.  We probably lose Bell and Cashman for a couple of weeks, but we get back Mims and Williamson next week...

Let's be patient for the first several games and see what they do before we start calling for regime change.  Fickle fans don't realize that firing the coach every other game is NOT a solution!

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

I think my first post after the game went something like- 'Sam didn't have a good game. But we are talking about a game on the road, no preseason, limited camp against one of the best defenses in the league- what do you expect!' 

So I completely agree. It's comical that on the one hand most fans didn't really think we would would win this game or be any good this season. And then we have a game like this against one of the best defenses in the NFL and the board goes berzerk. 

One thing I will say is the play-calling was once again predictable and questionable at best. I was never a fan of Gase, I want to give him a shot with Sam in year 3 and a revamped O-line but he is making it really really hard. 

I actually don't think we will have a shot at Lawrence (assuming he goes #1) barring a trade up. The Jets will probably win a handful of games if they stay healthy. They are not in full on tank mode. 

• Upvote 3

imo all games are winnable.  basically the jets did two things wrong.  first they failed to contain allen who hurt them with runs even though he did fumble twice.  second they were unable to get anything going offensively.  this has been something that's been going on for at least 10 seasons to place the blame on gase alone is foolish.  the oline needs to play together and they haven't had enough opportunity yet.  they'll get straightened out and we'll be seeing an improved team as the weeks go on.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The only thing that matters this year is whether or not Darnold can be the QB of the future. independent of everything else—Gase, the defense, the rookies, whatever—nothing else matters and none of it can be held up as an excuse. Sam sucked yesterday and we’re allowed to overreact to that fact. It’s his third year and, sure, everything around him sucks, but the QB has to elevate all that suckage, or at least show he can function amidst it. Darnold hasn’t as yet, and that’s DEFCON 1 sh*t, imo

Yeah but also no. It is a one game sample against a top 5 defense against the pass. There were portions of his performance that were not consistent with Sam’s previous performances. The lack of accuracy early and the bad throws one the run are not really a concern yet because right now they’re an anomaly. The big concern is his inability to deal with pressure. I don’t love Sam Darnold but he has an opportunity to recover.

10 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Yeah but also no. It is a one game sample against a top 5 defense against the pass. There were portions of his performance that were not consistent with Sam’s previous performances. The lack of accuracy early and the bad throws one the run are not really a concern yet because right now they’re an anomaly. The big concern is his inability to deal with pressure. I don’t love Sam Darnold but he has an opportunity to recover.

Was the weather an issue? It looked alright yesterday once the game started. I feel like Sam’s arm strength was a little lacking yesterday though

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The only thing that matters this year is whether or not Darnold can be the QB of the future. independent of everything else—Gase, the defense, the rookies, whatever—nothing else matters and none of it can be held up as an excuse. Sam sucked yesterday and we’re allowed to overreact to that fact. It’s his third year and, sure, everything around him sucks, but the QB has to elevate all that suckage, or at least show he can function amidst it. Darnold hasn’t as yet, and that’s DEFCON 1 sh*t, imo

This was the most discouraging part from yesterday. Yes, Gase sucks, we know. But Darnold was missing easy throws that a rookie should hit. I was optimistic that he'd make a third year jump and elevate the team but he's regressing instead.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

And now all of the reasonable and rationale fans come out of the woodwork to call out the 'over reactors'.  If yesterday's game wasn't reason enough to 'overreact' then running out of bounds to voluntarily take a 5 yard sack was!  Or completely losing sight of the clock AFTER A TV TIMEOUT for a penalty certainly was!  

It IS time to overreact.  It is a time to be fed up with Gase.  There is absolutely no excuse for yesterday's sh*tshow.  It is time to be fed up with STILL seeing free agents stinking up the field!  Desir, McGovern, Van Roten, Perriman ALL STUNK.  Rookies can't get out of the trainers rooms and onto the field!  It's time to complain.  LOUDLY!

I watched a lot of football yesterday.  And funnily enough, none of them had a the luxury of a real training camp, pre-season games, et al.  Some of them were breaking in new players and new coaches (i.e., Washington, Bengals) and yet I didn't see any team as unprepared and talent-less as the Jets.

Stop overreacting to overreacting.  It's time to demand more.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ewww I’m agreeing with you I need to bathe these cooties away

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

18/39 - 150- 1 interception. Tom Bradys stat line last year in Buffalo.

They are a very good team 4 years into their rebuild. This is our 1st year really (JD has had 1 draft). 

no one is doubting buffalos D.  The issue with the qb is that hes missing wide open receivers, doesnt exhibit the confidence youd hope for in a 3rd year franchise qb, he makes poor decisions in the moment, etc etc. Etc etc etc

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Even if he can’t elevate it, he has to show you at least that he’s not a major contributor to all of it.  So far, all we know is he’s better than Luke Falk.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think these things were very, very consistent with what we’ve seen, though. 

The accuracy was weird especially on the run. The happy feet, bad form and bad decision making was on brand for him. That being said if he makes 2 of those passes he missed early on then we have first down and sustained drives. Again, I’ve never loved Darnold’s game but yesterday featured new errors that may or may not be a part of his makeup going forward.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JetsRay said:

Let's be patient for the first several games and see what they do before we start calling for regime change.  Fickle fans don't realize that firing the coach every other game is NOT a solution!

Gase has been a terrible HC his entire NFL career and has the numbers to back it up.  This isn't a overreaction based on one game but rather 4+ years of Gase ineptitude.  Keeping a bad coach to get some continuity and stability is the real recipe for disaster and a pattern the Jets have been stuck in for years.  Well run organizations recognize mistakes and quickly move on from them.  Unfortunately, no one is confusing the Jets with a well run organization.

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I feel like Sam’s arm strength is always lacking.

I don’t disagree but seemed a little moreso. Maybe it was just me. Going to rewatch this trainwreck when they post the coach’s film on Gamepass to see the WRs and oline better

What happened to Jets are contenders. Allen sucks, Darnold is coming into his own?

Seems like last week that's all we heard on here.

'49's are smarting, get some weapons back, have a real coach. Jets have no homefield advantage. Gase sucks, Sam has no heart.

Could get ugly in Mudville next week.

51 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Really enjoying the combination of "you negative nancies are all overreacting" and "there's a legitimate chance we will be literally the worst team in the NFL this season"

Sounds worse when you say it that way. let's go with we are in the running to be a top finisher in the draft next year. 

3 hours ago, JetsRay said:

The overreaction was just ridiculous.  Even writing off this season after one game is ridiculous.  Yes, there were many parts of the game that were ugly.  From Darnold's poor play, which did include dropped passes on multiple 3rd down plays that would have extended drives.  It was a perfect storm of breakdowns that put the Jets behind initially.  I'm actually happy the Jets made a game of it.  Injuries to key players once again hurt us.  We could never get a momentum shift in the first half.  Also have to give Buffalo defense credit.

But take a step back, no pre-season, game on the road, the off-season has been anything but normal, and the Jets are rotating a lot of new into the roster and on the field than Buffalo was, that has an affect on a team.  Buffalo had that edge, an offense and defense with little roster turn over at key positions.  Darnold has all new weapons, a returning Herndon, a completely brand new OL.  And say what you want about Darnold and the offense in the first half, but the defense couldn't get off the field.  Multiple 3rd down plays they should have made a stop.  Cashman going down early hurt the middle of the defense.  And the penalties killed us, like I said, a perfect storm of breakdowns, nothing went right, it wasn't just one player, one unit, or one thing.  One less penalty on a critical 3rd down could have made a big difference.

Now they have a full game under their belt, the injuries were minimized.  We probably lose Bell and Cashman for a couple of weeks, but we get back Mims and Williamson next week...

From what I saw in the game, if Herdon doesn't get that (rediculous call of it being a catch and then reversal then not), we have a chance to win the game even if that drive which was at the 50 yard line winds up in a FG. We could have been within 8 points with most of the 4th qtr still to play and we had all the momentum. Just wasn't meant to be.

24 minutes ago, Jethead said:

What happened to Jets are contenders. Allen sucks, Darnold is coming into his own?

Seems like last week that's all we heard on here.

'49's are smarting, get some weapons back, have a real coach. Jets have no homefield advantage. Gase sucks, Sam has no heart.

Could get ugly in Mudville next week.

Or it could get ugly for the 49ers in a must win game vs an inferior opponent. Pressure is all on them. Jets should regroup & wing it next week. 

Ok my 2 cents.  It's the first game and we have a nonstop turnover of coaches and staff.   JD has his first draft class and the sky is falling is the same knee jerk reaction I see year on year here from some.    If anything these hamstring injuries are a big concern because it's major problem with this team.   I don't have a great answer to fixing the Jets yet I really think JD will get this team turned around.   I liked the draft class they just need to see these young guys get some action.   So is it an overreaction? some will say no and some will say yes.  For me I'm tired of overreacting to a game that's suppose to be fun to watch for entertainment purposes.  

• Upvote 2