Gase: "There Aren't Many Play Calls For 4th and 7"

BettyBoop

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

In-game adaptability is a key trait to have as a HC.  Gase is severely lacking it, even if he's a good whiteboard guy and scheme guy from Monday to Friday.  This kinda goes back to a big trend last year.  Remember how the Jets were very, very good on their first drive or two of several games?  There was something like a streak of 4 or 5 games where they scored TDs on the opening drive.  That speaks to Gase's ability to gameplan and script plays while in a bubble during the week leading up to the game.  But when the opponent adjusts Gase is unable to respond.  He might be the perfect HC if half-time lasted 2 days allowing him to go back to his lab by himself, watch film and design a 2nd half approach.  But in-game feel, flow, adaptability....not his strong suit. 

Yep, agreed. 

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Ah, Dowell Loggains.... the next sacrificial lamb of a Jets HC.

"It's the coordinator's fault."

lol

It's definitely the fault of the Go'fur that didn't design the Offense and doesn't call the plays.  Totally. 

Gase's coffee, not hot enough = bad offense.

With that said, Gase has three sacrificial lambs he can (and I believe will) throw under the bus:  Loggains, Williams, Darnold.

I hope JD is smarter than to allow that.

• Post of the Week 1

Wait...do we have a QB coach yet?  No!  Gase = hubris.  If he hasn't done so already we'll be losing the locker room shortly.  I loved that 4-5 game streak where we scored a TD on our first possession....turns out is was fools gold.  

On the other side of the ball, does Williams really need Ja-mal to make his defense work?  I feel like I'm losing my mind.  :)  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Ah, Dowell Loggains.... the next sacrificial lamb of a Jets HC.

"It's the coordinator's fault."

lol

If Rex Ryan was allowed to scapegoat Brian Schottenheimer without Jets fans uttering a word of disagreement, then Adam Gase can scapetoat Dowell Loggains and Jets fans can similarly keep quiet.

Looking back, we should have kicked Rex to the curb, kept Tannenbaum, promoted Schottenheimer, and gave him time to develop Mark Sanchez.  Hell, turns out he could have taken 10 years to try to get something out of Mark and we'd be in a better situation than we are now. 

This franchise went to pot the moment Tanny and Schotty were sacrificed for Rex.  You Jets fans and your airplanes and your social media venom.  You get what you deserve.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It sounds like Gore was on a rotation or was always going to come out after 3 straight plays and Gase didn't recognize the momentary importance of having Gore try to get that half yard instead of Adams. He's a bad in-game coach - he's one of those really bright scheme guys who has no feel for the flow of the game. Reminds me of a lot of bad head coaches. He's just not good at his job. 

Show me the brilliant scheme...even without all of the game day stuff. What about his scheme is brilliant? This is one of those things that comes from somewhere and then just keeps getting repeated. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

Show me the brilliant scheme...even without all of the game day stuff. What about his scheme is brilliant? This is one of those things that comes from somewhere and then just keeps getting repeated. 

I'm not going to pretend to know enough to tell you that he is a bright X's and O's guy. But, a lot of NFL people at least pretend to think so and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. 

What I'm saying is, regardless of how good (or bad) his scheme may be, he has no inherent feel for the momentum of the game. He's a bad gameday coach and probably always will be. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It sounds like Gore was on a rotation or was always going to come out after 3 straight plays and Gase didn't recognize the momentary importance of having Gore try to get that half yard instead of Adams. He's a bad in-game coach - he's one of those really bright scheme guys who has no feel for the flow of the game. Reminds me of a lot of bad head coaches. He's just not good at his job. 

I'm not even sure that he's a good scheme guy. If he were, wouldn't his offenses start out good each game but then stink later, especially in the second half, as the other team makes adjustments?

I totally agree that he has no feel for being a head coach. It's the Peter Principle again. Like almost all first time head coaches who fail and get fired, he needed to return to being an assistant for awhile to get perspective before getting another head gig. This is all on the Johnsons.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If you're saying the Jets should have fired the HC at the same time the HC scapegoated the coordinator then why now shouldn't we fire the HC if he tries to scapegoat the coordinator?

My point is that the Jets and their fans were wrong.  They listened to the media, kept the ratings-friendly head coach who clearly was ignoring the offense, and ran Schottenheimer and Sanchez out the door.  Idzik and Sporano over Tannenbaum and Schottenheimer.  Disasterous.

We have a history of targeting the wrong bad guy and letting the media get us all worked up.  It's time for that to stop.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1